Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas, Self-Catering, France

Poster: A snowHead
I appreciate the answer is - too early to say.

For numerous reasons, I think Xmas will be the only practical time for us to go skiing next season (save the will we/won't we discussions for one of the many other threads). Just wondered, with Xmas falling on Saturday, whether this is:

1. Make no difference to booking dates
2. Sunday to Sunday
3. Longer period

As I say - prob too early to tell. Just bored at work
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boris, I'd have thought it worth going say 23rd and booking longer say until 1st? I guess it depends on the rental agency though.

Out of interest its been a while since we were in France for skiing, thinking Tignes mid December for a week, cheeky few days if we can get over to Austria in summer and rescue our kit, where is the best place to look for s/c accommodation in say Tignes/ Val or VT, with a car parking availability, and what agencies to use?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, For Tignes I usually use Agence Roc Blanc, have only booked parking through the office in the Maison de Tignes.

Last time I stayed in Val Thorens I just used the central booking service.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, I've always booked through local tourist board

I seem to recall last time this happened there was 10-day breaks and then cheap shorter holidays for periods either side. While it will be costly I'm all for treating ourselves and being there Xmas and NY

Had hoped that this would be the cheap season as kids will all be at Uni, but combination of late Easter, exams, boys 21st etc means non starter

Although Mrs B and I may have a sneaky cheap break
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Boris, you'd need to approach specific places to gauge x-mas arrangements. Some have, in the past, carried on as normal with turning out day on the Saturday, but some go with extra day to leave sunday.

Then it also gives them the new year also going into sunday, follwed by "shorting" the next week to get back on track to sat turn round.

Guess it depends on their focus clientele as to which gets most coverage and bookings.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, When I stayed in Val Thorens I dumped the car down in Les Menuires after unloading and got the bus back up, the bus is free except for Saturdays so if there is a different changeover day you may get lucky.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boris, we have booked an apartment in Ste Foy from 19th to 26th for us and family, and then also booked the same place for the previous week, 12th to 19th, so we will rattle around till the other 8 arrive but it was very cheap and we can get organised and maybe find out if we still have ski legs. Val Moret booked for the 11th. All fingers crossed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boris, We've been going Christmas since 2009 (France, apartments) - booking through tourist websites, local agents or directly - so gone through most of the days/dates of Christmas. We've never noticed any difference regardless of the day Christmas fell on in terms of availability. Always stayed Sat to Sat. But I think some of the TO's have and will vary their dates.

This year schools break up on 17th Dec so we will be going December 18th to 25th.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, I did wonder if it would be TOs who vary dates. Personally not bothered about arriving Xmas Day - will have a Xmas at hone and just enjoy the time there
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We looked at crystal and they seemed to be doing mon to mon for xmas and new years weeks.
Some good deals from mon to sat early jan to get back to normal sat to sat.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, I had an enquiry for our apartment today. They asked for 19-26.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:

Out of interest - did you/would you accept?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
@Markymark29, When I stayed in Val Thorens I dumped the car down in Les Menuires after unloading and got the bus back up, the bus is free except for Saturdays so if there is a different changeover day you may get lucky.

It's not free on Saturdays as it doesn't run then. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pamski, will the Sainte Foy pistes be open as early as the 12 December?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bergmeister, There are buses on Saturdays between Les Menuires and Val Thorens, you can catch the one coming up from Moutiers, the ticket office in Les Menuires shuts early though.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
@Boris, we have booked an apartment in Ste Foy from 19th to 26th for us and family, and then also booked the same place for the previous week, 12th to 19th, so we will rattle around till the other 8 arrive but it was very cheap and we can get organised and maybe find out if we still have ski legs. Val Moret booked for the 11th. All fingers crossed.

Hope you don't mind my asking, did you get that directly or through UK agent?
latest report
@pam w, maybe not but we can go up the road.@ski3, direct.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Out of interest - did you/would you accept?

I didn't accept, as we are hoping to be there ourselves, and have ample time to get another booking if we can't. My housekeeper/manager has booked them into another apartment, and may move them to mine if we aren't able to come.
snow report
Interesting - guess will be wait and see nearer time when apartments are online and bookable. Which is usually September

Of course we may know then by then which/if daughter goes to Uni and if she gets a reading week in-line with boys. In which case Jan trip!
snow conditions
@Markymark29,
Try www.tignes-spirit.com
snow report
@Kenzie, Ta!
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Out of interest its been a while since we were in France for skiing, thinking Tignes mid December for a week, cheeky few days if we can get over to Austria in summer and rescue our kit, where is the best place to look for s/c accommodation in say Tignes/ Val or VT, with a car parking availability, and what agencies to use?

Last time I went to Tignes - a couple of years ago - we used the resort search:

https://en.tignes.net/holidays/accommodation/booking
latest report
@pamski.....that's because the resort isn't open until the 19th I think.......but you can always go up to VDI or Tignes.

which accommodation are you booked into ?

we arrive in SF 28th Dec to avoid xmas/boxing day rush and not leaving on NY day
latest report
@stefoy4me, thank you- I think that is what I meant! Etoile des Cimes where we stayed December 2019 which worked well for us with grandchildren. Little did we know then that would be their only ski holiday for a while. We were lucky to go on to Austria for a month.
snow conditions
@Boris, What we used to do, for reasonably early xmas week bookings was be flexible as NY week was always more lucrative and so we tried to maximise that one.

People tended to not want to travel on NY day...
latest report
@under a new name, I'm happy to travel NY day, the issue I have with that week is the boys turn 21 on the 4th and will probably want to do something with friends.

Mind you a paid for ski holiday may tempt them

I just want to get something booked Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy