Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

leather/Goretex gloves and mittens: CLEANING??? (and waterproofing)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of "REUSCH DOWN SPIRIT GTX MITTEN" with goatskin leather palm.

how do you clean those? it says no wash, not even handwash, so I wonder what is the trick to keep them clean.

On a different note: I read several websites about keeping the waterproofing and applying the specific wax treatment (like sno-seal). However on some GoreTex video i read that applying the wax (instead of a spray) does jeopardize breathability. How do you solve it? apply sno-seal to the leather only and spray to the goretex? else?
any hint is appreciated

thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Their website says you can wash them.

[EDIT] I should read before I post
Quote:

Gloves with leather parts should not be washed, but cleaned with a wet cloth.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My gloves with goat leather seem to wash fine, also have had complete saturation soaking while in use and return to normal supple condition afterwards.

I use this https://gsequestrian.co.uk/products/effol-effax-leather-balsam-647e?variant=4749494386721&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImsWA9pa17wIVR7TtCh3G8gPTEAQYAiABEgIXk_D_BwE on leather gloves etc for ski motorcycle and other as it appears to make them impervious to water deterioration.

Appears to absorb completely into the leather, then not wipe off as it ends up touch dry, effective and tested for more than 10 yrs Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also use this https://www.wilko.com/wilko-original-liquid-soapflakes-750ml/p/0412410?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Zno_Ji17wIVCOrtCh12JAKJEAQYASABEgI6aPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds for washing sensitive fabrics.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have leather gloves. I don't clean/wash them but they don't seem to get that dirty anyway. I just apply waterproofing for leather once in a while.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I just get Granger's glove balm from a local motorbike shop for the princely sum of 99p a mini tub then have a mindfulness session applying it. Best to then bake them on a sunny windowsill to let the balm penetrate.

Washing? No nothing beats the great manly smell of "glove hand".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use Hestra Glove balm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I just get Granger's glove balm from a local motorbike shop for the princely sum of 99p a mini tub then have a mindfulness session applying it. Best to then bake them on a sunny windowsill to let the balm penetrate.

Washing? No nothing beats the great manly smell of "glove hand".

A mate has absolutely minging gloves like that, I don't think I want to know how on earth they get so bad. Probably wouldn't pass border checks now in current state of travelling scrutiny Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Same as @Layne, I dont clean mine apart from a bit of a spot wipe (the amount I use them maybe mean they dont get that dirty) but before each ski trip (one of those fun pre-trip rituals) I will use Nikwax Waterproofing Wax For Leather. Seems to waterproof them well.

As to any smell, they are lined with thinsulate but I found them a bit cold so I also wear thin inner gloves ( a cheap pair from decathlon) and the added benefit is that these are in between sweaty hands and the leather themselves. The liners are easy to wash or if it comes to it , can get chucked and a new pair bought as they are only a few pounds.

If you are really worried then you can get Nikwax Leather Cleaner as well. But I certainly wouldn't saturate them with water if I could avoid it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I washed my hestras by hand and the liner got tangled up. Ended up cutting the membrane out and leaving the fleece liner in. I cannot tell the difference between the one with the membrane and the one without!
Learning points for me = don't turn the gloves inside out and membranes are bunk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seconded for Hestra Glove Balm, I use that on my ME Randonee glove palms.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy