Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire (again!) am I missing any tricks?

Poster: A snowHead
I need a car in March just for me for 2 weeks from Chambery airport.

Went on about a zillion different sites and kept finding very different prices. Eventually opened an 'incognito window' and got a slightly cheaper price than I had seen anywhere through Skyscanner. The offer there was a small auto (Corsa or alike) for £595. Clicked to book and got taken to another site and the price was suddenly £725! All of this was for a car from Alamo.

Anyway, after some more serching I found that same car offer for £615 and booked it.

24 hours later and I'm still thinking could I have got it cheaper? What's the secret to getting the best deal?

Am I worried about the £20 differece from the cheapest to what I booked, not really, I just like to think I've got the best deal! Oh, and they want £65 for chains... I'll buy some on the way up the mountain, I'm going shopping anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ciderinsport, just make sure you get free cancellation and then you can keep looking!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip wrote:
@ciderinsport, just make sure you get free cancellation and then you can keep looking!

Got that!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ciderinsport, Has your airline got any offers? I’ve had some good deals booked through EasyJet before. They use Europcar or similar to actually supply the vehicle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always use Autoeurope to search and book (with free cancellation if the price goes down). Worth a try?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use a VPN and noticed that prices will change if I use a different location. Nothing dodgy with the details - still the same address and info etc. I have a friend who books flights as if from India and gets cheaper tickets. Only a recent discovery so not tested too much yet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I booked using Rentalcars.com a couple of months before assuming that prices would only get dearer - a week before I upgraded for £7 less, so its always worth checking again nearer the time.

I never take the extra insurance - I get seperate excess cover which is always much cheaper, but I do think by doing that the hire companies are a lot more likely to find damage that you didn't actually do (or that doesn't actually exist).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's worth considering car hire excess insurance - only about £30
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also worth checking they are equipped with winter tyres "pneus hiver" otherwise you might have to folk out more at the counter (unless you have chains).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rhoobarb wrote:
I use a VPN and noticed that prices will change if I use a different location. Nothing dodgy with the details - still the same address and info etc. I have a friend who books flights as if from India and gets cheaper tickets. Only a recent discovery so not tested too much yet.
what a great shout!
Don’t have an Indian VPN, but tried Switzerland, and got 10%cheaper price.
Booked that before it disappeared, now off to check out other countries!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will try the VPN trick. Ta for that Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you tried the turo App
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The VPN trick is a good one, but for car hire, be careful of different terms and conditions based on point of sale. Sometimes you lose inclusive CDW or similar. With flights, the high end search tools like itamatrix will let you manually configure your point of sale, to save trying to VPN your way around the world.

If you end up booking with hertz, discount code 569608 still seems to be the best, and only requires you to hold a Mastercard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I usually start with Auto Europe (a consolidator) to get the lay of the land, then go to the individual websites for each agency. Even if the prices aren't the lowest, it gives me an idea of which companies are likely to be cheapest.

Also, I then go through my Flying Blue frequent flyer account to see if they'll match or beat anything I find earlier. Sometimes I'll try through a VPN -- as noted you get different coverage levels sometimes which can cancel out any savings -- but by that point I'm usually sick of the process.

I rarely use off-brand agencies unless it's someplace like Malaga, where they are so much cheaper and pretty reliable.

The whole thing is a PITA but I rarely feel that I'm paying substantially more than the best rate. You have to balance time vs savings.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jimmjimm, Have you used the turo app?
I was looking at car rental in the US a couple of years back and saw that or something similar but didn't need it in the end.
Looks like the Airbnb of car rentals so would be interesting to find out more about it from somebody who has actually used it.
snow report
I also have a car rental reservation (with free cancellation of course Smile ) coming up and was trying to see if I could get better deals. On consolidator websites (e.g. auto europe, travelsupermarket etc) they don't really specify if cars will be equipped with winter tyres. Is there a way to filter that? Prices are cheaper but if they don't come with winter tyres and I will have to pay for chains or winter tyres upgrade at the desk which may end up more expensive.
ski holidays
euanovsky wrote:
I also have a car rental reservation (with free cancellation of course Smile ) coming up and was trying to see if I could get better deals. On consolidator websites (e.g. auto europe, travelsupermarket etc) they don't really specify if cars will be equipped with winter tyres. Is there a way to filter that? Prices are cheaper but if they don't come with winter tyres and I will have to pay for chains or winter tyres upgrade at the desk which may end up more expensive.

Depends where you are renting from!

Geneva it's included by law. France it isn't...
I've rented a few times from Chambery and only once got snow tyres. Most times got chains at no extra cost but had to pay once.. Geneva last month I had snow tyres but had to pay for chains as I was heading to France - mind you I got a car for £116 for 6 days so didn't mind a little extra!
ski holidays
Sorry can I ask, if renting from GVA and winter tyres included, do I need chains as well for travel into France. I thought it was either/or not both?
ski holidays
euanovsky wrote:

You can normally tell if you click through to the extras that can be ordered - if there is "Snow chains" or "Winterisation" as an extra then it isn't included.

When we booked from Grenoble on Rentalcars.com we were told the price of snow chains but you were to pay for them when you got there - when we got there the price was a lot more than we had been told, but they said that if we returned them unused we'd get a refund so actually it was a "better" offer. I have no idea if we did or not, because we actually ended up having to claim on our 3rd party excess as we were charged for damage to the wheel trims (we had pictures to prove they hadn't been damaged but Avis wouldn't refund the charges for the damage) so hubby probably forgot to check if the snow chain charge was refunded.

I prefer to fly to Geneva and get a car swiss side - that way you know you'll get winter tyres or chains and with snow conditions as they are I think Geneva gives you more options to switch accomodation to follow the snow assuming you've booked it with a cancel option.
latest report
Dave301 wrote:
Sorry can I ask, if renting from GVA and winter tyres included, do I need chains as well for travel into France. I thought it was either/or not both?

I think it's either or - and with current conditions unlikely you'll need to test the theory.

We arrived in a snowstorm at 1900 in Valmeneir in January and in several inches the snow tyres were fantastic - I was very sceptical before that.
latest report
The legal requirement in France is either/or. But in the unlikely event of its ever snowing heavily again on a busy day, the gendarmes can, and do, insist you use chains, despite having snow tyres. If you don't have them your option is then to turn round and buy some down the road somewhere. If there are any left.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
skichampcouk wrote:
@jimmjimm, Have you used the turo app?
I was looking at car rental in the US a couple of years back and saw that or something similar but didn't need it in the end.
Looks like the Airbnb of car rentals so would be interesting to find out more about it from somebody who has actually used it.

Yes I used it last year when it was called OUICAR. Has been bought by TURO now. Worked out perfectly and about a third of the price back then.
On both occasions I paid the owner an extra 10 euro to meet me at the airport and I dropped him off at his base. Likewise on return, he dropped me back to the airport.
snow report
To follow on from this popped on to see if there was and price differences and got the next grade up (medium auto) for £486 for 2 weeks - £129 cheaper - happy days Very Happy
snow report
We used the Turo App over Christmas as commercial rental prices were ridiculous. We hired a larger than required car for 50% of the commercial rate - owner met us at Geneva airport and handover process was seamless. I'll struggle to use the commercial companies ever again......For the initiated, Turo is akin to the AirBnB of rental cars - you hire a car directly from the owner.
latest report
Obviously depends on which resort you're going to, etc, but I found hiring in Italy was about a 3rd the price of France. It's around 4 hours drive from Turin to the main areas, but worth the extra time vs the savings. Flight times to Turin also seemed a little better too.
snow conditions
Main trick you're missing is going to Chambery instead of Milan I just booked 9 days car hire starting 8 March for £29!
latest report
ciderinsport wrote:
euanovsky wrote:

Depends where you are renting from!

Geneva it's included by law. France it isn't...
I've rented a few times from Chambery and only once got snow tyres. Most times got chains at no extra cost but had to pay once.. Geneva last month I had snow tyres but had to pay for chains as I was heading to France - mind you I got a car for £116 for 6 days so didn't mind a little extra!

Thanks for this ... useful as I was about to try and search threads for this!
ski holidays
Avoid Goldcar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goldcar can be OK, just make sure you check the small print and have separate excess insurance. In Italy at least, there are definitely worse companies around than Goldcar!
snow conditions
BenTisdall wrote:
Main trick you're missing is going to Chambery instead of Milan I just booked 9 days car hire starting 8 March for £29!

I've booked similar, but always decide on hire company reviews as well as price. Crazy how much more expensive France is for car hire or is it that airport? Every time I've hire in Italy winter or summer hire prices very reasonable.
ski holidays
Chambery airport is great unless it’s snowing, foggy, rainy, low cloud, wind blowing in the wrong direction, or any other weather condition that makes it difficult to see the mountains you don’t want to hit. In those circumstances you are off to Milan anyway!
ski holidays
pandora wrote:
Chambery airport is great unless it’s snowing, foggy, rainy, low cloud, wind blowing in the wrong direction, or any other weather condition that makes it difficult to see the mountains you don’t want to hit. In those circumstances you are off to Milan anyway!

Is that the official pilot's version Very Happy
snow report
@pandora, or off to East Mids, as one poster the other day (after taking off from East Mids about 9 hours earlier and going via Turin and Lyon, all without setting foot off the plane)
snow conditions
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@pandora, or off to East Mids, as one poster the other day (after taking off from East Mids about 9 hours earlier and going via Turin and Lyon, all without setting foot off the plane)

Just been and had a read of this ^^. Depressingly predictable. Chambery is not an airport I would plan to use if I actually definitely needed to get to a particular place! It is notorious for diversions.

And @stevew - from a pilot’s perspective Chambery needs a bit of extra planning! It is one of the more challenging airports in Europe. Have not been in decades, but it was certainly always fun in the simulator. The issues include a steep approach (necessary because of rising terrain) which means less time to see the runway in poor weather conditions, and if the wind is favouring the northerly runway you have to carry out a complicated visual circling approach which requires you to maintain visual contact with the ground at all times - difficult if it’s crap weather! Still, it’s a cheap airport for landing fees, not a lot of rental cars though! I would stick to the bigger airports if you want cheap car hire and better chance of actually getting in in bad weather. Geneva, Munich, Zurich, Milan (either one) all much more reliable.
ski holidays
More of a French motorways question, so apologise for putting it on this thread. Do toll booth's, take contactless cards. Thanks in advance answer replies.
snow conditions
Yes
ski holidays
Thanks. Likely my next trip will include a hire car and that will help enormously.
ski holidays
So... does anybody have actual experience of getting an excess refunded either by AutoEurope under their Refundable Excess / Full Damage & Theft Protection policy or from one of the third-party companies that you can find on MoneySavingExpert etc?

I know that the theory of both are sound, but like any insurance policy, it seems like there are various hoops to jump through. In AutoEurope's case, having to provide a police report if applicable and / or photographic evidence of the damage caused. My concern with the latter always being the risk of the "damage" being identified at a point at which you can't then take a photo of it anyway.

Now I remember why I used to always take the safe option of just paying the hire company direct for everything and then just being happy at the end of a trip when I haven't had an accident anyway!
snow conditions
I’ve submitted two claims to Insurance4CarHire. Both were paid promptly and in full.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I’ve submitted two claims to Insurance4CarHire. Both were paid promptly and in full.

Thanks. That reminds me: I bought a policy with them once ahead of a trip (can't remember if it was one to the States or New Zealand). Anyway, I ended up going with the in-house comprehensive stuff and cancelled my policy during the cooling-off period, which was very simple and was refunded very swiftly. So that's a tick for them on that score as well!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy