Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What I hate about Skiing/Snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
@Mjit, Stick a spare pair in your rucksack and wrap inside a spare layer, seems to work.

Reminded me of one that I forgot.....the "ah I see you've got a rucksack on, can you please just carry this for me, my pockets are full?" comment.......my reading of this is "so its OK for me to be packo-the-packhorse then?".....most notably a can of redbull that burst when I leant back against the chairlift seat......jeez, I hate the smell of the stuff, and so sticky! Not what you need inside your ABS.....oh how we (well they not me) laughed! Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not being knowledgeable enough to safely manage the conflict between 'I want to ski down that' and 'that may cause an avalanche, killing me and others'.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mjit wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
I'm one of those tw@s with magnetic changeable lenses. Literally takes seconds. Makes a huge difference with changing light conditions.

Changable google lenses, magnetic or otherwise are the worst invention ever to grace skiing!

Previously I only had 1 lens. Sometimes it was correct for the conditions, sometimes it wasn't - but either way it was what it was and there was nothing I could do about it.

Now I have a lens that works well in bright conditions and one that works well in poor light - so now I have the joy of knowing that the correct lens for this afternoon's conditions is...generally the one back in the apartment, having desided it was an "X" day and not wanting to risk my "Y" lens getting crushed in my backpack Sad

In my defence, I won them. But I make no apology, they're are great. Summit Worldwide ones.

I've been quite lucky with my ski comps on facebook.

So far I've won (in the the 3 years just entering random comps as they appear on facebook or insta)

A pair of these https://summitworldwide.co/shop/summit-magnetic-ski-goggles-xpose-2-master/
A pair of these https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/product/W0OO7047S?variant=888392329059
A pair of these https://www.glideslide.co.uk/ski-equipment/skis/salomon-xdr-84-ti-skis-with-warden-13-bindings__16176
and last but not least..
A pair of these https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-race-c6/race-skis-c20/gs-skis-c77/atomic-redster-g9-gs-skis-183cm-x-12-tl-bindings-2018-p2100
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiers taking my eye out with their sticks in queues.

Drunk Austrians spilling beer on me.

Rude French folks

Russians
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hang11 wrote:
The smell of my thermals after day 30

Getting covered in mud every time I go near my truck

Dude, even merino wool needs washing more often than that. And just park your truck where it drains better, not just the place that looks like there are less kea.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Being cold (granted always my own fault for not dressing correctly, but not pleasant sitting on a chair freezing).

The one-upmanship/elitism

Flights/transport

Quote:

Trying to sleep at altitude

Other than Colorado I can't think where this would be an issue?! Even Breck is low enough that it shouldn't really effect sleep. Are you sure it's not jetlag/being in an unusual environment more than altitude?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris wrote:
hang11 wrote:
The smell of my thermals after day 30

Getting covered in mud every time I go near my truck

Dude, even merino wool needs washing more often than that. And just park your truck where it drains better, not just the place that looks like there are less kea.

Going to add:

Kea eating my binding straps/wiper blades/roof racks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Belgians on the drive down.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="boarder2020"

Quote:

Trying to sleep at altitude

Other than Colorado I can't think where this would be an issue?! Even Breck is low enough that it shouldn't really effect sleep. Are you sure it's not jetlag/being in an unusual environment more than altitude?[/quote]

Breck can definitely be challenging for sleep after you've flown in. I don't sleep well in Val Thorens either (well usually adjust by about the last night) which can be somewhat knackering if you're burning oil at the EOSB then wide awake before 6am.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Packing.
Putting ski boots on the first morning.
Going down slippy steps in mountain restaurants to the loo.
Getting on the older chairlifts (although I still take them as they tend to lead to less busy pistes)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As mentioned above, standing in a long queue seeing chairs going up half-empty. A combination of the people at the front who stand there waiting for their group who are further behind and the lifties who can't be bothered to do anything about it.

The people who bring the bar down on chairs half a millisecond after you've sat down, or worse when you haven't even got that far yet.

Sheet ice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

As mentioned above, standing in a long queue seeing chairs going up half-empty. A combination of the people at the front who stand there waiting for their group who are further behind and the lifties who can't be bothered to do anything about it.

The people who bring the bar down on chairs half a millisecond after you've sat down, or worse when you haven't even got that far yet.

Europe problems. Go to north America and you don't get the first, second is rare (quite often people don't bother using the bar).

Quote:

I don't sleep well in Val Thorens either

I've never heard of people sleeping bad that low. I've spent a few summers working at 2200m and we have people come straight from sea level for hiking trips and they don't really miss a beat until it comes to the first uphill climb.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Europe problems. Go to north America and you don't get the first, second is rare (quite often people don't bother using the bar).

Loathe flying. Haven't done so since 2005. Always drive. Maybe Boris will build a bridge across the Atlantic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrrggghhhh.....not really sure I should be posting in this thread.... Toofy Grin

Not being able to ski with my UK-based Brit mates this season

Not being able to stop at my favourite hutte...this season

Having to clear snow from my extensive driveway before going skiing, and sometimes when I get back

Toofy Grin

A lot of the already posted things resonate, pre moving to Austria Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
@MjitReminded me of one that I forgot.....the "ah I see you've got a rucksack on, can you please just carry this for me, my pockets are full?" comment.......my reading of this is "so its OK for me to be packo-the-packhorse then?".....most notably a can of redbull that burst when I leant back against the chairlift seat......jeez, I hate the smell of the stuff, and so sticky! Not what you need inside your ABS.....oh how we (well they not me) laughed! Laughing

That's why you take your rucksack off when getting on chairs, that and getting a strap caught when you want to get off?
snow report
A rainy day, one of those soggy days its rains up to the peak/top lift.
ski holidays
Quote:
What I hate about Skiing/Snowboarding
Not being able to.
snow conditions
Nothing. Well, ok, in-resort traffic. The only upside of this non-season Confused snowHead
ski holidays
Dog turds barely covered with a dusting of snow.
latest report
Anyone who mentions « radius » when describing skis...
ski holidays
when every year, reaching that binding was always a bit further away.
ski holidays
Hotels/chalets where you're provoded with a duvet which is only 3 inches wider than the Be Nice please! bed, and you spend the entire week playing Sophie's Choice with your bum and your knees.
latest report
People drinking alcohol at lunch time, often more than enough to fail a breath test if driving.

Why is it acceptable to ski after drinking?
latest report
People being sanctimonious about having a beer at lunchtime.

There isn’t much to love about having to hang around the airport because it takes so long to get through security, especially when there’s not enough seating.

I love being in the mountains, thinking about being in the mountains, skiing in the mountains, eating & drinking in the mountains...

When the dust settles over COVID, I can do all the above again snowHead Laughing
snow report
Leaving at 1 or 2 am for a 4am check in (but still worth it as I like to get there early afternoon not early evening)

Boiling hot hotels-I can only think of one, terrible sleep all week even with the windows open

People in lift queues with their boot straps dragging on the floor

The rest I love!
snow conditions
Even if you do not care about being incapable of proper safe skiing after drinking, your travel insurance may be invalid if you have an accident.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/alcohol-exclusions-and-your-travel-insurance-plan/]
ski holidays
Mates wanting to shower rather than hitting the après immediately..

Lift queues

Traffic queues

Ice

Rain
ski holidays
Airports which are not much more than a petrol station forecourt named after a vaguely nearby French city.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
Airports which are not much more than a petrol station forecourt named after a vaguely nearby French city.

*stares directly at Chambery*
snow report
Oh God Chambery
Once, twice, never again.
latest report
marodo2712 wrote:
Quote:

Erm, what's wrong with the smell of croissants and smoked meats?

@Timmycb5, I generally don't eat breakfast anyway

I can never understand how anyone can function on an empty tank, never mind physical exertion on empty.

I always wake up starving after a big day skiing, or mountain biking, and need to refuel. Then again, I usually wake up hungry, and looking forward to brekky, most days of the year Very Happy
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
Mates wanting to shower rather than hitting the après immediately..

Shocked Shocked Sad

That's a new one on me!
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Oh God Chambery

Lionel Ritchie put up with it.

Once. Twice. 3 times Cham - ber - yyyy....
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Oh God Chambery

bizzare why lyon is so little used.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:

Eh? Perhaps I’m getting old and more risk averse, but I can’t think of any conceivable reason why you wouldn’t use the bar?
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

Eh? Perhaps I’m getting old and more risk averse, but I can’t think of any conceivable reason why you wouldn’t use the bar?

Same in Japan, often left up and often no footrest
latest report
In descending order of frequency of occurrence:

Braying English (speaking) people who seem incapable of using a word of local language in European resorts: “Two coffees please!”

Snowboarders

Whiteouts

Rain
snow report
DJL wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

Same in Japan, often left up and often no footrest

Still don’t get why? Are the lifts particularly low?
snow report
I think it’s because they don’t spend much money on the lifts compared to European standards, very few have footrests and covers on them despite it being much colder, they are nothing like European ones with heated seats and so on.
I don’t mind what it’s like but when it’s cold and windy the ones without covers can be long slow and, cold.
snow conditions
@pam w, never seen a dog poo on the slopes but I'd share your view if I did, dog pee and poo in town annoys me but its the same the world over, I guess they have to go so no bad on the pooch, however the owners are the bad guys here, lets all share their toilet seems to be their growing mantra.

@ster, fair point re taking rucksack off but I always keep mine on, never had an issue until this one time, or since. under leg strap on airbag is a nuisance if have to keep faffing. never been hung off the lift on exit, I generally tuck all straps in!

@195062, agreed re half empty lifts, winds me up that.

I'll also add in folk who get all precious in busy lift queues and kick off about people even touching their skis, fair point if people are trampling but just touching their edges some folk get all wound up.....chill out tools not jewels. On the flip side though kids who slide 90 degrees across your skis to get to their parents, who then also don't apologise for young Tarquin despite the fact that they are skiing on 20 year old, or hire skis, no regard for others kit and feel it's acceptable to scratch without apology. Apology would be fine, no apology and it's annoying.

Oh and folks who stop and regroup in the lift run off......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy