Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some advice on suitable skis would be much appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

as posted in previous threads I have not been on skis for 16 years as I have spent this time snowboarding. Next year I am due to go on a trip and would like to ski again. As part of this I had gathered together some memorable skis of my youth, just for fun. However, I suspect that a pair of Fischer GS skis from 2008 and some Bandits from 2006 may well not be the best idea long term. I think that I will be skiing a lot during the next 10 years so I really would like to get my next ski purchase right. The problem is that I haven't really paid any attention to ski tech and new developments for a long time.

I was rather hoping that if some of you have the time you could advise me on what could be a good fit for me?
I am 6ft 1 and around 15 and a half stone although by the time I go I will be around a stone lighter. Back in the day I really enjoyed cruising the piste, mostly long turns and opening up on lovely stable skis when it was safe and responsible to do so (mostly). I didn't really look for off piste as I have a snowboard for that although the odd tree run did present itself.

As I was usually leading a school group I liked to have something that could cruise at lower speeds as well. I'm not looking for a formula one racer, just something that's stable, not too soft and not too short. I have noticed that there is a penchant for shorter skis these days but I don't think I'd feel too happy on anything much under 180.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and my genuine thanks for any advice to point me in the right direction
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What skiing will you be doing primarily and what is your budget? As a snowboarder I would expect you to want something that will also be good off piste (based on experience with several ex-snowboarding mates). That will change the recommendation vs if you want a primarily piste oriented ski. Stiff piste Slalom/GS skis typically ski shorter (170-180) than rockered all mountain skis (185-190). Length estimates based on your height/weight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly much happens in relatively shorter lengths within current ski design, and so wouldn't impose a hard match in overall length to get what you had before.

A particularly good example would be a Kastlè FX 96HP as a very accomplished design with a huge gateway for varying conditions (obviously other makes have competitive issue skis too) but there's a wide range of reviews available to let you get an informed feel of what this ski can do. Worthwhile reading about that one across differing experiences as it will update your thinking without loading too many comparison initially.

Forming a broader picture and then giving view to competitor skis will give decent insight to maybe form a test selection of demo skis if possible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I will have a look at some reviews on the Kastle. Most of my skiing is going to be on piste as it's something that I really used to enjoy, love getting those long, lazy turns in and also love the option of opening them out and getting some good pace up when the mood hits. Never really been one for off piste really.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Huwphill, The 188cm race GS skis you got are a good length for your height and weight, they are really designed to be used when there is nobody else on a piste. Most ski brands also make some models that are labelled as "GS" skis with similar graphics to the real race models but a sidecut radius below 20m, you would probably want something around 180cm for one of these.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My suggestion would be Dynastar Speed Zone 12Ti in a 182 - which is a Piste Ski with a 17m radius. These would be excellent as stable, On Piste Cruisers, that are more user friendly than a full on GS Ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Huwphill wrote:
Thanks, I will have a look at some reviews on the Kastle. Most of my skiing is going to be on piste as it's something that I really used to enjoy, love getting those long, lazy turns in and also love the option of opening them out and getting some good pace up when the mood hits. Never really been one for off piste really.

Sounds like you want a sub 80mm de tuned GS ski then! Will be great fun IMHO, just like the Dynastars mentioned, or the Atomic Redsters have been well reviewed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Huwphill wrote:

Sounds like you want a sub 80mm de tuned GS ski then! Will be great fun IMHO, just like the Dynastars mentioned, or the Atomic Redsters have been well reviewed.

If they can be ordered and delivered within the EU, these are good value: https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-speed-zone-14pro-r22-bindings16124986

@OP The SZ-14 are the same skis as the SZ-12, but with a stiffer Race Plate.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for the Atomic Redster G9. 68 side cut and 18.5m radius (mine are 177). I’m 176cm and 83kg, but picked a ski, having tested a few, that would challenge a bit.

Really stable at speed, surprisingly “turny” (much helped by narrow side cut) for a fairly stiff ski. Also quite fun just bimbling about. They do require a bit of concentration at times. They seem to cope really well with most of the conditions I’ve come across in the season or so I’ve had them.

If it helps, I was also quite taken with the Salomon iRace...a similar option. For me, the Atomics just ‘felt’ a little more of a challenge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy