Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Season 2021/22 going to happen for the British or for Anyone Else

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the serious derailment of the thread about this season I thought I'd start one to focus on folks thoughts for next season.

Right now the only folks likely to ski next winter are those living in snowy mountains and even that is increasingly difficult as we've seen this year.

I've been swithering for a while about booking anything and hearing the Hopkins woman going on yesterday about the difficulties expected next winter fills me with dread.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I sincerely hope so!

Given the positive effect vaccinations are having, even allowing for slow take up across EU, I think we'll get a normal season next year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seriously, how many threads do we need on this!!!! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@robboj, there's already an existing four page thread on the 2021/22 season: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154960&start=120

Edit: and this five page thread here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154665&start=160

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 8-03-21 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Seriously, how many threads do we need on this!!!! wink

This appears to be at least the third thread about whether the 21/22 season will happen. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think/hope so.

I didn't even bother booking anything for Feb 2021 (I would normally book around September time), but I'm about to book for Feb 2022. Just waiting for a quote back from PeakRetreats then I'm opening my wallet for them.

Every adult in the UK will be jabbed up before then, and I suspect once Europe pulls its finger out, it won't be far behind either.

On a personal note, I really hope it does happen. We were lucky enough to go in Feb 2020, but my FIL needed an operation on his foot and couldn't come. This season is obviously out, and if next season is out too then come 2023, my FIL will be 75 having not skied for 3 years so that could be a problem*. And I would really love my kids to continue to be able to go skiing with their grandparents.

*that said he is fit as a fiddle and would probably chance it anyway!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do we really need another thread on this?

By the way the answer is yes, but not as we knew it.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies, my bad.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@robboj, to be fair, it was a logical thing to do, and the other two threads had sunk out of eye-view.

For what it's worth, I think we'll be all systems go for next season!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
Do we really need another thread on this?

By the way the answer is yes, but not as we knew it.....

yes we do. 1 that stays on topic.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@timmycb5, you could always consider a summer trip!

if skiing doesn't happen next year it will be utterly devastating.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kj82, my daughters, for some bizarre reason, are absolutely adamant that they will not ski unless it's winter. They won't even go to the snowdome.

I'd happy chase the snow around the globe for a year, but not a hope with them. We might be able to sneak a day in Glencoe with said FIL if there is early snow as we've got a week booked in the Trossachs all together over Christmas, but that's a long shot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, I think it will happen. If you fly, it's 99% certain you'll need to run the IATA TravelPass App and register your vaccinations or exception certificates on it. Probably 50:50 whether you'll need to get yourself tested before you fly and register that as well, depending on how things ramp-up epidemiologically in the autumn. Your winterised travel insurance will probably cost 15-20% more, but you'll be covered as fully as you were pre-covid/pre-Brexit. For a variety of reasons, I suspect that a lot more people will be switching to self-drive and self-catering, and the Tour Operators will start to look less attractive, but that's perhaps for another thread (as you know, I always keep to the thread title ....).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks folks for your replies. I don't want to delete the thread but as there are already others maybe an ADMIN can merge them all? Then it will hopefully stay well up the list as folks thoughts will be increasingly on next season as I can't imagine any UK based snowHead's will still harbour any hope of a slide in this one?

Glad to see folks are generally optimistic. I just hope that it's not too restricted. A lot of folks won't pay to go on a holiday that isn't really one?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes it will

Close the thread
ski holidays
Quote:
I'd happy chase the snow around the globe for a year, but not a hope with them.
Not a problem if, as you say, the family will only ski in winter...You simply need to inform them that, if you chased the snow as far as the southern hemisphere, it would indeed be winter there in our summer wink

We've done it three times. It's fantastic to plunge into winter in our summer - though so odd to see things like lambs in the fields and daffodils in bloom in July Laughing
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
@robboj, to be fair, it was a logical thing to do, and the other two threads had sunk out of eye-view.

They were pretty much all at the top of the view I look at. This one was right next to one of the others Laughing
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

They were pretty much all at the top of the view I look at. This one was right next to one of the others Laughing

Only because I cheekily bumped them Laughing I had to go to page 2 to find them!
snow report
@robboj, I started one of the other threads but it has drifted into irrelevance so I'm glad you started this one. Hopefully it'll stay on topic for a while.

I'm increasingly hopeful for next season. As someone has already said; Not long till UK is vaccinated and once the EU gets its act together they won't be far behind
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I'd happy chase the snow around the globe for a year, but not a hope with them.
Not a problem if, as you say, the family will only ski in winter...You simply need to inform them that, if you chased the snow as far as the southern hemisphere, it would indeed be winter there in our summer wink

We've done it three times. It's fantastic to plunge into winter in our summer - though so odd to see things like lambs in the fields and daffodils in bloom in July Laughing

Depends on if you've got a summer hobby!

I refuse to ski in our summer. As that's one nice season I'm unwilling to miss! Cycling, kayaking... No way I'm going to throw away thousands of dollar to go... skiing, which I can do in our winter! rolling eyes
latest report
If you're booking skiing in the likes of Chile and Argentina-perhaps not. In the EU, well...if we can't go on holiday by then (including skiing) then the s@@t has seriously hit the fan and we will have a lot more to worry about.
ski holidays
Can countries reliant on tourism afford to stay closed?
Vaccine is poo-poo or bust.
latest report
I’m hedging my bets, have just put a deposit on our hotel in Val Gardena for late jan
snow report
They won't stay closed. Brilliant idea by Greece to vaccinate the entire populations of some of the smaller islands so that they can open for the (vaccinated?) Brits. Greece can't afford not to open in some form.

Direct flights, so shouldn't need to quarantine on return. Just awaiting details of documentation required to get there.
snow conditions
Nz will probably be open for tourist skiing June 22. Lot of money and a long journey though. Will probably be ridiculously busy as well.
snow report
Quote:
I refuse to ski in our summer. As that's one nice season I'm unwilling to miss!
Much as I love mountain biking and hiking in lovely weather on dry, dusty trails, I'd definitely swap the odd summer for a southern hemisphere whole winter season. We once met a Canadian ski guide who'd done 8 winters (and no summers) straight off - by switching between US and Chilean ski areas Laughing

But if you do ski in the southern hemisphere's winter, you don't have to give up totally on a bit of sun and warmth. When we were in Chile, we visited the coast around Val Paraiso which had very pleasant, spring-like temperatures. And in Australia, we had winter temperatures of 22C in Sydney and 25-30C in Queensland and The Outback. A really nice contrast to the skiing.

Regardless, summer skiing in the Alps means the best of both worlds Very Happy Stunning scenery, temperatures that can be 30C+ in the valley and loads of mountain activities to do as well as the skiing. Perfect!

We're clinging on to the hope of a bit of that in 2021... wink
snow conditions
Quote:
NZ will probably be open for tourist skiing June 22. Lot of money and a long journey though
We once booked a very cheap coach holiday to Mayrhofen for some autumn skiing - 5 nights in resort, 2 nights on the bus. After a 4am start from North East England, we zig zagged across the country to pick up at what felt like every bus station in the country before we finally arrived at Dover after about 12 hours.

We arrived in Mayrhofen 26 hours after boarding the coach Shocked . A nightmare journey - but the skiing was excellent and we had a great time wink

30 hours or so to NZ - on a comfy plane, with entertainment, food and drink - is a piece of cake after a trip like that Laughing
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, jetlag?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, resorts are a bit small and basic compared to Europe.

But heli is cheap and loads of touring options, as good as anywhere else in the world, so if you have the budget and the inclination it could be a good trip, mixed up with a few resort days and some sight seeing, which is pretty special.

Last time I went to mayrhofen I flew 32 hours via Dubai to Gatwick, jumped on a train to Brighton, in the pub with mates at 2pm, drank solidly through to 7am next day, train back to Gatwick, over to Austria had a 12 hour sleep and on first lift the next morning Happy
ski holidays
Would you choose NZ or Chile for back country?
ski holidays
Back on topic I see Whitty is talking up another surge later this year and adding his own personal view that it'll be seasonal i.e. winter.

Says there will be lots of cases but proportionately fewer deaths amongst those whom can't or won't be vaccinated plus a number of people for whom the vaccine doesn't work? Strange point the last one. I had understood that it wasn't a case of it working or not?

Just reinforces my view that our best hope is an attitudinal change in the general population that being vaccinated will hopefully bring.
latest report
@robboj, There are some people where their underlying illnesses means that the immune system struggles to respond enough to provide any meaningful protection, hence the vaccine may not work in these cases. They are susceptible to any form of infection, especially respiratory.

I have concerns for these, and those who can't have the vaccine, for whatever reason. Will need extra efforts to keep them protected in the next few months.

No sympathy for those who simply refuse the vaccine, put them to the back of the queue. If that means no holidays or social activities, then so be it.

In cases where those in care homes can't make their own decisions, I simply cannot understand why relatives are allowed to refuse permission. It's tantamount to neglect in order to get financial gain from inheritance. Maybe Managers/Doctors ought to be able to just put a list in front of a Judge to get an order?
snow report
Heli-Ski Abisko Lodge Sweden now open, run by friends Stefan & Pia Palm (their son Max is in the Junior Freeride World Tour)

http://abiskomountainlodge.se/skiing/heli-skiing/?lang=en

Saw on Strava another guide I know is in Turkey with clients.

And another will upsticks from his home in La Grave and will move up to the Artic in four weeks.

So for some, and clients with cash the season is only just starting.

And I'm just back from touring up near the Col du Lautaret and I've never ever seen it so busy, and the holidays are meant to be over!

Very briefly said "Hi" to a group six Brits who may or may not have been on some sort of course as well.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
@robboj, There are some people where their underlying illnesses means that the immune system struggles to respond enough to provide any meaningful protection, hence the vaccine may not work in these cases. They are susceptible to any form of infection, especially respiratory.

I have concerns for these, and those who can't have the vaccine, for whatever reason. Will need extra efforts to keep them protected in the next few months.

No sympathy for those who simply refuse the vaccine, put them to the back of the queue. If that means no holidays or social activities, then so be it.

In cases where those in care homes can't make their own decisions, I simply cannot understand why relatives are allowed to refuse permission. It's tantamount to neglect in order to get financial gain from inheritance. Maybe Managers/Doctors ought to be able to just put a list in front of a Judge to get an order?

Which I suppose means these people are at roughly the same risk as they would have been at any time and particularly in any winter from Flu etc. They may have to be shielded but its up to them really. I'm not comfortable with compulsion in general but I agree where there is any suspicion that a relative is unreasonably withholding permission then steps should be taken.

To keep it on the topic of travelling to ski I reckon those that refuse the vaccine will find before long that going abroad just won't be possible. I did note Cyprus proposing to allow non vaccinated visitors but I'd suspect that won't last beyond the next surge in infection. I certainly can't see any of the Alpine countries being desperate enough for our business to admit anyone who's not vaccinated.
snow report
robboj wrote:
... To keep it on the topic of travelling to ski I reckon those that refuse the vaccine will find before long that going abroad just won't be possible. I did note Cyprus proposing to allow non vaccinated visitors but I'd suspect that won't last beyond the next surge in infection. I certainly can't see any of the Alpine countries being desperate enough for our business to admit anyone who's not vaccinated.

That depends on whether the EU / member states rank 100% (or say 95+%) vaccination ahead of freedom of movement. If one country only achieves say 70%, then unless the rest of the EU closes its internal borders against them there are going to potentially be Covid-19 positive people anywhere in the Alps. Even vaccinated people may still be able to pick up and pass on the virus from them (and that's even without further mutations). I agree that Alpine nations may welcome vaccinated people from the UK. But the UK won't necessarily welcome them back again, without either negative tests and/or quarantine.
snow conditions
I wonder if insurers will require vaccination or perhaps there will be dual pricing?
latest report
I am in the camp of - yes it will happen.

We were looking at booking flights and s/c accom in Tignes today - looking at March, but thats not virus related, just had a few awful Januaries weather-wise and none of the lads are getting any younger..........

@chocksaway, re Insurance, I imagine that the vaccine passport (in whatever form) will be a requirement for pretty much any travel policy.

I think that - once the mass vaccinations have taken place, and we are in the cycle of periodic boosters for mutations we will be broadly at BAU.

I cant see that Europe will be much different from the UK by the time next season arrives.
latest report
Looks like organised outdoor exercise and non-contact sports (groups of up to 15) are allowed in Scotland from March 12th.
Might the late-season be saved, at least for the locals?
latest report
Neil Neige wrote:
Looks like organised outdoor exercise and non-contact sports (groups of up to 15) are allowed in Scotland from March 12th.

Not wishing to have a pop, but thats got what exactly to do with season 21/22?
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
Neil Neige wrote:

Not wishing to have a pop, but thats got what exactly to do with season 21/22?

Apols - posted in wrong thread!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy