Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a ski that's rock solid in a straight line.

Poster: A snowHead
That might be useful to know should any of us ever find ourselves short of someone to ski with!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greengriff wrote:
lower wrote:
greengriff wrote:
lower wrote:
greengriff wrote:
Any opinions on the Enforcer 88?

My new Nordica Enforcer 88's are arriving today just in time for the end of the season. I'll let you know how i get on with them.......in about a year's time Sad

I'll wait with baited breath! I'm in Leicestershire too so if you end up hating them drop me a line.

Closest thing i'll get to using them will be when the indoor slope at milton keynes reopens, but at least i got them for a decent price!

May I ask where you got them from?

Ellis Brigham. £412 inc Tyrolia Attack 11 GW bindings.

The price was slightly cheaper than the old EU routes like Glisshop etc and no extra shipping costs or risk of duty from the EU routes that will ship to the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
porkpiefox wrote:
greengriff wrote:
lower wrote:
greengriff wrote:

My new Nordica Enforcer 88's are arriving today just in time for the end of the season. I'll let you know how i get on with them.......in about a year's time Sad

I'll wait with baited breath! I'm in Leicestershire too so if you end up hating them drop me a line.

There’s more of us Leicestershire folk in here too snowHead

No one else would understand your username Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lower wrote:

The price was slightly cheaper than the old EU routes like Glisshop etc and no extra shipping costs or risk of duty from the EU routes that will ship to the UK.

Cheers. Did they fit the bindings? I can see both products on their site separately, but not as a unit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
greengriff wrote:
lower wrote:

Cheers. Did they fit the bindings? I can see both products on their site separately, but not as a unit.

Yes, they fit the bindings. You buy the skis and bindings separately and they then contact you to find out your boot sole size and other info so they can mount your bindings. They'll probably still need adjusting to set the forward pressure properly, but that's a 2 minute job in a ski shop in resort if you can't do it yourself (and its not hard).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lower wrote:
porkpiefox wrote:
greengriff wrote:
lower wrote:
greengriff wrote:

There’s more of us Leicestershire folk in here too snowHead

No one else would understand your username Smile

Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, decision finally made: I've ordered a set of i-Titans (not the new e-Titan as it's quite a different ski).

My logic is as follows: The Titans are capable in all piste conditions, playing at the side of the piste, and up to a couple of inches of powder. This is what I'll be skiing most of the time with my wife and kids. My wife and daughter ski at moderate speeds, my middle son is a maniac (I clocked him at 48mph down the Mont Blanc blue in Les Arcs when he was 7 years old), so I need to be able to enjoy (rather than force) moderate paced, moderate sized turns, plus also bomb to try and keep up with him, and do a bit myself at the end of the afternoon after they've gone in.

That leaves me the option of hiring a more suitable ski should proper powder conditions appear, or reading the weather report the day before I set off and taking the Mantras if it suggests conditions more suitable for them.

What finally sold me on the Titans was the comments from buyers at the bottom of this page:

https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-ski-test/skis/2020-head-supershape-titan/

Also every review I read remarked on their predictability and their forgiving nature, both of which I view as serious positives. Having been flipped on my head countless times when snowboarding and accumulated various injuries in the other sports I participate in, I no longer want to push my luck. A ski that always responds as I expect and tolerates the inevitable small errors I make, whilst still being blisteringly fast, sounds absolutely lovely
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
greengriff wrote:
Well, decision finally made: I've ordered a set of i-Titans (not the new e-Titan as it's quite a different ski).

Given your fundamental reality: ie. You are light and spend a lot of time On Piste, but want a little extra width for flexibility....and want something stable, yet comfortably manageable - I think you have made a very wise choice.

What size did you get? I think you could handle the 170, which would give extra surface area.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, I went for the 170. I was torn between the 163 and the 170, but settled for the 170 in the end, thinking that I don't mind trading a little more effort in turns for a little extra stability.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
greengriff wrote:
Yep, I went for the 170. I was torn between the 163 and the 170, but settled for the 170 in the end, thinking that I don't mind trading a little more effort in turns for a little extra stability.

I think the Head iShape range are beautifully judged, when it comes to combining ease of use, reactiveness and stability - they are a great ski for a lighter person. That wide tip engages well and pulls you into the turn. I don't see the 170 being too much work - especially so as you like to ski more aggressively. 14.1m is a very versatile radius.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 26-03-21 13:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And only 10 months until I find out if I made the right choice Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
greengriff wrote:
And only 10 months until I find out if I made the right choice Laughing Laughing Laughing

You will love them - and you can take that to the bank! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
greengriff wrote:

I have a that ski in that length (2 seasons old now), I love it. It is stable in turns and straight and really punches through chopped up snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll hold you to that! @oldfartbag I mean.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pieman666 wrote:

I have a that ski in that length (2 seasons old now), I love it. It is stable in turns and straight and really punches through chopped up snow.

That is very good to hear, thank you!
snow report
greengriff wrote:
I'll hold you to that! @oldfartbag I mean.

Absolutely.
snow conditions
Don't doubt you enjoy them - great piste ski. Not sure why I'd expect them to be that much more stable straightlining than Mantras though. I'd be buying them to enjoy relative quickness edge to edge and getting some gs from tight turns at high edge angles
snow report
I expect them to be more stable as they are camber and the Mantras are full rocker. Anyway it's all gone tits up, as despite them advertising them all over the web, and happily taking my money, I've just been told they are out of stock and the distributor has no more. Ho hum!
ski holidays
Snow and Rock have a pair of 170's for £395
https://www.snowandrock.com/p/head-men-s-supershape-i-titan-skis-with-prd-12-gw-binding-J1314369.html?
snow report
They are just fooling you. If you order them you will get an email the day after saying they are out of stock!!!
snow conditions
@greengriff, Isn't 170 a little short?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@greengriff, Isn't 170 a little short?

This is one back from the longest length, which is 177. At 65kg, it certainly isn't short for him.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, huh. Shortish skis then. Does make me wonder how "stable" they'll be, re original question...

"rock solid in a straight line" vs. “likes to turn—not a glider.”
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, huh. Shortish skis then. Does make me wonder how "stable" they'll be, re original question...

They are stable - maybe not quite as stable as the Dynastar Speed Zone 12/14. This is as reported by some of the Instructors on here, who changed from the Titans, to the SZ.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, you are not going to convince me that that shape will happily run straight at speed while completely flat. Not a chance.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, you are not going to convince me that that shape will happily run straight at speed while completely flat. Not a chance.

I wasn't arguing that it was rock solid in a straight line - only that it was stable to ski.

This thread has moved on somewhat from the title, as information about the OP and what he wants emerged and became clearer.

If spending most of your time on Piste - then a slightly oversized Piste Ski is sensible - pretty much all Piste Skis, that aren't GS types, will have a turn radius of between 13 and 16m....so won't feel as stable in a straight line due to their more pronounced sidecut.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, not getting argumentative, but it's not a turn radius, it's a sidecut radius and only has a very loose relationship with actual turn sizes ....
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, not getting argumentative, but it's not a turn radius, it's a sidecut radius and only has a very loose relationship with actual turn sizes ....

The sidecut radius has a big impact on turn radius....and the more pronounced the sidecut, the less stable the ski will be in a straight line.

When I said Turn Radius, what I meant, was the radius of the sidecut, as quoted in the specs of the ski.....sorry if I wasn't clear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
agree with some above ... I had a pair of Blizzard Cochise which were pretty good at straight lining off piste !
So much so that one detached from my boot and is still on the mountain somewhere ....
snow report
@under a new name, it might seem odd but I always found straight lining my Titans was dead easy, they are very stable and forgiving.
snow conditions
My Titans seem pretty stable up to around 100 km/h. I'm not aerodynamic enough to go much beyond that, and to be honest I like turning too much to try it more than once or twice a week.
snow conditions
@Valkyrie, do you mean on a nicely iced, smooth piste, straight down the fall line? Think of the physics. Unless a ski with that sort of shape is perfectly flat on a perfectly flat surface, the tips and tails are going to catch, to a certain degree.

Anyway, seeems like OP has gone off his original idea anyway.

And in real life, that's probably sensible. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@under a new name, my experience in that straight down the fall line situation is that the edges don’t catch unless you look round to see where your wife is. Then they really catch.
latest report
@Valkyrie, too, too funny. Must confess that (pre Mrs U), my best ever wipeouts were when there was a pretty girl in the audience, and I was trying to show off. Every. Single. Time.
latest report
Valkyrie wrote:
@under a new name, my experience in that straight down the fall line situation is that the edges don’t catch unless you look round to see where your wife is. Then they really catch.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy