Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Inter season & summer 2006

Poster: A snowHead
brian, Just the wind problem. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, if you're quick you could nip up and move that snow fence Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
davidof,

Are you about in La Grave, we(GrahamN and I) should be about for about a week early Mar..!!

Keep me posted. I called in on a friend today at Bourg d'Oisans and we were just chatting about how we rarely ski out of our immediate area. Force of habit, familiarity etc.

Still looking white today at les 2 alpes but most of the dusting of snow has gone

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Nice photo. It is amazing what a huge white expanse the Dome de la Lauze is when seen from a distance. Currently raining here, hopefully we'll find fresh snow up top. We really do need to cover up that ice. Yesterday was the icyist conditions I've skied for years (probably since I left Scotland actually)! Will report later. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Closed today. Visibility "nul" and wind approx 60 kph. 5 cms fresh snow aparently. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Opened late today, but I didn't go up as the poor little kids wouldn't be able to stand up in 60kph wind! BAH. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof,

Certainly.. Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice day today, but too late to change plans and go up. Bah - I wish they'd get the weather forecasts right. Here's a pic looking over to ADH, it was prettier in reality because the chairlift (diagonal line to the left was gleaming in the sun. My camera's only cheap and could capture it. Never mind.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, wet and miserable here in England, so I did all the stuff you normally put off. I put the photos in albums, and found some of the glacier on our summer visit in 2004. Cheered me up. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Closed again today due to wind. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sadly it had rained yesterday and last night, so my anticipated fresh snow didn't really exist. However, although very disappointing, the snow was actually the best we''ve had for some time. Most of the crevasses have disappeared, and there must have been a fair bit of snow up there as, even with the rain there's a lot of it still around

Looking up the Dome Sud from the lift queue

Looking across towards the Puy Salié

The reason why there WAS a lift queue
these two fell off about 5 times while we were waiting, they weren't the only ones either!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Shame you're not allowed to pack a gun. Oops not politically correct, how about fall off twice and then to back of queue.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drag lifts are a pain to a learning Snowboarder.... T-bars even worse. A bit of barracking should suffice...Laughing Everyone has to learn sometime

I remember good US skiers going upto Horseshoe Bowl could not cope with a T-bar..... it was hysterical...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
I remember good US skiers going upto Horseshoe Bowl could not cope with a T-bar..... it was hysterical...

I learnt on T bars, chairlifts were very much the exception so they don't hold any demons for me, in fact the last time I came off one was as a smart back bottom teenager trying to go up on 1 leg and got caught out when my ski followed a rut from someone else who'd fallen off.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier, that wouldn't be young James Snowskisnow would it? Sounds like (sorry James!) Laughing

JT, I've always found T bars easier on a surf than pomas, but very tiring. It's just slightly annoying when you're waiting and a whole class (about 10) fall off repeatedly and get straight back on with the rest of us waiting!!

Now you know when hear from some publications "there are always queues at LDA", that it's not always the fault of the uplift!!!!

Anyway, I couldn't resist. Today was very nice, sunny, a good stiff breeze keeping it cool, and good hard summer snow. Conditions good all over the open slopes. Some little patches of ice left, but on the whole remarkable for the end of August.

Saw one of the best romper suits ever today, so will take camera again tomorrow in hopes. Laughing Laughing
snow report
easiski wrote:
FenlandSkier, that wouldn't be young James Snowskisnow would it? Sounds like (sorry James!) Laughing

No, it would have been a much younger Me Embarassed I've grown up since then Toofy Grin
It was the last lift up on the last day of a school skiing trip and I was trying to look cool. I'd seen someone else do it so had a go myself and fell off, teacher wouldn't let me go back down on my own to go back up properly so I didn't get to do 'the last run' just the last 200yds of it. Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We musn't mention the member of the Beaumont clan who fell off the nursery drag lift in Monetier at New Year, 'cos he went up backwards on one leg. (OK, snd I fell off at Castleford, but did you see that bloke in the gym? Embarassed wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, no, I didnt see any blokes in the gym - the girls were far too interesting !
snow report
lampbus wrote:
Helen Beaumont, no, I didnt see any blokes in the gym - the girls were far too interesting !

I reckon they were only exercising when someone came past the window, I think they just sat there on those contraptions in between times resting.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
OK, snd I fell off at Castleford, but did you see that bloke in the gym? Embarassed wink

I'm going to have to remember that one Laughing
snow conditions
Well, we had another really fabulous day today. Very clear skis and a fresh breeze, but not cold at all. Glad I put my day trippers in skiwear though rather than jeans. The nursery slope was very icy, but I got my guys down to the bottom of the Dome Sud (well 2 of them walked the first bit) and then 3/4 got right up the T bar. One fell off and had to walk the steep bit - that'll larn her!! Laughing Laughing My little guys were free skiing today with their dad, and also did well, so we all came down together. Very jolly.
The nursery slope today:
ski holidays
Meanwhile, I was walking from resort back to Venosc, and I found two of these:

VERY scary indeed!!
snow conditions
Lizzard, can't see from the picture what are they
snow report
Dammit, far too small. It's a very tropical-looking spider about 2cm long. Has a fat round bum in bright red with four dots on it, and a fierce-looking black thorax bit. Didn't look closely at the fang area.

Maybe I can make it look bigger:

latest report
Yikes!
snow report
Lizzard, I think my view was preferable! urgh!
ski holidays
Lizzard, you were honoured, this spider is very rare. Below is a bit about it pulled of the web (no pun intended) which describes it in a little more detail.

Lady bird spiders, velvet spiders, Family Erisidae

Only two species of this family are found in NW-Europe. The name 'lady bird' spider relates to the beautiful colored adult male.

Formerly Eresus cinnaberinus was known under the name Eresus niger.

Eresus sandaliatus is a similar looking spider and is found in the Nothern parts of Europe. The third and fourth pair of legs is not coloured red but are similar to the first and second pairs, black with white rings.

The female measures 15 - 20 mm and the male around 10 mm. The spider makes a tube of silk in the ground and with a roof of cribellate silk on the ground. The female and the not adult male are colored black and velvet. The male spider only gets its coloring at his last change of skin. Then he leaves its home and starts wandering looking for a female. The male becomes adult in the autumn or in spring. Females can become four years old and never leave their hiding.
The spiders makes one cocoon with eggs. At daytime they bring out their cocoon and let it warm in the sun. At night the cocoon is return in the hiding. The young spiders stay in the housing tube during the winter and stay with their mother for quite a long time. During this time they may change skin for six times. In spring the mother dies and is consumed by the young spiders.
This spider is very rare and protected in some countries.
Their habitat is on south-faced, sheltered, heathery slopes.

More pictures here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Erisidae/Erisidae.htm
snow report
He's called Eresus Cinnaberinus and is commonly known as a ladybird spider. You can find out all about him in great detail here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Erisidae/Erisidae.htm and apparently he's very rare.

NB. If you're an arachnophobe, brace yourself before you click the link! It has cost me serious mantal anguish to bring you all this enlightening information, so I hope you appreciate it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SHello, you must have posted while I was looking at the same page. I'm glad I didn't stand on him.
snow report
Lizzard, I'm sure the spider was glad as well Laughing
latest report
Aparently the Lutins hotel has been infested with them Shocked

Well that should free up a room for me Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, don't worry, they are harmless. A bunch of snowHead on the piste however, well that could be a different proposition...
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, given that they live on sheltered south-facing slopes, I find that hard to believe. Unless the Lutins has moved recently. Shocked
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, tough luck FTS, we love spiders in our house.
snow report
easiski wrote:

Saw one of the best romper suits ever today, so will take camera again tomorrow in hopes. Laughing Laughing

Any luck with exhibits for the dodgy romper suit gallery?
snow conditions
Looks like the best dressed skier in Somerset is having a clean out, exhibit 1 and exhibit 2 for the prosecution.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, i think they should have been hung like that with the perpertrator still in them.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, you missed out on the His n hers boiler suits
ski holidays
Just spotted them Foxy, "hers being size L and his size XXL"
latest report
FenlandSkier, so, it could be one of the Lardy Boys...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy