Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Inter season & summer 2006

Poster: A snowHead
THIS IS RIDICULOUS! - 09.00 This morning

10.30 This morning

rolling eyes rolling eyes Excellent for the summer though! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good for the glacier if its not being blown off. I was going to have a summer skiing trip this year ah well maybe next year
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski,

Is it skiable?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, No. Melting fast - but there must have been a goodly bit higher up on top of the old snow. Now if of a touring mind you are ..... Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, hmmm, this is making me think that a weekend refresher course (like last year but hopefully with a bit more sleep...) might be in order... and i can get flights on airmiles any day in June
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lovely pics easiski - quite cheered me up on a dismal May morning.
Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, Pretty dismal here on the whole, but it's now stopped snowing/sleeting so I'm off to the shop. Yesterday was a bank holiday, so nothing was open. It's takes a while to get back into "inter-season mode" when you're used to everything being open every day!!

Arno, Yes - slightly better times would help. June should be good at this rate - it's not that unusual to be able to ski to 2,600m during the first week of the summer season. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's doing that here as well. What happened to May? Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, It certainly isn't happening at the moment. Just back from a walk and shop, and found it quite chilly out. could have done with gloves and a hat! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

I agree, why are those damn lifts shut ?

Beware les seins de glace !!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nearly half a metre of fresh snow in La Plagne over the last couple of days, and about 10º colder as well. I'm sure the skiing is great on the Grand Motte!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, Nice tracks - are they yours?

Yesterday's snow is still hanging around down to about 1700m. it must be very good where it's fallen on top of existing snow... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we had lots of snow yesterday too down to 1500 m and we're expecting more tonight to 1600m (serre chevalier)

its really bloody annoying when the lifts are shut, but i'm injured so i cant really go ride anyway!

i will be in 2 alpes this summer as my son is going to be on 3 summer camps, but i get a free summer lift pass with my winter pass. lovely jubbly!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great pics! The crazyness of the winter continues.....fantastic!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and getting sillier

Just returned from a walk which was interrupted by snow. After a pleasant hour chatting with a couple of friends at Le Bon Cannon I walked down the Champamé nursery slope up to my ankles in snow, and got home looking like the proverbial ...

All yesterday's snow had gone from the village itself, but about 3cms have fallen in the last hour. Unfortunately it's very wet, so not worth walking up the Champamé with skis to make tracks back down.

I'm thinking 20+ cms at around 2,600m - really hopeful that we'll be able to ski down to there at the beginning of the summer season - but it needs to stay cool between now and then. The current temp on my balcony is about 2 deg - don't know what it'll do to my freshly planted seeds! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Likewise my chili plants, which like hot sunshine. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
easiski,

Your seeds will be OK as long as they haven't germinated.

We grow Forage Maize here in March when there is still a risk of frost. As long as they are below the soil or plastic mulch they'll be OK
ski holidays
easiski wrote:

I'm thinking 20+ cms at around 2,600m -

nah, there was around 30cm yesterday and maybe another 10-20cm today. It is snowing down to 1300 meters where I am. You should know that you never plant seeds in France before the 12th of May.

It is a bit worrying though as there is now a risk of avalanche higher in the mountains just when we thought it was all over.
snow conditions
davidof, they're the first time I've planted seeds! I've just bought 2 window boxes for the summer, but as I'm returning to the Uk for a couple of weeks shortly, I thought it'd be too late when I got back - it was nice and warm the other day!

johnboy, thanks for the encouragement. I haven't planted the seeds out on the bank yet - they're (hopefully) for more wild flowers there in the future.

Stil snowing, but not quite so hard.
latest report
well its snowing in our valley thats down to 1200m

how cool!
latest report
Slightly further afield but I've just heard that the Frejus tunnel is blocked in both directions on the Maurienne side due to snowfall...

And I took the winter tires off the car yesterday Shocked
snow report
davidof, snowing at 800m in the Tarentaise Shocked

If only I'd got around to buying those touring bindings and skins ... Very Happy
snow conditions
i'm taking the landy as far as i can tomorrow then hiking and riding.............yippppppy!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
snow report
easiski, we might be making a trip over the Col for a bit of a slide at the end of JUne. I just have to persuade Julian he'd rather go for a week in June than two weeks in August.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, June is sooooo much better in the alps than August. Nice weather, flowers, good snow ...... At the current rate if you make it earlier rather than later you might even get to ski down to 2,600m Laughing Laughing No chance in August - even the best ones.
latest report
easiski, looking at the flights now!!!
ski holidays
View at 08.00 this morning

About 10.30, melting fast
snow conditions
I've just heard that there's been a good 60 - 70 cms on the glacier (reliable source). Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, sounding promising for November! (well, what's 6 months between friends)
snow conditions
easiski, that's it. Definitely June, just don't tell julian yet I'm booking up!!!!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
easiski,

So when does the Summer Season start (skiing) and how does it compare to Tignes (went about 5 years ago) it was good. Is Alpe Du ez also worth a visit?
ski holidays
NorthWestFace, We open on 17th June and close again on 26th august. Pistes are different to Tignes - wider and a bit shorter. Snowpark is much bigger and better. We lose the steeper runs sometime in mid-summer (depends on temperatures and precipitation of course). The town is a real town, with a real community and is much livelier than Tignes. Alpe D'Huez doesn't have any real summer skiing nowadays, but it's worth coming by car and going one afternoon or whatever for the pleasant walks up there. La Grave is also worth a summer visit, you can't ski there, but the cable car is open and you can go up to enjoy the views of the seracs, crevasses and ice caves. They also have a Grotte de Glace like us.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Alpe D'Huez doesn't have any real summer skiing nowadays

I saw an article last week (IIRC) that said they were not opening at all this year, due to the shrinkage of the Sarenne glacier.
ski holidays
GrahamN, i was trying to put it less harshly!!
ski holidays
GrahamN, According to their 2006 online brochure the glacier is open from 1st - 23rd July, not sure how current that information may be though. Sadly we arrive in Oz on 22nd having missed Le Tour and (possibly) the skiing. easiski, Would you recommend bringing kids (aged 5 & 6, 2 star standard) over to LDA to ski on the glacier?
latest report
Nick Dawes, Oh definitely! It should still be fine then, and they'll love it - it's such a wierd thing to do - arrive in LDA in summer clothes, half an hour on the Jandri, skiing and then boiling again when you get down!! Kids of all ages really enjoy it! Tip, though is to have backpacks so you can go up in trainers and don't have to clomp around in ski boots at 25 deg+!!
snow report
easiski,

Are there no lifts running at all at the moment? Is there any way you can get a few turns in?
ski holidays
johnboy, No - the peeps working on the glacier get taken up every am and down every pm, but they won't let anyone else go - it's just too far to walk!!! I honestly could have done a few turns on the Champamé the other morning, but the snow was very wet and sticky, so I didn't figure it was worth leaping out of bed and walking up just to ski about 200m down!!! Pity it didn't come and then clear about 4 days earlier though - would have made LG worthwhile on 8th May!
snow report
Looks quite snowy over your way today

Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy