Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs at New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Planning first trip in 10 years, and first with kids.

Looking at Les Arcs around New Year.

Can anyone tell me if the snow is likely to be good (or at least acceptable) then?

Main priority is actually the kids lessons going ahead (and hopefully they enjoy it).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For clarification it is Les Arcs 1950 we're looking at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been in Les Arcs over new year more or less every year for the last 15 or so years and there has never been a year when there has been insufficient snow. The snow has been a bit patchy a couple years on the steeper black and red runs such as Malgovert or Combourciere but most of the blues and easier reds are almost always open.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE - thanks Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@crush157, welcome to SnowHeads - as above, I’d say you’d be very unlucky not to have decent snow at New Year, so hope you get there and the children have a great first ski holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1950 is great value and snow will most likely be good. But you should consider, that Les Arcs got an overall north-eastern exposition.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

But you should consider, that Les Arcs got an overall north-eastern exposition.

North western. Some slopes are east facing but most west, which is more important in the spring than January
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE wrote:
Quote:

But you should consider, that Les Arcs got an overall north-eastern exposition.

North western. Some slopes are east facing but most west, which is more important in the spring than January

Beginner and intermediate slopes in the backbowl (that's where 1950 and 2000 are) are all northeast facing. In january that means sun comes up late (the Aiguille Rouge is in the way) and goes early. Only important, if you actually like to ski in the sun.

In my opinion, it's a great resort for spring (wide, lot's of possibilities on and off piste, nice ski touring options - Mont Pourri, etc.). Not so much in midwinter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have been to Les Arcs a few times around Christmas/New Year and love the skiing there. In 2016 which was an extremely poor snow year 60% of the runs were still open so I think there is a high chance you would have enough snow.
Arc 1950 is a good family choice and you are likely to find other English kids in ski school. There is a slope in that area that opens twice a week for night skiing that my children enjoyed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Beginner and intermediate slopes in the backbowl (that's where 1950 and 2000 are) are all northeast facing. In january that means sun comes up late (the Aiguille Rouge is in the way) and goes early. Only important, if you actually like to ski in the sun.

I have to say I have never noticed. I always thought the likes of St. Jaques and the blue from Varet faced North West. The only North East facing ones were from the ridge dividing the Arc2000 valley from the rest of the resort such as edelweiss or plan vert. However the important word is North.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The blue fom Varet (Vallee de l'arc 4) is actually largely south-west, only turning north at the foot of Grand Col. But it is high enough for snow not to be a problem.

(Most of the other blues are closer to north than either noth-east or north-west)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HI Guys, we are trying to decide between Les Arc 1950 or Belle Plagne for both New Years and first week of April, any pros and cons of each area for the times of year we are looking at? skiing as family with two kids, who are pretty competent... i know both are pretty snow sure and good for cfamilies.. just interested to hear of anything else to consider in the choices?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy