Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche airbag helped to survive 50 metres cliff drop

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A ski tourer survived a 50 metre drop down a cliff because he was able to trigger his avalanche airbag which softened the impact of his fall.
He didn’t suffer any severe injuries either.
Lucky guy, especially as you look at the picture of the cliff!

This happened at Hochkönig:
https://salzburg.orf.at/stories/3098770/

As I didn’t find an english article some details for those who are interested:

At the bottom of the Torsäule the 49 year old tourer took the wrong track up to the Kleinen Bratschenkopf (2.686 metres).
When he tried to get back to the correct track he slipped on the steep and rocky terrain and fell down the 50 metres cliff, almost vertical, before he hit the snow at the ground.
Another ski tourer heard the cries for help and gave first aid. Lateron the tourer was helicoptered to the hospital in Schwarzach (Pongau)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since it takes 3 seconds to free fall 50m from a stationary position, and avalanche airbags take 3 seconds to inflate, he must have amazing reactions or was sliding towards the drop for a while. Even so, phenomenal presence of mind to trigger the airbag Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
According to the picture he was sliding towards the cliff for a bit, so maybe he triggered the airbag then, first thing when he fell and realised he won’t stop?
But yeah, there wasn’t much time to think about it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is there any significant difference in inflation time between the conventional compressed gas inflated airbags and the newer electric fan inflated ones?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine takes about 3 secs. See the start for the EOSB video and watch my pull my toggle.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=152305
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Is there any significant difference in inflation time between the conventional compressed gas inflated airbags and the newer electric fan inflated ones?

I've had 2 ABS (gas), 2 Pieps (fan) and 1 Scott (fan), and I couldn't honestly say which inflated fastest. The biggest advantage of the fan airbags is that they willl keep trying to inflate if the initial inflation is restricted. Because the gas airbags rely on the venturi effect for a significant percentage of the inflation volume, any initial restriction which slows the inflation cannot be recovered.

If you're bored and have €49 spare you can buy a copy of CSN EN 16716 - Mountaineering equipment - Avalanche airbag systems - Safety requirements and test methods
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy