Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
@Perty, I know, it's very irritating. And frankly, a bit easily got round, if they don't check whether you go through another state that isn't in that status.

And, a bit (I know we've seen mistakes made before so it's not totally unreasonable) over cautious given very limited to no evidence of significant vaccine escape.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Perty, acccording to this page:https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/ the requirement is to self-isolate for 7 days. Not sure if it is still to be updated for today's announcement, but if not you might still be able to do most of that, apart from the meals
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still waiting on the FR government's announcement on when the quarantine starts and any further info, maybe later today........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, France just seems to be wobbling a bit more than others (Spain has gone mental..) Im interested to see how they handle the ‘Bordeaux’ variant
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All a bit bizarre really - one wonders how many B.1.617.2 variant cases there are in France, Austria, Germany?

Probably impossible to say as they are not sequencing (anything like) as much as the UK.

I would find it hard to believe that this variant wont become the dominant one all across Europe shortly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
France, Germany, Austria will all have as many cases of the variant detected in India as we do. Its just tit got tat, jealously and sour grapes over the success of the vaccine rollout and Brexit, they're itching to impose restriction on us.

It's so frustrating for normal folks who just want to get on with their lives.

It's been widely reported that vaccine offers excellent protection against all variant and the recent variant is not as transmissible as first thought, our media and modellers off the scale once again, I can't see that changing.

Feels like part of UK govt plan to keep us all local this year.

I do hope those with property or wish to holiday in France manage to and France sees sense before the summer season starts. Wondering if they need too see sense though, understand France enjoyed a great resurgence in domestic tourism last year. Desperately hope they need our money for winter!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m starting to get a bit nervous about all this. I’m in the U.K, but move to Andorra in August (at some point) to start a new job on 1st Sept. I was banking on things getting better by then, but not 100% sure now! To move out there, I obviously need to drive all my stuff out through France and can really do without it all taking an extra couple of weeks.

I’ve been fully vaccinated for quite some time.

However, I can fully see why France and Austria are getting nervous. I’m a teacher and live/work in one of the current hotspot areas. My current school and my previous school have managed the whole pandemic without one positive case, as have many others in our local area. That is until the last couple of weeks. It seems this new variant is transmitting much easier amongst children - it’s evident in the age range statistics published by our local council. One of my class tested positive on Sunday so I’m in isolation at the moment, as are a few other classes at my school. My PCR came back negative thankfully. It’s a very similar picture in many schools in our area. One of my colleagues at another school tested positive a couple of weeks ago. She had been fully vaccinated, and yet still felt quite ill when she had it.

Whilst most adults over 30 around here are vaccinated, very few, if any children or younger adults have been. You can see that it could be quite easy for vaccinated adults to take out unvaccinated children on a trip with them and those children manage to develop COVID after a negative PCR test.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 26-05-21 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Nadenoodlee, @James77, yeah, French broinlaw says it's all to do with fish. I thought Norway had sorted that out?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57256859
Well that’s the summer break gone
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From Monday 31st May travel to France is only with "essential" reasons, ie not tourism, visitors must show a -ve PCR test taken no more than 48 hours before arrival in France and then must self-isolate for 7 days, this is mandatory and not "sur l'honneur" as previously, this may be enforced by the police with potential hefty fines if not followed.......
No end date is given yet, guess that will depend on the Indian variant status in the Uk
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@KenX, the scuttlebutt round here that it's more to do with fish and general FR/UK political relations than any of your steenkin' variants ... most people getting Pfizer/Moderna which are nearly (if not as) as effective vs b.1.167.x as any other variant ... they're maybe a bit more transmissible, but a convenient cover.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KenX, do you know what the guidance is for those transiting through France?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, no...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was on the evening radio news. France has had 15 cases of the Indian variant. ALL of them linked to travel from India, direct to France. None from UK, so either being very cautious, or an ulterior motive.

But then, we are talking about the French....... rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
Was on the evening radio news. France has had 15 cases of the Indian variant. ALL of them linked to travel from India, direct to France. None from UK, so either being very cautious, or an ulterior motive.

But then, we are talking about the French....... rolling eyes rolling eyes

If France has identified 15 cases, it is absolutely nailed on that the real number is significantly larger.

They are gene sequencing fewer cases than Wales.............
snow conditions
@brianatab, ulterior motive sans doubt
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Sorry, no...

Thank you.
snow report
Does anyone know what entails 'essential' travel ?? As the only surviving relative my partner needs to get to Nice to sort out an ageing and ailing aunt, currently hospitalised. She has been scanning F/O and French embassy websites but has found no definition of 'essential' or what is needed to prove it. Any suggestions would be most welcome
snow conditions
@nickH, is she a French citizen or EUresident? If so, that is a compelling reason. I've looked at the EXIT attestation and life threatening illness of a close relative is mentioned on there, but the entry attestation is rather vague. The website is https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel
latest report
If my apartment were to flood/burn down/collapse it appears I wouldn't have a compelling reason to travel either.
latest report
thanks for the link@Hells Bells, the aunt is a long term resident in france but we're not sure of her exact status. From what I can see there is no mention of anything to do with ailing family, however wanting to study French as a foreign language is compelling enough for entry to be allowed. Perhaps my partner could be going to her aunt for French lessons !!!
ski holidays
@nickH, relaxation of the rules from Wednesday if your partner is vaccinated. https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jun/04/coronavirus-live-news-japan-taiwan-vaccine-fauci-calls-wuhan-lab-records?page=with:block-60b9f3308f082ac930ae9fb8#block-60b9f3308f082ac930ae9fb8 (at 10.35)
ski holidays
that is good news - thanks for the link @Hells Bells
snow report
Still need the quarantine on return to end. Not optimistic about our summer trip to Chamonix...
snow report
@iainm, it does seem rather perverse that in a couple of weeks I'll be totally free to travel around the EU (without even a PCR test) and yet I will still need to quarantine if I want to return to the UK.
latest report
Remember also that the other, parallel element to this is the FCDO classification in particular the 'does not recommend travel to' designation. For older (60+ typically) UK travellers, this designation means we can't get travel insurance*. So even if the traffic lights are green, we can't drive the car (to stretch the metaphor). Perversely, we're probably the group that can better-handle mandatory quarantine economically than younger ages, as we're more likely to be retirees. And have more time to organise and do tests. But as long as the FCDO designation prevents travel cover, we can't go.

[*Yes, younger age groups can, but when I've checked the insurers providing travel cover against FCDO recommendation, I've been ineligible due to age.]
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@iainm, it does seem rather perverse that in a couple of weeks I'll be totally free to travel around the EU (without even a PCR test) and yet I will still need to quarantine if I want to return to the UK.
It's driving me mad. Who would have thought I'd be agreeing with Theresa May - proof it's a crazy world!
snow report
FYI Information on the progress of the EU Covid Digital Green Pass due to start operating from 1st July. This comprises an app and paper equivalent that certifies vaccination, tests or recovery from Covid, and a mechanism to allow free movement of EU citizens with the appropriate certification. Of course, this is slightly tangential to the question of whether and when UK nationals can travel through/to various Alpine countries, since we're no longer EU citizens. But I mention it because once we are allowed back in, using the EU Covid Green Pass or an equivalent may be an important element of travel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The French Gov have now confirmed that people from the UK who are double jabbed no longer need a compelling reason to enter France, nor do they need to quarantine on arrival. This is also extended to children under 18 of parents who are double jabbed.

Whilst France remain on the amber list, it means we would still currently need to quarantine on our return, but the papers this morning are running with a story that the UK Gov are toying with the idea of allowing double jabbed people to travel to amber countries without having to quarantine on return.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, certainly in the Grauniad, not the Times. That would be great though!
snow report
@Timmycb5, fingers firmly crossed! Also hoping that the UK gov does do this they extend to under 18s in the same way.

I am on a knifes edge of rescheduling my summer holiday in French Alps.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-06-21 8:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, & with vaguely supportive comments from a minister on sky news:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-travel-restrictions-may-be-eased-for-britons-who-have-had-both-jabs-12334485
ski holidays
@under a new name, @NickyJ, @snowdave, Yes it's looking hopeful, and my gamble to book 10 days in Brittany in August looks like it might be paying off. Fingers crossed!

I just need to work out the testing requirements now. I "think" a lateral flow test (of which I have many downstairs) within 48 hours is acceptable, which means I won't have to fork out £300 for tests if that's the case!
latest report
@Timmycb5, I'm pretty sure that althoug a rapid test will be allowed, it will have to have a certified result. I don't think the free ones will count. Boots for a rapid testing service, and so do many others for a cheaper price than the PCR
snow conditions
sorry to be stupid but are they saying double jabbed ok to enter but still need negative test? or is the test for return?

We are on leave WEF 12th July & can leave it to last minute to go but I fear I may have missed the boat as I have done nothing about the dog yet
latest report
@Jonny996, yes, still need a negative test if double-jabbed.
snow report
Yes still need a test as @Hells Bells, says. France and Eurotunnel accept 48 hour lateral flow test, which Boots provide for £60 each with same day results, which is what I'm going to go for I think. We're travelling on Sunday morning and I really don't want to be panicking about a delayed PCR test sent off to a lab!
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@Jonny996, yes, still need a negative test if double-jabbed.

The rationale that it is perfectly safe to travel as you're fully jabbed so won't (+/-) be infectious but it's not perfectly safe to travel as you're fully jabbed without a test - which is, in and of itself, mostly meaningless?

Puzzled rolling eyes rolling eyes

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 17-06-21 10:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Qured looks like the way forward to me - do LFT at home over video link, get certified result within 60 mins. £39.

https://qured.com/health-travel-pass/#our-rapid-antigen-fit-to-fly-test
ski holidays
@under a new name, if vaccinated, you're a vastly reduced risk (vs perfectly safe) and that risk can be reduced even further with a test. Might be a bit OTT, but not entirely useless.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy