Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Gilly76 wrote:
Ghanny wrote:
@Perty, You say PCR test but a lateral flow test going from France to the UK is enough isn’t it?

Lateral Flow 24 hours prior for Unvaxxed. Nothing needed now for Vaxxed except proof

The lateral flow/24 hrs is for UK to FR, different (seemingly more lenient) requirements when returning to UK according to Eurotunnel website.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Lenient" refers to the pre-travel testing not the quarantine once in UK!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LaForet, The PLF is a complete mess and very confusing for the uninitiated. I think we've done it 3 x now, so understand the gibberish well enough to know what is meant. When we did it last Sunday evening, France wasn't even on the list for countries where you still needed to quarantine for 10 days.
As far as I know for other amber list /eu arrivals, you don't have to quarantine till you take your day 2 test, you just have to take the test on day 2.

Just back from our day 2 test. Booked test to release for day 5, mainly cos our experience at Express Test Gatwick is that they do turn it round very quickly. Any advantage of Test to Release based postal tests require you to have arrived in the UK on day zero at a time early enough to enable you to put your day 5 test in a priority post box for collection the same day (almost impossible if you are driving from the Alps to Calais to arrive in the UK late afternoon).
Part of me is quite relieved that I am not allowed out into society in the UK at the moment, given that COVID is far more prevalent than it was in France.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kedsky, surprised the hoyels weren't happy with EU fully vaxxed status? Or don't you have that?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Perty, various friends are going back to UK Monday and we're planning first week August, how fast was the Gatwick Express Test Day 5 test to release, and change from £200 ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, "package" for a 3 tests each (days 2, 5 and Cool was £189 (ouch!). At one point while we were away we thought we would only have to do the day two test, so were glad we didn't book too far in advance, but then Boris changed his tiny mind...

I can't say how quickly they will turn around the day 5 test, save that they say the results will come back by 10pm the following day for any test.
However-when we did our pre departure test on 28th June, we did it at 8am. The staff member said that test taken early got sent to the lab at noon so we might get the result back sooner. We duly had the results mid evening on the same day. For us Gatwick is so convenient so that factored into our decision to use the drive through.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So do 12 year olds need to have a test or not to enter France? I thought they did but just saw someone said French embassy said under 18’s don’t if they are travelling with vaccinated adults. Am very confused!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Perty, so you go to an actual place to take the test, in this case, Gatwick, which is not too bad for us too?

Which is I know one is allowed under the isolation rules though walking a dog still isn't.

Be interesting to hear what my friends' experiences are on returning back re knocks on the door or phone calls etc either way nothing happens before 08:30 from my phone discussions when I was being rung up back in May, but again might have changed?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, yes, it’s a drive though at south terminal in a car park. Dead easy. Yesterday we left the house at 5pm for a 5.20pm appointment, and got home by 5.45pm.
Re check ups. So far I’ve had a phone call each day (2 so far), the second of which I couldn’t take. Mr P had one call yesterday. Our friends who also came back on Monday, had a visit on Tuesday evening at 8pm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Children over 12 do need a test. It appears the UK Gov website is incorrect! See link below to the reply from the French embassy in London on twitter so we will get one. Eurotunnel also confirming this on their twitter feed as well.

@FranceintheUK
·
2h

France government organization
Replying to
@5arah_Marshall
Children aged 12+ need to present a negative PCR or antigen test less than 24 hours old to travel to French territory from the UK, even if they are travelling with a vaccinated adult. Children under the age of 12 do not require a test.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Vaccines Minister has just told the Commons that British nationals who have been vaccinated abroad will be able to register that vaccination with their NHS account in the UK, so that they will have the same quarantine arrangements when travelling to the UK as any other UK national. He said this will be in place by the end of July.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
The Vaccines Minister has just told the Commons that British nationals who have been vaccinated abroad will be able to register that vaccination with their NHS account in the UK, so that they will have the same quarantine arrangements when travelling to the UK as any other UK national. He said this will be in place by the end of July.

Well I guess that works. Not really equality for all though, as it doesn't really help those who have a partner or child etc. who is not a British national. It would be much more straightforward to recognise non-UK QR codes, rather than those of us who have been out of the country a while trying to figure out how to use another health service's app or what our NHS numbers are.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:

Only if you are UK resident! Non-resident citizens seem to simply not exist as far as UK government is concerned.

Quote:
UK nationals who had their vaccinations overseas and find themselves unable to register for domestic Covid passes, or obtain other double-jabbed benefits like avoiding quarantine when returning from amber list countries, should see this change soon, Nadhim Zahawi has said.

Asked about the issue in the Commons by Labour’s Rupa Huq, Zahawi, the vaccine deployment minister for England, said:

In terms of UK nationals who have been vaccinated overseas, by the end of this month they’ll be able to talk to their GP, go through what vaccine they’ve had, and have it registered with the NHS as being vaccinated.

The contact with a GP was necessary to ensure their vaccine was one of those approved for use in the UK, Zahawi added.

My vaccination certificate clearly states I was given a Moderna vaccine, approved in the UK. Why is a GP required to verify this? Are border force not considered capable of reading and understanding this?

He also said moves for afoot for reciprocal recognition of 33 other countries’ vaccination proof schemes, so non-UK nationals jabbed overseas could also have the benefits. This “will happen very soon”, he added.

So UK resident nationals who had their jab overseas will soon be sorted, and apparently they are working on non-UK nationals too. Non-resident nationals do not get mentioned at all (yes, I realise we will be covered by the latter but that’s not the point). It’s just an enormous fück you to the group with the most reason to travel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gämsbock wrote:
It’s just an enormous fück you to the group with the most reason to travel.

Well, you're probably not likely to be a Conservative voter, or any voter tbh if you don't have access to a proxy or have been out of the country for too many years, so there's no benefit to them rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, I still have a vote and still do vote, but it’s true I’m not and have never been a Tory voter. Whilst I suspect that non-resident nationals are less likely to vote conservatives than residents are, there are still Tory voting non-residents whose vote they are in danger of losing. However, it’s not just me this affects, it is my family. I do think there is a wider impact on unnecessarily restricting travel to non-resident citizens, who broadly are only traveling for family reasons. My inability to travel is hard, but harder on my British resident parents than it is on me. It’s not just a non-resident issue.

It is really starting to feel like they are being deliberately cruel.
ski holidays
So we can visit UK, quarantine for 10 days, register with a GP just so we can then visit them to get some paperwork sorted to allow us to not quarantine the next time?
I do wonder how many UK residents got jabbed overseas. Must be a miniscule number compared to the number of EU resident Brits (that they are probably secretly hoping will change citizenship)

Quote:

there are still Tory voting non-residents whose vote they are in danger of losing

lost, more like
snow conditions
@andy, yeah it’s about the most convoluted solution they could have come up with, which in the end doesn’t really solve anything? Just generates work for GPs to solve a handful of cases.
snow conditions
Wow. So much confusion. So many websites with differing information.
My head hurts trying to work out what I need to do just to go on holiday for a few days.

Here is my understanding:

Our situation;
Family of 4 (2 fully vaccinated adults and to kids 12&14)
Travelling to France 9th to 20th august
Flying with Ryanair from Manchester to Carcassonne

I think all 4 of us need a fit to fly pcr test before we travel and a 2 and 8 day when we get back.
We need to sign some kind of declaration to say we have no symptoms

In France all 4 of us need to take another test (not sure which one or where to get it) within 3 days of returning.
We also need to complete a passenger locator form.

So the questions to you lovely people are
1. Am I missing anything
2. Is all of the above correct.

Cheers
Smag.
latest report
Gämsbock wrote:
Only if you are UK resident! Non-resident citizens seem to simply not exist as far as UK government is concerned.
Ah, I missed that bit. Frustrating and seems so unnecessary, especially if you've been vaccinated with a vaccine already approved by the UK's MHRA.
snow report
@rob@rar, yes, exactly, especially the “unnecessary” bit Sad. And it’s even printed on my certificate which vaccine I received (Moderna, i.e. UK approved).
snow conditions
Yep, I specifically made sure the one I was offered was on both UK and EU approved lists for this reason.
Nice to know it's effectively a worthless sticker in my yellow booklet. Oh well, at least it's valid for the BB.
At this rate, it'll be easier for my octogenarian parents to visit me in Germany (ie do their holiday that got cancelled last yr), than it will for me to stop by their campsite near the Lake District on the way back to the port/airport on my vacation* next month.

*quarantine Wink
ski holidays
Took the kids to Samoens swimming pool today and was asked for my proof of vaccine. Threw me for a spin as hadn’t done anything with the french app. Luckily they accepted the QR code on my nhs app. Although it didn’t work on the app until I e mailed a pdf to myself.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:

Would be interested in the source of this as my mum is a non-resident national who has been overseas for 20 years - am pretty sure she no longer has NHS registration but could be a route back to the UK for her, despite being double jabbed with the Pfizer vaccine it's just not possible without a 10 day quarantine at the moment.
snow conditions
@Ghanny, Interesting that - have you come across the pool/shops/restaurants asking for vaccination proof for kids in the 12-18 age group? We'll be there in a couple of weeks and i'm worried that we'll be in the odd situation whereby my wife and I will be allowed anywhere as we can prove we are double vaccinated on the UK app, but our 13 & 15 yr olds won't be allowed in anywhere as they're not vaccinated (and as I understand it anyone 12 and older has to prove vaccination to go in restaurants etc.) ?.
ski holidays
@always29, she may have a note of her NHS number somewhere. I have things like that on a note to myself, and written down in a book of things to refer to it remember.
ski holidays
@always29, you can register with a GP almost online - I had to re-register to get vaccinated and it took ages. It's not an online form per-se but my GP allowed me to download it, complete it as a PDF then email it to them. Your mum would probably need to call them to confirm they'll accept this.
snow conditions
@DeuxBieres, No restaurant, shop or similar has asked me for any vaccination proof (I have 14 & 15 yr olds with me in France).

Compagnie du Mont Blanc issued a statement yesterday that, apart from their restaurants, none of their other sites (cable cars etc.) would require a vaccine passport.
latest report
always29 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Would be interested in the source of this ...
He said it in a statement to the House of Commons earlier today. I can't see anything on government website, but it might be a bit soon for that. So in the meantime this is how The Guardian reported it. There does seem to be an unresolved question about UK nationals who are resident abroad compared to UK nationals who happen to have been vaccinated abroad.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowdave wrote:
@DeuxBieres, No restaurant, shop or similar has asked me for any vaccination proof (I have 14 & 15 yr olds with me in France).

Compagnie du Mont Blanc issued a statement yesterday that, apart from their restaurants, none of their other sites (cable cars etc.) would require a vaccine passport.

I got the same statement - not sure how they can claim this - Aiguille du Midi, Montonvers and TMB are all over 50 person capacity and therefore subject to the pass sanitaire
snow conditions
https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-to-France-and-the-UK

The French Government website in the UK has just been updated with a much clearer flowchart of what adults and children need to get into France - documents and tests
snow report
snowdave wrote:

That's because it doesn't start until the 1st of August for those kind of places. Currently just places with 50 capacity or over - Disneyland Paris for example.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, thanks I'll keep an eye on it but sounds like being registered with a UK GP would be needed, she's not been in the UK nor have any links or any proof of residency in the UK unless we set up some dummy tenancy and bill accounts for her and that just sounds too dodgy to be able to get away with it Puzzled
latest report
always29 wrote:
@rob@rar, thanks I'll keep an eye on it but sounds like being registered with a UK GP would be needed, she's not been in the UK nor have any links or any proof of residency in the UK unless we set up some dummy tenancy and bill accounts for her and that just sounds too dodgy to be able to get away with it Puzzled

maybe Under a New Name can sort you out with some forgeries ?
latest report
always29 wrote:

The Guardian has added to its earlier report:
Quote:
Further to Nadhim Zahawi’s announcement (see 12.27pm) that UK nationals vaccinated overseas will be able to have their status authenticated, a reader got in touch to make the point that the stipulation of having to see a UK GP first makes it useless for most people.

Many of the affected group will be people living permanently in other countries, and thus without a GP in the UK. In fact, many EU countries’ health systems require people to de-register from their domestic health service.

The Department of Health and Social Care said it realises this is an issue, and that people in that situation will need to wait for the proposed mutual recognition of vaccination status between 30-plus countries, a process that is ongoing but – officials hope – will be concluded soon.
So recognition of the problem and hope of a solution, but don't hold your breath seems to be the message.
snow report
Idris wrote:
snowdave wrote:

I got the same statement - not sure how they can claim this - Aiguille du Midi, Montonvers and TMB are all over 50 person capacity and therefore subject to the pass sanitaire

I wonder if they are (claiming they are) a transport provider rather than a leisure provider? As well as the email it's also a popup when you hit the website, and scattered all over it. It does clearly state that you'll need the health pass to go into the CdMB restaurants from 1st August.

Edited to add - also just spotted this on https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/pass-sanitaire
[Google translate]

"To take into account the specific situation of certain categories of people, the obligation of the "health pass" is postponed to August 30 for young people aged 12 to 17. The reason for this is that since the vaccination was only opened for this age group in June, millions of young people would have been forced to perform repeated tests for all their summer activities, from July 21."

so it looks like @deuxbieres is still ok.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
Idris wrote:
snowdave wrote:

I wonder if they are (claiming they are) a transport provider rather than a leisure provider? As well as the email it's also a popup when you hit the website, and scattered all over it. It does clearly state that you'll need the health pass to go into the CdMB restaurants from 1st August.

They tried that one the other way round and didn't run those 3 this winter - either they were lying to us and they could have opened in winter, or they are trying to cheat the system and not have to run checks (and upset a fair number of prominent antivaxers) this summer.
ski holidays
@Idris, I can see the CdMB logic clearly...

"In winter, it's a leisure service, for skiers, who pay us once and expect to use us hundreds of times"

"In summer, it's a vital transport service moving money from tourists to us"

Note that other resorts (e.g. Tignes) are saying the same as CdMB, i.e. no sanipass for the lifts, only the restaurants.
snow report
Quote:

So recognition of the problem and hope of a solution, but don't hold your breath seems to be the message.

@rob@rar, I guess continuing to exclude us after the point at which they let pretty much any vaccinated tourist in unrestricted would be a step too far, even for this government. Though the way they treat us I almost wouldn’t be surprised if they found a way.

A belated acknowledgement that we even actually exist and “Just wait some more (undefined length of) time” to see your family is a pretty rubbish thing to say to a group who have already been waiting a year or more and in some cases can’t actually just wait any longer.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
Idris wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Edited to add - also just spotted this on https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/pass-sanitaire
[Google translate]

"To take into account the specific situation of certain categories of people, the obligation of the "health pass" is postponed to August 30 for young people aged 12 to 17. The reason for this is that since the vaccination was only opened for this age group in June, millions of young people would have been forced to perform repeated tests for all their summer activities, from July 21."

so it looks like @deuxbieres is still ok.

Huge thanks for this, one thing I can cross off on my ever growing list of "things to worry about before the holiday". Not sure i'll be able to relax once we get there, what with constant monitoring of the news and the threat of red list status hanging over us.

Maybe it's all a ploy to get us to drink more wine when we get over there Very Happy
latest report
snowdave wrote:

30th September 2021 for 12-17 year olds.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy