Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I haven't quoted all the sources because I frankly (a) can't be bothered to do the citation work and (b) don't think most readers are going bother to follow up - this isn't an academic forum and (c) most ski forum readers of a thread entitled Travel in France are going to find an academic epidemiological research paper approach boring/tangential.

Sorry, @LaForet, but I think it's pretty interesting. Much more intersting than carrying rucksacks, wearing helmets or winter tyres.
Quote:
Last time I quoted a figure it indeed put us into autumn as reaching the HI point and got 'corrected' by a number of people who regarded it as being too pessimistic. This time, I came out with July-August and am being corrected for it being too optimistic. I can't win

Isn't it generally acknowledged as a universal truth that you can never win
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist is afraid that they are right

Incidently I am not fond of the concept of "herd immunity". To me it is a straw grasped by those who don't want to be vaccinated to justify their decision.

Back to travel to France. I'm not happy that they are now relaxing their brief lockdown.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, "herd immunity" in and of itself is a perfectly valid objective...

Quote:

their brief lockdown

Not much of a lockdown!! On verras
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Travelling into France.
So far so good (sort of).
We had ready in large file binder: PCI test, Declaration for International Travel (UK), Sworn statement for travel ( France), Exemption for travel outside curfew, Letter fron Notaire confirming need to travel, List of items in car (vacuum cleaner, irons, fan, lights, etc.).
And all we were asked for was PCI test! No concerns about anything else.

In fact, fastest transit ever through security at Eurotunnel. Straight onto train. Big smiles all round. . . Until announcement of delay. Now been waiting 45 minutes Sad

(And being good boys and girls, we left behind usual box of cheddar cheese, milk, ready prepared and frozen meals a coz banned. Hah!).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, did your passport get stamped?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is an article describing the latest information on the proposed EU paper and app-based test & vaccination certificate system, including photos of initial design of the app

and the corresponding paper equivalent. I'm assuming that France will implement this standard. Release date is reported to be June.

[Tip: Don't scan the Qcode at the bottom of the paper version of the certificate. The URL has been hijacked.]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 27-04-21 15:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
@Jonpim, did your passport get stamped?

Ah. the crucial question Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm still hoping to drive down to the Swiss Alps, and possibly onto Lake Garda, in mid June, had to postpone it from last June. The plan is to drive down through France, plan B being to divert through Belgium and Germany. France is preferred for the food and the back roads, but C-19 in France is persisting.
Not booked anything yet, but routing and overnights pencilled down.
We've had 2x vax, and the motor's got fresh oil! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, skitow, yes: passport stamped.

And we were doing really great, whizzing along in good time, until so enjoying audio book of Terry Pratchet's Going Postal that I missed turning and kept on motorway to Metz and Nancy. By time realised it was too late to turn back. Set us back nearly 2 hours. rolling eyes
Still, its a lovely day, and we've seen a bit of France never been to before.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived safely. Easy journey. Roads quiet until Dijon. Pity about detour.

So, as long as you have PCR test, car travel in France no problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonpim, thanks for report, we will probably wait until after May 17th - and hope vaccinations might by then substitute for PCR - but useful to know the current issues.

For what it is worth, we have suffered too with a missed autoroute junction, took ages to rectify, not helped by trying to use Satnav. (It turned out the car Satnav had been set to avoid toll roads, which had no particular impact in the UK but meant it invented completely bizarre routes through France).

Good luck with your new place, look forward to further reports.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim, Thanks for the feedback. Were you able to stop at restaurants? Where was your destination?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidthornton wrote:
I'm still hoping to drive down to the Swiss Alps, and possibly onto Lake Garda, in mid June, had to postpone it from last June. The plan is to drive down through France, plan B being to divert through Belgium and Germany. France is preferred for the food and the back roads, but C-19 in France is persisting.
Not booked anything yet, but routing and overnights pencilled down.
We've had 2x vax, and the motor's got fresh oil! Very Happy

There will be no problem with this - even today you would manage with only minor inconviniences.

In late October, I flew from Geneva to the UK, picked up a car and drove home, via France, Belgium, Lux, Germany and Switzerland - I was never asked for any paperwork anywhere. Living within 10 min of Italy and 20 min of Switzerland, dispite what the rules say, there are NO checks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidthornton, take-away only. And many places were closing mid afternoon.
We took our own sandwiches, coffee, and mint tea.
Toilets all seemed extra clean.
Destination La Plagne.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I see Eurotunnel prices for the end of May are roughly £120 each way up from £90 this time last year so a £60 hike in return prices. Shocked Easyjet LGW/GVA are still a reasonable £80 return but with limited flight times, ie weekends.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BergenBergen, I booked for this Friday and was crazy money, £221 inc two dogs !!!

Yesterday was just plain Covid / Brexit crazy.

First, off go to the local pharmacy to get tests, that was all nice and easy and very calm, they printed them off etc and cost was zero.

I asked had she had many positives recently and she replied "three yesterday".

Next stop Post-Office to show the lady the "Pouvoir" I had compiled to let friends collect & sign for our Carte Sejours which will probably be delivered whilst we're back in UK.

So once back home further fine-tuning and entering details for the "Pouvoirs" and printing out.

Then book Eurotunnel as our tests were negative, and shout at the laptop when I see how much it is!

Then start the process of finding a company for the Day 2 & 8 tests, which was quite complicated as many were "sold out", eventually signed up for one and paid £169 each.

We'll do the Day 5 test to release but will drive up to Gatwick Airport for that.

Then next part of the jigsaw the Gov UK Visa & Immigration passenger locator form - of course, the first time we completed it we were unable to submit it as the arrival time was more than 48hrs away.

Then into town to the Vets for their check-up (another €81)and that was very pleasant and calm too and we enquired about French passports for our current two and then an additional one for the new pup in four weeks!

Buy wine on the way back Cool

Then back home to complete the passenger locator form, which I printed out as well as downloaded as I still had the printer out.

And then finally complete French Attestation for travelling tomorrow.

The highlight of today is looking after six pups whilst a friend is away.

Still have a feeling I've forgotten something Laughing
snow conditions
Eurotunnel prices for Feb 2022 look much the same as this year/last year.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:

That you've got to spend at least 6 months per year in France or your carte de sejour can be cancelled (hence the passport stamps)?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

That you've got to spend at least 6 months per year in France or your carte de sejour can be cancelled (hence the passport stamps)?

No problem with that, already racked up 4 months, and we're back in under a month, then a few more then back to the UK then back out late Autumn, well at least that's the plan touch wood.

Must cycle together this summer, meet you in Bourg ?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

No problem with that, already racked up 4 months, and we're back in under a month, then a few more then back to the UK then back out late Autumn, well at least that's the plan touch wood.

ok then you've forgotten nothing. AFAIKS.

See you when you get back. Maybe travel will be a bit easier in the summer?
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
We took our own sandwiches, coffee, and mint tea.

Were your sandwiches inspected? Did you have to contrive sandwiches without butter on the bread, and without cheese or a meat product as filling? Could you take fruit?
snow report
j b, as mentioned above, no one (UK or French) was interested in anything apart from the Covid Test result.
The UK lot did ask if we had any guns or knives. But no request for any forms related to why we were travelling or what we had in the car.
And certainly no sort of inspection. We will carrying our usual stash of stuff next time.
ski holidays
What is the situation for travelling across France, are hotels still closed? Is there any sign of opening up the French tourist sector, hotels, restaurants, etc?
ski holidays
I’m normally pretty good at this stuff but a bit confused. I need to go to our place in France for some repairs and plan was to fly to Geneva, get a hire car, drive across boarder, isolate in France (7 days), then do the trips to get the stuff for repairs and then fly back from Geneva .

Struggling to work out what the rules are ! Any help or good places where it’s set out
ski holidays
@davidthornton, As of the 19.5 bars/restos can open if they have terraces. Hotels have always (I think) been open, but room service only.

@alti - dude, I have no idea what the escape from the UK rules are but France quarantine is "sur l'honneur" - no checks.
latest report
@under a new name, many thanks.

Anybody know what’s the latest on travel to Geneva from London and cross to France?
ski holidays
@under a new name, thanks.
ski holidays
@alti - dude, I think you'd need PCR (72hrs) or antigen (24hrs) testing before flying to GVA (if there are any flights).

Transit thru France may be referred to here https://newyork.consulfrance.org/coronavirus-can-i-enter-france#Arrivals-from-Australia-Israel-Japan-New-Zealand-Singapore-South-Korea-nbsp
snow report
Is there a website for Covid travel updates for Britons wishing to travel through/in France?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could have a look around this website..

https://uk.france.fr/en/holiday-prep/information-coronavirus-france
ski holidays
@albob, thanks.
ski holidays
I would think this is the most accurate information:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rules-for-travel-to-France-and-the-UK
snow report
Just got back from a week in Corsica, which is still travelling In France.
Hotels are certainly open, as we stayed in one in Toulon. Restaurant and bar terraces are open.
You need a Neg PCR < 72h for entry into Corsica and Sardinia (I know it's Italy), but not for re-entry into France.
Travelling around France is trouble free, service areas are open etc...
snow conditions
The Guardian is reporting that France will impose a compulsory quarantine on travellers arriving from the UK because of growing concerns over the spread of the Indian variant of the coronavirus.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, yep, it's in the Fig, https://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/covid-isolement-obligatoire-pour-les-voyageurs-en-provenance-du-royaume-uni-selon-gabriel-attal-20210526

So just what good is my fully vaccinated status doing me?
snow conditions
France has just announced 10 day quarantine for anyone traveling from UK.. Sad

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210526-france-imposes-quarantine-on-uk-arrivals-over-covid-19-indian-variant-fears
snow conditions
Evil or Very Mad !!!***grrrrrrr!
I will be fully jabbed by next week, as will Mr P. I live in Sussex with one of the lowest infection rates in the country.
Shuttle booked for 1st July in a spirit of optimism earlier this week. I suppose there is hope, but I'm beginning to think not.
ski holidays
@Perty, i live in a schengen state and im not holding my breath for unrestricted travel (with vaccine) for the summer
latest report
I'm re-arranging June trip for September. What a lot of faff. All because the Chinese govt can't be trusted to keep a healthy house. I've told them in no uncertain terms at my local take-away!
Now we've got a Belarus president thinking he rules the skies.
The world was a much more ordered place when most of the map was coloured pink! Smile
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, EU still suggesting cartes vertes active from June 15 I think ...
snow report
Truth is, I could cry. I know it's a first world problem. All we want to do is drive to our own property on the side of a mountain and spend 2 weeks in the fresh air, cycling and walking and maybe the odd outdoor meal. I suppose I should direct my anger at Boris in the first instance for letting the s*dding Indian variant into the UK in the first place..
Meanwhile, the population of Bolton and other hotspots are allowed to wander at will because it's politically inconvenient to make people stay at home once more in a local lockdown.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy