Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
DJL wrote:
aalexander wrote:
driving back from Calais to PDS last Tuesday, at one toll plaza there was a queue to use the doofer lanes and several empty card ones. I've never found a pressing need to get a doofer.

In which case you use the card lane and the doofer opens the barrier anyway.

Or even better is the fast T lane which you can go through at 30kms an hour without stopping...works like a charm!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@j b, my thought was, could you not use the Italian or Swiss apps that don't have that requirement?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, interesting question. There is the possibility I suppose that France could only apply the booster requirement to their own citizens, but still allow other nationals to prove vaccine status with their own app. That would allow the Swiss off the hook (someone here said their booster programme hasn't even started yet) and allow the British to use the NHS app - just not TAC.

Who knows?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
j b wrote:
That would allow the Swiss off the hook (someone here said their booster programme hasn't even started yet) and allow the British to use the NHS app - just not TAC.

Who knows?

I think the Swiss can now direct read and validate the NHS App QR without the need for an interim app.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@j b, I think as it's actually an EU mechanism, while the French can quite happily mandate their own requirements for their own citizens (and, in my case, display valid as fully vaccinated despite only one jab + post infec'n) I think they have to accept any other countries "valid" statuses.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@j b, Just spoken to a mate who was in Tignes 3 weeks ago, all he ever showed was the NHS QR Code, didn't use TAC at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chocksaway, yes I'd heard that. But it is more of a faff to get to the QR code on the NHS app than it is on TAC. I guess you just need to save a screenshot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
j b wrote:
@chocksaway, yes I'd heard that. But it is more of a faff to get to the QR code on the NHS app than it is on TAC. I guess you just need to save a screenshot.

Its easy to get a QR out of the NHS app but you need to be logged in and have a data connection, but you can save it to Apple wallet and/or get a pdf emailed to you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@j b, @ster, Can we get a forehead tattoo Very Happy
It would be easier...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe if they put a little micro-chip in the jab.......
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, painful as they’d have to redo it every 30 days!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowhound Can you clarify your date of '11-8 December'? Did you mean 11th-18th December 2021? If so, then this is a complication, as not all resorts will be opening outside the Weekend, or fully-open all their runs before the key Christmas week.

Basically, I'd be considering the 'satellite' resorts of the 4 Vallées centered around Verbier - that's La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, and Veysonnaz. The big risk factor is the snow and degree of opening-up of satellites. Although it may be possible to find somewhere in Verbier if you're OK with self-catering.

Perhaps a quick look at the main Verbier 4 Vallées website and its accommodation pages. If nothing comes up, then I'd send a message to the Tourism Office stating your broad requirements and see if they can come back with anything.

My guess is that the biggest price difference vs a cheap Alpine alternative won't be the accomodation, but the lift pass.

Given the big price hikes in car hire rates at GVA, I'd strongly suggest you look at the train as an alternative. Use the SBB Timetable and set from Genève-Aéroport and to Verbier (télécabine) to get an idea of the practicality. DO THIS FIRST - Because if your flights don't work with a train transfer, then you might not want to bother with taking it any further. If you're considering La Tzoumaz, then as a satellite, the public transport links are more limited and there's a 3-4 hour gap in connections around lunchtime (make the to La Tzoumaz (téléc. Savoleyres) to see what's what. You'll have to change trains at Martigny for Riddes, then a short walk up to the Télépherique in Riddes to get up to Isérables, then the PostBus to La Tzoumaz.

To give you an idea of costs for a satellite like La Tzoumaz, a typical 2-bedroom 68m² apartment <10 minutes from the lift and shops would be around CHF 1450/week (£1,180), with underground parking, unlimited hot water and heating included. Guideline for a 1-day Adult skipass for the full 400Kms area is CHF 51 (£41.50) on the Verbier ticket page, but there should be cheaper multi-day and sub-area options.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 10-11-21 21:46; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaForet, Sorry, yes...typing too quickly! I've already had a car booked for months-£220 for a Focus for the week!
Thanks for the detail, and yes we go self catered. I'll have a look around Airbnb and see what prices are coming up as.
Cheers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No problem. The car makes all the satellites more feasible in terms of transfers. For Verbier, be aware there's relatively limited/expensive public parking, so a space included with the accommodation is really useful (be wary of 'public parking nearby' statements). As a guide, my link to our rental agency in La Tzoumaz should give you and idea of satellite prices ad apartment standard.

And I have to obviously declare a bias - our apartment is in La Tzoumaz. But I'd always concede that - especially at season start/end - Verbier is preferable in terms of piste accessibility, as it's the 'hub' resort.

If you do opt for the 4 Vallées, if you want to shop en route, you'll find a LTZ2 - Geneva airport car hire & Guide to Shopping en route on the Downloads section of our own website. For Verbier, at Martigny you don't drive towards Brig but continue on the Gd.St.Bernard autoroute to Le Chable, then up to Verbier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowhound, to another to @LaForet, good guidance and knowledge of the area, I'd put Siviez as a consideration.

Being at the centre of the north section of 4 valley ski domain, it offers a lot at decent cost. Right "in" the snow and has three different directions radiating from there as a hub, including one that's direct access straight to the top of Verbier ski slopes.

Easy car access with usually unrestricted car parking available, it's often overlooked as a place to stay but you'll certainly be through there if you explore all the 4 valleys available.

All of the 4V ski area are really good anyway, whichever you may pick.
snow report
@pateman99, Nope. Children over 12 (and under 1 do not need a compelling need to travel if they are travelling with their fully vaccinated parents.

I think the guideline is a fully vaccinated ADULT. Need not be a parent.
snow report
ster wrote:
j b wrote:

Its easy to get a QR out of the NHS app but you need to be logged in and have a data connection, but you can save it to Apple wallet and/or get a pdf emailed to you.

And once it’s in your apple wallet it’s actually easier than Tous Anti Covid as you can access it from your lock screen (which was always the pita as you had about ten clicks to get to your certs).
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, TAC lets you select a favourite pass so it’s unlock , TAC, pass sorted - 3 clicks
ski holidays
@under a new name, Apple Wallet for the win - double tap side button, select pass - no need to unlock your phone. wink
snow conditions
@andy from embsay, yeah but mine defaults to my Revolut card ...
snow conditions
@under a new name, well yes, but it’s but a minor swipe rather than an unlock… The QR code’s on my apple watch now too - not tried it in anger yet but it works ok with the Verif app.
ski holidays
Well not exactly busy at the Eurotunnel terminal so we were a tad relaxed but big queues at passport control, and Frenchies very officious, scanning COVID App codes, so that's a first, net result missed 08:20 by 5 mins, luckily there's an 08:50.

Hate to think what it will be like when busier during the holidays!
latest report
Booked the 10:20 for today, put on the 9:20 (which was £50 more) but squeezed on to the 8:50! Result!!
snow report
@andy from embsay, oooh, look at you! PS on your watch. Not having one, I hadn't thought about that, but it's a very cool/good idea. I like that.
snow report
@andy from embsay, @under a new name,

Easyway than that. Just take a screenshot of your QR code & set it as your wallpaper.
Don't have to press any buttons then.
ski holidays
good tip @Mr.Egg, will do it nearer the time, if we get to go that is Confused Confused Confused
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, that is actually a very good idea
latest report
@Matt1959, Race ya Laughing

Disgorging now!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mr.Egg, that does seem like a good idea. Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy