Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
@Jonny996,
From the French website https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/
Quote:

Each traveller aged 12 and over must present a negative PCR test taken less than 72 hours before departure or a negative antigenic test taken less than 48 hours before departure. If you are arriving from the United Kingdom, the PCR or antigenic test must have been taken less than 24 hours before boarding.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timc, you are quoting from a section relating to unvaccinated people. You would also first have to get over the hurdle of pressing grounds to travel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pateman99, Nope. Children over 12 (and under 1Cool do not need a compelling need to travel if they are travelling with their fully vaccinated parents.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm just going through all of the paperwork for a trip to France at October half term, and I'm genuinely beginning to think it's not feckin worth it. What a minefield.

Can anyone answer this..... For children over 12, with fully vaccinated parents, do they just tick the same things as the parents on the declaration honneur? I.e. no symptoms, no contact, and ignore the bit about doing a test on arrival and isolating?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, that is what I did and actually nobody asked for the declaration at all in the end…
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmycb5, the declaration d'honneur is something you are expected to have, but it isn't anything the border staff are worried about. Possibly if you were stopped by the gendarmes for any reason they would want to inspect all paperwork, but we have not been asked.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@j b, ah OK, cheers. I need to chill out a bit more.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timmycb5, it’s the need for single jabbed teens to have a LF test less than 24 hours before travel that’s a pain for us.
We need to take test, set off for overnight in Ashford & hope
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, I'm using a test from Excalibur for one of my kids on an upcoming trip. It reads the cartridge result and generates the certificate in the app in real time. Might be worth considering.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or fly to Geneva and transit into France from there?
This requirement for UK teenagers to go through extensive testing rigmarole is something which has been barely reported in the main media. I am hoping with more people now hoping to travel, it gets some serious traction. I have no problem with mine getting 2 x jabbed and respect the choice of those who don't. I just want mine to be given the option!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@j b, the staff at the gate Edinburgh this morning were asking what your destination was and to show your declaration d'honneur if France ...

funnily, at GvA passport control, Mrs U on her French passport was asked if she'd been vaxxed or not, and casually waved thru, whereas as I, an unclean brit had to show passport, carte de sejour, swiss locator, declaration d'honneur, *grandparents birth certificates, great grandparents wedding certificates, final decree from divorcing Mrs U mk1 ...

* somewhat exaggerating from this point onwards
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m adding the Brexit challenges into the mix & taking dog for first time since rule changes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, wow you must look a very suspicious individual!

I guess the fact people aren't (usually) asked for those papers doesn't mean you shouldn't have filled them in ready to present.

@Jonny996, is anything available at the shuttle terminal? We went over on the Rotterdam ferry and Holland (at the time, not sure if still the case) required a lateral flow test from all people arriving from the UK; P&O has set up a testing station at the ferry terminal in Hull to sort that out. Clearly an overnight ferry has a bigger potential problem when a test has to be within the previous 24 hours, but I would have thought other places would have exploited the potential market.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think @snowhound, has it spot on, they need to start letting the 12-17 year olds get their second jabs otherwise Europe sees them as unvaccinated
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@j b, as far as I could see, all the british passports were being asked for them, none of the French ...

@Jonny996, the French resorts are beginning to worry, paywalled in French I'm afraid, https://www.ledauphine.com/economie/2021/10/14/pass-sanitaire-les-jeunes-britanniques-de-12-a-15-ans-pourront-ils-venir-dans-les-stations-de-ski-francaises-cet-hiver
ski holidays
@under a new name, I just wish the media on this side of the channel has cottoned on as well. The impact on 12-17s seems to have been forgotten yet again.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@Jonny996, I'm using a test from Excalibur for one of my kids on an upcoming trip. It reads the cartridge result and generates the certificate in the app in real time. Might be worth considering.

@Jonny996, we used and will be using (next week) an LFD from Chronomics, results instantaneous on a web portal, print or export and keep with you. Price of Chronomics has dropped to £23 (or £19 with discount), and after today's announcement I am about to buy more to use as day2 on return.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
snowdave wrote:

@Jonny996, we used and will be using (next week) an LFD from Chronomics, results instantaneous on a web portal, print or export and keep with you. Price of Chronomics has dropped to £23 (or £19 with discount), and after today's announcement I am about to buy more to use as day2 on return.
Thanks for both those recommendations for commercial Day 2 tests. Very much looking forward to using the collective experience from fellow snowHeads this winter.
latest report
snowdave wrote:

Is Excalibur the system that only uses an app, and if so is it still true that it is only an Apple app and not (yet) available for Android?

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but if not it's worth getting that out there.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:

Is Excalibur the system that only uses an app, and if so is it still true that it is only an Apple app and not (yet) available for Android?

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but if not it's worth getting that out there.

Website says it works with both Android and iOS - I've only tested the iOS app so can't validate that.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, that’s the one I was recommended, though I struggled to get on their website yesterday. Must have had lots of traffic
snow conditions
@snowdave, OK, thx, either it's a different product to the one I'm thinking of or they have developed the Android app now. Is it about £20, the one I was thinking of was?
ski holidays
@snowhound, yep, I don't (given no one got to ski last year) changing their system just for the uk.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, yep, sounds like the same one. Its £15.50 via the BA website, so not only is it the fastest option, it's also currently the cheapest.

However, until 22nd we won't know which of these tests are valid for UK entry, nor will we be able to get the vital code for the UK paperwork, so I'm holding off buying any more.
latest report
@snowdave, Yep, I went onto Chronomics this morning to buy more, but thought better of it and decided to wait until a few days before we head back on the 30th.

Chronomics is £18.80 if you use a discount code from an airline, or go in through the BA portal.

Hopefully all the pre-travel LFD tests will just be re-packaged as 2 day LFD and the pricing will stay as is (or better still keep falling).
snow report
On a linked but different subject, does anyone know if LFD's taken out from the UK (like Excalibur, Chronomics, Living Well, etc) will work as the negative test needed every 3 days in France for the unvaxed?

Has anyone tried to use the QR code on a 'fit to fly' negative LFD result paperwork and import it into TAC to see if it generates a PS?
snow conditions
I am pretty sure the test needs to be done in France-the pre-departure test to get into France does not count.
ski holidays
@snowhound, that's a shame. I just hope they allow my 16yos to get a second jab before my skiing holiday. I don't mind forking out for 1 kid (my lad is 13), but splashing another €180 (6 tests) so they can use the pool and go for a bite to eat is verging on prohibitively expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, looks like that idea is not a flyer. Just tried to import an old negative PCR test, hoping it would come back as ok but out of date, no dice it just said wrong format and pointed me to some info that implied it only accepts negatives generated through a French results portal.

Ho hum.

I'll try an old negative LFD fit to fly result, but if you hear nothing here then assume it's a bust (which I expect).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 15-10-21 10:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Interestingly, the apartment block we are visiting in December (P&V Les Menuires) are treating single jab as OK for use of the pool. I checked with the apartment owner before making the booking.
But public pools might have a different policy.
snow conditions
None of the neg LFD fit to fly (various providers) actually have a QR on the cert, so that's def a bust.

We have just now been able to print a hard copy of my daughters positive PCR result, but again it's not the full 'proof of infection' letter that an over 16 can request, nor does it have any QR code.

If all else is failing by Xmas then we will try to apply through the French third country temp cert portal using the test result and a single vax cert. Trouble is the portal explicitly says it is not for EU or UK residents (as our systems are supposed to be harmonised rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes ).
snow report
Another question:

Anyone know if going for an antibody test in France and getting a positive result would generate a French proof of infection cert?
snow report
Yep when we had antigen tests in France we got a full EU QR certificate downloadable from the central system.

You get just random private company bits of paper for the U.K. travel tests so definitely not a runner.
snow conditions
@Skimum1, thx.

Next week isn't so bad, knocking off travel days we'll only be in resort 8 days so a couple of pharmacy tests will cover her and only cost €60.

Three weeks at Christmas and the same at Easter, that's a different kettle of fish.
snow report
@midgetbiker, how old is she? Been looking into it, and it looks like 16/17 yo's are likely to get the second dose around the 12 week mark. That'll be 2 out of my 3 fully jabbed, which will just leave my lad who I have to pay to get tests for.
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, 15 and just recovered, won't get the first jab until late Nov. Won't be 16 until May (immediately post ski season of course).

I mean if she's old enough to play Lacrosse in an under 19s squad, then plainly she's old enough for 2 jabs, surely no one can deny the obvious logic of that! Laughing
snow report
@midgetbiker, Oh man, the timing sucks! My lad (13) will be recovered AND jabbed by the end of Nov, so technically we should all be fine, but thanks to the crap system we have, I'll be forking out £100 on entirely unnecessary tests just for him!
latest report
@Timmycb5, I had thought to get her 1st vaxed in France on a temp CV reg number in late Oct, reject UK offer of jab in Nov, then 2nd jabbed in France in mid Dec. Then it would be a week of neg LFD's until just before Xmas, and then away we go!

We'll see.

Annoyingly about 50% of her classmates are double jabbed already. They are either Spanish, French, Chinese, HK, Mexican, US, etc, etc. The US kids have just been tripping off to the base up the road to get their 2 jabs.
snow report
Skimum1 wrote:
Yep when we had antigen tests in France we got a full EU QR certificate downloadable from the central system.

You get just random private company bits of paper for the U.K. travel tests so definitely not a runner.

@skimum1 - how did that work? Did you have to go to a clinic or could you do by post. We are travelling Christmas. My 14yr old had covid in July so will be just under 6 mths, still haven't been given date for 1st Jab, so no way will they fit 2 in before end December (even if the rules change).

Now if we could get a French antigen test that ticked the box that could be a lot easier. Otherwise will be asking about pharmacies in La Plagne !
snow conditions
-- nonsense, deleted.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 15-10-21 14:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy