Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
@Ozboy, prepare for a postal bill. Everything in Switzerland is invoiced. BUT they’ll bill via KVG/ Lamal (state health) first
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Nadenoodlee,cannot recall them asking for our address but perhaps they will trace through the EHIC we presented. In any case we have travel insurance if billed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Came back from France via Eurotunnel last night. Pre-departure Covid tests done by C19 testing. Straightforward and certificates back within about 4 hours after uploading photos. All documents (PLF and test) uploaded to ET booking.

Pet check-in was busy but everyone was being processed quickly and efficiently. Didn't manage to arrange French pet passport this time but discussed with the vet in Aime and so will do on our next visit.

Eurotunnel was busy and we arrived at 17:10 for a 18:20 departure but ended up on a 19:20 train. The guy at check-in was asked to hold us at his gate for a while to help ease congestion inside. We chatted while we waited and he said it had been busy all week and admitted we wouldn't get on the 18:20 he had just checked us onto.

Just slow snaking round the car park and through border controls. Majority of FR and UK booths were open. French stamped passports and UK checked them. No one asked for any additional paperwork.

Day 2 test from Testing for All arrives later today.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sno trax, Can I ask which vet in Aime? I've heard one simply wont issue UK dogs with a French passport. Message me if you prefer...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin, did you use the one in Moutiers?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As I’ve previously mentioned I’ve used a range of testing providers recently, my experience for antigen/Fit to Fly is below. I’ll also review my Day 2 tests later

Fit to Fly & UK Return - Antigen

Qured
Cost £39 Discounted £33 Codes BATRAVEL15

Ordered and arrived with 48hrs via a DPD 1hr time slot.
You have to book a video consultation for this test, that takes around 10 mins. Then after the test has developed you upload a picture of the slide with you passport. You are then able to access your Fit to Fly certificate usually within the hour.
I’ve used Qured 3 times now and it’s not always easy to get a time slot that is convenient even 2 weeks in advance. A rescheduled meeting recently meant having to find another time slot for my test. Sometimes I’ve been put in a waiting room as no agents were available at my allotted time and had to wait an extra 10/15 mins for my consultation. The quality of agent and the instructions they give can vary greatly.

Never had a problem with the certificates Qured issue at airline check in and upload to Verifly works.

Chronomics
Cost £28
Discounted - £22.50 using your BA Locator Number / Past Locators do not work/Jet2 also offer a discount.

Ordered and took 6 days to arrive (Ordered Thursday afternoon arrived Wednesday) I was leaving the order address on the Friday afternoon (8 days after ordering) for a flight at 0545 on the Saturday morning so it got slightly worrying when the tests took so long to arrive.
I’ve since learnt that Chronomics delay dispatch of tests so they arrive around 3/4 days prior to departure. It might be worth tweaking your departure day slightly if you get nervous.

Easy to follow instructions and upload a picture of the developed slide along with the photo page of your passport.
The certificate with the negative test result was returned within 10 mins. Uploaded to Verifly and got approval within the 1hr.

Problems occurred at Edinburgh Airport - the desk agent wasn’t interested in Verifly, this is usual!The paper copy of the Chronomics test result was handed over and the BA check-in agent checked her sheets of approved testing suppliers. After checking with a colleague announced that Chronomics are not on the approved list for antigen providers only PCR (country we were going to only required an antigen)
After explaining that BA recommend Chronomics on BA.com she agreed to phone the duty office in London. Within a minute she was corrected and we were checked in. Not a pleasant experience at 0430.

C-19
Cost £29 Discount Code - Not found yet

Order before 8pm and they arrived the next day via a DPD time slot ( check weekends and bank holidays)

I ordered these as a back up as the Chronomics took so long to arrive. Then also when I had a last minute trip. Can’t fault the delivery.

Register kit when you need to use it 72/48hrs prior to flight. Easy instructions, then the usual picture of test slide and passport sent.
The results do take slightly longer to be returned, over 9 tests the average is 5 hours.
No problems at any BA desks and again accepted by Verifly.

One point for all the tests is you have to write on the plastic slide. Ballpoints on plastic don’t always work so a pencil is better.
Our local pharmacy in Val d’Isere also do testing but the week we were there they couldn’t do any due to a technical issues, so glad we had tests with us for the return journey. A trip round to Tignes in summer would have been fine but winter and relying on ski lifts maybe not. Lyon Airport also offered testing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As per @muppet's post above.

Chronomics do a discount with Jet2 but the one on Jet2's site doesn't work. I did a lot of Googling and found a way to get the Jet2 discount, this made Chronomics the cheapest, BUT, when I needed 2no more I could not remember how/where/what the code and procedure was.

Living Well at £25 was therefore cheapest, and the service was pretty good too.

Regards delivery: Chronomics work off your departure date, I was worried by the estimated delivery (due to weekend) and so amended the order to a departure date two days earlier, and the delivery estimate (which was correct) came forward too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
@boredsurfin, did you use the one in Moutiers?

Hi, no I have used the one in Aime for the last few years. Our visit last month was only for a week so left little one with my Daughters - had to prise her away from them when we got back Toofy Grin We will definitely take her with us for Xmas with an AHC and then talk to our usual vet in Aime and then visit the other vet in Aime if needs be...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, we've used Moutiers one a couple of times when we've been to Val Thorens, and they've always been excellent, so if Aime can't sort it for you, perhaps they can.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting report on Covid Testers from Which:
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/08/travel-news-cheap-pcr-covid-19-test-discount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
Interesting report on Covid Testers from Which:
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/08/travel-news-cheap-pcr-covid-19-test-discount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/
this would be good to put on the main, non France-specific thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Came off the motorway at ten past nine
Now on a train waiting to depart cant complain at this service !!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone used the new'ish Excaliber products?

I think the day2 PCR is pretty standard, the lateral flow appears to be read by you using an (Apple only) app and this auto generates your cert.

A lateral flow and day2 PCR is £56 for both.

The saving I guess comes from the fact that most of the cost of the trad remote lateral flow is the test reading and cert generation, the app makes that nil marginal cost for Excaliber.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are off on Eurotunnel on Friday - using a voucher from Easter 2020 ski trip, driving to Paris for long weekend and then heading south to tour around Limousin/Dordogne/Vineyards for the rest of two weeks to see where we might like to move to in couple of years! Might head to the coast for a night on the way back for a cheeky surf. Taking C19Testing return test with us.

Can't wait - not sure it will be the same excitement as boarding Eurotunnel heading for the Alps in winter though!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really speedy through Eurotunnel this morning. Small check in queue, then Dogs documents checked and give hanger for our booked train. Car swabbed and passprts checked by both uk and france but no passport stamps just a wave of the covid vacc certificates.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, they tested your car? can cars catch viruses? I mean, computers can ... wink
snow report
Smoothest ever return journey to UK.
Lovely driving weather.
Eurotunnel: 31 minutes from check-in to getting on train.
Just arrived UK.
latest report
How's this for a crazy bunch of bollox.

Have to travel to Paris for a mate/client tomorrow to drop something off most urgent at a Hotel at Charles de Gaule airport.

So Eurostar tomorrow 10:24 arriving 13:47 and then returning just over 5 hrs later at 19:13.

So will take a test at St Pancras and use that for the return rather than go to a pharmacy in France etc.

Needless to say for all the hassle etc I'm being rewarded rather well, but not too sure I'd go through all the stress just for the money anyway, just that he's really in the pooh and I'm his only, very last-minute solution!
latest report
@Weathercam, I learned from the TV you should use coffee beans to prevent the dogs from sniffing it Razz
snow report
I have just heard from a friend now happily in Italy having travelled on 5th September.
Uneventful journey other than a two hour delay getting onto the Eurotunnel train, caused by French passport control. Only Covid related paperwork that was required was proof of two vaccinations at the same time as showing passports.
No further checks in France other than showing proof of two vax at a hotel in Chamonix. No more documents or certificates required going into Mt Blanc tunnel.
Only eaten out twice in Italy so far, both outside so no checks made. The Italians are all wearing masks even in outside spaces.
There for about six weeks and will be bringing their own olive oil home.
snow conditions
Pamski wrote:
Only Covid related paperwork that was required was proof of two vaccinations at the same time as showing passports.
No further checks in France other than showing proof of two vax at a hotel in Chamonix.

Pamski... The proof required, was that just the QR code from the NHS? Or something else? Did any scanning or checking get done? Being in Wales, that's what we get, not sure about NHS England.
snow report
@Charliegolf, She just said ‘proof of two vaccinations’. I imagine she had the proof on phone (QR code) and printed out - only imagining that as that was what we had done and I had told her that. Sorry can’t be more definite.
snow conditions
Well decided on getting my antigen lateral flow test here in the UK as it's valid for 48hrs and will save me faffing tomorrow in France and maybe associated stress of waiting for result as I'm on a tight time scale.

Rang same pharmacy up who ripped me off £120 back in May when I urgently needed a test after my postal one came back invalid, and this time round £50. Ok more than €29 in France but like I say don't need the stress of getting one done there.

As a postscript this coming Sunday I'm getting my third jab, 2nd on the NHS as it's the only way of getting my ,NHS passport as my second in France is not recognised.

So where I was just about the only one out of all my friends who up to nigh on the end of July had only one jab when they'd all had both, I'll now be ahead of the game Laughing
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Well decided on getting my antigen lateral flow test here in the UK as it's valid for 48hrs and will save me faffing tomorrow in France and maybe associated stress of waiting for result as I'm on a tight time scale.

Rang same pharmacy up who ripped me off £120 back in May when I urgently needed a test after my postal one came back invalid, and this time round £50. Ok more than €29 in France but like I say don't need the stress of getting one done there.

As a postscript this coming Sunday I'm getting my third jab, 2nd on the NHS as it's the only way of getting my ,NHS passport as my second in France is not recognised.

So where I was just about the only one out of all my friends who up to nigh on the end of July had only one jab when they'd all had both, I'll now be ahead of the game Laughing

And then you'll get called up for an NHS booster!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Hells Bells, they tested your car? can cars catch viruses?

Probably not a good idea to do a ski race in Scotland then drive to France.
snow report
Fastest travel check-in at Eurostar St Pancras think I've ever experienced, Passport and Tous AntiCovid app shown - only downside now have nigh on a hour and 45min wait for the train!

Then once in Paris train out to CDG airport, find the hotel, drop the package off, train back to Paris and then hopefully Eurostar back London!

Then final leg 2hrs back to Worthing Sad
snow report
Super fast to Paris, getting out to CDG was a ball ache due to security issue after someone left bag on a train!

Hiked to the hotel which was not too far from RER station and package (passport) dropped off.

Now having a well earned beer at the Caf du Nord outside the station, and no-one is being asked to show health pass, and there's a lot of people passing through!

Check-in for return leg back to UK, and then the potential of a second ball ache, getting back to the South Coast, where I think I'll open up one of my Lelande de Pomerol's After today's mission Very Happy

Further Edit:
All through, again an absolute breeze, had to show Vax status to French customs and evidence of Passenger Locator form to Eurostar staff but not examined and just scanned my passport at UK customs area.

Could not see any UK Border Patrol staff anywhere, E-gates were manned by one Eurostar guy!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, sounds as if your trip was win-win if you not only got the job done but replenished your cellar with claret!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@j b, aaahhh unfortunately not this time, that was wine I brought back when I drove four weeks ago.

No wine to drink in the Eurostar Cafe just warm Heineken, though think I have dinner on the train......
snow conditions
@Weathercam, As per my Q above, did they scan your vax passport, or just look and nod you through? Ta.
latest report
@Charliegolf, yes they took my phone (douane) and scanned my Tous Covid app barcode, so very thorough compared to Eurotunnel four weeks ago.

No-one wanted to see my test result that I had yesterday.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Cheers.
snow conditions
Cheers to @Weathercam too, though toasted with a humble Cahors.
ski holidays
Looking much better for the season but let’s get October half term out the way first.
With U.K. 12-15 year olds only getting 1jab does anyone know what that means for them entering France
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
Looking much better for the season but let’s get October half term out the way first.
With U.K. 12-15 year olds only getting 1jab does anyone know what that means for them entering France

Not sure but hoping it means exempt from quarantine for them…. if not, no holidays for us.
Disappointed but not surprised to see there is no change in the testing requirements for Scots …. Predeparture left and day 2 PCR.
snow conditions
@Rookiescot, no holidays? Other countries are available
ski holidays
Rookiescot wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Not sure but hoping it means exempt from quarantine for them…. if not, no holidays for us.
Disappointed but not surprised to see there is no change in the testing requirements for Scots …. Predeparture left and day 2 PCR.

I’m prity sure scotland will follow in coming days, also if you’re driving do you follow English or Scottish rules?
latest report
Not if single vaxxed teens have to quarantine on return as do unvaccinated folk…. But perhaps I am being too gloomy…devil will be in the detail.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Rookiescot wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

I’m prity sure scotland will follow in coming days, also if you’re driving do you follow English or Scottish rules?

Hope so!!!
Definitely English if driving!!
snow report
@Jonny996, England is where you “land” so you follow English rules for the PLF.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy