Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel in France

Poster: A snowHead
Friends were out in Chatel last week and went home yesterday. Tested in Chatel pharmacie for €25 each and no issues at Eurotunnel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@j b, Think I can picture the pharmacy that you used. I'm sure I'll find it easily enough if needs be so thanks for the heads up.

We plan to return mid October to replace our kitchen (which is going to be a whole new world of problems) so if you're around it would be good to meet up for a coffee/beer/chat.

Really looking forwards to getting back there, it will be worth the hassle!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Returned from France to London via GVA today.

I can absolutely recommend the Chronomics test to return kit. Costs only £22 with BA discount, or £28 normally.

You do the lateral flow test, put result into the website and upload the photo, and a certificate is emailed within literally a few minutes.

Much easier than faffing around with a local pharmacy, and similar cost.

I also recommend using the Verifly App if you are flying with BA. The check-in agent at GVA seemed extremely happy and grateful that I'd used it! She just needed to glance at my "Verifly pass" rather than inputting all the PLF info etc. The App itself reads your PLF and vaccine QR codes and verifies them automatically. The test to return certificate is verified manually which takes a few hours. I had it all sorted the day before my flight.

I showed my passport at the usual points, but the Verifly App check at GVA was the only additional document check for me the entire journey.

Incidentally, I crossed between France and Switzerland many times over the past week by bike and car (French hire car) and was not stopped once.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere in this post but as its now 32 pages long its like trying to find a needle in a haystack .
Im going to Bergerac in a few weeks with a group of about 30 and some of them are less than competent travellers ( i.e struggle with technology and paperwork outside of boarding passes and passports Eh oh! )

My question is , does the pass sanitaire have to be presented in a digital format on your phone via the tousanticovid app or can you show a paper copy of your vaccine record or a negative PCR test if requested .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gwatts10, i only have paper print out of my NHS covid vacc QR codes and it has worked everywhere in the PDS area up to now. Usually the staff use a smartphone to scan the paper code. Remember it is the second vaccination QR code and for me it is counter intuitive that it is the one on the left of my paper printout. All bars and restaurants are checking in this area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@gwatts10, French restaurants (etc) use a phone app to check vaccination status and it should recognise the (English) NHS QR code from a paper copy. Apparently you can download the app yourself to make sure (it is called something like CovidVerif).

However ... not everywhere has downloaded the updated version of that app which allows recognition of NHS codes. This happened to us at one place, but when they saw the QR code we were showing them was actually on the French TousAntiCovid app they decided we were OK. I think France requires establishments to check, but gives them some autonomy over how to satisfy themselves you are vaccinated.

@Snow Monkey, October plans are a bit vague at the moment but we are thinking of a trip so it would be fun to meet. Also to learn about the ease/complications of kitchen refurbishment in France - our kitchenette (is that the right word when it is the corner of the living room?) is well installed and looks good but not well thought out in terms of usefulness.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@j b, to be very exact, some (well, one IME so far) use the Bill Gates induced Windows_in_the_Brain app courtesy of mRNA virus delivered nanobots* to simply eyeball the QR code.

* This bit may actually be a wildly ridiculous nonsense, not even worthy of "conspiracy" or "theory" but certainly I have had my QR code "scanned" by what appeared to be a very human looking humanoid using mk.1 eyeballs alone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Small sample size but 50% of the bars/restos I’ve visited in Chatel didn’t bother checking. Only been out twice, mostly picnic or stayed in the apartment. The one not checking is the smartest place in the village and know us (well, mainly Mrs DJL Smile ) and an outside terrace.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes we had a mixed experience. Several took the view that proof of vaccination was only needed for inside seating, and there seemed to be a general view that if they recognised you you must be OK. And the @under a new name experience, deciding their obligation was only to ask to see something not to worry about verifying it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perfect thanks to everyone for quick answers , Ill suggest the team have a hard copy print out as well as their NHS app to hand if possible
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gwatts10 If you decode the QR code you'll find that the string of encrypted characters it represents is exactly the same, whether in the NHS App, or its PDF, or its printout or the TousAntiCovid App or a printout of that. The app is just one way of displaying the code, which is the same whatever the mechanism used to display it. So, when the validation app scans the App screen or paper, it just gets the same result. As mentioned, you want to present the 2nd vaccination code, not the first. I think it's definitely worth having the paper copy, however much of digital native you may be, because in may cases it's just easier to present plus your mobile could always run out of power.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 26-08-21 18:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My wife just flew back from Geneva with easyjet to Manchester. She said they started boarding the plane about an hour early to get through all the document checks. She said the people with printed docs were far quicker as was taking people ages to find four different docs on their phones. Very different from just showing a boarding card on your phone. You will also need to access a PLF, a vaccine cert and a test result.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pateman99, When I was departing GVA, there was a BA plane and an Easyjet plane leaving around the same time from adjacent gates. Easyjet seem to do their checks at the gate which takes ages as you say. BA however, do the checks at the check-in desk so boarding at the gate is as quick as normal. You can also use the Verifly app to further streamline the process at the check-in desk.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can you still transit via Netherlands to France? Had an email from P&O today which states we'd need to quarantine for 5 days. We are all double vaccinated
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boabski, the last I heard (via P&O) was that travel is now possible but they expect you to meet the requirements of Netherlands and any other countries you plan to transit through. Not sure about the quarantine (you can tell them you will quarantine in France, knowing that once you get there it is no longer required) but more onerously you need to do pre-travel tests you don't need just for France.

Much as we hate the drive to Folkestone, we decided it was safer to manage requirements for just two countries.
snow conditions
From p&o

Travellers who are fully vaccinated / EU citizen / qualify for an exemption or essential reason:

Will be permitted entry to the Netherlands, and must provide acceptable proof of vaccination, which includes the NHS COVID Pass/EU Digital Covid Pass.

All aged 13 and over must show a negative PCR test result (taken no more than 48 hours before departure)

or

Show a negative antigen test result (taken no more than 24 hours before departure).

Children under the age of 18 travelling with vaccinated adults are not required to show proof of vaccination.

Mandatory self-quarantine of 10 days applies to all travellers aged 13 and over arriving in the Netherlands from the UK. There is an option to test and release after 5 days. This also applies to travellers who have been vaccinated. Children aged 12 or under are exempt from the mandatory quarantine. See the Dutch government’s website for full details of quarantine requirements.

You must also complete a quarantine declaration form in addition to the required covid test result & proof of vaccination

You should not use the NHS testing service to get a COVID-19 test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test. A list of all approved private providers of coronavirus testing is available here. You cannot take an NHS test abroad with you to use on yourself before you return.

To streamline your travel plans, we are able to provide rapid antigen coronavirus tests on the day, at the Port of Hull. Please allow an extra hour prior to checking in. This service will be available every day of the week between 2pm and 6pm. The tests cost £29 plus VAT (total payable £34.80). On arrival at the port, you will be directed to the building where your test will be carried out.

You cannot transit through the Netherlands to another EU country without completing all testing requirements for the Netherlands and all of the EU countries that you are travelling through– exemptions for covid testing apply to airport transit only.

TRAVEL FROM EUROPOORT TO HULL:

The Netherlands is currently on the UK Amber list.

Those not fully vaccinated under the UK, EU or USA vaccination scheme:

You must take a pre-departure COVID-19 PCR or antigen test 3 days before departure and present evidence of a negative test – children aged 10 and under do not need to take this test
You must book and pay for day 2 and day 8 COVID-19 travel tests* – to be taken after arrival in England.
You must complete a passenger locator form
You must self-isolate at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test
You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

Those fully vaccinated under the UK, EU or USA vaccination scheme:

Must take a pre-departure COVID-19 PCR or antigen test 3 days before departure and present evidence of a negative test – children aged 10 and under do not need to take this test
You must book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 travel test* – to be taken after arrival in England.
You must complete a passenger locator form and declare that you have been fully vaccinated on your passenger locator form.
Show proof of your vaccination status - via the UK NHS App, PDF download or letter, EU Covid Digital Pass or CDA card.
You will not need to quarantine on arrival in England.
Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 test
ON BOARD CHANGES:

• The Kitchen restaurant has been re-organised with your safety in mind and our dishes will be served to you by our team
• Our Brasserie is currently closed & entertainment is currently limited
• Our bars and shops are open in line with current guidelines
• You must continue to wear a face covering in all public spaces onboard
• Coach transfers are suspended, if you pre-booked a transfer please contact us for a refund as you will need to organise alternative travel arrangements
latest report
Who is best for Day 2 tests at the moment. I think we have missed the deadline to order from Expert Medicals, as they are dispatch within 5 days, and we get back on the 1st sept. TIA.
snow report
@Klamm Franzer, We used Dante Labs. £49. They despatched next working day with Royal Mail 24 arrived on time. Royal Mail 24 return included in price. We tested took to a post office so we could get a proof of posting although we could have used the Royal Mail priority post boxes. They received next day, notified us by email of receipt and results by that evening. Very efficient and very pleased.

Don't know if they're the best or cheapest but they worked well for us.
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer, Nationwide Pathology £40 https://nwp-online.co.uk/home/p/covid-19-day-2-pcr-testing-package-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers
snow report
We used Dante too - just shoved it in a priority post box, doesn't really matter how long it takes as you don’t need it to release from quarantine. If your day 2 is a sunday - it may be be easier to do it on the saturday. I had a posting nightmare and had to drive to Slough from Reading to post my Day 2.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info! With a bit more digging I've got testing locally on our return for £39, so not much in it. I hope that the testing requirement decreases in time. I think it is becoming a bit of an industry in itself and also [still] quite costly for what you get. Grumble. Had a nice holiday though Cool
latest report
@Klamm Franzer, we used the Expert Medical people, on the basis that delivery issues reported here weren't relevant when what we mainly needed was the booking reference and their £28 cost was reasonable. We had missed that dispatch info, so were surprised to get an email to say they were scheduling delivery when we were away and there was no one to answer the door; however the email included a link to change the delivery date which we did to after we were back.

Mind you no result received yet, but they claim 72 hours from posting which gives them until this evening. And of course we have already benefitted from the reference number so it isn't that important.
snow conditions
Ok, this probably isn't written in the spirit of the testing regime, but given I think it is a con designed solely to put people off overseas travel by making it as complicated and expensive as possible, I am trying to find a way to make it as cheap and painless as possible. I've got a bigger chance catching Covid in Cornwall and Northern Ireland than most green/amber countries, and the 'testing for variants' argument collapses when we see the tiny rate of sequencing of positive tests and the fact that green/amber countries have to publish reliable sequencing data anyway. And that supposes that they actually might have an undetected variant that we don't have already here in the UK.
So, with that in mind...
1. Is there anything stopping you from ordering the Day 2 from the cheapest, most unreliable company on the FCO approved list, just to get the necessary PLF code-and who cares if it arrives on time, or indeed if it arrives at all? Or actually, if you actually return the test.
2. Are all the Lateral Flow tests (before returning to the UK) supervised online-or are there any where you 'take the test' and just send them a photo of the negative result?

Cheers.
snow report
@snowhound,
@snowhound wrote:

2. Are all the Lateral Flow tests (before returning to the UK) supervised online-or are there any where you 'take the test' and just send them a photo of the negative result?

This one https://www.c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel . Write serial number on test cartridge, take test, take photo of cartridge and passport, upload, receive cert 6 - 12 hours later.
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
Ok, this probably isn't written in the spirit of the testing regime, but given I think it is a con designed solely to put people off overseas travel by making it as complicated and expensive as possible,

What, the compulsory tory party donation fund? Surely not.

As I have been researching this myself recently, it is comforting to know that travel in the other direction is far simpler, at least.
snow report
I would avoid an online supervised return test. I booked ours with Qured and it was fine for the teens’ fit to travel for France. When I tried to book return to the UK calls a fortnight before we needed them all the weekend slots were booked full Thursday- Sunday and there was no chance of four together or remotely close. I was just told to keep checking for cancellations. This led me to read the reviews littered with complaints about unavailable slots. It was particularly unhelpful as we are driving back from France and so quite tied up for a day and a half of the testing window. In the end we just went to the pharmacie. Hopefully I can use these Qured ones another time but otherwise the pharmacie was well worth it, walk in, super quick and efficient.
ski holidays
Friends took qured tests in the uk on Tuesday (not sure if lateral flow or pcr) and yesterday qured emailed them to say they were too busy and couldn’t process the test results……
snow report
@Matt1959, oh no! Hope it didn’t affect their holiday plans. Sounds like that might be in my future for the Day 2 test rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Skimum1, Actually my friend can't count, so he organised the tests 4 days in advance and not 3, so they had to do another set anyway! They got to France successfully, just expensively....
snow conditions
musehead wrote:
Returned from France to London via GVA today.

I can absolutely recommend the Chronomics test to return kit. Costs only £22 with BA discount, or £28 normally.

You do the lateral flow test, put result into the website and upload the photo, and a certificate is emailed within literally a few minutes.

thanks for the recommendation, anyone else used Chronomics ?
snow conditions
@richb67, Interesting. I tried the Qured website yesterday but was having difficulty understanding some elements of it. Have just looked at Chronomics based on your recommendation and it seems fine. One question, though. They offer a green list package or an amber list package and it seems like these requirements are out of date - their green package is a return-to-UK antigen test plus a day 2 PCR test while the amber package includes that plus a day 8 PCR test. As double vaccinated I think I only need the former to return from an amber list country, so I plan to purchase a green package even though the flight details will be for an amber list country. Hope that doesn't throw a spanner in the works. Does that make sense?
latest report
For return to UK Lat Flow tests we’ve used C19testing several times (take test, take photo, submit) and they’ve been bob on. £29, next day delivery, certificate back within a couple of hours.
latest report
Just starting to sort out our travel arrangements and return to UK tests. As we have no idea if anything will change in the next 4 weeks before we come home, I'm going to stick with a antigen test from a French pharmacie, and order a day 2 test nearer the time I think.
latest report
@Hells Bells, report in the Telegraph yesterday that said a gov minister told testing companies that the present approach is here for the foreseeable - it seems partly because they want them to keep providing the service.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, and prices keep falling too. And as we know what is said one day changes the next. We weren't locking down on 18th March 2020 and by 23rd the country was at a standstill for several months.
snow report
Well other than the “amber plus” weirdness the current system has been in place since May - I was hoping pressure from Tory backbenchers may have made them move to a system like most of Europe (ie vaccinated people come and go freely) but the “diseased foreigners” rhetoric seems to play well with many people so i suspect testing before and after travel will be here for a while, especially as the summer hols season is pretty much over.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, I had hoped the system was maintained to deter too much overseas travel over the school holidays but might decrease thereafter. However no signals of that. There is no obvious scientific justification.

To guess whether things will change, what we really need to know is how many of those test companies are owned by Tory MPs, or their family/cronies.
ski holidays
j b wrote:
To guess whether things will change, what we really need to know is how many of those test companies are owned by Tory MPs, or their family/cronies.

That's very cynical of you @jb.....

.... but probably accurate. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
j b wrote:
@andy from embsay, I had hoped the system was maintained to deter too much overseas travel over the school holidays but might decrease thereafter. However no signals of that. There is no obvious scientific justification.

You can test anywhere you like.
You can get tests cheaper than we can in Wales & Scotland where ours need to booked throught CTM portal.
No shopping around. No alternatives.
One shop. One test. One price. £68 for a single day 2 test & £136 if you need a day 2 & day 8 test.
latest report
@Alastair Pink, cynical? Moi?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy