Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning French

Poster: A snowHead
I’m currently doing a second job which involves delivering food at weekends whilst we are in Lockdown (sheer boredom and an opportunity to earn some extra money). Obviously this results in a lot of time in and out of the car. I’m thinking of using this time to learn French. Can anyone recommend a good app that I can download and use whilst out delivering? I don’t mind paying for something either, so if you’ve learn French please share your experiences
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was recommended Pimsleur to learn Croatian, they do most languages, it is audio only so no need to look at anything, ideal when driving, it's American so a bit irritating.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
may as well learn something useful like chinese or russian Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Egg wrote:

I presume @Ricklovesthepowder is more likely to be skiing in France than China or Russia? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ricklovesthepowder, I dip in and out of the Coffee Morning Spanish. There is a French version which you might want to look at. Podcasts are free but you can sign up and pay for more stuff if you like.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’d be happy for a decent app to learn Spanish but it has to be offline. Portuguese data package is mean and I would burn through a months data allowance in a week when commuting.

Sorry, to add; this was with Duolingo.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 20-02-21 18:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CaravanSkier, Buenas dias , Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Duolingo. My wife is addicted to it and her French has really improved. It's free and covers more languages than you'll ever be able to hold in your head. Not something to use while driving though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm making an effort to learn Swedish using Babel. Seems pretty good but I doubt you could do anything with it while driving as some of it is screen-based.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rocket French is a good package, and you can stream or download the audio to listen to in the car. Bit cheesy at times but it's worked for me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

I presume @Ricklovesthepowder is more likely to be skiing in France than China or Russia? Madeye-Smiley

Yes exactly!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for the recommendations. I will have a look this weekend. I may as well do something useful with my time Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
prometheus wrote:
@CaravanSkier, Buenas dias , Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas. Very Happy

Morning cuppa now all over laptop! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got on well with the Michel Thomas tapes. My French at the time was what I thought would be passable, but it turns out I was way off the mark. Doing the Thomas tapes gave me a big push forwards. I would say it depends on how much of a base you have in the language though, they’re not for complete beginners I’d suggest.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Italki is great for classes and 1:1 lessons are good value, perhaps better if you are not a complete beginner but there's no monthly commitment so worth checking out.

I went from basic to advanced Spanish using.
snow report
Quote:

may as well learn something useful like chinese or russian

Just a question - what do you mean by "Chinese" Cantonese would be useful in the local restaurant, Manderin in talking to government officials. Manchu would probably not be much use.

Talking about useful languages to learn I came across a teach yourself manx cd once. The only native speaker died years ago so I don't know you you will speak to.

@MikeM, I have also started with Duolingo and I like the way it encourages you to do a bit every day - I'm on about 75 consequtive days now, but still wouldn't say a word in French to a French speaker. It concentrates entirley on the written language. One big disadvantage is that you have to do a two way translation from French to American to English. It took me ages to work out what a "rest room" was.
snow conditions
@Ricklovesthepowder, I admire your desire. I tried to learn French while driving but found I couldn't concentrate enougth. The Duolingo programme is the only one that is working for me.
ski holidays
Friends here told me "apprendre le français sur l'oreiller" Laughing I saw a very nice french woman for 2½ years but after a few months she wanted to speak English all the time Shocked Woman I've been seeing since last summer will only speak french to me although she does criticise me all the time for being crap Laughing But as she speaks English, French and about 5 African languages I guess she's earned the right.
latest report
The most difficult thing I find trying to speak French with any half reasonable ability is that I can't pronounce the French 'r' sound properly. Embarassed I guess it's as hard for most English speakers as correctly pronouncing the English 'th' sound is for most French speakers. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
I’m currently doing a second job which involves delivering food at weekends whilst we are in Lockdown (sheer boredom and an opportunity to earn some extra money). Obviously this results in a lot of time in and out of the car. I’m thinking of using this time to learn French. Can anyone recommend a good app that I can download and use whilst out delivering? I don’t mind paying for something either, so if you’ve learn French please share your experiences

Coffee Break French podcast.

There is a free version - but worth paying for the premium.
snow report
I think the basic stages of learning a language are crap no matter what program you use. There is no magic bullet - from memory, I used a combination of Duolingo and Coffee Break French. There is a youtube channel and podcast called 'Inner French', which is also good.

The sooner you can move onto native content, the better. At that point, you can progress onto integrating language learning into your daily life as it no longer feels like a chore.
ski holidays
JackSkier wrote:
The sooner you can move onto native content, the better.

+1

My German comes just from watching ski races on Eurosport, I should get around to getting a dictionary to be able to look up words I don't understand.
snow report
I’m currently doing a second job which involves delivering food at weekends whilst we are in Lockdown (sheer boredom and an opportunity to earn some extra money).

I can’t help with the languages but I would suggest you make sure your motor insurance covers business travel.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Coffee Break French podcast.

There is a free version - but worth paying for the premium.

As I mentioned earlier. I`ve never bothered to pay for the add on`s (for me it`s the Spanish) I just like to dip in and out when I have time, but I`m interested to hear that paying is worthwhile.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
I guess if you never learned anything, not learning languages which don't exist is pretty easy, but it's a spectacularly stupid thing to say.
Thanks for broadening my experience - I hardly ever meet complete idiots in the real world.

--
On learning French, I like watching French TV, although I'm not sure it's the most efficient way.
ski holidays
Consider also getting audio recording of famous children stories as basic as Three Little Pigs. You don’t have to concentrate on the vocabulary but you will absorb it naturally as you already know what the words mean, pretty much. Or any story that you know really well, from fairy tales to Harry Potter, and beyond.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 20-02-21 19:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I spent a lot of time, especially driving, listening to French version of the Harry Potter stories. You do absorb stuff, and notice more, and understand more, each time you listen. I also greatly enjoyed the Girl in the Pearl Earring - beautifully read (unlike the French Harry Potter books). For most of us, "listening skills" are the hardest to acquire. I like earwigging conversations in shops, too (though no chance of that, at present, obvs). My favourite is (daughter to mother) "il est ou, ton chariot? That's a very French construction.

I enjoy learning French, and currently am part of an excellent U3A French group, led by an ex-languages teacher who speaks very good French (they don't all.....). But I know my limitations - I could never begin to learn to speak Russian, let alone Chinese. That's a pretty daft suggestion.
latest report
I’ve learned Russian but wouldn’t recommend this method unless you already have a good grounding!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had to learn Russian for 1 year at grammar school ('73). Most of us didn't see the point of it, and the teacher was crap. (they had an older teacher, who was very good, but they gave it to the new guy) Sad

Fast forward 20 years and the point became a bit more obvious, but too late rolling eyes

It could have been very useful over the last 30 years or so.

Incidentally, the older guy (who was also my Form Tutor), was in his late 50's, had a Phd, taught History, Fluent in Russian and German. Highly likely the sort of guy who would have worked at Bletchey Park, but we didn't find out about that for another 25 years. Would have loved to have been able to talk about it with him.
snow conditions
@Ricklovesthepowder, I know you said APP but if you can get hold of of a set of tapes from the "Readers Digest".

The best way to learn a language is to listen to the lessons on the way to work in your car.
But .. you could copy them onto your smartphone and play as you drive around on your own able to repeat the phrases without looking or sounding like a French Nutter.

Time well spent, I learnt German like this.
Good luck,

I'm trying to learn to play the piano at the moment, but its not going too well.
Since I got my keyboard at Christmas I have only partly mastered "Twinkle Twinkle"
snow report
If you can find it second-hand, a useful book would be from the old DK Hugo's In Three Months series. I can't vouch for the French one but they're really good (better than teach yourself).
snow report
I can recommend 'Learn French' by Paul Noble - I got it via Audible.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
I’m currently doing a second job which involves delivering food at weekends whilst we are in Lockdown (sheer boredom and an opportunity to earn some extra money).

I can’t help with the languages but I would suggest you make sure your motor insurance covers business travel.

Already covered by the company Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@DrLawn, thanks for the info. I’ve always wanted to play the piano too, but delivering a pizza, whilst driving and playing the piano isn’t going to end well Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:
If you can find it second-hand, a useful book would be from the old DK Hugo's In Three Months series. I can't vouch for the French one but they're really good (better than teach yourself).

That’s what I based learning Dutch around (along with many headache inducing sessions with Mrs DJL). Then moved on to reading kids books.
snow conditions
I subscribe to the free bulletins of the local French-language newspaper/cyberpaper where we have our apartment. They have an app, so I can ignore the notifications if I'm busy. But what this does is force me to read some French every couple of days, which is good practice. Some bulletins I can translate, no probs, which is encouraging. Others are completely incomprehensible because I don't have the vocabulary of colloquial terms and phrases. But then this is good opportunity to build up a knowledge of how locals actually speak about day-to-day issues, rather than what a phrasebook would say.
ski holidays
A good (and free) way to improve your French is simply by having it in the background. If you're doing washing up, ironing or whatever, just have some French audio on. It helps you get your ear around the language, and often you'll unexpectedly hear things you've learned, helping to reinforce it.

Spotify has loads of French playlists if you prefer music, otherwise the RTL app is useful (RTL Belgium used to help me a lot).

Every little helps! Good luck.
snow report
I was chatting to a neighbour this afternoon about another neighbour who mysteriously disappeared. He complemented me on my much improved french which made my day Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

I can recommend 'Learn French' by Paul Noble - I got it via Audible.

I can second that, except I did the Spanish. You don't need to write anything down, it is purely listen, speak, repeat - I had a 30-40 minute commute and it made the dead time useful. I used it to learn spanish for a trip to Cuba, and was very glad I had done. It was quite clever, in that you learnt a very simple sentence, and then added something to it, and then something more, so you ended up being able to say quite complex things, easily.
ski holidays
+1 for Michel Thomas in the car. The system is all about learning to speak, not write, and if you're by yourself in the car you can talk to yourself without feeling like an idiot. Suggest you do the introduction session and first lesson while not driving though, just to get the hang of it. I've done the beginner Spanish and started the beginner Italian, and used the advanced French to refresh my long-ago A-level, and I find them excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy