Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dawn raid on Mont Rogneux

Poster: A snowHead
3rd attempt on Mont Rogneux, https://g.co/kgs/RwnjQM one of the classic ski tours in the area. This time via the Cabane Brunet route, rather than from Bruson. You drive up past Le Châble to a small parking at 1300m just above the village of Lourtier, from where the Route goes via Cabane Marcel Brunet at 2100 and up to the summit at 3084m. With sunny weather and rising temps we wanted to be skiing by 11:00, so an early start was in order!

05:30 start, head torches on

Hmmm track is hard and icy. Lucky we brought crampons

But of course, on the Xenics so something had to go wrong Confused

Struggling through the forest at the back

Wonderful to be out in the dawn solitude

My crampons work says the split boarder

Ice, ice, baby

Knackered

Much easier on the road approaching Cabane Brunet

After a coffee (with 4 sugars) at the hut we headed up for the summit just ahead of the crowds

Our 5 man Covid compliant crew

Enjoying the north facing snow

Glorious views of the Combins

Sunday service at the summit

Nice work boys

http://youtube.com/v/CRUuw9qzWac

Split boy makes it

Let’s ski

Looks good

Confirmed

http://youtube.com/v/A7mC60WUYVE

Solitude

Yes please

Love a shady couloir 10 days after the last snow

Where next

This looks good on a snowboard!

http://youtube.com/v/wnQI3_GbLUY

Corn at the bottom

Top crew, top day!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
very very nice. good work!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:

Don't think you can blame the Xenic's for that !!

Whoever fitted them forgot to install the plates that attach the crampons, you should have spotted that Laughing

Nice day though
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Don't think you can blame the Xenic's for that !!

Whoever fitted them forgot to install the plates that attach the crampons, you should have spotted that Laughing

Nice day though

Crampons are for OAP’s NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
....Crampons are for OAP’s NehNeh

So why did you take them then Laughing

I think it's more to do with those stupid bits of plastic you put under the bindings to help you ski properly NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:

Hey I resemble that remark. Blush (used to avoid using them like the plague until I pushed my luck and slid 100m+ on steep ice)

Great pics and videos. Humble pie often has a crust on it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, I still don't carry them unless on a hut to hut or the route we're taking I know to be stupidly icy, relying on my "superior technique" etc but I'm sure @KenX will be along to tell the story from last season when I ended up nigh on in the pooh rolling eyes

Or if you do carry them, literally and don't put them on right at the start, you still end up in the pooh as by the time you decide maybe it's wise to use them, it's invariably too late Laughing

Anyway major thread drift from a good day's outing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice write up!

90% of the time you can get away without ski crampons. The problem is that the other 10% of time they are essential!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Hey I resemble that remark. Blush (used to avoid using them like the plague until I pushed my luck and slid 100m+ on steep ice)

Great pics and videos. Humble pie often has a crust on it. Toofy Grin

Only joking. I wasted a 5h1t ton of energy sliding around without them and the last pitch to the top was steep, rock hard and exposed. Inching along trying to engage the edges I was cursing not having checked equipment up front. Schoolboy error...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
Or if you do carry them, literally and don't put them on right at the start, you still end up in the pooh as by the time you decide maybe it's wise to use them, it's invariably too late Laughing

To cut the story and thread drift short.
Ski touring mate put his harscheisen on and I said "it should be OK without" it got tricky and then was too late/steep.
It was foggy so few saw my slid. Touring mate couldn't work out why I was well ahead of him on the way up only to finish behind him.
Reverse logic here in east Austria, I take them unless I know it is going to soft and fluffy.

Also lost a ski above 4000m in the monte rosa trying to cut an edge in the ice/hard snow with my wide touring skis, the wide the ski the earlier I Need crampons. I'd taken the crampons with me to Switzerland but the guide said I wouldn't need them - all credit to him though, he skied down approx 200m and recovered the ski.

@Bobinch - how did it go for time?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 22-02-21 8:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:

@Bobinch - how did it go for time?

Pretty good

I paused the Strava on the breaks on the way up and took a screenshot at the top - 3:53 to the summit
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
450+ m/h (approx. 365 inc. stops) on the way up is a great pace, esp. at that altitude and if you are sometimes doing the moonwalk without crampons on the way up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
450+ m/h (approx. 365 inc. stops) on the way up is a great pace.

We stopped for about 30mins at the hut and I waited about 45 mins for my split board mate at the summit. Reckon I could do it in 3hrs 30mins with crampons / not icy track. Good training for the Haute Route. Searching out some new routes to make the most of this warm weather. This one looks interesting!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, very nice!

Did you have to ski back down that icey path of death or was there a way down through the trees?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, also good prep for if I get to do a tour with @Weathercam this season. Should have enough gas in the tank to burn him off if his chat gets too boring Very Happy
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
We stopped for about 30mins at the hut and I waited about 45 mins for my split board mate at the summit. Reckon I could do it in 3hrs 30mins with crampons / not icy track. Good training for the Haute Route. Searching out some new routes to make the most of this warm weather.

Is the haute route still a possibility for you this year?

BobinCH wrote:
This one looks interesting!

Looks awesome, that guy was really moving fast .

BobinCH wrote:
@DB, also good prep for if I get to do a tour with @Weathercam this season. Should have enough gas in the tank to burn him off if his chat gets too boring Very Happy

That could be his shortest TR yet. Toofy Grin wink
latest report
Great TR Bob, thanks for sharing
snow conditions
Very jealous of your splitboarding mate’s setup. Great report - thanks Happy
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
@BobinCH, very nice!

Did you have to ski back down that icey path of death or was there a way down through the trees?

Below the cabane we skied mainly down the road so easy. In good snow you can ski powder fields most of the way down but under 1800m the snow suffered from the rain a couple of week back
ski holidays
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
We stopped for about 30mins at the hut and I waited about 45 mins for my split board mate at the summit. Reckon I could do it in 3hrs 30mins with crampons / not icy track. Good training for the Haute Route. Searching out some new routes to make the most of this warm weather.

Is the haute route still a possibility for you this year?

Oh yes Haute Route is on. The cabane Brunet was full of overnight guests without a face mask in sight Skullie

Talk of restrictions being eased in CH so we should be good by end April unless there is a major uptick in cases in the interim
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy