Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If it had to be France at half term 2022.....

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve been trying my damndest to find somewhere that suits for half term 2022 (we’re the second week from 19th-26th).

I have spend HOURS over several days researching different resorts in Austria, Italy and Scandinavia, but they all fall down in one area that France tends to excel at, and that is decent sized self catering accommodation for a 3 generation family of 6 people. We normally book a 4 double bedroom chalet with decent living room size, but trying to find that outside of a France is like chasing rainbows....

So, if you absolutely HAD to book somewhere in France that wasn’t horribly busy on the slopes, where would that be? Am I right in thinking that one of the resorts that links with Italy (e.g. La Ros) would be OK?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 French zones including Paris plus UK that week. I don’t think you will find a French resort that wasn’t horribly busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DJL wrote:
2 French zones including Paris plus UK that week. I don’t think you will find a French resort that wasn’t horribly busy.

Maybe I should reframe the question as to which would be the least worst?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck Timmycb5, You are planning to go on the 3rd week of half term to France when both areas C, which includes Paris and A which includes the main alpine local areas are on holiday. It will probabbly be one of the busiest weeks of the year.

May I suggest you redouble your search to especially to Italy which doesn't have a half term. Try Alleghe in the Dolomites. I seem to recall from summer visits that there are self catering apartments there. I'm not sure if any bookings will be open yet for 12 months away
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My son found a good apartment in Madonna di Campiglio the season before last - took a lot of research, but he's good at that. It's much too early to give up - all depends on your priorities, but personally I'd live with a smaller bedroom and sitting room to avoid long lift queues and crowded slopes. But then I'm used to living in my own (small) apartment in the Alps, and on small boats. I just can't bear lift queues - I'd really prefer not to bother. If I HAD to go to France in a busy half term week I'd put the whole family into ski school to get lift priority and ski with someone who knows exactly where to go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We booked this place for last Easter (obviously never actually managed to stay there!!!)

But looked nice

https://www.chaletalpina.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
We booked this place for last Easter (obviously never actually managed to stay there!!!)

But looked nice

https://www.chaletalpina.com/
Ive heard of that place before but totally forgot about it! Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stay at www.Mareo.it in Italy. Several good quality self catering apartments within the building. Very easy walking distance to nearest lift (under 100mtrs) and two minute walk into town.
Disadvantages : not an easy transfer (we hire a car and drive from Munich / Milan / Verona / Innsbruck)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:
DJL wrote:

The answer to that is the FR resort with the most efficient lift system twinned with becoming an earlier riser to get out there before the 9am ESF Le Mans-style running start.
Don’t lunch at lunchtime and/or take packed lunches/picnics.
All the FR resorts will be packed but the efficient ones will push numbers up the hill and dissipate crowds more quickly (turning what would have been 10yrs ago an hour queue into just 45 minutes).
Good luck
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grinning wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
DJL wrote:

The answer to that is the FR resort with the most efficient lift system twinned with becoming an earlier riser to get out there before the 9am ESF Le Mans-style running start.
Don’t lunch at lunchtime and/or take packed lunches/picnics.
All the FR resorts will be packed but the efficient ones will push numbers up the hill and dissipate crowds more quickly (turning what would have been 10yrs ago an hour queue into just 45 minutes).
Good luck

That’s good advice. Coffee stop at 11.00, ski until 13.45, late lunch.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grinning wrote:
...the 9am ESF Le Mans-style running start.

Oh now I want to see that! Sunday, lesson #1 on snow skis get placed on one side of green slope/wanna-be skiers line up on the other. Instructor drops the flag/ski pole and, well everyone watching pisses themselves laughing Smile

To the point, yep you're basically looking at skiing in France if you want the large, private self-catered (or even catered) chalet as it's just not the way they tend to do things in Italy or Austria (don't know about Spain/Andora). Don't know what but Italy/Austria are much more about hotels and B&Bs.

As it's France the where really means somewhere really big, or really small. If a "ski holiday" is more about the "holiday" than the "ski" somewhere small would work, and often get skipped over by others are they don't have 200,000KM of linked runs (no buses) so can be quieter. If it's the other way around though then go somewhere big. Yes it will be busy and there will be some bottlenecks and queues but at least there a lot of mountain for you all to spread out over!

For a specific suggestion you could check out the Portes du Soleil. As it's where the company I go with are based I normally stay in Morzine, which can be a pain during the morning/lunch/afternoon rushes. For a group of comitted skiiers and some young beginners I'd be tempted to look around Chatel/the Swiss side. There are a lot of long drag lifts in this corner which means many people take one look at the map and just write it off - to the point you can still find untracked side piste days after the last snow and even be making 3rd/4th tracks on piste mid week around La Chapelle d'Abondance (peak season, though maybe not half term week).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
For a group of comitted skiiers and some young beginners I'd be tempted to look around Chatel/the Swiss side. There are a lot of long drag lifts in this corner which means many people take one look at the map and just write it off - to the point you can still find untracked side piste days after the last snow and even be making 3rd/4th tracks on piste mid week around La Chapelle d'Abondance (peak season, though maybe not half term week).

Oi! Don't tell everyone. Everyone knows Avoriaz is higher so has best snow, and Morzine has more life in the village wink

Drag lifts only really Torgon / Super Chatel / Morgins Corbeau
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timmycb5, what's so difficult about finding this in Austria? As a quick example, see https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/Requery?CX=10&IX=10&AR=1&CM=0&CP=0&PF=0&RA=2&LG=0&ID=216502&FL=100&FL=100 which is the result of a search for 8 adults. Almost all in the range 100-200sqm, and some of them are exceptional. Location is varied, as you'd expect - some are out on a limb, while some are either fairly central or well served by ski buses.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ousekjarr wrote:
@Timmycb5, what's so difficult about finding this in Austria? As a quick example, see https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/Requery?CX=10&IX=10&AR=1&CM=0&CP=0&PF=0&RA=2&LG=0&ID=216502&FL=100&FL=100 which is the result of a search for 8 adults. Almost all in the range 100-200sqm, and some of them are exceptional. Location is varied, as you'd expect - some are out on a limb, while some are either fairly central or well served by ski buses.

I forgot to mention that I didn't want to remortgage my house.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think there is a least worst. I think the least worst is to accept it's going to be busy and as the guys say manage your time, routes, etc. to avoid the worst. Also managing in terms of getting in and out of resort.
snow report
Ah, so you want 4 double bedrooms for a total of 6 people, and a large living area, but you want it for less than €400 per person? Have you considered Bulgaria or Romania? wink

Hint: the lowest price on the search I linked to was €2408 for 130sqm and sleeping 8... yes, it goes up to €8K, but you don't have to select that one and the site has filtering functionality built in.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
Ah, so you want 4 double bedrooms for a total of 6 people, and a large living area, but you want it for less than €400 per person? Have you considered Bulgaria or Romania? wink

Hint: the lowest price on the search I linked to was €2408 for 130sqm and sleeping 8... yes, it goes up to €8K, but you don't have to select that one and the site has filtering functionality built in.

Believe it or not I'm used to staying in a high end 4 double bedroom chalet in the French Alps within walking distance to the slopes/shops, that even in half term only costs €3,500. The one in Austria seem insanely expensive in comparison.
snow conditions
DJL wrote:

Yea and give you some lovelly skiing if you just accept the drag.

Just don't make the schoolboy error of deciding to ski from Chatel to La Catelle and skiin down into the Plan de Croix bowl, rather than waiting for the bus... Ski down under a lovelly chair lift, then a 1km drag back out towards La Catelle Shocked Even on skis that was a a cramp inducer!
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
DJL wrote:

Yea and give you some lovelly skiing if you just accept the drag.

Just don't make the schoolboy error of deciding to ski from Chatel to La Catelle and skiin down into the Plan de Croix bowl, rather than waiting for the bus... Ski down under a lovelly chair lift, then a 1km drag back out towards La Catelle Shocked Even on skis that was a a cramp inducer!

Nah, its just a gentle drag lift, we do it a couple of times every trip.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:

Believe it or not I'm used to staying in a high end 4 double bedroom chalet in the French Alps within walking distance to the slopes/shops, that even in half term only costs €3,500. The one in Austria seem insanely expensive in comparison.

Sounds like you know where to go. Why don't you just book it? Puzzled
snow report
luigi wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Sounds like you know where to go. Why don't you just book it? Puzzled

Because that resort gets horrendously busy at half term. I’m talking hour long lift queues.
latest report
Have a look at Sunweb as they not only do majority self catering accommodation, there are lots of non-French options on there usually although you might find lots are not priced up for next season.
snow conditions
Have you looked at Val Cenis?
ski holidays
For example https://en.ski-france.com/ski-area-val-cenis-vanoise/val-cenis/balcons-Val-cenis-Village-b/ has apartment in size up to 16pax with enough separate bedrooms.
snow conditions
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm curious where @Timmycb5 ended up going?
snow conditions
@Handy Turnip, Montgenevre.

It was a good shout for that week as it wasn’t anywhere near as busy as I’ve experienced on the same weeks in the northern French Alps.
latest report
Thanks @Timmycb5, good to know - I have a similar dilemma for 2024
latest report
@Handy Turnip, I’d definitely go again if iI had to go at half term again.

I’m going back to Les Gets again this year as I’m not restricted to half term. Make of that what you will!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Timmycb5,

I am in the same position as you and we’re aiming for Montgenèvre in February 2023. I specifically chose the resort as I perceived it to be quieter than the resorts accessed from Geneva, with Turin being the default airport, which has a much lower frequency of flights from Uk when compared to Geneva . I also chose it due to the perceived gentle slopes suited for early intermediate.

I’d be interested to understand any restaurant recommendations? Are there places to buy ready meals etc?

Were any of the apres ski activities worthwhile ? We are considering a half day viewing Briancon.

Thanks in advance
latest report
@Trickydicky, It’s defo quieter than the northern resorts, and you can pretty much get around most of Montgenevre on greens and blues, so ideal to get miles under you belt as an early intermediate. You can even get on some of the undulating reds at the upper part of the mountain if you pick your line according to your ability.

As for food, we tended to eat a cheap lunch at the cafe in the debutant zone at the bottom of the hill. There’s plenty of take away pizza joints in town for a take away meal in the evening.

Didn’t really do any apres, but I can’t imagine it’s very wild. It’s a fairly quiet family resort. If you like a beer on the mountain then I can thoroughly recommend a pint of Afli* on Les Terraces in the sun.

*if you like 6/7% beer that is Laughing
snow report
@Handy Turnip, if it’s any use, the only English/French half term we’ve been away for was to Valmeinier and it wasn’t too bad at all. I’m not sure what French region half term weeks it clashed with though.

We’ve had a better time staying in/near Schladming at half term though. Done a mixture of self catering and hotels. The best self catering we did there was to a very nice chalet next to the slopes at Rohrmoos that was very reasonably priced.
ski holidays
When in France, go to the Maurienne or further south.

My tip, Valmeinier. We went there in the busiest week of the season, it was a revelation, wait 4-6 chairs, max 10 minutes on Sunday. Ski in ski out, but on a human scale, and quite some people live there year round. No comparison to ValTho etc.
Very nice skiing area, good quality food, nice people, not your typical nosy season site.

Even better is Piemonte. Italy does not have school holidays in February. Dolomites is busy because of German school holidays, Piemonte not.
Bardonecchia, Sauze, Pila, La Thuile, Champoluc, Madesimo.
snow report
@Onnem, hmmm that is good to know. Forgot about German holidays impacting Italy
latest report
Thanks @Onnem, @hammerite really interesting to know! Before the suggestion of Montgenvre, the resort at the top of my list was actually Valloire - sounds like that could still be an option (is Valmeinier a better base?).

I'll be doing the research on all places suggested!
snow report
@Handy Turnip, Much prefer Valloire as an option for that domaine. Proper small town, two different areas to ski and some lovely long runs to get to Valmeinier. In my experience ( 4 different trips over the years first to Valmeinier subsequent trips to Valloire) Valloire tends to hold it's snow for longer. On our first visit - one hot late Easter - Valmeinier closed it's skiing and we ended up driving round to Valloire every day.
ski holidays
I don’t really understand the issue here, we are a family of 6 who ski at least twice a year and have not had any problem finding 4 bedroom self-catering accommodation. We go to Switzerland more often than not but also to Italy a lot and sometimes Austria. There are quite a few sites to search for accommodation which are easy to google, but it is also worthwhile emailing the local tourist office with your requirements.

As an aside I am always amazed how France focused most British skiers seem to be! I have experienced the French half-term madness (thanks fully before we had kids). Never again.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:

As an aside I am always amazed how France focused most British skiers seem to be! I have experienced the French half-term madness (thanks fully before we had kids). Never again.

It's a one off half term trip for us, due to daughter's GCSEs, and I'm looking forward to going back to our family Easter trips the following year.

I'm not 100% tied to France and am also looking at Italian options (I believe fasching clashes with half term in 2024) - but my daughter is taking GCSE French, so there is a certain appeal in going to a less mainstream French resort.
ski holidays
Thanks @snowlamb, Valloire currently top of the list at the moment - looks like it has lots of long cruisy runs, another milage for intermediates, a easy snow park close by, and decent self-catering apartments
snow report
Hit the lifts at 9am sharp and get away from the crowds - take an early lunch and ski between 12.30 & 2.00 head home early or by a round about route and you'd hardly notice its busy.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, agree that Valloire is the nicer of the two to stay in. Valloire is a pleasant little town. Valmeinier doesn’t have a lot going on.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy