Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Struggling to decide which resort...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Nunny22 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your response

May I ask where you stayed in Avoriaz?

Seems to be a minefield as to where is good to stay etc.

Also, did you have a god experience with the ski schools?

Mike.

Amara in Avoriaz is great. Pricey, yes, but it's right next to the beginner areas, has it's own underground car park, pool and spa and is a short walk into the town. Very good when you've got young kids in tow, there's even a ski hire shop below so you don't have to go far to get yourselves sorted on that front.

I've been to lots of resorts with our kids (now 15,12 and 8, but they've all been skiing since they were 2) and I can totally see why a ski-in, ski-out would appeal to you, as it's much more convenient.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nunny22 wrote:
Hi all,

I want to take the family skiing in the Feb half term next year and I'm really struggling to choose the correct resort. I've narrowed it down to the following.. But would welcome any help on advice as to where would be best.

This list is not exhaustive and would 100 percent be open to other countries. The main thing is the kids enjoy it and it has a nice ski village feel.

Avoriaz
La Plagne
Les Deux Alpes
Arinsal
Val Thorens

Wenare a family of 4, with my wife and kids complete beginners, we will get some indoor lessons before we travel but ultimately, they will be new to it. Kids aged 5 and 8.

Ideally we want ski to door and acommodation close to Ski School to make it easier in te mornings to get everyone there.

Not keen on taking busses to the slopes and nice food and atmosphere is ideally required.

Also other things to do with the kids would be good.

Thanks in advance.

We do the family skiing thing - self catering, though we have done the chalet/TO previously. you have to know your kids and what they like. Wih our kids given their age we know that a whole day of ski school or even a half day followed by an afternoon skiing with us just wont cut it. Apres skiing? Again no interest (though they were very interested by the topless people standing on tables at Le Ski Lodge in La Tania one year.....). Anyway what we found was that they liked going for a swim after skiing; sledding (an not necessaily on an Olympic Course), building snowmen etc. Being in the snow was fun.

The resort we found best suited them was TIgnes. Tignes Le Lac has Le Logoon with water slides etc; tubing, a small hill for sledding ad the Palafour run, Tignes Space with trampolines and rock climbing walls). Actually quite a bit to do when not skiing. Its runs back into the village are manageable. The village is flat and largely all on one level and not too spaced out so you can get from place to place. We hired a nanny and that allowed us to ski and then on the last day we offered them the afternoon of skiing - great times. We went at Feb half term and they weather was great and the crowds way beter than I expected. Its a big resort so once people clear the village they spread out. Yes you get the odd lift q, but its fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy