Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl - family accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
I've been started to plan out Easter 2022 family ski trip, and as always have been looking at the usual suspects in France i.e. snowsure resorts with a bit of height, especially as Easter school hols are a little later than the last few years.

However, a family member commented 'why France, why not Austria?' - which is a fair question. So having done a bit of research, I came to the conclusion that Hochgurgl looked like a good family resort with lots of blues, and was snowsure for Easter. However, when I started looking for a nice family apartment.. I couldn't find any? Lots of hotels though. Is this the norm. I've skied Austria before but only as a couple so automatically just stayed in a hotel. So I just wondered where families normally stay, and how do they work the rooms if it's a hotel (for say a family of 5 - 3 adults and 2 children)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl is fine for blues too and it's only 15 mins across to Hochgurgl on the bubble and there's regular free buses between the two too.

I think the ski schools are better Obergurgl side too. There are a few Pensions but it is mainly hotels.

The Otzal site is pretty good for looking up accommodation https://www.obergurgl.com/summer/online-booking-portal/search-book-accommodations.html

Can be a bit slushy at the bottom of both by 3pm on a warm day late season but all the best blue runs are up top anyway
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @ol_smokey, that's a really useful site! That's a lot more like what I had in mind. I need to have a bit of a play with the options - good size apartments with all the right facilities, at first glance they look a bit more expensive than an Airbnb in france (with an extra bedroom), but I've only started looking so I'm sure there is come value to be found!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup Obergurgl isn't a cheap resort, think 3V prices
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ol_smokey, ironically my comparison is against a Val Thorens 3 bedroom Airbnb. I think the Obergurgl pension apartments are probably more consistently priced, whereas Airbnb seem to have a wide range of prices for a wide range of quality, and consequently if you're savvy enough you can pick up a great apartment for a good price (and conversely if you're too late, you'll pay a fortune for something quite poor).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be surprised if there's anything approaching scabby in Obergurgl, I suspect there will be a lot less variation in quality just levels of luxury. We have always stay in hotels in Obergurgl as there are only 2 of us for the spring trip and we don't mid being waited on Cool so can't speak from personal experience of the apartments but every hotel, hut or shop we ever have been in in resort has always been very clean and tidy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ol_smokey, I can believe that, and looking at the apartments on the site you linked, they all look really nice so definitely no complaints there.

And to be fair the 'poor' apartments I reference in VT are more down to value for money rather than cleanliness i.e. for the same money, what buys you a 3 bedroom 60m2 apartment 8mths in advance, may only get you a 1 bedroom 30m2 apartment if you leave it too late.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Handy Turnip, we stayed here a few years ago with two children under 8. Quite expensive but really nice spec and right next to ski lift.

https://www.gletscherblick-gurgl.com/en
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers @Matrix, they look very nice!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've stayed here a few times - superb and right on the piste

https://www.hotelalpina.com/en/hotel/skiing-tyrol-oetztal.html

I'd advise getting on their mailing list as they sometimes send through offers; check out the accommdation grading rooms as a slight change in room can sometimes lead to a big diffrence in price.

Agree with the comment that Obergurgl is proabably the better ski school; the lift pass also gives a free days skiing in Soelden down the valley. And the 9in)famous Nederhutte https://www.nederhuette.at/en/

TBH you can't really go wrong anyhwere in Obergurgl and pretty much guaranteed snow - the hotels sometimes offer you a choice of room above 2000m or below 2000m!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ptex wrote:
We've stayed here a few times - superb and right on the piste

https://www.hotelalpina.com/en/hotel/skiing-tyrol-oetztal.html

I'd advise getting on their mailing list as they sometimes send through offers; check out the accommdation grading rooms as a slight change in room can sometimes lead to a big diffrence in price.

Agree with the comment that Obergurgl is proabably the better ski school; the lift pass also gives a free days skiing in Soelden down the valley. And the 9in)famous Nederhutte https://www.nederhuette.at/en/

TBH you can't really go wrong anyhwere in Obergurgl and pretty much guaranteed snow - the hotels sometimes offer you a choice of room above 2000m or below 2000m!

The lift pass now includes full Solden access. Went twice in 2019. Quick bus.

Other plus about Obergurgl is zero queues, honestly. (Ok, maybe a minute or two at Untergurgl gondola occasionally)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting about the lift pass - we never checked the last time we went. TBH, the vibe we found very different on our visits to Sölden and liked the lack of queuing in Obergurgl-Hochgurgl, so tended to stay there.

Fun to do the three peaks, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been there with Crystal (Hotel Austria) so can't advise on apartments but the area was perfect for family skiing.
Easy and free access to Solden provides glacier skiing. Not a bad thing for Easter.
We also used it for skiing at lower altitudes in snowy days with whiteout in Obergurgl.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
drporat wrote:
Been there with Crystal (Hotel Austria) so can't advise on apartments but the area was perfect for family skiing.
Easy and free access to Solden provides glacier skiing. Not a bad thing for Easter.
We also used it for skiing at lower altitudes in snowy days with whiteout in Obergurgl.

The Solden glaciers I found rather dull. And it's 5 lifts to get there with one solitary easy run to ski on the way.

Snow still looking great in Obergurgl right now at end of April - aspect and height of Obergurgl slopes excellent
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@buchanan101, they are rather dull. Short easy parallel reds and some blue pistes. But the whole area is a good add-on for a week in Obergurgl. The wide pistes are also good for beginners/early intermediates.
BTW, I had whiteout days in Obergurgl in December while the glaciers' webcam made us take the bus and enjoy that area.
And I'm ready to spend time on lifts getting me to the peak so I can enjoy a loong loong descent, Austria and France. So it was worth getting up there and returning by skis to the village.
Damn, I once waited more than an hour in the sun to get to the Aiguille Rouge. But then you have the descent to Villaroger.
latest report
A few years back my son & I stayed here;

Appartement Pillerhof
+43 5256 6558
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZTyvAyU3UEjx5jFCA

Just across the road from the gondola which takes you up to Hochgurgl and by a bus stop. It was simple, clean and reasonably priced. If you have a car it's a couple of minutes drive to obergurgl village. Solden is about 10 minutes away. We rented a ski locker which made life even easier.
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@buchanan101, they are rather dull. Short easy parallel reds and some blue pistes. But the whole area is a good add-on for a week in Obergurgl. The wide pistes are also good for beginners/early intermediates.
BTW, I had whiteout days in Obergurgl in December while the glaciers' webcam made us take the bus and enjoy that area.
And I'm ready to spend time on lifts getting me to the peak so I can enjoy a loong loong descent, Austria and France. So it was worth getting up there and returning by skis to the village.
Damn, I once waited more than an hour in the sun to get to the Aiguille Rouge. But then you have the descent to Villaroger.

Not sure it's that great a run back from the top of the Solden glaciers to the village as I think you need the ski route road, which is OK, but..

Obergurgl (rather, Hochgurgl) gives a great non stop 1300m+ descent from the top of the Wormkogel to Untergurgl and only needs 2 lifts...

(Solden - I did like the area above Gigijoch - just one huge wide run, undulating and so many routes down)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy