Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Needed - Reluctant Partner

Poster: A snowHead
Another thing, if you manage to set things up (kids in lessons or childcare) so the two of you end up skiing together for a while: don't forget how much concentration and adrenaline is involved in skiing for a beginner. Two blues to get you gently and slowly to a nice coffee stop (ideally checked out by you in advance) will feel like an amazing adventure and hopefully an incentive to try more.

And if you want to know more about a possible resort ask here. There are people who have been to every resort you have ever heard of, as well as a lot you haven't.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It sounds like my ex. I'd get rid of her.

Failing that, private lessons and let some one else take the strain for a few hours. If she doesn't click with an instructor change them immediately. And be prepared to do everything else for her and the kids the rest of the time so she get's a holiday and the hell of skiing is minor part of the trip. Make the absolute most of any sunshine even if that means cutting ski days short or taking extra long lunches. The trick is balancing being really nice with making sure she gets the miles she needs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Two blues to get you gently and slowly to a nice coffee stop (ideally checked out by you in advance)

If you have a reluctant beginner, don't take her anywhere she's not skied with her instructor. However simple you think it is, and however nice the coffee shop. Or it'll be All Your Fault.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, wise words
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaForet wrote:
@Roguevfr Have you considered reversing the focus? i.e. staying somewhere that's a spa location first with you driving off to ski surrounding resorts each day? My usual example here is somewhere like the Bains de Saillon in the Swiss Valais (not a hyper-exclusive mountain spa, but more 'mainstream' family-type thermal resort, located down in the valley). The nearby rail station is on the line to Sion, Martigny, Lausanne, Montreux, Chillon and Geneva, so there's a wide variety of cultural, tourist and shopping excursions.

Nope. Thats absolutely certain to be the worst of both worlds . Immediate and easy access to the skiing is necessary to get her skiing at all. Stuffing gear into a car and driving to the resort would simply be "not done".. too much faff. So, hassle for both, then hassle for me, while she simply stays at the spa.

Nah.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How's about something winter wonderlandy where skiing can be done - lapland? Loads for the kids, loads of other activities (dog sledding and stuff), usually great wellness, potential northern lights? But also excellent instructors, easy tree lined slopes... 'beach and cocktails' probably isn't the full picture of what your girlfriend likes so maybe she likes other nice things and fun and romance... wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Or it'll be All Your Fault.

You are right of course.

I am just one of those unempathic males who fails to see it coming ....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about going to a place she might enjoy, is insanely pretty, where you can meet up for lunch up the mountain... and she wont have to do what she doesn't seem to want... unless she wants to after all.

A place where one can get up the mountain staying nice and warm... without having to use a cold ski lift.

Does such a weird place exist? Wengen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending on how she is in herself, consider not going with another family. Fewer variables and less competition is easier. Easter is great as it can be really warm. Smaller, satellite villages can be nicer than the main ones as they're really chilled out. Oz en Oisans for instance is car free and family friendly or Les Coches/Montalbert in Paradiski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seen this before, a lot of people seem to be making assumptions about the woman, even about women in general.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bezthespaniard, brilliant advice from the snowHeads collective already. A real 360 degree view I think.

Now, apart from the ‘beach and cocktails’ bit, I don’t think we know much about your perception of what your other half is like and, maybe, what other things she likes to do and/or doesn’t like.

For example:
1. How is she with passing the care of your children over to qualified others for chunks of the day?
2. Do you think that she’s confident that your kids would be happy with that and probably enjoy the mountains and a go at skiing themselves?

3. How active is she... walking? swimming? jogging? any other sports past or present?

4. Does she enjoy wide open spaces, scenery, hills, mountains?

5. What other things apart from what you’ve told us does she like?
Where does she like to be? Who with? Doing what?

6. Any places, things or activities she dislikes or hates?

I think honest answers to these sort of questions would help advice on how best to go about this...
(or maybe even drop the idea for now....which whilst disappointing might be better than a miserable week).

Also, where and when might increase your chances of a successful outcome for all.... followed by a shout of ‘again...again’.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne,
Quote:

Seen this before, a lot of people seem to be making assumptions about the woman, even about w

Very Happy Yeahhh....some things never really change.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to a Kinderhotel. They are a chain that make things much, much easier for families. They are normally 4 to 5 star hotels with fabulous facilities for both adults and children.

The atmosphere is great, the food is great (and normally all inclusive), the facilities are great...pools, spas, climbing walls, stables, kids clubs, babysitting etc.

Mrs H does not ski but is perfectly happy as she reads a book, has a glass of wine, uses the spa etc whilst I am out with the kids (and yes, the advice about not skiing too much is true as I become a sherpa for them ensuring that they get to their lessons etc). Mrs H is usually persuaded up to the top of the mountain once a week for lunch in a restaurant which I think she enjoys (although she doesn't like the cable cars!)

We've been to two of their hotels twice...Achenkirch and Buchau in the Tyrol inAustria. They are both close to each other on the Achensee about 30 minutes drive from Innsbruck.

My kids are older now so no longer require all the entertainment that Kinderhotels provide but they were a brilliant way to introduce young kids to skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
codyaitch wrote:
Chances are, the OH is on other forums seeking advice on how to persuade an obsessive skier to spend the family holiday in hot climes, on a sandy beach.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You just need to ask yourself how you'd feel if pressured into, say, an equestrian holiday. Imagine that you hate large animals, know you can't ride, know that it's possible to have a serious injury riding a horse, and just can't see why people like it so much. Your partner is keen to spend a week riding bridle paths across rugged scenery, in possibly pretty bad weather. No amount of 'You'll like it if you try it.' and 'I'm sure we can work it out.' is going to change your attitude and 'OK, you can travel with the support vehicles and stay at the ranches en route.' is going to come across as pretty much 'I've decided, against your wishes, that we're going to do this and drag you along in spite of your objections because it's what I Want'.

I'm not saying don't organise a winter holiday for you all. Just that you should try and discuss it with her with the above point of view in mind, transposed to skiing. Then I'm sure you'll find something that blends all the preferences together in as rewarding a way as possible.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 19-02-21 11:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Two blues to get you gently and slowly to a nice coffee stop (ideally checked out by you in advance)

If you have a reluctant beginner, don't take her anywhere she's not skied with her instructor. However simple you think it is, and however nice the coffee shop. Or it'll be All Your Fault.

First time I skied with my wife after her lesson we did exactly this, though it was a run she had done with her instructor that morning. It was still all my fault!
snow conditions
Oh wow. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Going to read them tonight.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

First time I skied with my wife after her lesson we did exactly this, though it was a run she had done with her instructor that morning. It was still all my fault!

Same. Thing is, the instructors know all the little tricks... a flat shortcut here, avoid that steep/icy bit there, and they do a bloody good job of distracting their pupils. The temptation is to bring up the rear so you can sweep up your wife like the gallant hero, but all you’re doing is making them look at the entire slope and pick their own line which can be daunting. Much better to go first, pick the easiest line with lots of stops, and be prepared to duck walk/side step up the hill if they need help!
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard,
Quote:

Oh wow. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Going to read them tonight.

This thread shows why I love the snowHeads forum. From well thought out overarching views of the issue; to specific recommendations for favourite resorts; to advice on likely pitfalls to avoid; to quotes like 'sounds like my ex. I'd get rid of her'. Very Happy

The full gamut, the whole nine yards. Priceless. Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
ive not read the full thread so dont shhot me if I have this all wrong but it is going to be HARD work, firstly completely forget about you getting any skiing done on this "holiday", just get a boys weekend lined up for your skiing fix.
if she is a Beach & cocktails type of girl as you discribe then I am assuming that comes with perfectly manicured nails, those & putting on ski boots do not mix well, remember to your begining, putting on boots is hard work at first (still is if you are old) walking in them is difficult never mind walking on them on ice/snow. Do not even think about adding in the "can you carry your skis as I have the kids"
RENT A LOCKER AS CLOSE TO WHERE THEY WILL BE SETTING OFF FROM AS POSSIBLE.
I have invested thousands trying to get mine to like it, I have gave up. I compromise by finishing/starting early/late most days & look at forecast to chose the non skiing day.
latest report
Quote:

look at forecast to chose the non skiing day.

So you and your partner can go and have a nice lunch somewhere with zero vis and winds too high to run the lifts? Toofy Grin
snow report
Just to even things up a bit - it's not just women. I came across a chap who, despite favourable omens, really couldn't take to skiing. He and his wife (who did) were friends of my sister and brother in law. I'd sailed with C - he was an ex Royal Marine, navy diver, good engineer, had trained in Norway with the marines. A great guy to have on a boat, never got sick, could cook up something hot and tasty in a seaway, could tell immediately from the engine note is something wasn't quite right. But totally clueless about sailing - just couldn't get the hang of the relationship between where the wind was coming from, where the sails had to be, where the boat was pointed and where it was going. But when I told him how to rig up a spinnaker, what lines went where, he only needed to be told once (just don't expect him to do any trimming....). They all came to stay at our French place and I fixed up some private lessons with an instructor I knew. C fell awkardly on a big lump (you couldn't really call it a mogul) and badly hurt his knee, and was out for the rest of the week (though he was terrific on crutches, leaping around the observation platforms up on the Aiguille du Midi). He was keen to try again, the following year, had a few lessons, and I skied with him, infinitely patiently (if I say so myself) but he just couldn't get the hang of it. He was the opposite of a "natural" - it was painful waste of time for him. He loves mountains and the outdoors, can yomp up Munros with the best of them, is tough and resilient. He just can't ski. Or sail. He is a good engineer, coped fine with all the technical and physical challenges of becoming a very highly qualified diver (worked on Nigerian oil rigs for a bit after leaving the Navy) but for skiing, his brain is wired wrong, somehow. I've never danced with him, but I suspect he can't do that, either. His wife paid attention to the instructor and thought hard, and was fine.
snow conditions
Quote:

Just to even things up a bit - it's not just women.

I don't think anyone is suggesting women are worse skiers than men or struggle to learn as quickly.

I've been out with couples where the guy is a fairly good skier and trying to encourage a reluctant partner to push their boundaries a bit and it's always been an absolute nightmare. I don't blame the woman for this, it's completely the guys fault trying to force them into doing something they don't want. Interestingly I've seen this play out even when the woman is technically much better than their partner but just lacks confidence or is perhaps a lot more scared/risk averse. Men tend to have the opposite problem of overestimating their abilities.

Funny about the equestrian example. I've worked in a hiking area where horse riding is also popular. 9 times out of 10 the female half of the couple is really excited about horse riding and the guy is kind of forced into it. My favourite was hiking past a woman and her guide on horses with big smiles on their faces to 10mins later come across a guy on her own that turns out to be her partner who is so fed up he's got off the horse and is walking it back. However in the same place it tends to be the guys that are more into hiking and kind of forcing the females to do multi day camping trips.

Of course there are exceptions, but I've seen enough to feel like these generalisations are more often true. Which is why I don't envy anyone in the situation of op!
snow report
A massive thank you to everyone for their contributions. You have helped (most of you... Razz ).

To add more info:

Background
My wife and I share every hobby/preference apart from sport. She isn't sporty in the slightest whereas I love all sports, play most of them and do things like skiing. This has never been an issue because when I do sporty activities, she has girly trips/nights. This is the first time I'm bringing my sporty hobby to her because I want it to be a family event with the kids.

We have 4 holidays a year. 2 sunny, cocktail, spa based holidays where we can explore the area (Mauritius, Turkey), a British kids focused trip (Centre Parcs) and a trip to see family in Spain. Everyone loves these but since the kids have been born, I haven't been skiing.

My wife hates the idea of going somewhere cold where she has to get sweaty and do a sporty activity. She likes the idea of the views and food and she wants the kids to ski but is really anxious that she will be stuck alone and not enjoy it.

What I'm hoping for
I don't expect her to love skiing. I just want to convince her to do it in a comfy environment and not be stuck babysitting or isolated whilst the rest of us ski. Don't want to spend a few grand on a trip for her to be miserable in a chalet, alone.
I want to find a resort that means we can ski as a family, explore some interesting sights and eat good food.

Leaving her behind defeats the purpose of a family ski holiday. From what you have all said, I think the holiday needs to be some exploring or non-ski activities as well as focusing on the kids lessons.
I will have to spend time with the kids at their lesson, before and after and hope for a relaxed family ski day at the end of the holiday.

I'm not one of those skiiers who is on the first lift of the day till the last anyway. I like cruising around, stopping for a whisky or glu wine and having ski days off to explore even when im with the lads.

The cost isn't a factor - any budget is fine.

PeakyB wrote:
@bezthespaniard, brilliant advice from the snowHeads collective already. A real 360 degree view I think.

Now, apart from the ‘beach and cocktails’ bit, I don’t think we know much about your perception of what your other half is like and, maybe, what other things she likes to do and/or doesn’t like.

For example:
1. How is she with passing the care of your children over to qualified others for chunks of the day?
Awful. We have friends that use in-chalet childcare but my wife would never do that. For her, a family holiday is done together, not using hired help.

2. Do you think that she’s confident that your kids would be happy with that and probably enjoy the mountains and a go at skiing themselves?
The kids will buzz off everything and are the kind of kids who would be happy being left. But the wife wouldn't do that.

3. How active is she... walking? swimming? jogging? any other sports past or present?
Inactive. Completely. She's petite but is completely anti-sport.

Very very much.

With family, exploring, eating good food, swimming, relaxing, reading. Anything that isn't sport...

Being stuck in the cold. Sport. People she doesn't know.
snow report
Courchevel (1650) would be a decent shout. As others said go late March / Easter.
ski holidays
andybomb1 wrote:
Courchevel (1650) would be a decent shout.

Courchevel 1550 is nearer to Aquamotion but the bus stops there as well.
snow report
I’m thinking along the lines of the sunny terrace near the Ariondaz bubble - decent cocktails, food and views.

Chances are 1550 has similar but I don’t know it.
snow report
Quote:

I don't expect her to love skiing. I just want to convince her to do it

Hmm. Why not go somewhere where the two of you can do other stuff, togethr, when the kids are in lessons, and where perhaps she could sit, warmly dressed, and watch you and the kids having a very little potter. Then all go toboganning together. It really doesn't sound like "convincing her to do it" is a good idea.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bezthespaniard, I think you just need to emphasise the Shopping Opportunities ...

I have dragged Mrs U kicking and screaming and kicking some more, into ski touring this year as a. we like to be together (swoon) and b. there is not so much else to do.

After the first tour in springlike conditions on Thursday, when all my advice was ignored (who'd believe it?) and exactly 256 "how are you doing honey?" "I am too effing hot!" conversations, we finally managed to go back, yesterday, to the shop where we'd seen some pants that I'd thought might suit her rather better for the activity, knee brace and all. (As seen in early December, so only 10 weeks later ... ).

Hmmm... asks I, to charming salesperson, "Might you happen to have a similar jacket, in terms of weight, etc.?", "Why yes Sir, we might!". Awesome, jacket half price. And Mrs U had her Mum's xmas cash burning a hole...

Anyway, point being, this very afternoon, how surprised am I by, "Darleeng, are we going for a little ski tour tomorrow so I can play with all my new equipment?"

Err, well, if we must ... wink
snow report
@bezthespaniard, from what you've said - first thing to do is to remove the word sport from any ski chat! Laughing Funnily enough, I don't view it as sport when I think of skiing, but equally don't see long walks/hiking, yoga etc as sport - when I'm doing them. Hmm, interesting perspective!

I'll stick to my winter wonderland suggestion as it does sound like she'll be focused on the kids having fun, and other activities, and the scenery and surroundings. And maybe get the winter holiday vibe going, and she may decide at some point she fancies skiing or indeed boarding? Let her decide later? Try something like cross country as a family in some gorgeous surroundings, she may like that?

If it's anti-sport, you'll need to convince her winter hols are not about sport, they are about a lifestyle. snowHead
ski holidays
bezthespaniard wrote:
A massive thank you to everyone for their contributions. You have helped (most of you... Razz ).

To add more info:

Background
My wife and I share every hobby/preference apart from sport. She isn't sporty in the slightest whereas I love all sports, play most of them and do things like skiing. This has never been an issue because when I do sporty activities, she has girly trips/nights. This is the first time I'm bringing my sporty hobby to her because I want it to be a family event with the kids.

We have 4 holidays a year. 2 sunny, cocktail, spa based holidays where we can explore the area (Mauritius, Turkey), a British kids focused trip (Centre Parcs) and a trip to see family in Spain. Everyone loves these but since the kids have been born, I haven't been skiing.

My wife hates the idea of going somewhere cold where she has to get sweaty and do a sporty activity. She likes the idea of the views and food and she wants the kids to ski but is really anxious that she will be stuck alone and not enjoy it.

What I'm hoping for
I don't expect her to love skiing. I just want to convince her to do it in a comfy environment and not be stuck babysitting or isolated whilst the rest of us ski. Don't want to spend a few grand on a trip for her to be miserable in a chalet, alone.
I want to find a resort that means we can ski as a family, explore some interesting sights and eat good food.

Leaving her behind defeats the purpose of a family ski holiday. From what you have all said, I think the holiday needs to be some exploring or non-ski activities as well as focusing on the kids lessons.
I will have to spend time with the kids at their lesson, before and after and hope for a relaxed family ski day at the end of the holiday.

I'm not one of those skiiers who is on the first lift of the day till the last anyway. I like cruising around, stopping for a whisky or glu wine and having ski days off to explore even when im with the lads.

The cost isn't a factor - any budget is fine.

I had a feeling this might be the case.

FWIW. These would be my thoughts:

- This will require a warmer time of year, to a nice hotel (with Spa area), in a picturesque resort, with access to some mountain restaurants via a Bubble or Cable Car.

- Skiing may well end up being a more minor part of her holiday - so organise Private lessons at a time that allows a late breakfast and relaxed morning

- If you get the name of a good instructor - book them in advance...and if it doesn't work out, you could take up the spare lessons

- If she enjoys skiing - she can do more of it - if not, there are other ways to occupy the time

- Skiing with kids has to be run like a military operation, which you can bear the brunt of - and the ability to ski/learn with them might prove an incentive for her.

- It may be, she ends up enjoying the mountains, without the skiing bit....so would come on future holidays, but without skiing.

All you can do, is suck it and see (so to speak)....and go somewhere that is a nice place to be as a non skier, as a backup plan.
ski holidays
@bezthespaniard,
Quote:

PeakyB wrote:

For example:
Awful. We have friends that use in-chalet childcare but my wife would never do that. For her, a family holiday is done together, not using hired help.

The kids will buzz off everything and are the kind of kids who would be happy being left. But the wife wouldn't do that.

Inactive. Completely. She's petite but is completely anti-sport.

Very very much.

With family, exploring, eating good food, swimming, relaxing, reading. Anything that isn't sport...

Being stuck in the cold. Sport. People she doesn't know.

I think your answers to my questions make the challenge of finding somewhere much clearer, thanks. This is a toughie to be honest.

Your OP mentioned maybe a Ski Famille booking. Yet you think your wife is awful at handing kids over to childcare and doesn't like being with people she doesn't know? If that's true, I struggle to see how she'd be happy with a family oriented TO. The whole benefit of those is that parents get time without needing to worry about the kids for a few hours. Personally I found those trips worked really well for us and we all head a great time, especially the kids. Sure, you're not going to get on with every other adult and you'll get a real mix, but there needs to be a bit of give and take.

So are you thinking family alone together in apartment, self catering? Or booking a small private catered chalet to yourselves, with hosts coming in to do food, cleaning, washing up, etc? Or something else? Most options apart from those involve some degree of interacting and mixing with other folk.

You're very keen for her to ski but say she's not active or at all sporty. So not sure how well that's going to work out? One or both of you has to make compromises I suggest. It would be a high risk trip for sure.

I'm not sure you've said how old your kids are (apols if you have)? Also whether you're restricted to going during school holidays or have more freedom to go whenever it suits?
Those things would make a difference to your choice I think and there will be possibilities I'm sure.
latest report
@ElzP,
Quote:

she may decide at some point she fancies skiing or indeed boarding?

Nothing like a bit of wild optimism Very Happy
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Laughing At least it negates the need for ski boot pain!
snow report
Quote:

My wife hates the idea of going somewhere cold where she has to get sweaty and do a sporty activity.

That's essentially skiing - especially as a beginner. I'm not trying to be mean, you seem like a nice guy with good intentions. I just can't see how it's going to work. Imagine the shoe being on the other foot and her wanting you to do a trip to do something where you hated 3 key components of that activity. Perhaps a better idea is to look at holidays where you can do a day or two skiing on the side - either summer glacier skiing or if winter maybe a city break with access to skiing for a day or two.
latest report
I’d second Ski2 in Champoluc as a perfect introduction to skiing. The Hotel Relais de Glacier has a nice outdoor spa pool and does a decent cocktail.

Another idea - my wife didn’t want to try skiing until we were in Megeve one April for a non-skiing holiday and we saw people skiing easy pistes and enjoying themselves. A summer holiday in the alps in a decent hotel with a pool and a nice lake to swim in might just warm her up to the idea of a winter ski trip. I’d suggest the Dolomites for a summer holiday, you could have a two-centre holiday between there and the Adriatic or Lake Garda.
snow conditions
@ElzP, to be fair, that's a very good point. My first proper experience on a board came about because I had ski boots that rubbed my ankles down to the flesh and I couldn't take any more.
So I had a board for the last 3 days of the trip and it was luxury!

Tough gig if you're not fit, sporty and really up for it though, first few days on a board. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Valkyrie,
Quote:

my wife didn’t want to try skiing until we were in Megeve one April for a non-skiing holiday and we saw people skiing easy pistes and enjoying themselves.

Funny you should mention Megeve. The thought of a place there had occurred to me. It would involve mixing with other people, at least a little. It has loads and loads of +s though.

Like your idea of a summer holiday in the mountains first too. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I looked at a summer trip to Dolomites a couple of years ago. When I checked weather records, they have about twice as much rain in the summer months, on average, as precipitation during the winter. Completely the wrong way around. No wonder they've invested so much in state of the art snowmaking Shocked

Any comments or experience on that anyone?
snow report
I'm a confident skier, and my then boyfriend had never skied and isn't particularly confident or sporty. Through work I was able to get a great deal on a 4-day end of season ski trip. The hotel had a sun terrace, so we said up front that if he wanted to spend all four days reading a book on that terrace then that would be absolutely fine. Alternatively, he was booked in to morning and afternoon lessons with the same group of Brits who were travelling with us (who he didn't know before the trip), while I spent all day skiing with the more experienced skiers in the group. We didn't have any kids to consider.

He loved it - he's now my husband and wants to go on his 5th trip as soon as we're allowed. It really helped that he was in that consistent group, who bonded during the lessons and had lunch etc together. With kids I wouldn't recommend leaving her alone all day like I was able to, but I think having an adult friend who is skiing and learning with her could be really helpful. Let her go at her own pace, and expect getting ready in the morning to take her to take twice as long as is reasonable. Don't be tempted to coach her in the afternoons unless that's what she wants, and if you do then make sure you're reinforcing what she has already learnt (ask her what she has be taught) rather than introducing anything new.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:

So are you thinking family alone together in apartment, self catering? Or booking a small private catered chalet to yourselves, with hosts coming in to do food, cleaning, washing up, etc? Or something else? Most options apart from those involve some degree of interacting and mixing with other folk.

Not necessarily, IIRC, Esprit Ski have a chalet in La Rosiere which only sleeps 5 but is fully catered. And you can take or leave the childcare, but has the added benefit of the couriers helping get the kids to/from the lessons. La Ros could fit the bill of nice weather later in the season too, although falls down badly on other activities.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy