Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead

Click image for a clearer version

Shamelessly lifted, once again, from Eric Bonnel:

https://twitter.com/ebonnel

Note that Mardi Gras / Fasching / Carnaval / Pancake Day is 1 March and Easter Sunday is 17 April 2022.

Preceding year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149291
Succeeding year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4849626

More useful links:
Calendar: https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2022
Austria: https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2021/
France: https://www.education.gouv.fr/media/74054/download
Germany: https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2021-2022/

NOTE: This is for winter 2021-2022.

Thanks are due to willirvine for finding this and drawing it to our attention even though Eric has not put it on his Twitter feed this year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-11-21 18:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The following is a graphical representation of the school holidays calendar for 2021-2022. I found this within a post on www.wintersport.nl. The site is in Dutch, but can be translated with Google Translate ("OO" is AT and "TSJ" is CZ). Fasching looks to be the busiest week of the ski year.

Here is the blog post in Dutch: https://www.wintersport.nl/weblog/11/02/2021/drukke-vakantieweken-in-het-wintersportseizoen-2021-2022
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excellent chart @monkbeer, thanks

That last sentence of the 'What stands out?' section seems to have been garbled in translation Puzzled

Not sure what she's driving at there...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:
Excellent chart @monkbeer, thanks

That last sentence of the 'What stands out?' section seems to have been garbled in translation Puzzled

Not sure what she's driving at there...

I looked at the original. Basically says Austrian holidays are 12-19 Feb but people don’t always do a full week in resort but move around, if you want a quiet week plan away from 12-19 Feb.

I think it mistranslated “om...heenplannen”
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DJL, Thanks - makes sense looking at the relative size of the OO bars
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@altis, thanks, as always, a go-to chart for planning next season.

@monkbeer, that's great, thanks. Hopefully they update it for every season. Any idea anyone whether they drill down to the next level with a separate graph for how busy each major alpine sports country might be? snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm fairly sure they put out this chart every year on wintersport.nl

I'm also curious about the numbers for countries and resorts. Laurent Vanat puts out an international report on the ski industry each year. It's in pdf format, if you're interested. It has plenty of info on the world of ski.

Here is the report for 2020: https://vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2020.pdf

Christoph Schrahe has his report on the world's largest ski areas. He also includes info about the busiest resorts and which ones have the best snow. Again, lots of info there.

Here it is: https://www.montenius.de/the-list-of-the-worlds-100-largest-ski-areas.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Norway doesn’t appear to be on that list, but it’s their national holiday 19th-26th Feb.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone got a good suggestion for Feb HT 2022 ?

Might be an impossible task , but I want somewhere not too busy...

Ours will be Feb 12th - 19th. So want to avoid France ... and anywhere the Germans are likely to be (Austria and Dolomites).

Do the Swiss mostly stick to Switzerland or do they go elsewhere now for better value? (My thought being Switzerland might not be too busy ?)

Aosta valley looks most promising as no Italian school holidays and Carnivale is not until start of March... and its out on a limb so less likely to get Germans going there?

Champoluc maybe ? Or La Thuile ... Good value for money too.

But piste skiing looks very limited in Champoluc (although spread over a long distance - seems like only one piste "there and back" on the map ...? )
La Thuile will potentially be invaded by French (assuming link is open) ?

Cervinia perhaps ?

Have thought about going outside hols as the prices from TO's are very high ... but kids have missed so much the last year ... might feel a bit irresponsible...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@monkbeer, really interesting chart! I've guess the caveat to viewing any of the figures after the start of April is that it's reliant on knowing how many resorts are open. So while at first glance Easter school holidays look like a relatively quiet time to ski, in reality most people will ski in a handful of resorts and consequently those resorts won't be as quiet as the chart would suggest.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Handy Turnip wrote:
@monkbeer, really interesting chart! I've guess the caveat to viewing any of the figures after the start of April is that it's reliant on knowing how many resorts are open. So while at first glance Easter school holidays look like a relatively quiet time to ski, in reality most people will ski in a handful of resorts and consequently those resorts won't be as quiet as the chart would suggest.
Unless it's a bumper year and you go low.

We did it a couple of years ago to Les Gets. The base was still really thick in March so we book for the last week that it was open (which was something like 10th -17th April). I was actually watching a couple of vids I took of it the other day. There's one clip of my family coming down the main Chavannes slope. They are the ONLY ones on the slope, but more over the lift was in full shot, and there wasn't a single person on the lift for entire 2 minute video!

Only downside was there was barely anything open on the mountain!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Unless it's a bumper year and you go low.

We did it a couple of years ago to Les Gets. The base was still really thick in March so we book for the last week that it was open (which was something like 10th -17th April). I was actually watching a couple of vids I took of it the other day. There's one clip of my family coming down the main Chavannes slope. They are the ONLY ones on the slope, but more over the lift was in full shot, and there wasn't a single person on the lift for entire 2 minute video!

Only downside was there was barely anything open on the mountain!

Very true - with Easter, in a bumper year those that leave it to the last minute and follow the snow will always be rewarded. Although most families for Easter school hols will plan ahead so you'll still get a small amount of resorts with a lot of people as mentioned above.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Handy Turnip, yeah true. This was a bonus trip for us. My FIL couldn’t come with us on our usual February trip, so, as any good son in law would do, I suggested (very selflessly) that we should go on a second trip so that he didn’t miss out
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are looking at a family trip (with beginner children and nervous wife) for half term. This falls 19th to 26th Feb for us.

Keen to avoid France as clashes with Paris half term.

Best flight routes (balancing cost and location) are Munich, Salzburg and Turin.

Am thinking of Munich and then heading to the SkiWelt area (possibly Ellmau). Looks like we clash with Netherlands (north region), but generally am I reading it right that Austria shouldnt be too bad that week?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pippo9, Depends entirely on what the Germans and, more specifically, Bavarians are doing that week.
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
@Pippo9, Depends entirely on what the Germans and, more specifically, Bavarians are doing that week.

and, increasingly, the Czechs.
ski holidays
I think Bavarian holidays are the following week, so hoping we're okay in that regard.
latest report
Good news, I am hoping to be in Voralberg the week before (19-26 Feb)
snow report
@Snowsartre, Swiss holidays
snow report
It’s looking like my childfree trip might have to be on 24-28 Feb 22 which isn’t coming in as ideal on the school holidays chart to say the least... I had started looking in Austria because they are not on holiday then (whereas some French still are). I never realised German skiers had such a vast impact until I saw that chart - makes perfect sense on reflection.

I’d be grateful for any thoughts where might be least rammed if anyone is wise enough to know? I fear some participants may veto CH on cost grounds. Huge thanks for any ideas!
ski holidays
@Skimum1, could be worse. Remind us of what sort of skiing, village/town/apres/accommodation/budget experience you're hoping for? So it's a 4 night break, Thu out, Monday return?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, thank you - my typo - most likely 3 nights and thought Fri to Mon to avoid the half term Sunday flight hike. Mixed ability group. Budget 4* rather than super swish. Quick transfer, good food, bit of apres, walking distance to lift if possible. Morzine has worked really well and I had an eye on Kitzbuhel this time round but worried about the French/German holidays. Appreciate any thoughts!
snow report
@Skimum1, tough to meet all those preferences that time of season, I’d say. Unless you’re prepared to throw a week’s worth of average ski trip budget at a weekend, with say 3 days skiing effectively.
Aosta Valley is one area that springs to mind, if you could get conveniently timed flights.

Maybe some of the lesser known Austrian ski areas. I think places like Kitzbuhel would be busy and expensive.

Dolomites could be good but transfers typically 2.5 to 3 hours.
ski holidays
@PeakyB, thank you. It really isn't a great weekend to go but better than not going I guess... I will look at Aosta for some inspiration- thank you.
snow report
@sheffskibod, only just looked at this thread, my wife is wondering about optimistically booking some flights and I wanted the holiday date chart.

You asked about half term holidays in Switzerland. We found it surprisingly economical as a place to self-cater that week, prices there may generally be highish but don't go up for half term the way they do for the countries most popular with the British. Neither were there the long lift queues.

The other thing is that their excellent public transport system makes it easy to self-organise transfers, and there are plenty of reasonably priced flights to both Zurich and Geneva. We went five successive half terms, to Davos, Lenzerheide (both twice) and Laax.

The only thing is the relatively high cost of eating out, especially if alcohol is involved. We were able to get a modest lunch on the mountain at similar costs to French resorts, but needed to be more choosy about evenings. But by being self-catering we were able to balance things out by eating in several nights.
snow report
Do most of the people of Vienna and the rest of Lower Austria (Niederösterreich) tend to spend their holidays at the ski resorts in the Eastern portion of Austria, or do they travel throughout AT? I'm looking into Saalbach for the 2nd week of February '22 and wonder if I'd be fighting more crowds there, than in Ischgl or St. Anton.
ski holidays
Has anyone seen a 2022/2023 school holidays chart yet?
ski holidays
Yes the new chart can be found here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pdctr00fybsz0vx/AABjTo4zWHzYiPkQW0Auzk8Da?dl=0&preview=Vacances+scolaires+2022-2023+au+1er+septembre+2021.pdf

Paging @altis to set up a new thread !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well done Bod. I’m off to work soon so I’ll have a go at that later.
latest report
Just had to double check ours as these dates are different to the school’s. Phew we only clash with one week of UK/Paris not two!
snow report
Can anyone confirm what zone Briancon is in? It's in the Hautes-Alpes region.

Thanks.
snow report
Great asset this information, do we know when the 2023 information will be available
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
Great asset this information, do we know when the 2023 information will be available

It’s been available for ages - link is in the opening post….

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4849626
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy