Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
Can start this thread with a job opportunity for the rather challenging post of CEO at Cairngorm:
https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/new-vacancy-chief-executive/?fbclid=IwAR2avTb40kCOSL_c8dI0B5XZPa-G5wJt9E3CHH2tM1rH5eyZoRHYvLK9plY
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£85k - thats a lot for a coffee shop manager...........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£85k is a bit low for the type of person I would be looking for.

I would be looking for someone with a history of getting major investment and running a team capable of high end business development.

The last time I was there I could see so many things that would generate revenue and enhance the customer experience.

Some.things in addition to the skiing. Maximising revenue per area of the hill.
EG so many people have breakfast in Aviemore then head up. A coffee stop in the car park. Sandwich sales to take on mountain (biodegradable) so people go up the hill first without a pit stop in Aviemore.

Ticket sales in the carpark so people can save a queue. When I was there the last time it was 90 mins to get a ticket for the funicular. I've never been back and gonto Glencoe or glenshee now

On mountain a coffee stop etc etc so you don't need to go into the one place to eat. Glencoe and shee do that

All of these could bring in an extra 30% revenue and that is before we talk about the ski infrastructure. Or event infrastructure.

Corporate sponsorship of staff equipment cutting the costs but not the quality.

Merchandise for sale at a reasonable price.

And the list goes on and on and on.

Anyway, rant over. And before anyone says why don't I do it. £85k for guaranteed abuse....... no thanks Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They really need someone that has already done their career and made enough money to do this without being bothered about the pay. There are so many things that could be done, key would be trying to heal the wounds with the local stakeholder groups. Problem with all these is you can’t actually do your job or make decisions as as soon as it goes up the line you are into the world of politics. I looked at it but on balance don’t think it would be feasible to make the changes required without getting squashed upstream.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You also need the ability to make it snow....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GreenDay wrote:
£85k - thats a lot for a coffee shop manager...........

True Laughing That job is poison chalice. So long as punters can't leave top station for 8 months a year then Cairngorm will never make money no matter how much it snows.

russ_e wrote:

More important would be an ability to make HIE see error of their funicular obsession...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
More important would be an ability to make HIE see error of their funicular obsession...

^ +1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap wrote:

I can well imagine how the job interviews will go on this one - so your views on the funicular? It's not £85k to be a genuine CEO, it's £85k to do what HIE tells you to do, the job is protecting HIE by keeping the funicular limping along so no more searching questions get asked! Oh and £85k for CEO of a company that turned over £215k in its last accounts! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
haggishunter wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

I can well imagine how the job interviews will go on this one - so your views on the funicular? It's not £85k to be a genuine CEO, it's £85k to do what HIE tells you to do, the job is protecting HIE by keeping the funicular limping along so no more searching questions get asked! Oh and £85k for CEO of a company that turned over £215k in its last accounts! rolling eyes

You have to wonder what Bob Clyde / Tommy Paul would make of:
a) the funicular fiasco
b) management being paid 85k to run down ski area

Neither of them had an MBA between them wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

1. Historically, Cairngorm has a pretty decent snow record, with a long season. November and May snowsports are not uncommon.
2. They have a double-unit Snow Factory for the lower slopes these days (though it hasn't worked for a lot of the time they have had it Confused)
3. Winter starts tomorrow - with 18cm of snow forecast at the top in the next few days Very Happy

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

2. They have a double-unit Snow Factory for the lower slopes these days (though it hasn't worked for a lot of the time they have had it Confused)

And on the few occasions it does run it's powered by a not very environmentally friendly diesel generator....

mountainaddict wrote:

3. Winter starts tomorrow - with 18cm of snow forecast at the top in the next few days Very Happy

Let's hope the Scottish ski areas get a good snow season! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, Was snowing on Nevis last night
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Was snowing on Nevis last night
Was hoping to see some snow - but Neviscam images are still from June Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Let's hope the Scottish ski areas get a good snow season!

Ahhmen to that. I just moved up to Orkney and am buzzing to get the van down South (everywhere is South) and get a few good tours in. Not many skiiers up here so more local company very welcome!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@giantsquid, if you own touring kit, and don't mind a bit of grass skiing between patches of neve, you could soon be bagging some first routes on the islands. Just mind those cliffs !
ski holidays
So I'm up near Inverness 27th 28th of November I assume that will be too early for any lift served skiing?
latest report
@wam15, probably too early, but the Lecht, which has mostly grassy slopes so can (and does) open at the proverbial drop of a hat, sometimes offers November sport.
snow report
That's the closest to where I'm staying so fingers crossed we get something!
latest report
moffatross wrote:
@giantsquid, if you own touring kit, and don't mind a bit of grass skiing between patches of neve, you could soon be bagging some first routes on the islands. Just mind those cliffs !

Yep I've got a touring set up with me, I went out desperately at the end of March to get some but the wind had taken the snow on any decent slopes onto the meadows below. Sacked it off after a morning of driving around. It can happen though, a friend has a video of him sending a backie in a meadow on a tractor built kicker a few years back. Personally I've got my eyes on the island of Hoy, some decent gradients (and scrabbly rocks and cliffs and lots of helmet magnets) there
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Was snowing on Nevis last night
Was hoping to see some snow - but Neviscam images are still from June Confused

The cameras were switched to the StreamDays platform in June, they’ve not been offline, but are only available as streams. Downside is you can’t see the end of day images or quickly scroll through the cams.
snow report
Since dark a cold front has swept SSE through the Highland ski areas, temperatures on the tops now below -3ºc, so should be snow from showers and the back edge of the cold front on at least some of the webcams in the morning! snowHead
snow report
Very cold in SW Edinburgh first thing with a sprinkle tinkle of white stuff on the S Pentlands. Further north webcams at The Shee, Glencoe, Lecht2000 and Cairngorm all showing snow. Wahoo !
snow report
Bring it on! Hail up here in Orkney yesterday and a little today so it has to be snowing somewhere nearby!
latest report
The Lecht this morning....

snow conditions
@giantsquid, You might like this site on Facebook, lots of photos https://www.facebook.com/groups/snowpatchesscotland
snow conditions
@larry1950, cheers yeah I'm already a member Smile
snow conditions
@giantsquid, Should have guessed, its a become a very popular group, do you also check Graeme Pringle (Windy Miller) updates for Cairngorm in winter.
snow report
Just adding a post so I can see the updates in tghe hope of (at least) a long weekend this coming season
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Sphinx patch has melted on Braeriach leaving just the patch on Aonach Beag as the UKs only remaining snow this year.
Presumably this is on the news because of the Glasgow climate summit.
It’s a shame that Winterhighland seems to have become defunct. For 20 years that was the definitive place to discuss all thing Scottish snowsports related.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-58980007
latest report
@Peter S, yes, from the report "What is historically the UK's longest lasting patch of snow has disappeared for "only the eighth time in 300 years"".

Sadly, a sign of the changing climate. Sad
latest report
Great words Peter S and Alistare on the sphinx disappearance in a long wee while. Gone but not forgotten and I’m sure to re-compactize itself into a good run for the boundless in a few moons top. When it comes back I will call it’s original Scottish name that was Folkrah meaning Bath in Gaelic.

Delightedly on a interview on Radio 5 I heard a interview with one of surely the fittest people on the forum. Cameron Philips giving a clear, concise state of the Sphinx’s play with thousands of mountain miles under his belt it was a tremendous interview which straightened out the airwaves.
latest report
======= Iain Cameron !!! =======

https://www.facebook.com/groups/400252053508185/user/523716375

The disappearing Sphinx -- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00113dm?fbclid=IwAR0b14hRTlRHnOQwpEcud9C9fD6JTDpF6fsCy8jqpxi2H96Q0iCWX3xbGtw -- ff to 2 hours 10 mins
snow report
Winterhighlad defunct? Website is still there?
ski holidays
Think the reference is to their Forum (last post October 21..)
latest report
albob wrote:
Think the reference is to their Forum (last post October 21..)

Oh dear. It's many years since I skied in Scotland but always use winterhighland D a reference point
ski holidays
albob wrote:
======= Iain Cameron !!! =======

https://www.facebook.com/groups/400252053508185/user/523716375

The disappearing Sphinx -- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00113dm?fbclid=IwAR0b14hRTlRHnOQwpEcud9C9fD6JTDpF6fsCy8jqpxi2H96Q0iCWX3xbGtw -- ff to 2 hours 10 mins

Yes, yes Iain Cameron. My mistake when I’ve seen his mountainy exploits for so long. A true Scot of Rabbies tribe. Adventure minded fit and skilled. Iain Cameron.
latest report
Seemingly nothing on the horizon for Scotland....Time for the snow dances (or snow ceilidhs wink)
snow conditions
Looks a bit cooler last week of November. Will need somewhere grassy!
snow report
Quote:
Looks a bit cooler last week of November. Will need somewhere grassy!
The 49cm of snow that is forecast in Scotland on Sat 27 Nov might cover a few rocks Very Happy Could be decent in the Pennines too.

latest report
Ben Wyvis.

https://i.ibb.co/F73DNNQ/20211121-115201.jpg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy