Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
@kaiserchief,
Have you heard about the female Customers who are paid to sit by the window ? Very Happy

Hey Folks.....

Lift Company has a Permit to build a connection from Rendl to See (Silveretta)

More than likely will encounter same environmental objections as the Rendl Kappl
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton, where did you get that rumour from? It is pretty unbelievable. The link to Kappl involved building three lifts and a small number of pistes. To get to See would involve covering a large part of the northern side of the Paznauntal with lifts and pistes plus building new uplift from See. Cant see how that has any hope of getting approval or financing. My understanding is that there is a plan to link See with Serfaus, which would involve building one lift and likely no new pistes, which seems much more likely than fantasy ski areas. I thought the Arlberger Bergbahnen AG was no longer interested in links to the Paznauntal as there is little money in it for them?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After 2 glorious months, it is time to head back to Australia, enjoy autumn, and await the ski season there.

There is a suggestion on one of the forecasting sites of a bit of snow over the next week. I am a little sceptical, but it sure would be useful for those coming after us. I must confess it has been wonderful skiing in bluebird, early spring conditions, but 3+ weeks between snowfalls is too long.

Yesterday was quite a bit more crowded than the preceding days. I guess the long-weekenders had arrived.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bluebird days....

Going to Cloud overy next week. Maybe some dust but more than likely rain below 2200metres

Most Apres Bars on the hill closing April 10th..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ulmerhutte wrote:
After 2 glorious months, it is time to head back to Australia, enjoy autumn, and await the ski season there.

There is a suggestion on one of the forecasting sites of a bit of snow over the next week. I am a little sceptical, but it sure would be useful for those coming after us. I must confess it has been wonderful skiing in bluebird, early spring conditions, but 3+ weeks between snowfalls is too long.

Yesterday was quite a bit more crowded than the preceding days. I guess the long-weekenders had arrived.

yes. it's been a bit crowded recently. Very enjoyable sunny days and piste conditions thanks to low temps, but some fresh falls would have been welcome.
Have a good journey back to Oz.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, @davidthornton.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, a link to See? Sure!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some depressing photos doing the rounds of StA covered in a load of Sahara sand.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, We are a couple of hundred kms away but it is very weird weather here too, yellow skies and the cars getting covered in sand. I would imagine the snow looks strange covered in sand. Its got really dark the street lights have come on, just like a solar eclipse, webcams from St Anton look similar, very odd
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Folks

Snowing up higher......will not amount to much ...
Rain coming this afternoon lower down

Wonderful Sahara Sandstorm here this afternoon
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How often does sand from the Sahara hit Austria?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@monkbeer, around this time, pretty much every year I think. It’s not just Austria, the dust cloud will fall across the Alps ans further south.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@monkbeer, around this time, pretty much every year I think. It’s not just Austria, the dust cloud will fall across the Alps ans further south.

I second that. This event has however been more intense than the average. In 20 years of skiing in St Anton, I have not seen it turn into brown mud on cars and in the streets. Perhaps it happens more often later in March, when we are gone.

It is also not that often that the groomed pistes are so stark white against the caffé latte side pistes - again maybe it happens later. That is however something we regularly see in Victoria (Aus) in spring, when the northerlies bring a load of Mallee red soil and dump it on the snow. It is usually the beginning of the end: the brown snow melts more quickly and it also turns to Velcro, making skiing decidedly unpleasant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte, I’m glad we decided against going late season, would have been going next weekend. The Sahara dust causes a fast melt.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, I get that you had reasons for not going earlier, but it was a pretty good season for us. In a little over 2 months, we had only 1 rain day, and very few days of flat light. It wasn’t an epic powder season, but there were some great days. What stood out was the number of bluebird, still and cool days, finishing with 3 weeks of such days. No regrets about going, despite getting pneumonia as a chaser to covid. At least we had natural immunity to the latter, or so we hoped.

At this time of year, if you have the flexibility, it is best to leave it to the last minute, but you know that anyway.
latest report
loads of the season left, confident my Easter trip will be fine and still loads of time for traditional spring storms to cover up the sand!
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, next season I’m going to devote to skiing, especially mid/late January and try get some proper powder days. Glad you had a good season.

@kitenski, fair play, have fun.
ski holidays
@kitenski, you might want to have a back up plan with mountain bikes. The weather forecast can always change but currently not a rain drop / snowflake in sight, warm spring sunshine mixed with cool nights.
snow report
@munich_irish, I tried not to say that but I’d say your right. I once recall pulling up for fuel at Easter near Stuttgart and the guy behind me laughing at our roof box and asking where the mountain bikes were? Great long days in the sun, freeze thaw mornings but after 11am pistes were mush. Terraces nice and full!
snow conditions
@munich_irish, always been skiable snow, even in the bad years, have you ever known the Arlberg to close early? Maybe it was 2015 and folk on here said take mountain bikes, and it was absolutely fine, the only area that really suffered was Warth. Happy skiing slush and then ski north facing slopes lunchtime onwards. I'd reckon it'll snow in the next 3 weeks before Easter.....
snow report
@Markymark29, that seems like prime time to me.

I'm looking for an early to mid Jan trip, then one late Jan early Feb. Both booked last minute to try and get a good dump cycle before and during the trip. (fingers crossed).
snow report
A factor in keeping the pistes good was the temps staying low right into March, -10c, cold dry air. January had the powder and changeable weather. Early January is often good with quiet pistes and good snow conditions. Not a fan of March skiing, usually slushy low down. But early March this year the temps stayed low thankfully.
I've known a metre of snow to fall in one dump at village level in late March, so there's hope yet for this season.
ski holidays
Snow is Snow just shread it

Sunscreen in forecast fot n3xt 10 days

There is a drought on Austria ..

Look forward to big snow dumps in April/May !!

FFP2 Compulsory wearing of masks is back from Wednesday March 23 (expected) in all buildings (restuarants,Hotels,shops etc)
latest report
Hi guys after being denied two seasons due to Western Australian restrictions we are planning a big one next season. I’ve got two questions.
Does anyone know what the 22/23 season dates are ?
Is there any way around the 90/180 day Schengen restrictions without having to leave Austria ?
We have Aus and UK passports.
Thanks.
snow report
@Ozzyski, The only way around the 90 day thing is to apply for, in this case, an Austrian visa. Different countries have different requirements and types of visa. Note an Austrian visa is only valid in Austria it does not change the 90 day thing in the rest of Schengen (though in practice once you enter Schengen there are no checks on travelling around). If you dont have a visa you need to leave after 90 days and not return for the next 90. More info https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 20-03-22 9:15; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Ozzyski, The only way around the 90 day thing is to apply for, in this case, an Austrian visa. Different countries have different requirements and types of visa. Note an Austrian visa is only valid in Austria it does not change the 90 day thing in the rest of Schengen (though in practice once you enter Schengen there are no checks on travelling around). If you dont have a visa you need to leave after 90 days and not return for the next 90.

Hmmm… the most convenient ports of entry/exit for Australian travellers to StA are usually Zürich and Munich, in that order. Both are bound by Schengen rules. With Emirates, and perhaps some others, you can come in and depart via Wien, but that involves a 5.5 hour train trip, or an internal flight to Innsbruck. If you decide to go via Switzerland or Germany, it may pay to find out what you need to do to not fall foul of the 90/180 rule. The last thing you want is hassles on departure and perhaps issues for future trips.

I doubt next season’s dates have been finalised, but this season’s dates should give you a reasonable indication https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/Ski-Arlberg/Ski-tickets/Season-times
latest report
Thanks for the replies. We really only want to be able to come and go from the UK. I’ll look into the Austrian tourist visa. Here’s to 22/23 !
snow report
currently looking like a big shift in weather back to winter next week, let's hope it doesn't all fizzle out to nothing!

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/ZKn2T2Usmx0 - from the weekend Happy
snow report
Hey folks

After weeks of Blue Sky Sun & Sand Storms .
Weather is about to change...

Rain & SNOW on the ways ... Days & Lots of it .....

APRIL POW
ski holidays
Another "Saharastaub" possibly tomorrow but the Skies righ now are dark & it could already be Sand

Snow on the WAY !!!

snow conditions
Toofy Grin out there on the 5th April. snowHead
ski holidays
I’m at Lech right now and I reckon we’ve had a couple of cm up top today - very obvious skiing across the Sahara snow.
snow report
@BartMasters, was going to ask if anyone was out as the snow looks a bit orange/dark on the webcams!
snow conditions
@kitenski, was in St.Anton & Lech over the weekend. Definitely yellow snow off the pistes. Very weird! Other than that conditions are very good & with snow this week will become super.
snow report
@Steilhang, thanks Smile flying into Munich on Sun 10th April, is 3 hours to get to Stuben a fair estimate of driving times?
ski holidays
Yep off piste looks weird with the dirty orange snow, but pistes are all in great nick. Its not super busy here, but haven’t seen anyone going off piste.
latest report
@kitenski, That should be about right. Forecast is for spring to be back by then so should be easy driving conditions. It is the first weekend of the Bavarian Easter holidays but the big exodus south should be Friday afternoon / Saturday morning.
snow report
@munich_irish, GFS looking like a possible temp dip with precipitation again....but along way out
ski holidays
@kitenski, 3 hours optimistic I’d suggest unless you are breaking max speed limits in Tirol.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy