Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know how in advance you need to book KK or base camp for 4.30ish?

Anyone have an email address? Or what reservation system do they use?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When we were there the weekend before last, we didn't book the KK but got a table both times we turned up. For Basecamp we reserved 24 hours in advance i.e. when we were there the day before.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dreary, soggy morning. A long breakfast awaits. The forecast suggests the rain might clear this afternoon, so maybe head out then to ski some mashed potatoes.

The skiing yesterday morning was very good. I guess you could call the fresh snow “powder”, though it was nothing like “Utah Smoke”, more like Aussie powder, but it was still fun to ski. The snow turned to invisible rain around 2pm - the sort of rain you don’t actually see as falling drops, but gets your gear and goggles wet. The 3pm bus smelled like a wet dog.

Update @9:20am: widespread lift closures or, more to the point, many have not yet opened. Not clear why. Av Risk remains 3. Pistes too soaked to be safe? There did not seem to be that much rain overnight, though it is very warm on the mountain. Imminent storm? Nothing in the forecast?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 17-02-22 9:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kantha wrote:
When we were there the weekend before last, we didn't book the KK but got a table both times we turned up. For Basecamp we reserved 24 hours in advance i.e. when we were there the day before.

Thanks v much
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ulmerhutte, there is a big storm over central Europe winds up to 160km/h (though those speeds more towards the North Sea). I would assume wind at altitude is too high to safely run the lifts. Winds due to remain strong for the next few days though perhaps not as much as today.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First sentence of the today ZAMG forecast for Vorarlberg and Tirol:
“Sehr mild und teils stürmisch”
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
@ulmerhutte, there is a big storm over central Europe winds up to 160km/h (though those speeds more towards the North Sea). I would assume wind at altitude is too high to safely run the lifts. Winds due to remain strong for the next few days though perhaps not as much as today.

Thanks. I was just chatting to a local friend, and he said that the winds on the tops were 70+ km/hr. Given your update, no surprise the upper mountain lifts are closed.

Just came back from shopping (may as well get the chores done). The lower slopes of Galzig and Nasserein are a veritable exploded ant’s nest of scurrying black spots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow forecast over the weekend though still fairly high winds
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kantha wrote:

You were lucky !!

As I explained earlier if you want to be in KK or Moose the current rulees apply untill at least March 5th Get there at 15:00 ...

https://www.mooserwirt.at/en/contact/info-covid-reservations/

The Relaxations have been purposely delayed until after Fasching/Carnival School Holidays ...

From 5 March:

Most of the measures will lapse, no longer a 3-G rule and the general mask obligation and distance rules will also be abolished in Austria.

Night Horeca (Hotel Resturant Catering) possible again.

No more closing time for the catering industry

FFP2 mask requirement will continue to apply in certain places, such as public transport, nursing homes and the pharmacy. This is to protect the vulnerable target group.

NOTE : Ski Lifts are classified as Public Transport

The Situation with Apres Ski AFAIK is still being Clarified i.e What is allowed & what is Not ...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

Currently WindGusts

Osthang 90km/hr
Valluga 95Km/hr

Monday

Heavy Snow but also up 90km/hr wind

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tonight on ORF 3 20:!5

"Land der Berge" mit den "Ski-Legenden vom Arlberg"

https://tv.orf.at/program/orf3/landderber502.html

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/land-der-berge-mit-den-ski-legenden-vom-arlberg_a5163568

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spring skiing today. Icy surface freeze first thing in the morning, followed by slush bumps in the afternoon. It is warm!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cold Front Monday...

SNOW !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The storm hit around 8am. Most of StA closed. Maybe 10cm so far and gale force winds.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still dumping this morning ...

Should clear during the morning ..

Limited lifts for the time being ..

February Crowds really bad time to book Wintersporters vacations ..... Spend a lot of money and do very little vertical ....

More snow dust Friday ...

Apres Ski starts again March 5th ...

Everywhere is deperately looking for staff.. for the last few weeks of operations..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The app is reporting 60cm (was 270cm, now 330cm) over 24hours. Does not feel like that much, but regardless there is some great skiing to be had.

Private ego powder (new snow on groomers) on a closed Osthang Einfahrt. Fun sport in Zwischen.

As of 12:20, the storm has not yet cleared. Some patches of broken sunlight periodically, and then replaced by more snow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
The app is reporting 60cm (was 270cm, now 330cm) over 24hours. Does not feel like that much...

@ulmerhutte, I guess it all depends on which weather station they're sourcing data from - looking at Bergfex there's quite a variation in actual measured depths depending on location

Based on 1 mm of precip ~= 1cm of snow...

St Anton 24hr=8mm 48hr=13mm https://www.bergfex.com/tirol/wetter/stationen/stanton-arlberg/

Galzig 24hr=20mm 48hr=35mm
https://www.bergfex.com/tirol/wetter/stationen/galzig/

Warth 24hr=34mm 48hr=41mm
https://www.bergfex.com/vorarlberg/wetter/stationen/warth/
snow report
@geoffers, quite a difference between Bergflex and the Arlberg app! I understand the app is reporting the Galzig figures- but it does not specify from where it sources the data.

Just going on feeling, there is maybe 40cm of fresh on the Galzig over 24 hours.

Weather has cleared somewhat and Osthang & Zammermoos are now spinning.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 22-02-22 18:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The typical big Arlberg snowfall approx. stops at the line Galzig-Valluga.
Kapall and Rendl don’t get those depths.
ski holidays
Up on Rendl today and conditions were superb. Queue at base to get up as other lift options were limited this morning but once up there it was brilliant.
snow report
Next Week... Full ON Sunscreen Weather
latest report
Managed to get a room for the weekend Very Happy looks as if the sun is going to be out after a small top up over the next 24 hours Very Happy
ski holidays
Pretty much empty pistes, pretty much perfect conditions Very Happy Prices seem to have gone up €11 for water & cappucino at Base Camp!
ski holidays
Powder morning!
snow conditions
@munich_irish,

Probably the most expensive place in Town..

I did hear after the initial opening weeks just as the Xmas Holidays started they put 0.50cents on all drinks ..

Beer is way over €7 .00 and I heard it's 0.4L disguised in 0.5l glasses so the tip is to buy 0.3 l bier which they can't disquisee. ..or better off just avoid any places on the Hill..
ski holidays
A really good weekend in St Anton, today was busier though not crazily so. The only real queue was for the Nassereinbahn this morning, the pistes were not particularly busy. Snow stayed good as it was cold even if sunny. Masks seem to be slowly on the way out, only used them in gondolas, though most people wore them in lift queues. Given the lack of snow in the forecast not sure how long it will be before typical spring conditions appear with the piles of wet sugar on the home runs.

Saw a couple of heli rescues, one late morning with someone being choppered off Mattun on the slope just below the hut. I know that it is the quickest and most efficient method but I really dont fancy hanging hundreds of meters in the air on a bit of string below a helicopter. The other was a bit odd, on the blue run just below the Gampen restaurant. It was a complete innocuous flat piste with good snow. It must have been fairly serious as the piste patrol had cordoned off part of the run, a while later saw the chopper heading down with a stretcher strapped to the side. Not good, I guess it must have been a collision, hope who ever it was is OK.
snow report
Stunningly beautiful day. Bluebird. No wind. Alas, insane crowds - memories of Fasching in prior seasons. On N’Bahn, the escalator was stopped, presumably because the platform was full. The slope-side stairs were backed up to the stairs up from the street.

Staying off piste and enjoying some great snow and solitude!
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, it was the same yesterday, clambering up the escalator is a bit of a pain, but the crowds seemed to dissipate by lunchtime. Enjoy the sunshine Smile
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, thats interesting, any idea where the crowds are coming from as half term is over across most of Europe if I understand correctly?
snow report
@kitenski, ever heard of Carnaval (in Austria: Fasching)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, its Bavarian half term week, I guess other places too. Always difficult to tell but got the impression there were lots of Dutch & Belgian folk in town.
snow report
@munich_irish, thanks!
ski holidays
Yep, Fasching, also Dutch holidays.This week is the worst lift lines, most crowded, since the infamous lift lines of the 1980s, in my explerience. Also, the restaurants, both mountain and downtown, are crammed. What a difference from Jan.
But brilliant skiing, blue skies and low temps.
snow conditions
It’s not that difficult: Carnaval/Fasching is a major holiday for all catholics.
Meaning: South-Netherlands, Belgium, Mid and Southern Germany, Austria, parts of Switzerland, Italy.

North-Netherlands was last week.

The “Hamburg-weeks” are important too. In general these are early/mid March
snow conditions
davidthornton wrote:
Yep, Fasching, also Dutch holidays.This week is the worst lift lines, most crowded, since the infamous lift lines of the 1980s, in my explerience. Also, the restaurants, both mountain and downtown, are crammed. What a difference from Jan.
But brilliant skiing, blue skies and low temps.

Too true on the quiet of January. It is a mellow time to be here. I also actually love the short days - it feels like proper winter.

I started skiing in StA in 2002, so no experience of the “infamous lift lines of the 1980s”, but many memories of what it was like in my early days. The newer, higher capacity lifts have mitigated the worst of the queue wait times - kudos at the lift co for making the necessary investments.

Queues now are generally much better behaved - I can remember a lot of argy-bargy in the queues for the old Galzigbahn, particularly at the start of the stairs, and the Rauz t-bar, particularly at the end of the day.

We avoid the mountain restaurants at lunchtime, preferring to have a very early lunch, with a coffee stop later in the afternoon. If we go out for dinner - which admittedly is rare - we tend to head out of town. Much more relaxed. Discovered a fabulous restaurant a few days ago in a quiet part of St Jakob: Tenne https://www.tenne-stanton.at/das-restaurant?lang=en Well worth a visit.
ski holidays
I remember lift lines at one time being unruly with shoving and pushing, not just St A, but also particularly at Solaise and La Daille in Val D'Isere, where once I saw two separate small groups set about each other.
I think one of the reasons that it is more civilised now is that the lift stations channel people in established lines, fence lines and entrance gates.
Certainly seems a more relaxed atmosphere when lining up.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Stunningly beautiful day. Bluebird. No wind. Alas, insane crowds - memories of Fasching in prior seasons. On N’Bahn, the escalator was stopped, presumably because the platform was full. The slope-side stairs were backed up to the stairs up from the street.

Staying off piste and enjoying some great snow and solitude!

I am in Lech this week and have explored from Lech to Warth thus far. All the off piste I can see appears to be tracked out. Is it still good on the St Anton side? Really hoping we get some snow before I have to head home.
snow conditions
@manshur, finding unspoiled spots in general is easier in Lech-Zürs than in St.Anton. But its a busy period (to put it mildly), and last snowfall already some time ago
You'll gonna need a guide to find untracked spots.
And sorry, you can forget about snowfall, it's gonna stay sunny for another week at least. Enjoy the sun!
snow conditions
Thanks @langerzug. I'll keep my eyes open in L/Z and just continue to enjoy the mild sunny weather and beautiful scenery...
snow conditions
@manshur, as ever anything easily accessible in St Anton was tracked out by Saturday lunchtime. If you want untracked snow now you will need a guide and probably touring skis.
snow report
In most of the mountain restaurants here (Arlberg) forced air hand driers in the washrooms are disconnected: is this energy saving in view of the Ukraine crisis?
Hand paper towels are available.
ski holidays
davidthornton wrote:
In most of the mountain restaurants here (Arlberg) forced air hand driers in the washrooms are disconnected: is this energy saving in view of the Ukraine crisis?
Hand paper towels are available.

I think it is because “science” said that those dryers will blow nasty covid germs all over the washroom!

Today was a classic, early spring day in the Arlberg. Bluebird. Little wind. Cool in the morning, but warm sun later on. A joy to ski.

@manshur… in reality, your best bet for post-storm, relatively untracked, or lightly tracked snow, is either Sonnenkopf and, but to a lesser extent, Warth. Both have significant north-facing aspects. I was in Sonnenkopf yesterday, ie over a week after the last snowfall on 25 Feb. If you were prepared to traverse a bit, there were plenty of untracked lines to be found within sight of the piste. In Warth today, there were some possibilities on the Wartherhorn, but it was more a case of lightly tracked, versus untracked. In Lech, Zürs, and St Anton anything that is visible from a lift, and within the abilities of a moderately competent offpiste skier, is done by lunchtime of the morning after a storm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy