Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
First foggy morning in a week. Skiing has thus far been most enjoyable. Bluebird days. The pistes are fast, ie hard but not ice. There are pockets of north-facing offpiste that still hold good snow, albeit tracked. The south facing offpiste is a write-off. Frozen crud. Like skiing on a gravel road or worse.

A decent snow fall is predicted for Thursday. That will be welcome.

Anecdotally, ie I have not seen actual numbers, covid case numbers are falling in St Anton.

Rodel nights and the ski show are not happening, probably for the whole season.

I mentioned above that a tunnel was built under Nasserein piste for the 2004 Men’s Downhill, to allow skiers from the west end of the resort to get to Nasserein base. Apparently that tunnel still exists, so it may be resurrected for the Eurocup race at the end of the month.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ulmerhutte, How’s the snow holding up? We arrive on Sunday (as long as we negotiate this week without Covid) and note that whilst cold, there’s not much snow in the forecast!

Wanting to get excited, but getting really nervous about being fit to travel!! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah I was looking at forecast, snow is looking very sketchy over next 2 weeks Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is some snow forecast later this week and maybe some more over the following days

https://wxcharts.com/?panel=default&model=gfs,gfs,gfs,gfs&region=alps&chart=winteroverview,850temp,2mtemp,2mtemp&run=00&step=204&plottype=10&lat=47.131&lon=10.276&skewtstep=0
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmy T, The pistes are in good condition. Fast, but complete cover. The off is a mixed bag, as you might expect this early in the season. You will be fine. Plenty to enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick question please - preparing for my first trip to Arlberg region next week - regarding showing proof of vaccinations - Is it sufficient to just show the barcode and expiry part only?
Was planning to sticking this part only to my helmet to save faffing around with paper / phone etc
Any feedback appreciated - thank you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:
@stanton, I have no inside info to confirm / deny the truth of your version of the bus/parking issue, but it does not make sense to me. To say that the lift co is short of staff because of a lack of free staff parking does not pass the sniff test. There are excellent free bus services from the outlying villages, as you would know if you consulted the St Anton website, which mitigates the need for personal car use.

IT is a lot more complex than that Im afraid....

These lifties/Restuarant/TicketBooth employees (admittedly some live at the main lift stations all season) have to be at work at 07:00 or even earlier .... Getting 100's of employees on the first public Bus will not work...

When I said further than Landeck.. Many come up daily from Innsbruck !!....

These Lifties do not just clear snow & smoke cigarettes Happy ....Some are Qualified Technical people who have to be on site (Gondolas,Cable Cars)... Many of these have been CV sick as well ...Without them they close down !!

Using your own transportation (car sharing) to get to & from Work would solve a lot of this ... Employees dont want to be getting up at 04:00 to go to work .. Lifts start operating with Tied employees is not good idea ....

The employee problems are in every major ski area ....

Check this over in Lech...

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=66327

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Austrian Vax Status

Currently 30% of the population is not Vaxed and are unlikely to be vaxed ...

I dont think any minds will be changed

despite todays ruling (mandate)

Two prominent Lawyers AKA "Corona Lawyers" want to take action against the planned vaccination obligation with a Referendum. They already have early 10000 signatures in a few hours ...100K is needed

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

St Anton 17.1 249 Active Positive Cases
Pettneu 17.1 40 Active Positive Cases
Innsbruck 17.1 2193 Active Positive Cases

Record Numbers in Tirol recorded today....and Apres Ski (seated) is directly linked to this.......

We could be seeing Earlier closing times (4pm) coming very soon if numbers continue to climb .......

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

The Cows are forecasting moderate POW from Thursday/Friday/Saturday ....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dippy, don’t know. Just about everyone is using the phone app. Try your approach, but have the phone as a backup.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ulmerhutte wrote:
@Dippy, don’t know. Just about everyone is using the phone app. Try your approach, but have the phone as a backup.

Which phone app? I’ve been told that “Green Pass” is the preferred one?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmy T wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Which phone app? I’ve been told that “Green Pass” is the preferred one?

That’s the one. Was geo-locked up until recently, but that restriction seems to have been removed, at least for Australia. I downloaded it around the start of January.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ulmerhutte, Thank you - have passes saved in apple wallet and laminated as well!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That app only seems to accept "EU-compliant" certificates. Which, as an American, we haven't been issued. Are Americans using the CDC card successfully? Is there a way to get a CDC card converted to "EU compliance" in Austria? I've seen you can do it, I think, in Germany. But I won't be in Germany.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sibhusky, I have seen the following suggested (might have been by @ulmerhutte, ). Make a cancellable booking for a Swiss hotel. Use that booking to apply for a Swiss "green pass". This is accepted Europe wide. Cancel Swiss hotel booking. Yes you can get a German certificate issued with an American certificate but you need to be physically in the country to do so.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did exactly what @munich_irish suggested. We were originally flying into Zürich, so easy. We used a hotel we usually use as our Swiss address. Submitted our Australian certificate and CHF30 and they returned a Swiss cert, which is also compatible with the Grünerpass.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:
@sibhusky, I have seen the following suggested (might have been by @ulmerhutte, ). Make a cancellable booking for a Swiss hotel. Use that booking to apply for a Swiss "green pass". This is accepted Europe wide. Cancel Swiss hotel booking. Yes you can get a German certificate issued with an American certificate but you need to be physically in the country to do so.

This is an example of the shortcomings of the covid travel regs. An official at ZRH told me that there are counterfeit certs and that these come mostly from Austria. On another occasion a Turkish travel agent told me that he could get docs including Passenger Locator forms that can be acquired for 35 Euros.
ski holidays
@davidthornton, that’s nothing new, there are people all over the U.K. with fake ID’s drinking under age, fake TV dongles, and I’m sure Covid passes will be no different. it’s a sad fact that some people will always find a way to get around rules/ tech for their own gain, and there’s always criminal opportunists ready to make money at the expense of the majority who know how to behave. rolling eyes
snow report
We are not talking about fake certificates here (though they exist), this is simply a case of getting a Euro QR code (which is a pretty indispensable part of life at the moment) for someone who lives outside Europe with a valid vaccination certificate. The Swiss will check the certificate you send in is valid. You can do exactly the same thing in pharmacies here in Germany, though much easier in a busy city centre or airport one. No dodgy travel agents involved.
snow conditions
Looking at the webcams it seems very quiet in the Arlberg - is that the case from folks out there now?
ski holidays
Yep..was in St Anton yesterday with a mate…very quiet and the snow cover on & off piste was much poorer than further west in Montafon where we are both based and mostly ski..
ski holidays
No lift queues, plenty of room on the pistes, quiet restaurants. Several hotels are closed up. Great for skiers, dreadful for hoteliers and guest house owners.
ski holidays
St Anton was quiet yesterday; Warth/Schröcken were almost deserted. The most people we saw was at the Ruffi cable car in the afternoon… probably my fellow StA’ers heading home. Very Happy

@davidthornton, I hope you are not linking what I did with the Swiss cert to the forgeries of which you speak. What I did was perfectly legit. Switzerland recognises the Australian vax certificate and, coupled with evidence including passport, they convert it to a Swiss certificate. The Swiss cert is recognised by the Grünerpass. Our original routing took us into/out of Zürich, with 2 nights there at the end. Hope that clarifies.
ski holidays
It is a quiet week indeed. We've skied to Lech two days ago when it was snowy in the morning and few folks were to be seen. But yesterday was sunny and there was a tiny queue at the new (and awesome) Madloch lift. The pists are hard, from my window in St. Anton I could see the snow cannons working at night
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
St Anton was quiet yesterday; Warth/Schröcken were almost deserted. The most people we saw was at the Ruffi cable car in the afternoon… probably my fellow StA’ers heading home. Very Happy

@davidthornton, I hope you are not linking what I did with the Swiss cert to the forgeries of which you speak. What I did was perfectly legit. Switzerland recognises the Australian vax certificate and, coupled with evidence including passport, they convert it to a Swiss certificate. The Swiss cert is recognised by the Grünerpass. Our original routing took us into/out of Zürich, with 2 nights there at the end. Hope that clarifies.

Certainly not. Just relaying recent experiences with the Covid doc situ. As has been pointed out subsequently, my observation is not surprising. Apologises for inference, if any, on your integrity.
snow conditions
sentry wrote:
No lift queues, plenty of room on the pistes, quiet restaurants. Several hotels are closed up. Great for skiers, dreadful for hoteliers and guest house owners.

Yes, it's great to think of quiet pistes and maybe some untracked powder soon... but it comes at a cost Sad
snow conditions
Iglu are selling Half-board trips to Austria at around £500. France is £1000+

Just wished I could get the time away from home to go!
ski holidays
@davidthornton, no worries! Thank you! Happy

Yet another bluebird day in StA. Lifts and slopes very quiet - almost feels like late spring.

Prep for the Eurocup is progressing at a pace. Have not been over to Kapall, but from the Galzig it looks like large sections of the course have been fenced off.
latest report
It looks like essentially weeks of bluebirds with very little snow, high pressure is dominating across Europe.
ski holidays
Madloch ski route 171 was rather icy on its middle section, the 173 route to Lech had frozen small moguls as expected but it still gets you directly to the Spar Madeye-Smiley

In Lech and Warth most of the pistes are rather empty, at the self service restaurant at Salober they checked for the QR code and further asked for an ID, while in the evening at Dorfstube restaurant on the main street the patron didn't bother to ask and was just happy to have customers..
Big queues waiting to be seated at Mooserwirt and Base Camp after 16. At least they were scanning the passes. At Base Camp service is only at the tables, no seating at the bar
Didn't bother to go, too tight for comfort

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing lightly this morning. The deck looks like it has been dusted with icing sugar. The webcams suggest it is snowing much more heavily in Oberlech.

More snow would be welcome, though the pistes are largely in good condition, albeit it firm/fast. An exception: the Zürsertali head wall was liberally sprinkled with stones. A less than desirable way of adding structure to your bases.
ski holidays
Snow looks to be set in for the day at St.A. poor vis. Accessible off piste is tracked. With a guide, some nice tours possible.
snow report
Still snowing gently this morning, but our deck suggests only 2 or 3cm came down overnight. Hard to say what was the 24hr total, but I am guessing maybe 10 - 15cm.

It is certainly cold this morning. -18C on the Valluga.

Black Nasserein is now fenced off. It is possible to get to Nasserein base via Hoppelweg.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, where did you manage to ski yesterday early afternoon?
I foolishly got stuck in the area of Zammermoos and Tanzboden. The visibility was none and I could hardly go from sign to sign on black 58 and then I was happy to be able to enter the closed unbashed blue 56 55. Whiteout all the way, i was having a hard time noticing the piste signs.
On hindsight, I should have turned left and ski down to Alpe Rauz and take a bus.
Blue 50 was crowded but never before in my life was I happier to meet civilization and see other skiers. Embarassed

latest report
@drporat, I actually spent most of the afternoon in the same area - lapping Kandahar, Osthang, and Tanzböden. Yeah, visibility was non-existent at the top. Full on IMC conditions. Very Happy

I sympathise with you. I have had some truly scary runs here in zero visibility, not being able to see from pole to pole.

This morning has been fabulous. So nice to get on fresh snow.
snow report
Amazing place. Interesting day. On my way to Kandahar.

latest report
@drporat, The area to the east of the Arlberg pass (Galzig, the areas you mention & the runs down to the Arlenmähderbahn chair) seem particularly prone to low visibility. I understand it is caused by moist air funnelling down the Klöstertal and being forced upwards when it hits the pass and forming clouds, the most common wind direction is from the west hence it is a regular occurrence. Many times there will be pretty much zero visibility on Galzig but perfect blue ski at Rendl.

Just had a look at the webcams, the 15:40 one looking across to the ski area (seems to be run by the local electricity company) shows this perfectly, thick cloud spilling over Galzig with the lower slopes and further down the Stanzertal clear. It has been like that pretty much all day.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 21-01-22 15:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@munich_irish, thanks, will check it out the next time. Maybe even tomorrow
snow conditions
@drporat, Hopefully snow all day tomorrow everywhere Very Happy
snow conditions
Some very enjoyable fresh snow today. In the trees…

Bone-chilling cold. It did not get above -12C on the Galzig.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@drporat, The area to the east of the Arlberg pass (Galzig, the areas you mention & the runs down to the Arlenmähderbahn chair) seem particularly prone to low visibility. I understand it is caused by moist air funnelling down the Klöstertal and being forced upwards when it hits the pass and forming clouds, the most common wind direction is from the west hence it is a regular occurrence. Many times there will be pretty much zero visibility on Galzig but perfect blue ski at Rendl.

Just had a look at the webcams, the 15:40 one looking across to the ski area (seems to be run by the local electricity company) shows this perfectly, thick cloud spilling over Galzig with the lower slopes and further down the Stanzertal clear. It has been like that pretty much all day.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. It is something I have observed many times, but never thought to dig deeper. Makes logical sense.
snow report
Get down in the Trees (where it not illegal €€€€€€ rolling eyes rolling eyes )

http://youtube.com/v/Hv0Lf6Wo73U
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy