Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, and @kitenski, thanks. Will try to not disappoint!

Currently sitting in Dubai. 6 hours into Wien and then another 6 on the train. Long journey. Travel via Singapore is much easier, but having had covid recently, we did not want to risk blowing the mandatory PCR test for SIA.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reasonable snowfall in Progress this morning..

Avalanche control

Schindler and Valluga1&2 remain closed (covid sickness)for how long no one knoe

Other higher lifts will be late starters today or maybe tomorrow...

Town is very quiet .....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ulmerhutte, good luck with the documentation and the various QR codes.
Arrived in Zurich yesterday and it seems as though the officials don't know what docs to check. In the end the only acceptable one was the small card that you get when first vaxed.
Advice, make sure you travel with it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think he's already left home.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sibhusky, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any reports of what’s actually open in St Anton? Cafés/restaurants/outside bars? What’s available up on the mountain? Just trying to gauge what to expect in a couple of weeks Eh oh!Eh oh!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timmy T, you will have to wait and see. Exactly today is the start of the low-season.
Christmas/New Years have been busy, and quite ‘normal’.
But Omikron is very present in Austria too, and even more so in skiresorts. Lack of staff is a major issue in hotels, restaurants and skilifts.
Up to a couple of days ago there were big rumours about a new lockdown from January 10, but this is not happening.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidthornton wrote:
@ulmerhutte, good luck with the documentation and the various QR codes.
Arrived in Zurich yesterday and it seems as though the officials don't know what docs to check. In the end the only acceptable one was the small card that you get when first vaxed.
Advice, make sure you travel with it.

We put our Australian covid vax certs on the IATA pass app and it could not have been easier. Checked on check-in at Melbourne and again at Wein. No questions, no quizzical, raised eyebrows. Just a smile and an enjoy your skiing comment. So far, so good.

Now for the 6 hour train ride to StA!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, one of the greatest feelings…getting off the Railjet in St Anton. Have fun, very envious.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, Thanks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
when are the current restrictions to be re assessed. Is there any indication of when that might happen.? Also are hotels curfew-ed to 10pm also?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mcg, there is currently no definitive answer to that question. There have been various media rumours but nothing beyond that. The current regulations run until the end of January and will need to be officially renewed at that point. I think unlikely there will be any significant changes before the end of the ski season ie apres very unlikely to happen this season at all. The biggest issue currently (as in many places) is the number of people off sick which is affecting both hospitality and also ski infrastructure.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mcg, there was a review last friday. Cool Result: no real changes, only stricter controls.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick update… arrived to fresh snow in the village. Nasserein streets still covered in snow, albeit latte-coloured. Our hosts and friends thought maybe 10 - 15cm of new.

It is cold!!! -9C @ the Village at 7:30am.

We will settle in and start skiing tomorrow. Got our shopping to do, and I am getting new skis. Probably the SR95 or SR102 - will demo both. Still feeling wrecked from 36 hours of travelling, so it would not be smart to go out anyway.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ulmerhutte, well done for managing to get out of Australia, getting in seems to be another issue Very Happy
ski holidays
mcg wrote:
when are the current restrictions to be re assessed. Is there any indication of when that might happen.? Also are hotels curfew-ed to 10pm also?

Hotel Bars have to close as well....

Drinks in rooms only..

Restuarants etc (which are open ) do last orders for food around 21:30...... as everyone out at 22:00hrs

Apres Ski forget about it this season but you can still get wasted at the Moose/KK etc sitting down until 20:00hrs (low background music)

Today great sliding to be had on vitally empty slopes..
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@ulmerhutte, well done for managing to get out of Australia, getting in seems to be another issue Very Happy

Especially if you are a tennis player!

Apparently quite a few people went home this weekend gone… I guess that it not unusual, for it marks the end of the Sylvester holiday season for many. That said, unsurprisingly, it has been a very quiet holiday season by normal standards.

Next challenge: getting a season pass, with validity through to the end of the season. We are triple-vaxed and have a certificate of recovery, so it should be okay, but…
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
That said, unsurprisingly, it has been a very quiet holiday season by normal standards.

This appears to differ substantially among resorts. Lech was virtually fully booked over Christmas/NY.
snow report
Update on Season Pass… straightforward with Grünerpass, assuming you are 2G. Showed them the pass on the app and the ticket was issued (well, after selling your firstborn to raise funds).

AFAIK, with 2G there is no limit on the period of validity, ie no need to recertify/update your vax status, assuming that does not take you outside the 9-month maximum since your second shot.

Nothing much to add to the situation with apres, etc. All been said in earlier posts. On the mountain, the police have apparently been checking vax status on entrance to the Galzig and Gampen restaurants. Will confirm tomorrow.

Lightly snowing tonight.
ski holidays
Stunningly beautiful day, especially on Rendl, which was in sunshine for pretty much the whole day. The other side was under a layer of thin, low cloud for much of the day. The cloud tops were at about 2200m.

The pistes were fast and the lower ones were covered by man-made. The guns were going all day in the places where it was cool enough. It looked like there was maybe 10cm of fresh on the side-piste, but being Day 1 we did not venture in. Overall, good cover, but many sketchy areas, especially near the bottom of the Gampen.

On the Gampen side, quite a few pistes had not yet been formed / groomed. Lack of snow or personnel (or ABB rebuilding their balance sheet by cutting costs)?

There were more people on piste than I expected, but no lift lines. To be sure, it is quiet by StA norms, but not deserted.

At the Rendl and Galzig restaurants, there were security guys scanning people’s 2G certs. Inside Rendl, there were signs on each table requiring you to check in and out. Seemed to be honoured more in the breach than the acceptance.

Skied past Mooser: very quiet, but open. Did not stop. Fangbar and 1 or 2 others were closed. Not sure if it was just for the day or longer.
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, well done for completing an epic journey during epic times, and ardous circumstances.
Don't mean the run down from Rendl BTW!
Here in Switz, Graubunden, snow cover excellent, powder off piste last two days. Pistes deserted, super skiing.
snow report
@davidthornton, Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

On the Gampen side, quite a few pistes had not yet been formed / groomed. Lack of snow or personnel (or ABB rebuilding their balance sheet by cutting costs)?

Ah, just like the good old days, with bumps the size of small houses on Kandehar I hope Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@sah, alas, it was polished ice, with piles of scraped snow in between, at the end of the day.

It was exactly what my tired legs did not want, especially having just swapped from demo-ing the Stöckli SR95 to the SR102. The latter is a fantastic ski, and I bet it goes well in powder, but I think I will go with the SR95. Better as a 1-ski quiver ski, at least for me.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
@sah, alas, it was polished ice, with piles of scraped snow in between, at the end of the day.

It was exactly what my tired legs did not want, especially having just swapped from demo-ing the Stöckli SR95 to the SR102. The latter is a fantastic ski, and I bet it goes well in powder, but I think I will go with the SR95. Better as a 1-ski quiver ski, at least for me.

Not tried Stocklis for a long time, but as a 1 ski quiver 95s would be my choice. I have some 108mm K2s, they're fine but unless it's soft and deep all day they're hard work so I rarely use them, I usually ski 98mm Blizzards but if/when I change I'd probably go slightly narrower.
snow report
Fanghouse has been closed for the last week due to Covid (staff)

Should be open again soon

Expect a lot more closures ..in coming days
Busnneses not conforming ...
snow conditions
Which restaurants/cafes in town are open, or, if easier, which are closed? Thks anybody.
latest report
Does anyone have recent experience of Stuben too? Is Willi's open, and the pizzeria under the Hotel Arlberg? Google maps shows them as open for business, hopefully this remains the case Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidthornton and @sah… have not yet been along Dorfstrasse or over to Stuben, so cannot give much of a report. Fanghouse is closed, as was the bar near the start of the (usually icy) path up to the Galzig, ie near Alber.

Fangbahn, Valluga 1&2, Schafalp (no Langerzug, unless you go off piste under Ruffi), plus a bunch of “baby lifts” are not currently running.

The new Madlochbahn and Zugerbergbahn lifts are pretty amazing. Seats that are reminiscent of Recaro sports car seats.

Bluebird day. Pistes in great condition. Good, grippy snow. Had a play in a few side-pistes. Those that face roughly north still hold dry snow.
snow report
Another Perfekt Day ..

________________________________________________________________________________--

Meanwhile

There has been some back tracking (in Vienna) on Compulsory Vaccination's ....

Now is being considered ""Vaccination obligation light"" with only a €60 fine so nothing like the previously discussed fines however the schedule will remain as planned an it will start from February 3rd ...

Whatever. it will not change peoples minds...nearly 2 million in Austria believe in Freedom. Very Happy

Update from January 12, 11:07 a.m.:In Austria, the number of new corona infections has reached a record level. Within 24 hours, 17,006 corona cases have been reported, the Health and Interior Ministries said on Wednesday. That's almost twice as much as a week ago. Taking into account the number of inhabitants, the value of new infections in Austria is about twice as high as in Germany. At the same time, the situation in the clinics remained stable. The number of patients in normal and intensive care units fell slightly.

The fifth corona wave particularly affects the federal states of Vienna, Salzburg and Tyrol. The previous maximum number of new infections was documented on 19 November 2021 with 15,800 cases.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Weather

Temperature will fluctuate next 10 days but generally keeping Winter Cold ....

No new Snow .....

Hopefully in February the next round of Major Dumps will be on us ......
ski holidays
For those in Ischgl and St Anton, the outdoor FFP2 mask requirement has bee expanded from today (13/1) for 1 week [translated]:

In Ischgl, the FFP2 mask requirement applies in Dorfstraße, Silvrettaplatz and on the Fimbabahnweg.

The following areas are in St. Anton am Arlberg :

Dorfstraße from the roundabout Hotel / Cafe Sailer (Dorfstraße 4) - pedestrian zone - to the Sparmarkt (Dorfstraße 66)
Connection path Dorfstraße - Hannes Schneider Weg and park area from the roundabout Hotel / Cafe Sailer to the opposite connection path
Hannes Schneiderweg to the junction of connection path / Dorfstraße
Lemmererweg from Dorfstraße 33 to the confluence with Dorfstraße
Underpass pedestrian zone in the direction of the mountain railways (Kandaharweg 15)
Station forecourt including Dr. Otto Schuler Bridge
Rendlbahn forecourt
entire West Bus Terminal
Rendlbahn underpass
Dorfstraße from the West roundabout Landesstraße B197 to the Hotel / Cafe Sailer roundabout (Dorfstraße 4)
Entire roundabout Hotel / Cafe Sailer (Dorfstraße 4)
Kandaharweg from the Sailer roundabout to Kandaharweg 15
Galzigbahn forecourt
Walk to the west of Hotel Anton Kandaharweg 4
Nassereinergasse
East bus terminal
Walk to the East Bus Terminal - Nassereinbahn
Nassereinbahn forecourt

And now I shall go and rearrange some deck chairs on the Titanic rolling eyes
snow report
Speaking of deck chairs and associated silliness:

1. A cattle crush has been established in front of the gates for Valfagehr, creating 2 narrow lanes leading to 2 operating gates. The other 2 gates have been shut-off. So, there is some separation leading to the gates, but business as usual outside the crush lanes and in the load area.

2. Again at Valfagehr, at the entrance to the crush, there is stand with a bottle of disinfectant. Not sure if you are supposed to take off your gloves and do your hands, or is it for your gloves?

3. Floor markings and exhortations to maintain separation in the load area of gondolas… only to have people fill the gondola. N’Bahn this morning was a classic example.

So much theatre. So little logic or science.

Rumour has it that the lift co is short 60+ staff. That probably explains why some lifts are not being run and similarly why not all available pistes have been formed/groomed. That said, with the number of people on the hill, it is not much of problem.

Another bluebird day.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, points 1,2 3 - just like life generally with Covid restrictions. It's a ridiculous world created by headless chickens posing as politicians.
It couldn't be better illustrated by the series of parties/"meetings" enjoyed by govt and officials during the lockdowns, now being exposed.
Poor old Joe Public makes the sacrifices and picks up the bill.
latest report
Hello, so I’m still considering a last minute trip to St Anton at the end of Jan…

Has anyone been in resort during the Europacup before? I saw the Women's European Cup - Downhill is scheduled for January 27th and 28th. Does anyone know which pistes and lifts will be closed to the public?
snow report
@clementineski, I was here in 2004 when the Men’s Downhill was held. A big night in town afterwards because Hermann Maier and Stefan Erberharter were 1 & 2.

I only have the vaguest recollection of the impact on general skiing. I recall a tunnel being built under the Nasserein piste to allow skiers to get from the west end down to the bottom of Nasserein. I doubt that will be done this year. The course started at the top of Kapall, made its way down to the Eisfall, and then into the Zielstadion, so skiing in that part of the world was interrupted.

It looks like the Eisfall has been prepared for racing so I expect the course will be similar to 2004, but possibly starting a little lower.

I don’t recall it being a major bind on our enjoyment - we simply worked around it. It is a big place.
snow report
@davidthornton, For real?! Headless chickens. Ridiculous comment.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:

Rumour has it that the lift co is short 60+ staff. That probably explains why some lifts are not being run and similarly why not all available pistes have been formed/groomed. That said, with the number of people on the hill, it is not much of problem.

Another bluebird day.

Actually this is no joke...

There has been & continuing bust up between the Lift Company & the Gemeinde

The Lift company has been threatening to close the lifts down & still could do

They have to ship (buses) their staff up from Landeck & further away . The Gemeinde will not allow Lift employees to park their own cars (for free) in the town

During Sylvester Week customers were waiting 1.5/2hours in line to buy their Lift Tickets because of the lack of kiosk staff ..

The situation is not resolved ....
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, that's correct.
That is my comment on the race course and not on any staffing issues. Just to be clear.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 15-01-22 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Unfortunately, I also remember the races from the distant past, the "Pylon:" jump at the Kangaroo. Those were the days! Straw bales, etc.
latest report
@stanton, I have no inside info to confirm / deny the truth of your version of the bus/parking issue, but it does not make sense to me. To say that the lift co is short of staff because of a lack of free staff parking does not pass the sniff test. There are excellent free bus services from the outlying villages, as you would know if you consulted the St Anton website, which mitigates the need for personal car use.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy