Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best tunes to ski to?

Poster: A snowHead
I learned to ski in the Caingorms to this tune: INXS: Mystify. Always reminds me of windy Sunday afternoons and moguls.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Repeat but why not?

Soft spring bumps - Marvin Gaye, Sexual Healing

When you have 2 minutes to get to a lift before closing that is 3 minutes away- The Damned, New Rose
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just before the cable car docks - Gorillaz, Dare
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Belting down a motorway piste with few around - Word of Mouth (Mike and the Mechanics).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zip, nada, nothing for me.

Love the silence.

And Glenn Plake agrees, so it's settled Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have never skied to music. Today in the lift line, some zoomer had a backpack with a wireless speaker blasting music. Not my thing. But if you must, then I recommend trying this tune to ski to. Get back to us afterwards and let us know how it went.

http://youtube.com/v/X9hWqa4xxZY
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Duplicate post
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some tunes remind me of particular ski trips, either listened to them in the car driving to the hill each day or were playing on the race piste PA when training.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the sound of silence - As in nothing atall
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing for me although a recall a mountain restaurant in Livigno constantly blasting out “Who’s Zooming Who” by Aretha Franklin. You could hear it all over the hill and even now, years later, whenever I hear that I’m transported instantly to the mountains.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Toadman wrote:
I have never skied to music. Today in the lift line, some zoomer had a backpack with a wireless speaker blasting music. Not my thing.

Nor mine. Don't like the idea of ear phones either. But when everything is working right I do sing to myself - sometimes out loud , when zinging along. And in the days I skied off-piste there was always Teddy Bears Picinic when I was having trouble getting a rhythm going Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did go around with earphones in a couple of days when I was by myself, but it didn't really improve on the experience of being in the mountains.

Now I rely on earworms. 'Loser' or 'Lord Only Knows' by Beck conjure up afternoons carving along the wide motorway pistes of VT in the spring sunshine, when I had those tunes running through my head almost constantly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing. I prefer the silence. But if I had to choose, it would definitely be music by Tangerine Dream.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing for me. Just the sound of the skis gliding.

One of my mates was late from getting his daughter from the nursery one ski trip, so he stuck on the ski Sunday theme tune and off he went. He arrived at the nursery with a dislocated shoulder.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing. I don't go to the mountains for the sound of music.
latest report
Nada for me
latest report
Nothing for me. I love the quiet hum when on a chairlift and the swish of the skis on the snow. However, i do also enjoy whatever euro pop the liftie has on.

Isn't is dangerous to have ear phones in when skiing?
snow report
Nothing- just as dangerous as cycling with earphones. I'm a bad enough skier to need 100% concentration on what I'm doing.
snow conditions
This argument has been had many times before. It's no more dangerous than driving to music provided you can see where you're going. People who are always faffing and fretting about who is coming up behind them are a menace, apt to change course without warning. The downhill skier should hold their course and ski predictably - up to the overtaking skier to keep clear. Like sailing. I like to ski to music when I'm on my own. It's especially good on long cold drag lifts. Skiing with a backpack blasting out music is unforgiveable though. I don't inflict my choice of music on anyone else.
latest report
Brown Eyed Girl (cover), Winter Park. I was skiing there the same weekend as the national US para championships. Live band blasting out, blue sky, skiing down to catch the ski train back to Denver. Fab snow. Such a cheery and uplifting end to the ski day.
snow report
Don't listen to music, but I do do-do-doo the themes to Indiana Jones and Police Academy to help me feel brave on tricky bits.
snow conditions
Music and skiing don't mix for me.

I listen intently when I listen to music. So I wouldn't be able to focus on my skiing.

I do listen to music when I drive though. To take the boredom away on long drives. But if skiing got so boring that I need to listen to music, I'd choose a different hobby.
ski holidays
Another one in the music and skiing don't mix category - but for me this song will always conjure up skiing

http://youtube.com/v/Ln31raI2ezY
ski holidays
Hurdy wrote:
... Isn't is dangerous to have ear phones in when skiing?
Ask my deaf mates? If you're relying on your ears, then unless I'm actually singing when I pass you, you won't know I'm there. You have to look to see, like with cycling or even walking about.

Tunes? 100% of the time at resorts, for me. It's all personal taste, but I like it noisy.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
It's no more dangerous than driving to music provided you can see where you're going.

Illegal to drive with headphones in France isn't it?
snow report
The swish from skiing through a good layer of surface hoar.
latest report
Quote:

I have no idea. Also illegal to drive with a lot less alcohol in the bloodstream than a lot of skiers - much more dangerous than listening to music in terms of loss of judgement. If I'm listening to music in the car, and the road is snowy/icy, I would always switch off and open the window a bit, as I find any hint of loss of traction can be sensed best by hearing it. But generally, like everyone else, I drive with the windows closed. With your own wind and road noise (especially in the kind of fairly basic cars I drive) you will hear very little that is useful from traffic behind you. I have never felt that listening to music makes me a danger to myself or anyone else on the slopes. Indeed, it puts me in a calmer and more tolerant mood and, when visibility or conditions are a bit difficult, helps me to ski rhythmically, which is a help to other faster slope users coming down behind me. So far (touch wood) in many years of skiing, and even more years of driving, I've not damaged any other vehicles or people.
ski holidays
Just the small sounds of the wind and skis on snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in the 80's i used to listen to my walkman (copy) and my favourite song to ski to was 'Here comes the Sun' for me it had a lovely rhythm to ski to. Now I don't ski with any music, although I may sing here comes the sun on occasion just for old times sake...
snow conditions
https://www.thelocal.fr/20150618/french-drivers-banned-from-using-earphones

Includes cycling but no mention of skiing.
ski holidays
Nothing for me. Detracts from my all round experience.

You could miss hearing a cry for help if you have buds in.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I have no idea ... So far (touch wood) in many years of skiing, and even more years of driving, I've not damaged any other vehicles or people.
I was gobsmacked the other day to be told that "eating your lunch at your desk" has been illegal in France for years according to the UK press.
Bless them, I guess they don't get out much. I was responsible for a start-up in Paris and we pretty much always.... ate at our desks, same as
you would in the UK. We also spoke English and took no notice of the EU "working time directive".

Driving with headphones: France is probably same of the rest of the world, including the UK on this.
Which is that it's not specifically illegal, but you would probably find it hard to pass a driving test wearing
headphones or listening to my car's sound system play Motörhead and maximum volume.
If you were proven to have caused damage as a consequence of either you'd possibly have a "negligence" civil problem.
... but then you would be unwise to rely on your hearing as it don't work for cyclists or electric vehicles...
Some "evidence" from a UK comic.

If music's going to make you negligent, don't listen to it.

I don't use headphones in the back country because I need to listen to the snowpack (for "whumphs"),
my buddies and the radio. I use electronic in-ear ear-defenders to protect against heli noise,
but those are clever so they allow those other sounds through.
wink
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
pam w wrote:
I have no idea ... So far (touch wood) in many years of skiing, and even more years of driving, I've not damaged any other vehicles or people.
I was gobsmacked the other day to be told that "eating your lunch at your desk" has been illegal in France for years according to the UK press.
Bless them, I guess they don't get out much. I was responsible for a start-up in Paris and we pretty much always.... ate at our desks, same as
you would in the UK. We also spoke English and took no notice of the EU "working time directive".

I think you misunderstand how these laws/rules work. They are there so that the employee can not be forced to something. Just because you did it doesn't mean an employee could have requested not to do it and not been forced to.

philwig wrote:
Driving with headphones: France is probably same of the rest of the world, including the UK on this.

Nope. In France it's illegal and you can be fined, same as using a phone, not wearing a seatbelt. In the UK it's not illegal. I believe in some States of the USA it is illegal most it is not.
latest report
These days I seem to find myself skiing to poo-poo dance music. It's not my choice, rather one forced upon me by some twunt who finds it necessary to play their choice of music out loud to everyone else via a bluetooth speaker rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Nope. In France it's illegal and you can be fined, same as using a phone, not wearing a seatbelt. In the UK it's not illegal. I believe in some States of the USA it is illegal most it is not.
Whilst it might not be technically illegal, you would be done for driving without due care and attention if there was an accident.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 16-02-21 11:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
These days I seem to find myself skiing to poo-poo dance music. It's not my choice, rather one forced upon me by some twunt who finds it necessary to play their choice of music out loud to everyone else via a bluetooth speaker rolling eyes

It's so antisocial. Does my head in.
latest report
Timmycb5 wrote:
Mjit wrote:

It's so antisocial. Does my head in.

Hey, at least they didn't encourage it on Ski Sunday the other week or anything...
latest report
pam w wrote:
This argument has been had many times before. It's no more dangerous than driving to music provided you can see where you're going. People who are always faffing and fretting about who is coming up behind them are a menace, apt to change course without warning. The downhill skier should hold their course and ski predictably - up to the overtaking skier to keep clear. Like sailing. I like to ski to music when I'm on my own. It's especially good on long cold drag lifts. Skiing with a backpack blasting out music is unforgiveable though. I don't inflict my choice of music on anyone else.

It can work both ways, a good skier will know not to do anything unpredictable or unusual if they can hear another approaching from behind, there has been at least one incident where, being able to hear well has avoided someone hitting me.
The only half day that I ever wore a helmet, part of the reason I hated wearing the helmet was because it had earpieces that covered my ears & I couldn't hear fully. Much better since I took a knife & cut holes in the ear coverings.

Really annoying when you are skiing with people that are listening to music when you try to talk to them and they are oblivious.
ski holidays
The arguments against are tried and tested but it doesn't need to be binary. Bluetooth earbuds allow you to have one ear and you can moderate the volume. Plus I only tend to listen to music when skiing alone so the comms problem isn't such a big deal.
ski holidays
I don’t ski with headphones/buds, but years ago I read (The Inner Game of Skiing?) that singing whilst skiing in poor vis helped with rhythm. So since then in such conditions I sing either The Land of Make-believe by Bucksfizz or There’s Always the Sun by The Stranglers. Somewhat of a contrast in genres, but both seem to work!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy