Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taste of the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Here's some good news for all UK based sHs who are missing not being in the Alps at the moment. Smile On Thursday 18th Feb Lidl are having a special flavour of the week: the Alps! Toofy Grin . As well as a wide range of cold meats and cheese they have Leberkäse (Bavarian style meatloaf), pork knuckle, Viennese style pork schnitzel, Rösti, Apfelstrudel, Franziskaner Wheat Beer and to finish off Mozartkugeln (Mozart balls!). Madeye-Smiley https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/c/flavour-of-the-week-alps/c1795/w2

I think a couple of slices of grilled Leberkäse on a bed of Rösti topped with a Spiegelei and washed down with a Franziskaner wheat beer would really bring to mind the Alpine mountain restaurant eating experience for me! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No Germknödel Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda wrote:
No Germknödel Sad Sad

I can understand you having a Mohn about that..... wink

Personally I'm not that keen on the Mohn (a mixture of ground poppy seeds and powdered sugar, what some Brits refer to as fag ash Toofy Grin )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, Well it's certainly cold enough to sit outside for the full alpine experience.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alastair Pink, what would that be in French?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Yoda,
Quote:

No Germknödel

Laughing Could survive a month in a crevasse on one Germknödel.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeakyB wrote:
@Yoda,
Quote:

No Germknödel

Laughing Could survive a month in a crevasse on one Germknödel.

Imagine what a nice pair of Germknödels could do for you! Toofy Grin

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, Wow!
Can’t wait to get to grips with those. Any particular drink you recommend with them?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@Alastair Pink, what would that be in French?

If you're referring to the Germknödel then it's a yeast dumpling with a plum jam filling. Traditionally served with melted butter, but I find that too rich so prefer it with custard (Vanillesosse/Vanillesauce in German or in your preferred French "crème anglaise" Toofy Grin )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:
@Alastair Pink, Wow!
Can’t wait to get to grips with those.

Here's another fine pair of Alpine knödels you might care to get to grips with....

PeakyB wrote:
Any particular drink you recommend with them?

I generally just finish off a Germknödel dessert with the remaining part of my beer. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, now that would get you banned on pprune!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, so that’s how the Lidl staff will be dressed next Thursday. I’ll be queuing outside before opening time.

Yes I’ve had too many Germknödels for my own good and also prefer a vanilla sauce.

I’d have to take 5 minutes and a palate cleansing sorbet before returning to beer swigging I think.

Well done to Lidl anyway, even if no Germknödel, and good heads up thanks. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They do it every year. Never managed to take advantage of it
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@Alastair Pink, now that would get you banned on pprune!

Thankfully I hope the sHs mods have a slightly more relaxed attitude to my well intended humour.... Little Angel
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now if they done Kiachl with a nice tart cranberry (not sauerkraut!) id be first in queue!
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, if you run out of Lidl Franziskaner it's always available from Tesco. Usually 3for2.
snow report
Quote:
Here's another fine pair of Alpine knödels you might care to get to grips with....
Shocking Alistair Pink Shocked

As is the modern-day trend, I'm just waiting for the resignation from Snowheads and the apology: "The posting was as wrong then as it is now; it does not *represent who I am" ... etc Laughing

(*Or it most probably does... Toofy Grin)
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
@Alastair Pink, if you run out of Lidl Franziskaner it's always available from Tesco. Usually 3for2.

I currently have a Franz Dunkels in my perfect draft.
I prefer erdinger though
ski holidays
I love Leberkäse. Don't think I've ever seen it for sale here so I'll have to stock up!
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Shocking Alistair Pink Shocked

As is the modern-day trend, I'm just waiting for the resignation from Snowheads and the apology: "The posting was as wrong then as it is now; it does not *represent who I am" ... etc Laughing

(*Or it most probably does... Toofy Grin)

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
We went for an Alpine taste tonight as commiseration after hitting the cheese aisle HARD at the supermarket.

snow report
We had it two weeks ago - including kaiserschmarnn!
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, kaiserschmarnn, nom nom. Very Happy
snow conditions
This is Goeing from Baad to Wurst!
ski holidays
I decided to make kaiserscmarrn for breakfast.
Coated with cinnamon sugar to serve.
Lot of effort.
snow conditions
Quote:

Leberkäse

& Laugenbrezel snowHead Madeye-Smiley snowHead

Great spot @Alastair Pink, ! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Bump! I was at my local Lidl at 8am when they opened. I stocked up on plenty of their Alpine food on offer, spent just over £30. I wasn't the only one buying the Alpine food, I noticed a lady shopper was stocking up on schnitzels and apfelstrudel. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink,

I have tried all the supermarkets applestrudel & prefer Tesco's, followed by Morrisons.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://coteathome.co.uk/apres-ski-box/

This Apres ski box from Cote at home looks nice!
snow report
Its a raclette night for me.
snow conditions
Yep, having an Alpine night tomorrow night to celebrate my birthday. Wife duly went down to Lidl this morning early. The only dissapointment was the food was all over the place. There wasnt just one "specials" area.
ski holidays
jafa wrote:
Yep, having an Alpine night tomorrow night to celebrate my birthday. Wife duly went down to Lidl this morning early. The only dissapointment was the food was all over the place. There wasnt just one "specials" area.

They're just trying to help you burn off the excess calories from all that Alpine indulgence!! snowHead
latest report
@jafa, I am glad the frozen items were not stacked along with the beer. There is always going to need to be separation, but in the sections it was all ;together; and labelled well in the Lidl we visited today (Swallwell, near Newcastle).

The only thing we wanted and could not find was Leberkäse. Has anyone seen any in another Lidl - preferably near us Smile
ski holidays
I cannot ever get the Rosti to taste like the real stuff - I recall with enormous pleasure, many years ago, eating an amazing one on the terrace of the former Hotel Eiger in Wengen
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:
@jafa, I am glad the frozen items were not stacked along with the beer. There is always going to need to be separation, but in the sections it was all ;together; and labelled well in the Lidl we visited today (Swallwell, near Newcastle).

The only thing we wanted and could not find was Leberkäse. Has anyone seen any in another Lidl - preferably near us Smile

The Lidl I went to in Derby had Leberkäse (OK I know it's nowhere near Newcastle). I bought 2 packs, one standard and one coarse (i.e not so uniform consistency). £1.99 each for 800gm.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, which section did you find it in - we had a good look through the chilled cabinets in general - was it along with the other chilled special items ?
latest report
lampbus wrote:
@Alastair Pink, which section did you find it in - we had a good look through the chilled cabinets in general - was it along with the other chilled special items ?

Yes it was in the chilled section next to the Bratwurst, Spätzli, alpine cheese etc (not the frozen section, that's where the schnitzels and apfelstrudel were).

Here's a photo of the 2 packs I bought, top one was the standard Leberkäse, the lower one was the coarse version. Both 800gm packs consisted of two 400gm sections, each section containing 3 slices.

snow report

I got a good haul earlier! In a taste test, the own brand Weissbier is not too bad. Kids are very happy with the wafer things and the sausages look good. I went for pork knuckle over leberkase and dodged currywurst. I bought a spaetzle press last week for kaseknocken and it works a treat. Well done Lidl!
latest report
Bagged a few of the food items yesterday, which I’m pleased with. One store had a much bigger queue to get in than usual, so I gave up on that.

The Taste of the Alps specials seemed scattered around and not very well promoted or highlighted at all. It was a bit like a Treasure Hunt to find them. Tricky when we’re being encouraged to go in, keep moving one way, then get out.

The main disappointment was that none of the 3 local ones I visited had any of the Weissbier. Who is hogging it all? Puzzled
snow report
Talking of Mozart balls, the most famous Mozartkugeln makers are Mirabell in Austria (the only manufacturer allowed by Law to make round Mozart balls (!) Laughing , other manufacturers have to make them with a flat side) and Reber in Bad Reichenhall Bavaria. I noticed that the ones in Lidl are made by Halloren in Halle, Saxony-Anhalt in Eastern Germany. As Halle was the birthplace of Handel perhaps they should be called Handel balls, although if one were to say "I like Handel balls" it might give the wrong impression.... Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy