Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time all mountain skis purchase (East coast)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everybody,

I wanted to get some advice/recommendations on purchasing my first set of all mountain skis. I've done some research myself and have concluded that I need skis north of 180 cms with a 80-95 mm waist. My parameters are listed below. Any help at all would be appreciated (specific models, where to buy, length/width recs based on location and experience, things to look out for, etc.).

My info:
27 yo Male
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 205 lbs
Location: Northeast (I live in NYC and will mostly be skiing in the NE. I foresee infrequent weekend trips to Vermont and more frequent day trips to Upstate NY and Pennsylvania)
Experience: Intermediate (I've been skiing on and off for about 10-12 years. Most I've skied per season is 4-5 times. Some years I haven't gone at all. I am comfortable on all blues and can gingerly make my way down a black diamond +/- a fall or two. I have no clue what to do around moguls and tend to avoid them. Never tried anything off-piste.)
Boots: Nordica One 6 (bought these ages ago)

So far I've been browsing Evo, Powder7, and Ebay and would prefer a skis + mountings package deal. The max I'm willing to spend is $600 but <$500 would be optimal. Some models that have stood out to me have been Nordica Enforcer, Blizzard Brahma, DPS Pagoda, Faction Prodigy, Salomon Stance, Salomon QST, Rossignol Experience, Rossignol Sky, and Rossignol Black Ops. Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the Forum. snowHead

The length of around 180 is about right - though you could go a little shorter if spending more time On Piste.

At your level, I'd be inclined to go towards the narrower end of your range and reasonably forgiving - So maybe the Rossignol Experience 84 AI...though they only have a 176 or a 184. You could probably get away with the 176 if doing limited Off Piste, and with a 15m radius would make a good Piste Ski.

184 might be OK, but could be a touch long to make life easy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy