Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel opens piste to everyone!

Poster: A snowHead
A French Alpine ski resort has opened a small ski run that can be accessed by car to get around the government-ordered closure of ski lifts.

Officials at the tourist office at Courchevel, Savoie, said that the 2km blue ski trail is 'marked and secure'. It has been authorised by municipal decree for the winter holidays.

No shuttle is in place, but it is possible to drive or take a taxi at the bottom of the resort, in Courchevel 1850, to go to the start of the blue run, the tourist office told Franceinfo, insisting that the required sanitary measures were in place.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you need to use a taxi either to get up one way or another?

Sounds bonkers.

I wouldn't take a taxi during the pandemic unless an emergency.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They could easily do that here. From 1800m down to Mont de Lans at 1300m so worthwhile. Several people are doing it anyway but closed and ungroomed. Talking to someone who runs a ski school here he was considering running lessons on it but could foresee far too many problems with ESF.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With a couple of cars it's easy to diy.

Some friends did it 6 times a few weeks ago.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:

Don't tell everyone ! Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiing sounds good but sounds crazy to have people mixing in confined spaces like taxis and cars, or am I missing something?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, you would have good options down to Bons and to Cuculet with return possible by car if you were willing to walk up a bit at the start. Obviously highly dependent on avalanche conditions with the latter being more problematic than the former.

I wouldn't get in a taxi right now if you paid me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gorilla, lot's going down to Bons and down that way. I haven't been near Cuculet but I suspect a few have.

There was a big avalanche below the Col de Mais about 10 days ago, there were a lot of tracks down before that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tractor/trailer shuttle, outdoorsy?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Don't tell everyone ! Happy

Two cars, yes. But then the driver don't get to ski.

AND

Are all the people in the arrangement from the same household?

Given the only way to utilize the open piste is to use some sort of shared transport, it completely flies against the spirit of the social distancing! They would be far safer running the ski lifts instead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've done that for the kids a few times now. Given that in our group there isn't any social distancing anyway as we have all had it ... hardly an issue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Courchevel website is showing that no lifts or runs are open ... any idea which "run" this is?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@franga, it's the Bellecote run starting from the Altiport (so using a bit of Pralong or similar) down to the Croisette.

re other comments above the whole idea of car/taxi served is to limit mixing - over Xmas they had buses running from Le Praz up and loads of people were skiing the piste down - the queues the couple up times I drove past were ridiculous - no chance of staying distanced on the bus. Apparently for the Feb hols they are running a much more spaced schedule (every 2 hrs?) but with several buses at once to try and spread people out a bit more...

Not super-environmentally-friendly, but I did do a few car-assisted runs with the kids from 18 down to 15 and Le Praz over New Year with driving assistance form my better half. Preferable to a bus bun-fight...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there isn't any social distancing anyway as we have all had it ... hardly an issue.

@under a new name, Really? Have you had antibody tests, what about new strains?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
offpisteskiing wrote:
@franga, it's the Bellecote run starting from the Altiport (so using a bit of Pralong or similar) down to the Croisette.

re other comments above the whole idea of car/taxi served is to limit mixing - over Xmas they had buses running from Le Praz up and loads of people were skiing the piste down - the queues the couple up times I drove past were ridiculous - no chance of staying distanced on the bus. Apparently for the Feb hols they are running a much more spaced schedule (every 2 hrs?) but with several buses at once to try and spread people out a bit more...

Not super-environmentally-friendly, but I did do a few car-assisted runs with the kids from 18 down to 15 and Le Praz over New Year with driving assistance form my better half. Preferable to a bus bun-fight...

Thank you - at least it's a wide piste (particularly the Pralong element) ... I just can't see how someone would be tempted to jump on a bus or even a car to ski or board a single run ... Having said that, we would have been in La Tania over HT next week if it weren't for covid.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Skiing sounds good but sounds crazy to have people mixing in confined spaces like taxis and cars, or am I missing something?

It's the law of unintended consequences. Close chairlifts, people get in cars. It's like they think if they ban people doing things then those people will cease to exist. Switzerland has full ski lifts and closed shops - cases going down. France has closed ski lifts and full shops - cases stubbornly high.
latest report
My OH skied the run the other day I dropped him at the top and he then skied down and continued down past the Croisette on to the blue Tovets run which had also been groomed (but is technically closed) where I met him at the bottom in 1550 - after a couple of goes we swapped over. It was nice to get out but I think we'll stick to just snowshoeing up and earn the reward of skiing down - it's a lot of 'faff' with the car for not that much reward.
snow report
KathE wrote:
My OH skied the run the other day I dropped him at the top and he then skied down and continued down past the Croisette on to the blue Tovets run which had also been groomed (but is technically closed) where I met him at the bottom in 1550 - after a couple of goes we swapped over. It was nice to get out but I think we'll stick to just snowshoeing up and earn the reward of skiing down - it's a lot of 'faff' with the car for not that much reward.

But a lot more reward than not skiing, like us... rolling eyes
snow conditions
hold_my_biere wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

It's the law of unintended consequences. Close chairlifts, people get in cars. It's like they think if they ban people doing things then those people will cease to exist. Switzerland has full ski lifts and closed shops - cases going down. France has closed ski lifts and full shops - cases stubbornly high.
I would tend to disagree - what has happened is that a country level CH has had a very bad 2 months when compared to France, so you could also read it as "thanks to its policy, France avoided the per inhabitant death toll of CH". It's easy to draw conclusions either way.

Back on topic, what the media seems to have discovered only this week in Courchevel (maybe on a cue from the local tourist office when holidays are starting...) is actually already happening in most resorts where you can reach a mid level by car: St Nicolas de Veroce springs to mind, or Morillons, or les Carroz or obviously Le Semnoz close to Annecy, which has been invaded every weekend. And when there's a shuttle... in Les Gets for instance the new shuttle is supposedly forbidden to Alpine bindings - yet I clearly saw people doing rounds back up.
snow conditions
Meribel is binning their resort bus service for the rest of the season as too many were using it as a "ski bus" going up from Chaudanne to Mottaret. Now only running twice a day for workers. three runs are open for touring which is great
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

there isn't any social distancing anyway as we have all had it ... hardly an issue.

@under a new name, Really? Have you had antibody tests, what about new strains?

we've all had ab tests, all positive. New strains don't seem very prevalent (yet). I am working on the likelihood that only the RSA one is a likely problem, if at all. in fairness there's very little hugging going on and no sharing of bagpipes.

and, while I state little social distancing, we are all outside ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy