Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowtopia - new ski resort management game

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's a new PC game currently under development (edit: it might not actually be new) called Snowtopia, where you can design your own ski area (lifts, runs). Another snowHead has mentioned it briefly elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own topic. I've no connection to the game.

The Open Alpha version is free and available to download at https://www.playsnowtopia.com/ and I think it's pretty good, at least for a freebie in the early stages of development. If you try it, would be interested to know what you think!

--

In particular I found the landscapes quite thoughtfully designed. Peaks, valleys, resorts etc. were in sensible places, allowing you to design an interesting ski area. The lift / piste building process is quite slick, with the helpful option to add contours to the map.

A few annoyances:
- as the game progressed, it got quite difficult to get all the guests to use all the available terrain, with some lifts / pistes staying quite busy. A bit like real life wink
- if you replace a lift, you often have to redesign all the pistes it serves, as they no longer "connect" to the new lift
- not enough staff to run lifts at full speed. Although staff numbers increase as visitor numbers / satisfaction go up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds interesting, I'll download it when I dust off my pc, I've not needed it since bringing my work laptop home.

I always enjoy reading the comments, 'snowcats omg!', and the developers seem very resistant to making it about economic management, they are French after all. So how are you constrained?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy Very Happy governmental decree, you must close tonight, that's it, end of season
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Where it is simulating? Alta? Not one snowboarder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An idealised scenario obviously.

Maybe this project has genuine social value, designing a winter sports resort where boarders and skiers could live together in perfect harmony, like in that Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder song
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just an update to this thread from last year, looks like Snowtopia is now out in early release on Steam. On sale until 2 Feb, for less than £20. If you're seriously climbing the walls during lockdown, it looks like it might be fun (I've only played around with it very briefly when @denfinella mentioned it last spring).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can actually watch the developer play the game if you follow the original link and then go through to the steam website. Looks fun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I purchased it this morning, after watching a YouTube video last night.

Turns out its only for PC and i'm on a Mac! Hoping to dig an old laptop out and see if I can get that working again, but it's not been used for nigh on 10 years...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like the alpha is still available from their website and includes OSX @swskier,

https://teafortwogames.itch.io/snowtopia
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The alpha is worth a go and has also been improved slightly since I first posted in April 2020.

As for the early release version which costs money: from various comments it sounds like it still has quite a few bugs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's the common way to release games now, put it out as Early Access/beta for a smaller sum and then get paying customers to be your testers and report bugs. Some developers do it better than others, I got a driving game in Early Access which was very poor at the time, a few years later and I spend far too much of my time on it Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having read this earlier, I decided to download and try it, (alpha version).

It's a bit fiddly on a small screen (13.5in) tablet, and probably needs a bit more RAM than I've got. It was a bit slow occasionally.

It gets easier as you get used to navigating your way round with the keys. - deleted the first half dozen games and started again. but can see how you can easily pass a few hours with it. Half the challenge is to keep adding facilities fast enough to keep up with the increasing number of visitors to maintain a decent satisfaction rating.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just played the demo/alpha version and it was a lot of fun, a bit like Rollercoaster Tycoon if anyone ever played that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy