Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Touring it's gonna get boring......sorry, what's touring??

Poster: A snowHead
Touring touring boring snoring it's not skiing.

Every single person has walked into the shop this winter asking if we sell "Touring" boots.

"Touring" itself means so many different things to so many people.

We basically break this up into 5 catagories.

1) Alpine Touring. Alpine weight kit, high energy, not too far, not too fast until it's time to come down.
Example: Tecnica Cochise 130, Duke PT 16, Voelkl Katana (6kg per foot)

2) Hybrid Touring. Alpine Powered kit. Modern materials, 50/50 split between skins on, skins off. Regularly used as all mountain, inbounds resort stuff. A nod towards lightweight and easy up, but downhill performance still top of the list.
Example: K2 Mindbender 120 boot, Amer Shift Binding, Blackcrows Navis Freebird. (4kg per foot)

3) Free Touring. Alpine performance at super low weight. Use my skins most days, but if i time it right i'll ski resport powder all day without them. No lag in performance, weight a high consideration as i might bust out alot of laps each day or use the kit for multi day touring.
Example: Tecnica Zero G 130, Marker Kingpin, Blizzard Zero G 95/105 (3.5kg per foot)

4) Classic Touring. Second set up, as you own Alpine kit. Touring is a planned affair. Be there at a certain time, pack a whole bunch of kit and grow a beard. The uphill is tedious, and the downhill unrewarding as you got there a day late. You wobble about in your boots, but that's fine. If you own a phone it would be a Nokia 3310.
Example: Any junk from the traditional touring brands as the design hasn't changed for 20 years, tech bindings possibly good ones, but more likely junk or made by Lego, your old skis transformed to go on adventures with you. (2-3kg per foot)

5) Ski Mountaineering. Not sure that the term ski should be attached to this sport. Super lite kit, transfers no damp energy, it's on or off, or snapped or broken in half. It's all about the up, testing your physical until you're only left with your mental strength, and indeed mental you are.
Example: Scarpa F1 Lite, Dynafit 150, Salomon S Lab. (1.6kg per foot)

The last two catagories are really not skiing, or heavily adaptive skiing. Think going to the Ice Rink, it's either Ice Hockey or Ice dance, same kit, same environment, different ways to get laid.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-02-21 16:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone has a lot of time on his hands.

There's also 'Virtual Touring' - having shifts on your skis because they are "in" but not having any skins. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:

There's also 'Virtual Touring' - having shifts on your skis because they are "in" but not having any skins. wink

First free few moments since October, skeleton crew, but seem to be nearing the end now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CH2O wrote:
First free few moments since October, skeleton crew, but seem to be nearing the end now.

Latest from the Zoo

oh for simpler times when everyone skied Scarpa Denalis with an extra buckle riveted on Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
... and no-one went touring because the kit was s41te Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
CH2O wrote:

Latest from the Zoo

oh for simpler times when everyone skied Scarpa Denalis with an extra buckle riveted on Cool

oh those raichle upgrades kept me from having children earlier in life

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 4-02-21 17:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arno, take it you're well on Zero G pro, atk fr 14 and a decent ski, old zero g 108 being the bitch!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
Do not complain - I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time, but it's lovely to see him back here anyway. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CH2O,
Quote:

oh those raichle upgrades kept me from having children earlier in life

How many have you got now?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, 1 too many
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Do not complain - I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time, but it's lovely to see him back here anyway.

I'll soon change that, time for a "Mise a Jour"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
DB wrote:
Do not complain - I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time, but it's lovely to see him back here anyway. Very Happy

+1
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...but for most people this side of the Continent (that's France, probably Italy and Germany too, but not Switzerland, Austria or Spain) right now, touring is just "give me whatever's available that will let me get to a point from which I can glide down". Next season people will refine to a proper category, or switch back to queueing to sit on a lift - either way, a great second hand market.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
patrick! wrote:
...but for most people this side of the Continent (that's France, probably Italy and Germany too, but not Switzerland, Austria or Spain) right now, touring is just "give me whatever's available that will let me get to a point from which I can glide down". Next season people will refine to a proper category, or switch back to queueing to sit on a lift - either way, a great second hand market.

Cat 4
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
DB wrote:

+1

Excuse flippin' me - where was the complaint?

… but if that's what you want.

Strolling back in here like the prodigal son. Writing a book on the "ski-touring world according to moi", then most likely disappearing into the fog (as the French kids are off school next week) .

-2 wink
ski holidays
@DB, Your Mum didn't love you did she, that's ok, there's still time. xx
latest report
CH2O wrote:
@DB, Your Mum didn't love you did she, that's ok, there's still time. xx

At least I had a Mum. xxx
snow report
@DB, We're related, but I call her Dad.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
5) Ski Mountaineering. Not sure that the term ski should be attached to this sport. Super lite kit, transfers no damp energy, it's on or off, or snapped or broken in half. It's all about the up, testing your physical until you're only left with your mental strength, and indeed mental you are.

Ski Mountaineering to me is with ropes & ice axes & stuff. I see this more as lycra lad speed touring.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 4-02-21 19:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@DB, Read Tof Henry if that's the case, he's on Cat 1, what this means to you is irrelavent, what it means to the 10's of thousands of people that talk to a shop on a regular basis is Data. I see this bar still has the usual drunks in it, sat next to the dart board, offering their version of events. 190!
latest report
@CH2O,

Where do the Lupo 120AX and 130c fit in your list (presume the same cat).
I bought the AX a few years ago without trying them.
Bit too roomy really but got them to work pretty well with a a thick intuition liner.
Obviously should have visited you...
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
@DB, Read Tof Henry if that's the case, he's on Cat 1, what this means to you is irrelavent, what it means to the 10's of thousands of people that talk to a shop on a regular basis is Data. I see this bar still has the usual drunks in it, sat next to the dart board, offering their version of events. 190!

Steve, what the hell are you going on about and why do you keep bringing other people into this (my Mum, Tof Henry).
If you are going to put something like that up then you are going to get different opinions, if you can't handle it then I suggest you get back to fitting boots.
latest report
@jedster, Hybrid dude, the AX and the C drop weigt in favor of durability, the HD versions being poly ether, the AX and C versions being Dalbello's version of Grilamid. Think of Grilamid as being Gore Tex, the best use it, the others make their own version of it. Dalbello's version is pretty poor if you're gnarly, works for most though. AX is odddly high volume, the C pretty low. They run huge to size. The HD we put in Alpine Touring 1.8 - 1.6 catagory, the AX and C in Hybrid, same build just different materials. It's a real grey area at the moment. We'd prefer everyone used Grilamid, it's getting there.
ski holidays
Sad to say I know a bit about Grilamid - its EMS-Chemie's brand name for PA12 - a pretty high end polyamide ("nylon" is a different polyamide).

I'm pretty sure dalbello don't make their own PA12! but they might buy it from Evonik or Arkema rather than EMS.

(I just said that to outgeek you - your description sounds right, and I picked up some discounted 130Cs recently - you are right surprisingly low volume!)
snow report
CH2O wrote:
@Hurtle, 1 too many

Laughing Hope you are OK you mad b@stard.
snow report
Personally I'm more interested in seeing pics of the boy killing it on the slopes etc despite mad dad.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, You, you my man! Fo sho i'm good, been a while, had a few things on, that said my boots are always too big walking around here, either deemed by the pub drunks, or fitted by CEM, you decide!
How are you dude? Beautiful as ever?
latest report
@jedster, ohhhh, hark at you, thank's for the Geek Off! 130 C is an awesome boot, that said never skied worse in my life than in it! Easy deformed if you need space, keep buying them tight! Hit my geek up anytime! xx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Me too, bust my hand last year, in Jan', and clearly haven't skied with him this year, and he's 10 and ripping it up. Not a competitor, he'd let you win if it made you happy, but an awesome tech' skier, will upload a video as soon as i'm alowed to get close, think we've maybe got a day left in us skiing together before he rinses me good and proper. Proud Dad, nah, he's been born into it, he's useless, idiotic and talks faster than he skis............. Laughing Take's after his Mum, an embrassement to his name.
snow conditions
@CH2O, you should see Scotland at the moment, people are biting each others hands off to get hold of old frame bindings and alpine trekkers. What category does that fit into?
snow conditions
@charlie.wilkinson, Didn't the Scots invent copper wire arguing over a penny? Be Nice please! that poo-poo, Cat 1640, and not altitude!
ski holidays
How do i write F U C K? Like this?
latest report
@DB, Can I get you another bag of pork scratchings and a babycham? You can use the change to put another 20p in the juke box and dance to the sound of the only lyrics you've learned?
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
@DB, Can I get you another bag of pork scratchings and a babycham? You can use the change to put another 20p in the juke box and dance to the sound of the only lyrics you've learned?

What's up Steve, had another drink and feeling brave?
latest report
@DB, Oh, good idea, get me a GnT while you're up there, let's sit down and talk all about you.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
@DB, Oh, good idea, get me a GnT while you're up there, let's sit down and talk all about you.

I'm flattered but let's be honest this thread is all about you and what you are selling and just your opinion, as always. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
@Arno, take it you're well on Zero G pro, atk fr 14 and a decent ski, old zero g 108 being the bitch!

ha, no - Solly MTN Labs, Plum Guides and Scott Scrapper 105s
I think that puts me firmly on the border between Cat 3 and 4 Cool
latest report
@Arno, Jump over to the Zero G pro dude, long to size, i'll get onto static bindings and ski choice later. Scrapper is a diamond, ruins a drill bit each install. Plum, hum, kiss my bum! Let the ski flex, free the flex dude!
snow conditions
@Arno, Buy @DB, a craft Ale, he needs someone to care about him.
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:
Touring touring boring snoring it's not skiing.

Every single person has walked into the shop this winter asking if we sell "Touring" boots.

"Touring" itself means so many different things to so many people.

We basically break this up into 5 catagories.

1) Alpine Touring. Alpine weight kit, high energy, not too far, not too fast until it's time to come down.
Example: Tecnica Cochise 130, Duke PT 16, Voelkl Katana (6kg per foot)

2) Hybrid Touring. Alpine Powered kit. Modern materials, 50/50 split between skins on, skins off. Regularly used as all mountain, inbounds resort stuff. A nod towards lightweight and easy up, but downhill performance still top of the list.
Example: K2 Mindbender 120 boot, Amer Shift Binding, Blackcrows Navis Freebird. (4kg per foot)

3) Free Touring. Alpine performance at super low weight. Use my skins most days, but if i time it right i'll ski resport powder all day without them. No lag in performance, weight a high consideration as i might bust out alot of laps each day or use the kit for multi day touring.
Example: Tecnica Zero G 130, Marker Kingpin, Blizzard Zero G 95/105 (3.5kg per foot)

4) Classic Touring. Second set up, as you own Alpine kit. Touring is a planned affair. Be there at a certain time, pack a whole bunch of kit and grow a beard. The uphill is tedious, and the downhill unrewarding as you got there a day late. You wobble about in your boots, but that's fine. If you own a phone it would be a Nokia 3310.
Example: Any junk from the traditional touring brands as the design hasn't changed for 20 years, tech bindings possibly good ones, but more likely junk or made by Lego, your old skis transformed to go on adventures with you. (2-3kg per foot)

The last two catagories are really not skiing, or heavily adaptive skiing. Think going to the Ice Rink, it's either Ice Hockey or Ice dance, same kit, same environment, different ways to get laid.

This is SZK GOLD!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy