Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on resorts for ski trip Europe 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Also off the Princesse gondola near Megeve (Demi Quartier).

Toboggans seem particularly popular in Switzerland, quite a few lift-served runs in the Davos area.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn’t every self-respecting ski resort offer tobogganing? In our neck of the Austrian Alps, they have both dedicated toboggan runs, where you can hire toboggans and spend the evening (until 10.00pm) doing runs with a gondola to take you back up; and organised toboggan evenings, where you’re taken up to a mountain restaurant (e.g. in a cage on the back of a piste basher, and then after a good meal and party/sing-song, you toboggan for several miles down to the village.
It comes highly recommended as a way to spend an evening (although injuries do sometimes occur).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Doesn’t every self-respecting ski resort offer tobogganing?

Not in my experience, though interesting that Crest Voland now does (not that that would be a huge help to someone staying in Saisies who suffers from fatigue - they'd need a car and it's more of a schlep by road than on skis).

I've certainly done toboganning - during the evenings, or with small kids during the day (several nice areas in Saisies, but you do need to pull them back up.....) but not been aware of lift-served options near where I've been staying in, for example, Tignes, 3 Valleys, Dolomites. I suppose as people seem to need more and more "entertainment", it will come. For me, being in the mountains, with friends and/or family, with the option to do some skiing, and perhaps play out in the snow with small kids, toboganning, building snowmen etc, has been more than enough "entertainment". When it's quiet, or the weather is foul, feet up with a good book and a glass of something pleasant is enough, especially if the snow is hurling itself down outside.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3V had toboganning served by lifts. For example, the F1 themed course above Courchevel 1650 (Moriond) - see image.

Also a course from Courchevel 1850, just behind and below La Croisette, down to near the gondola base station at 1550 (Village).

I think Val Thorens has and also Tignes (served by Palafour lift?).

However, none of the above could be classed as lower cost resorts, if, as you say, you don't have a massive budget.

Anyway, @Padders14, how's the planning going?

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ElzP, I was going to use my walking boots with some spikes crampons. I like the sound of ones which flip in and out. Can you share what make they are? Thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Padders14, mine are Mammal women's winter ice grip, but having just done a Google for 'snow boots with spikes' there are a few makes - depending on what type of boots you prefer (low rise or lace up etc) you may prefer others in style. Mine are a bit snazzy and furry. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, thanks for the suggestion I will have a look. My OH has only been skiing/ boarding twice. He also does motocross so is very happy/ comfortable pushing himself and therefore I think has progressed faster than others might. I have been talking to him after some of my responses and he would prefer to find somewhere I would be happy as he wants us all to ski/ board together. When I’ve had enough/ need a rest he is likely to have a go at harder slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ElzP, thanks, I will have a look x
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, slowly Very Happy
It’s been great to get lots of ideas. The only issue is that I then have to do more research which is tiring and therefore takes time. Me and the OH seem to be leaning towards Austria as I think we would like somewhere with a bit of Austrian charm rather than a purpose built resort. I’m not as set on ski in ski out as long as have easy access to the slopes. I will also be considering other options and not just half board hotel as long as wherever I am staying is very close to restaurants. I think I need to rule out catered chalets as my step son is a very fussy eater and I believe you don’t get much choice with meal options. I may be wrong?!

I’m slowly getting a list of options together which I will then need to narrow down.
I’m sure when I’m at that point you and your fellow snow heads will be able to give me some more advice x
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Padders14, in your original post you outline your skiing history but among your requirements you don't mention lessons. Can I urge you to consider some instruction; you will find skiing much easier and less tiring with some expert guidance. Sermon ends! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am hoping to get in some lessons at the not so local snow dome if we ever get out of lock down. My concern about doing lessons whilst away would be that I would use all my energy up on the lesson and then have no energy left to spend time with my family on the slopes. I’ve looked at lessons at ski resorts seem to be for 2 hours plus at a time. The lessons I have looked at the snow dome are also 2 hours so once I’ve had a chance at trying those I will have a better understanding of how much I can cope with.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Padders14, good. Time (and money) spent on a lesson or two (it doesn't have to be all day, every day) is a sound investment for holiday enjoyment! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LOTA speaks truth - it's more tiring going down a slope badly (and frightened by that in my case normally) than getting a couple of lessons and then knowing what you can do comfortably which equals fun for all the family. snowHead

Snow dome vs mountains is a very different experience - or at least that was my experience! If you have a couple of 2 hour private lessons, a good instructor will take your fatigue into account and help. I've had the best experiences with older local instructors in Austria who really know their stuff and have tips and tricks to make things easier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ElzP, @LOTA, I hadn’t looked at private lessons. I think I would benefit and as you say even just doing a couple is likely to make a difference to my confidence and ability. Thanks for the suggestion Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Padders14, a pleasure. I am a massive advocate for a couple of private lessons each trip. (I have no connections any more with any ski school!) Very Happy
snow report
@Padders14, just a slight left field suggestions, but is anyone helping you with the chronic fatigue? I was reading the NHS pages about it and it sounds very debilitating, however they do suggest ways to improve the situation and a glimmer of hope when they say "Most people with CFS will improve over time, especially with treatment, although some people do not make a full recovery."

Given skiing is so far away let's hope you are able to improve somewhat and fully enjoy your holiday. I'd also recommend getting a specific recommendation for a ski instructor once you narrow down your destination. A good instructor with knowledge of your situation at the time should be able to assist in making skiing less tiring IMHO.

Good luck in the resort choice and don't forget it's a holiday so don't get dragged to the top of a run you are not comfortable with by well meaning family members!
snow conditions
@Padders14,
@PeakyB, slowly
It’s been great to get lots of ideas. The only issue is that I then have to do more research which is tiring and therefore takes time. Time well spent. Happy to send you some independent info which might save your time (just info, not specific recommendations for areas or resorts).

Me and the OH seem to be leaning towards Austria as I think we would like somewhere with a bit of Austrian charm rather than a purpose built resort. I’m not as set on ski in ski out as long as have easy access to the slopes.
Good choice. Not so many truly ski in/ski out places in Austria and they tend to be more expensive if they have that feature

I will also be considering other options and not just half board hotel as long as wherever I am staying is very close to restaurants. I think I need to rule out catered chalets as my step son is a very fussy eater and I believe you don’t get much choice with meal options. I may be wrong?!
Depends on chalet company and hosts/chef really...typically 2 choices per course in my experience but cater well for dietary needs. If hotels still do buffets next season that tends to offer more options. Self catering have what you like but if eating out a lot would probably cost similar to a chalet or half board trip + you have shopping. cooking, clearing up

I’m slowly getting a list of options together which I will then need to narrow down. That's where some independent info often helps

I’m sure when I’m at that point you and your fellow snow heads will be able to give me some more advice x No doubt about that-helpful lot
ski holidays
@Padders14,
Quote:

@ElzP, @LOTA, I hadn’t looked at private lessons. I think I would benefit and as you say even just doing a couple is likely to make a difference to my confidence and ability. Thanks for the suggestion

+1 See https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154885#4734950
latest report
@kitenski, I am currently having 6 months of sessions with my local chronic fatigue clinic and am beginning to learn how to manage it better. I am hopeful by the time we go I will have improved but accept that I don’t think I will ever go back to my before normal. There is no treatment really except learning to manage your condition and pace your activities.

I will ask for suggestion of ski instructor once I have decided on a resort. I’m definitely not as fearless as the rest of my family so will be making sure I don’t end up out of my depth.

I’m going to need to mange my OH’s expectations as I think he is hoping I will be out all day with everyone with lots of hot chocolate breaks. I don’t want the pressure of feeling I can’t go back and rest if I need to. I’m working on that already Very Happy
ski holidays
@PeakyB, Any info that will save me time would be gratefully received Very Happy
Should I private message with my email address?
snow conditions
@Padders14, best of luck, be fascinating to hear all about it when you get back!

One other thought which would lean you towards Austria is trying to sleep at lower elevations, as even walking around over 2000m can be hard work for the fittest of us due to the altitude.

Sounds like you are already planning expectations, nothing wrong with having a lie in if you feel tired and meeting the family at lunchtime in a preset location.

I have a fantastic hotel in Stuben that I'm itching to recommend to you, but it's not really a place I'd recommend beginners going as the skiing once you are off the beginner slopes there aren't many easy slopes around unless you bus/drive and start in a different area.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
Quote:

once you are off the beginner slopes there aren't many easy slopes around

This is an important point and easily overlooked. Just about everywhere will have decent learner slopes but the "progression" to harder ones can be too challenging to be enjoyable. When learners go out after lessons with other members of their party - that's when they find themselves on a slope they really can't cope with.

Bear in mind that often in Austria group lessons are all day, with a long break for lunch. That's good, in many ways, but it's no good just dropping out at mid-day as the group will overtake you.
snow report
@Padders14,
Quote:

Should I private message with my email address?

Yes that's fine.
latest report
@Padders14, I for one am really intrigued by where you'll choose, it's an interesting bunch of criteria (and birthday trips put the pressure on!)

Hoping that it all happens and you'll be able to write a trip report of your experience, will probably help others greatly. Very Happy
snow report
@pam w, I will definitely bear that in mind. When reading reviews online I have been looking at places with a high percentage of beginner and intermediate slopes. Do you have any other tips when looking for good progression slopes?
I may have to do private short lessons so I can go at my own pace. I will make sure to look st that when picking a resort.
Thanks
snow conditions
@kitenski, @pam w, good points +1

Austria is a good choice in respect of lower elevation sleeping and availability of good tuition.
Each individual doing their thing and not expecting others to do things they're uncomfortable with is definitely one of the key ingredients to a successful trip.
ski holidays
Padders14 wrote:
@pam w, I will definitely bear that in mind. When reading reviews online I have been looking at places with a high percentage of beginner and intermediate slopes. Do you have any other tips when looking for good progression slopes?
I may have to do private short lessons so I can go at my own pace. I will make sure to look st that when picking a resort.
Thanks

Wide blues (for Austria anyway). Look out for blues that are 'options' off reds, they sometimes turn out to be horrible narrow tracks of doom.

Also check out places that have a couple of 'learner' areas up the hill - I've actually just realised that the Ski Welt area might be worth a look on that basis. It's usually possible to download back to the village in a gondola when tired, but in my memory the blues down to village level were also nice and wide. Anyway, means you can progress up the mountain and travel about a bit but have an easy out if needed.

Oh, and check out you tube! Often videos of popular runs on there once you've found the name or number on the piste map. Fair warning, this will become a time sink... Laughing
ski holidays
@ElzP, thanks, I will have a look Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Local knowledge is really key suggest you get a shortlist and post back as to what the beginner and progression areas are really like!!
snow report
That's a good idea - as you can tell, @Padders14, we are all frustrated at not actually being able to go skiing, so are getting the vicarious pleasure of helping you make up your mind - or more likely just confusing you further!
snow report
Oh - and another thing!! Get some notion of budget. No point people telling you all about lovely spa hotels if your budget is only going to run to a self-catering apartment.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
That's a good idea - as you can tell, @Padders14, we are all frustrated at not actually being able to go skiing, so are getting the vicarious pleasure of helping you make up your mind - or more likely just confusing you further!

I’m not sure if it’s helping or hindering yet but lots of great info Very Happy
I’m not too far from you and was hoping for more than a dusting of snow this week to cheer us up. Funny how you never grow out of getting excited to wake up and see if it’s snowed!
snow report
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I think we have settled on Saalbach. I’m now just waiting for a few responses from pensions. Availability seems to be low so hopefully will find something which suits us.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours has done a comprehensive guide to Saalbach wink and is the man who knows - if you haven't already might be worth asking for that Padders14?

There have been a few threads recently on the resort and they have all just made me want to go back!
snow conditions
@ElzP, Blush Smile
ski holidays
@ElzP, already got it, thanks, it’s very useful Very Happy
snow report
It has been fantastic to have so much input from everyone, thank you. We have booked to stay at Hotel Peter in Saalbach. Hopefully it will suit us both for price and location. Just waiting for British airways to release their London flights as they seem to have better flight times than easyJet.
I’m currently slowly trying to improve my fitness before booking some lessons. I think Saalbach will have enough going on that if the skiing doesn’t work out for me I will enjoy partaking in the apres ski Toofy Grin
I will let you know how it goes Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

We have booked to stay at Hotel Peter in Saalbach.

We like Hotel Peter, not least on account of its desirable location, 30 yards from the Bernkogelbahn and a stone’s throw from the Kohlmais slopes. It’s a very traditional, typically Austrian, small hotel, which has been in the Peter family for generations.
Hans Peter, one of the larger than life characters of Saalbach, retired last year, after a lifetime of running his hotel and fulfilling his role of local magician. He founded the “Modern Magic Circle of Austria” and regularly hosted Magic conventions, which attracted magicians from around the world.
Every Friday evening the corpulent Hans Peter presented an entertaining magic show for the diners in his restaurant, complete with doves, rabbits, his magic guillotine, the bottle and glass trick, and ably assisted by his son, Rudi (an unlikely “Debbie McGee”). Always clad in lederhosen, switching between German and English with a heavy accent, and playing the clown with a smattering of risqué humour, he always struck us as like a cross between Benny Hill and Tommy Cooper.
His house speciality was, and presumably still is, the Felsensteak, a large steak served still sizzling on a hot stone. Herr Peter then instructed the diner (who was provided with a complimentary apron) how to finish cooking the steak, providing the herbs from a bandolier of little bottles and canisters attached to his lederhosen. He always recommended the “mountain Viagra” in particular. His party piece was showing the customer how to move a knob of garlic butter around the steak, whilst getting the whole restaurant to sing the tune of the Blue Danube waltz (“La la la la, la la, la la...”), with an encore when the steak was turned over to be cooked on the other side.
Hans Peter was usually to be seen during the day, behind the hatch of his makeshift “Peter’s Jagatee Bar”, behind his hotel, serving passing skiers with burgers, hot dogs, and steaming mugs of gluhwein and potent jagatee. I don’t know whether any of these activities will continue post-retirement and post-pandemic.
He has now handed over the reins to his very pleasant and friendly son, Rudi, who is a very different (quieter and less exuberant) character.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, that’s a shame Hans Peter has retired. I was looking forward to the experience. I wonder how it will differ now he has retired!
ski holidays
What about Rauris in Austria. Decent beginner and intermediate slopes. Not a huge resort but it doesn't sound like you will be going for miles. The new Carpe Solem resort is right on the nursery slope and next to the gondola. It has a spa.

https://www.carpesolem.at/rauris/

Raurius has a 2km toboggan run that is served by a chair lift. There is a ski bus from just outside the Carpe Solum (just at the bottom of the road, about a 1 minute walk) that will take you directly to the chair lift. The toboggan run goes from Kruezbodenhutte which has beautiful scenery and excellent food and drink.

https://www.raurisertal.at/en/winter/active-in-winter/sledding/#:~:text=Sledding%20enjoyment%2C%20day%20or%20night,hours%20depend%20on%20snow%20conditions).

The ski school/equipment hire is in between the gondola and the hotel and they offer excellent tuition (Adventure Rauris). You also take the gondola back down as the run to the valley is a black one, so you don't need to worry about getting all the way to the bottom if you find yourself becoming exhausted.

It's a small resort so not too busy. The only thing is that the valley is 950m so mid March might be a bit iffy, although they had fantastic snow cover even in the valley until early April this year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy