Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-skiing resort February 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads.
Been a good few years since last here (or skiing Sad ) hope all well. I'm looking for a resort/destination for feb 2022 for 5nights. We get married in dec 21 and can't honeymoon until April as wife to be is a teacher ( Confused ) I would love to take her somewhere with snow in the feb half term but as she's not a skier, I need lots to do. I've only skiid for the full week when been snow resorts. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go (ideally cheap flight etc) would love for her to experience a ski lift/gondola. I've been innsbruck which may be an option as city break but with glacier nearby.
Appreciate it not directly a ski question but hopefully some good experience of places from people on here.
Thanks, and nice to be back. I Miss the snow!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Zermatt is befitting for the occasion.

Has a lot to make it memorable for both ski and non ski, very good access as pedestrian to the whole area direct from centre, absolutely stunning views etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zell am See with Kaprun would be a good option with a nice old town and scenic views while also offering good skiing for those who don’t need huge areas. Easy access from Salzburg airport and also easy to visit Salzburg for a day to see the sights.

Pedestrian access is possible to both Zell and the glacier, and Kaprun has an excellent spa
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

as she's not a skier, I need lots to do

If she's definitely decided not to be a skier, you need to ask yourself whether she is somebody who likes being out in what could be cold and inhospitable weather - does she like the outdoors? If so, and if she'll have the right gear (because otherwise it's miserable) then walking on pisted paths, or snow-shoeing, might appeal. But if you are going to try to turn it into a sneaky ski holiday for yourself, that might not go down too well. Best to have a holiday somewhere you can both enjoy equally, and perhaps do a "boys trip" with friends.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for reply. She can ski but hasn't been for 12 yrs. I've sold all my equipment so won't be skiing but live the idea of a snow resort (not necessarily ski resort) just want stuff to do
Shea fine with outdoor stuff (snow shoeing etc) was thinking somewhere like inmsbruck where we can go up the glacier one day just for views and hot chocolate and then city break for the other days. Will look into zeermat (although was after more the Prague price tag!! Very Happy. )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"Will look into zeermat (although was after more the Prague price tag!! Very Happy. )"

New post Sat 02 Jan, 21
16:45 Reply with quote

In that case, perhaps a slightly left field option but nevertheless very interesting too.

Granada in spain, interesting city, Alhambra Palace which is very peaceful to visit in winter months, along with nearby Sierra Nevada for snow element (I've not been to SN so unsure of practical connection) but there's a lot of interesting things in Granada alone.

Obviously, flights to Malaga and travel to Granada.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, that puts a whole new complexion on it.... you'll have masses of suggestions. One is Cortina. You won't find better mountain scenery than the Dolomites and Cortina itself is a sophisticated town with lots going on and the afternoon "passeggiata" which is a spectacle in itself with more mink coats than you can shake a ski stick at.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Find out if her school organises a ski trip for half term.

Then make sure that destination is NOT on your list.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Orange200 wrote:
Find out if her school organises a ski trip for half term.

Then make sure that destination is NOT on your list.

Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What about going somewhere to see the northern lights?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. Will look into all them. Was thinking iceland for the lights (I went a few years ago) but GF never been. Could be a nice option seeing as it's a mini-honeymoon
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jon Ford, Yllas or Levi in Finland, as there are more non-ski things involving snow and ice to do there than any other places I have ever been to. If you are going feb half term try somewhere that is not also on school hols, which will be difficult, @pam w, suggestion of cortina would perhaps be good regarding this

This is the link to the hols chart for this season, a new one will appear for 2022 later.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149291
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or consider The Ice Hotel to also see the Northern Lights
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bad Ischl, Upper Austria? 60 mins from Salzburg, in Austria’s Salzkammergut region.

Usually snow! A stunning “Hausberg” Katrin, served by a charming 60 year old telecabin.

There is masses to do, from sightseeing, wandering around stunning lakes, sledging, snowshoe walking, eating out on charming mountain restaurants with the most amazing views, etc etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Cacciatore, sorry to jump on this thread but would Bad Ischl suit a couple of young skiers (1 skier and 1 snowboarder of intermediate level)? My wife did her ACL/ PCLs...you name it all her CL's last December 19, had to be medevacced off the slope and is completely off skiing but we have x 2 teenagers who still up for skiing so my plan was to ski with the kids some mornings and then meet my wife lunchtime and then go walking (kids be up for sledging etc). I would love to do Austria again and my wife and I have done Hinterglemm (Goatstall photos flooding my FB memories recently!). Took the kids to Niederau and most recently all been French trips. Many thanks
ski holidays
Chamonix might work? You've got the Aguille du Midi lift you can go up on Mont Blanc, you can get a train up to Argentiere and visit inside the glacier (haven't done this, just seen it). Plus some other cable cars you can go up for lunch etc.

Fairly big town as well.
snow conditions
Two votes for:

- Ice Hotel in Lapland - Went for our wedding anniversary one year. It's incredible.
- Zermatt. Can never tire of looking at the Matterhorn and the town is really nice. On another wedding anniversary we stayed at Kulmhotel Gornergrat (ie on the mounain top at 3000m - reached by mountain railway). We had a Matterhorn-view room, which was fantastic.

Then there's the Igloo Hotel on the mountain top in Mayrhofen, which we did for Mrs MA's birthday one year. Also recommended. The rate included sledging, a flaming torchlit walk and toasting marshmallows on a bonfire (all in the dark) and an evening meal and breakfast in a nice mountain-top restaurant.

Mayrhofen is a lovely town - excursions to Innsbruck are easy and Vienna is doable in a long day too. Loads of lovely accommodation for newlyweds (and non-newlyweds!) as well.
snow conditions
You could look at Oberlech - great setting. Not too much to do but enough for a few days if you are not skiing. Pick somewhere with a great Wellness and you can just relax for the few days. You get the experience of taking the gondola up and the toboggan run is great fun. There is the opportunity to take a horse and slay to Zug I believe and lots of nice balconies to have lunch on if the weather is good. It is expensive though.
ski holidays
Often people recommend places they have been to, let's just say I've been to Tammworth Snowdome but ….
latest report
divekris wrote:
@Cacciatore, sorry to jump on this thread but would Bad Ischl suit a couple of young skiers (1 skier and 1 snowboarder of intermediate level)? My wife did her ACL/ PCLs...you name it all her CL's last December 19, had to be medevacced off the slope and is completely off skiing but we have x 2 teenagers who still up for skiing so my plan was to ski with the kids some mornings and then meet my wife lunchtime and then go walking (kids be up for sledging etc). I would love to do Austria again and my wife and I have done Hinterglemm (Goatstall photos flooding my FB memories recently!). Took the kids to Niederau and most recently all been French trips. Many thanks

Hi divekris, sorry to hear about your wife’s injury. I can sympathise, my wife had a similar injury following a skiing accident 4 Winters ago. This year she’s finally got her mojo back and, happily, is skiing probably better than she ever has. It was a long road!

So, Bad Ischl: Firstly, it isn’t a ski resort. It’s the regional town for the Salzkammergut - Austria’s Lake District. Within 30mins, by car, there are two ski resorts - Dachstein West and Feuerkogel. The former is Upper Austria’s largest ski area though, by many comparisons with other, better known resorts, it couldn’t be described as large. What it does offer is plenty of quality intermediate skiing, a good sense of travel, charming mountain huts that are exceptionally reasonable and non-bank breaking ski pass prices.

Just outside Bad Ischl (a quite smart town with a traditional, cosy feeling) there is a great toboggan run. There’s another at a place called Abtenau (a small ski area included on the Dachstein West ski card). At the foot of the slopes and toboggan run is a fab restaurant/bar with a sunny terrace...perfect place to sit and watch the goings on and easy to “keep in touch” with anyone skiing/boarding/tobogganing.

Just a question: would something like Langlauf (Nordic or Cross-Country skiing) potentially appeal to your wife? I’ve quite a few friends who, for one reason or another, have moved away from downhill skiing and taken Langlauf up. I quite enjoy it too! A fairly slow, calm way to enjoy the scenery and still feel as though you’re participating in an alpine pursuit. Anyway, there are plenty of Langlauf tracks and, here (in our area), they are free. Skis, boots and poles are readily available for hire at all the rental outlets.

One other option that might suit is snowshoe walking. Again, depending on fitness/injury recovery and, importantly, desire, it’s really easy to cater for skiers/boarders and snow shoe walkers with an itinerary that allows easy meet-ups for lunch etc on the mountains here. We’ve had guests here who we’ve helped plan such days.

Hope that helps a bit. By all means ask if you have any questions.
snow report
Jon Ford wrote:
Thanks for reply. She can ski but hasn't been for 12 yrs. Very Happy. )

Sounds like grounds for divorce (even before the wedding) Toofy Grin .
snow report
Quote:
Sounds like grounds for divorce (even before the wedding)
Or maybe there is a solution after all.... Laughing

snow report
Quote:

Hi snowheads.
Been a good few years since last here (or skiing ) hope all well. I'm looking for a resort/destination for feb 2022 for 5nights. We get married in dec 21 and can't honeymoon until April as wife to be is a teacher ( ) I would love to take her somewhere with snow in the feb half term but as she's not a skier, I need lots to do. I've only skiid for the full week when been snow resorts. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go (ideally cheap flight etc) would love for her to experience a ski lift/gondola. I've been innsbruck which may be an option as city break but with glacier nearby.
Appreciate it not directly a ski question but hopefully some good experience of places from people on here.
Thanks, and nice to be back. I Miss the snow!!

Given skiing isn't a concern, it could be worth considering Eastern Europe, for the type of trip you mention and at a fraction of the cost of the large Alpine destinations it may be worth considering somewhere like Zakopane in Poland (I mention as I'm quite familiar with it and you can get cheap flights)!
snow report
Zell am See offers a lot, but also maybe Interlaken...between two lakes, obviously, but very short train ride to Lauterbrunnen (in a very scenic gorge with a stunning waterfall, that may or may not be frozen - or turn to snow in mid air) with access then to Wengen, and a rack railway if you want all the way up to the Jungfrau, or on the Murren side, up to the top of the Schilthorn (with a revolving restaurant on the site of one used on James Bond On her Majesty's Secret Service). Very spectacular. Or stay in Lauterbrunnen itself. Lots of walks - often on tobbogan runs

I
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy