Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Christmas 2021

Poster: A snowHead
I Generally go to Austria over Christmas week. I believe the accommodation providers in Solden prefer arrival and departure on Saturdays.
This year Christmas Day falls on a Saturday and there are no flights from uk. I believe my only option is to fly on the Friday and stay one night in Innsbruck town before heading up the Oetztal Valley?
What’s the situation in other European ski resorts regarding the day that guests tend to arrive and leave the resorts? I assume Saturday too?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 6-02-21 11:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was looking at Xmas & most Tourist Operators are doing a Monday-Monday for xmas week & Mon-Mon for New Years
There are/was lots of good TO deals for the short week of Mon-Sat, so they can get back to Sat-Sat. from Jan 7th
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tom H, When we've arrived on a Friday in the past (due to the flight being a lot cheaper), we've stayed here https://www.hotel-schoepf.com/ as they're reasonably priced and take one-night bookings.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
LushRFC will keep in mind.

Mr Egg thanks for the reply. I’m resigned to no skiing this year (unless we get a decent bit in London and I head to The local hill) so I will want a full week. If I can afford it perhaps going for two weeks is the answer
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Tom H,
We Flying into Inns on the Friday & out on a Sunday from BRS.
While we have booked accommodation for Mayrhofen, a lot will depend on snow & if we can travel!
But we have full flexibility & can do Sat-Sat if we decide to stay elsewhere & have to....
Easy fill a day & evening in Innsbruck with the Xmas markets around the town.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just bear in mind that with the Friday being Christmas Eve, things in Austria will close early that day (IIRC the Christmas markets don't even open on the 24th) as that is when they traditionally celebrate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the replies. I think I will head in on the Friday and wonder the quite streets of Innsbruck on their Christmas Day. I must remember to bring sandwiches.
I don’t usually ski on the first Saturday but I realise I could head off early and get that day on the slopes!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ps Mr Egg. Have you booked already? I see flights are available now. Am I right in years gone by it was not possible to book that far ahead. I am Going to book as prices are pretty good.

Tom
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to correct my original post BA fly on 25/12/21
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, booked easyjet a few weeks ago.
Easyjet released early, but I think BA is usually available 11 months in advance
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mr.Egg, coming christmas/new year it might very well become a sunday-sunday scheme. And a focus on the week before the christmas-week instead of the post-newyearweek, and hence that christmas saturday a tricky questionmark...
You should check with your acco!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Austria Christmas essentially happens on the evening of 24th December, then 25th and 26th are both public holidays. Shops will shut at noon or early afternoon on 24th December and although many restaurants will be open, expect them to be booked up long in advance. If public holidays fall at the weekend, there is not a substitute holiday on a weekday. There are 14 annual public holidays in a year so some will fall at weekends. 31st December is not a public holiday but again shops will shut early. 1st Jan is a public holiday as is 6th Jan.

So that being said I expect many accommodation providers will stick with Saturday to Saturday, or some might run Sunday to Sunday. Best to contact the ones you are interested in and negotiate.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Langerzug,

We've booked the week before Xmas, instead of over xmas.
we actually booked Fri-Thurs & will have Fri & Sat back in Innsbruck, before flying home on Sunday.
Wherever we decide, we will be back in Inns. on the Saturday to make it less of an back bottom trying to get to the airport for a mid morning flight.
As long as I can get 4 days on the slopes, anything else is a bonus, unless my body quits first!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or drive out and be flex able
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have gone for flights to and from Munich. Flights were cheap and the drive over to Solden is straightforward. I have decided to go for depart Friday and return on Sunday so some site seeing to do either end.

In previous years I find booking flights in around July or August best for price but I suspect if we do get on top of Covid then flights will be in high demand particularly over holiday periods.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
@Tom H,
While we have booked accommodation for Mayrhofen, a lot will depend on snow & if we can travel!
But we have full flexibility & can do Sat-Sat if we decide to stay elsewhere & have to....

I randomly checked and easyjet now do have flights on Christmas Day. With their flexible booking it only cast £2.00 to change The prices for flights were quite reasonable.

Tom
snow conditions
Tom H wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
@Tom H,

I randomly checked and easyjet now do have flights on Christmas Day. With their flexible booking it only cast £2.00 to change The prices for flights were quite reasonable.

Tom

we moved our Sun flight to Fri as the Luge World Cup is on & Innsbruck hotels for 3 nights was working out more than the 6 nights we are paying for to stay in Mayrhofen.
So will now have 1 night in Inns before flying home instead of 3.
snow conditions
Mr Egg, thanks for the information re the Luge World Cup. Frustratingly I have discovered, while looking at adjusting the return time, that Easyjet have changed the outbound to the 26/12/21. No email to tell me this. Now looking again for accommodation, on the Friday, for somewhere between Innsbruck and Solden.

Update: cancelled easyjet outbound and booked BA which is flying 25/12 from LHR.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy