Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Max editing advice please. Filming advice, tips & tricks welcomed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have posted this on an old thread but got no replies so please forgive duplication.
I have just got a GoPro Max. I’m a complete novice when it comes to video editing having never used a GoPro before.
I bought the instruction book which has a lot of info on the 360 editing but has very little info on editing in Hero mode.
Using the GoPro app I have got the basics for editing 360 on my iPhone/iPad. How do you edit in hero mode? Do you just add it to the main 360 editor? Can you effect the Video like you can in 360 i.e. zoom in/out, slow motion etc?
Also, the GoPro app appears to only allow me to make short films. I ultimately want to make ten minute ski films. I also wish to add my own music.
I presume that I will need to use a pc editor (I’m a windows user). I’m ok with computers but would welcome suggestions for an editor that is simple to use but gives good results. I’m not looking post video’s on utube, they are just for our ski groups personal memories.
I don’t mind paying for the software if it’s reasonably priced.
One more question. My wife is booked onto a photography course and needs to get a quality photo editor (Lightroom etc ???). Is there a software that would be good for my vids and her photography? I don’t mind paying more for it if it covers both.
Many thanks in advance.

ski holidays Reply with quote Edit-post Delete-post
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Eggfried100, I'm looking at this currently.

Luckily I've been editing films for quite a while using Adobe Premier Elements.

I did play around with Insta360 on my Ipad Mini but didn't quite like the editing on an Ipad Mini compared to a desktop.

I've been looking at this YouTube Vid and gives you a good understanding of the parameters of a 360

http://youtube.com/v/_3nY1HtADm4

Plus this is what's swung it for me a decent desktop edit platform from GoPro

https://gopro.com/en/en/news/360-editor-gopro-player-for-windows

Re your wife etc and you - look for a combined Adobe Premier & Photoshop elements package that both of you can then use.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll cherry pick some of your questions. I've used GoPros and other 360 cameras for snowboard videos.

Eggfried100 wrote:
...the GoPro app appears to only allow me to make short films. I ultimately want to make ten minute ski films.

Yeah, but long films are made up of lots of clips (or "segments") stuck together in a process called "editing".
If you shoot long clips, then you'll be spending a lot of time editing looking for the good bits amongst the masses of garbage.
It's better to shoot less and only shoot footage which is at least potentially usable. Summary:
  1. Shoot short segments
  2. Don't shoot stuff which will definitely not be usable.
Learning to turning the camera on and off is a key skill. Knowing when to do it helps too.

A "non-linear-editor" allows you to assemble those clips into a video, not necessarily in the sequence they were shot.
For windows Premier Pro used to be the mutt's nuts, but these days DaVinci Resolve is better and free. I use that although I have both.

Any NLE will allow you to edit music also, although there may be license issues if you're using someone else's tunes.
You don't need a separate audio editor (Audacity etc).

Lightroom is good for Windows/ stills, which I use it for. Although it will play video clips it's not a video editor.
To my knowledge there's nothing full-featured which covers both stills and video, but as above, video editing is free anyway.

In my case the workflow involves cropping into the 360 video using the camera supplier's software and then using
a standard NLE to edit the output from that. The last time I looked (so last season not this) there were paid plugins for
the various NLEs to support some 360 formats directly, and I expect that's the way this will go in due course.

With all this, there is a lot of complexity so it's probably a good idea to start playing with it when it doesn't really matter.
During lockdown for example.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both for your replies.
I understand that fins are made up of lots of clips out together. When I say a ‘Long film’ I mean a series of clips that last say 10 minutes in total. On the GoPro App I can only produce short highlighted films of about 30 seconds. Am I doing something wrong? Or do you need to edit on a pc specific software to do this?
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I’ve had the GoPro since Christmas but being in lockdown and not being able to go out, I really have nothing much to film that is really enhanced in 360. (You can only take so many videos of the dog or going for a walk!!!).
Also, would hero editing in the Max be the same as the hero camera editing as shown on utube?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Eggfried100, hero mode is just basic POV mode and not 360 view. So edit the 360 clips in 360 editor, the hero clips in a standard editor, then stitch them all together.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ansta1,
When you say a standard hero editor I take it that a hero editor is separate to the GoPro app 360 editor? Where would I download this editor and/or which one?
Soz for being a bit of a numpty.
I’ve watched lots of instructional videos on utube but it doesn’t explain it very well. I think they kind of assume that you have used a GoPro prior to getting a Max.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hero mode is the equivalent footage of a standard gopro so can be edited in any video editing software, either the free gopro app or another exciting software package. The 360 video require a specific solution as it has to decode the 360 video in a specific way.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I've been playing with the GoPro Windows editor (link above) and an example raw 360 file c/o DcRainmaker the 592mb file at
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DlP6FVw-O6AIm6O0nSsC-mIoCrEBtmdG

And does seem very easy to use and compile an mp4 as per the video link tutorial again link above, though from what I can make out the freeze frame option is only available on a mac platform.

So I think (hopefully) on an Ipad Mini might work well, though then I've the hassle of transferring the mp4 to my windows desktop if I want to merge/edit films etc into one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @Eggfried100, If you're looking to cover both photography and video then you could try Adobe's Photoshop and Premiere Elements bundle which is £105 on Amazon currently but you can evaluate both for free for a couple of weeks.

Lightroom is more of a photo workflow tool which is great for picking your best shots, cataloguing, doing whole-image or more general fixes such as cropping/straightening, exposure, shadows, highlights, etc. but if you want more sophisticated use of layers, etc. then you'll need to go the Photoshop Elements route. It also depends if you want to buy outright or subscribe. You can subscribe to use the full-blown Photoshop and Lightroom for about a tenner a month.

There's also a load of open-source software e.g. RawTherapee, Lightzone & Darktable to do the Lightroom type of stuff, GIMP/Glimpse for Photoshop and Openshot for video.

It really depends on what your budget is and how much time or patience you have to fiddle with these applications.

I bought an Insta360 One R and I'm still waiting for the opportunity to use it...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy