Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are the *lowest* pistes in the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Kitzbuhel. 600m
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PrimroseAndBlue, Garmisch has slopes down to 730m. Probably a good bench mark for Germany, so I'll add it Smile
@cameronphillips2000, Kitzbuhel lowest slopes are a tad below 800m, so actually relatively high compared to the other places in the list!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a real ski-geek's thread.

I think the only one below 1000m I have done (a couple of times) is Parsenn to Kublis in Davos/Klosters.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
j b wrote:
This is a real ski-geek's thread.

Guilty! Embarassed I'd much rather be skiing!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The lowest I have been to is 70m - though it wasn't in the alps
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/lysa-gora-sopot/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wildsmith wrote:
3. Southern French Alps - Alpe d'huez; Fare down to Enversin d'Oz at 1120m (doable from 3300m weather etc permitting, west facing at the bottom - I think, if you are happy with the snow at all points of the run top to bottom you are officially "better than any of you" etc)

I have done the run from Pic Blanc to Enversin several times, 2200 meters of height difference, one of the most memorable pistes I know.
Starting in mid-winter, ending in spring. The lower half (LaFare, Alpette 2200 to Enversin 1100) is supplied by a powerful artificial snow installation, so is open quite reliably.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
extremerob wrote:
The lowest I have been to is 70m - though it wasn't in the alps
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/lysa-gora-sopot/

Id you're not restricting yourself to the alps...5m is achievable on lift served snow Very Happy
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/snowworld-terneuzen/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maribor Pohorje (Slovenia).

Bottom of the slopes 326 metres. Top 1347. Snow cover reasonably reliable due to:
- Continental climate, far to the east
- Extensive snowmaking

On Alpinforum there's a topic dedicated to this peculiar ski mountain just over the city of Maribor.
https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=64724

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At Garmisch, red 4 (Olympia) and black 5 (Kandahar) also go to the valley at about 750m.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
Yes I have skied back to Glencoe base station, but the routes are surely off piste. However above the Access lift, the lowest lifts
at Glencoe and Nevis Range (Aonach Mor) are at about 645 and 635metres. This is roughly the snow line most ski seasons. Similarly Cairngorm about 640 (I am counting contour lines on a 1:50,000 map so a bit approximate)
How about Scandinavian resorts?

No the run back to the base station at Glencoe if open is frequently pisted and is marked on the piste map. That is the one to the left as you look up the access chair, assuming you go right out east and don't follow the fence line down. The one to the right I have never seen pisted. If it where not for "you know what", I would be up Friday and would expect the run to be open and for it to be pisted Sad The car park into which I have skied to on numerous occasions is 360m at the chairlift. Two years ago the run was open for a serious amount of time with the help of some snow making. With some additional trees in the right place to keep the sun off the run and permanent snow making it could be open most of the time in an average year IMHO.

In exceptional weather circumstances you can ski to the car park at the bottom of the Nevis Range down the mountain bike track. I am not aware of it ever being pisted however. Though it is marked as an itinerary on the original 1990's Aonach Mor piste map in my possession Happy The 100m contour runs right through the car park on the 1:25,000. It's not a run I have ever been able to catch the conditions for however.

The English ski fields are quite low at the base. Allenheads is around 440m, and Weardale is 590m. Yad Moss and Raise are higher.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have skiied at snow creek in Kansas / missouri wit a base around 250meters.

https://www.skisnowcreek.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Currently have temps around 6 to 10 deg @ 250 to 300m in the Eastern alps.

https://www.bergfex.at/mariborsko-pohorje/wetter/

https://www.bergfex.at/hohewandwiese/wetter/

They might be the lowest but that doesn't mean you can ski them. Hohewand is shut most seasons - I know this because it's only 10 miles away from where I live.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 4-02-21 9:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was wrong about Mittenwald (by some way!), but doing some digging there are several resorts lower than Garmisch nearby. Farchant at 670, Eschenlohe at 650, several others no higher than 730m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
(Japanese) Alps - Mikawa Onsen has base altitude 129m.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not the alps, but Le Massif in Canada is at 36m at the base, its fun skiing down towards the St Lawrence river with its lumps of ice, the "base" area is at the top, I did a day trip from Quebec once.

https://www.lemassif.com/en/mountain-stats/
snow conditions
Plenty of places have lifts at 2500m and 1000m....don’t see why you would have one or the other, more lifts, more people, more pistes etc, beginners and families don’t tend to start out at 2000+. Then there’s the rocks, steepness, cold, wind, avi risk

Cascades in Flaine goes from 2500m to 800m, so 1700m easy descent, not always viable snow at 800m but it was last week
ski holidays
Zell am See has several runs ending around 750m, Womens Europa cup race finish line last week was at 773m

ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Yes I have skied back to Glencoe base station, but the routes are surely off piste. However above the Access lift, the lowest lifts
at Glencoe and Nevis Range (Aonach Mor) are at about 645 and 635metres. This is roughly the snow line most ski seasons. Similarly Cairngorm about 640 (I am counting contour lines on a 1:50,000 map so a bit approximate)
How about Scandinavian resorts?

For the Cairngorm the lowest point is the Ciste carpark at 550m. It was even lift served at one point and still an extremely sore point that the chairs where ripped out rather than refurbished at a point in time when they knew there was an issue with the train. Then more was spent on temporary measures to try and shore things up than the refurbishment cost (heck the cost to demolish it was in the same ball park as the refurbishment cost). My lift map from the early 1990's shows two red and a blue piste back to the Ciste carpark/chairlift. All of which I have skied.

There are some studies that suggest that in combination to the proposal for a Glenmore gondola for access to the Cairngorm rather than the road, that with some snow making you should be able to ski back down to Loch Morlich most of the time. It's about 330m so similar height to the base of Glencoe, but basically entirely wooded so ablation from the sun is much reduced.
snow report
yad moss @600m Smile http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/piste-map-july-2018.pdf
snow conditions
I wouldn't inflict the Mittenwald lift on anybody in winter Toofy Grin
latest report
Not alps, but I had the luck (bad) to do a couple of military exercises at Wildflecken in the Hessen region of Germany. There were a couple of very small ski stations in the nearby area, Kreuzberg-Bischofsheim (lowest piste at 610m asl), Ilmenberg (now closed down apparently) and Simmelsberg (660m asl).

Anyone skied at any of them?
snow report
The beginner lift in Igls is at 893m and where the run down to the old cable car ends. I'm not sure if an old run back down to 575m is still there
ski holidays
St Johann in Tirol, on the North side of the Kitzbuheler Horn, so pretty much all north facing, goes down to 649m.
The official altitude is 659m, but I think this website may be more accurate:
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/st-johann-in-tiroloberndorf-harschbichl/ski-lifts/

@cameronphillips2000, That website has the Hammenkamm lift station at 782m, though I suppose the piste does stop just above the lift and you walk down a little.
I think the end of the piste would still be below 800m.
snow report
@jabuzzard, probably doesn't want to hear this but the Blue access run is currently groomed to the carpark for those in Highland with skins or will to hike! Smile
ski holidays
Thanks all. I've added @Onnem's great Slovenia spot! I was browsing the Apinforum thread and conditions look good right down to the bottom.

I've decided not to add really tiny ski areas (e.g. the others around Garmisch which only have a single lift) and stick to slightly bigger resorts.

@Drammeister, comparing the piste maps of St Johann in Tirol with topo maps puts the lowest marked piste at 680m, which is low, but not as low as some of the surrounding resorts. The lowest I can find at Kitzbuhel is 660/670m, but at the bottom of the Kitzbuheler Horn cable car.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 4-02-21 16:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Petzen on the Austrian border with Slovenia is at 650m, I have skied down to the bottom.
snow conditions
Italian Alps: 754m at Tarvisio. I skied top to bottom 25th and 26 March 2018. Bottom was a bit sugary however!
latest report
haggishunter wrote:
@jabuzzard, probably doesn't want to hear this but the Blue access run is currently groomed to the carpark for those in Highland with skins or will to hike! Smile

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. However frankly it is a completely different kettle of fish than having to sit out the 2018/2019 season due to a knee injury not knowing whether I would ever be able to ski again. Thankfully the combination of an operation and a SkiMojo I can ski so I am content in the knowledge I will ski again. Hopefully there will still be plenty of snow come March and I will be allowed out of Fife by then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really enjoy low down valley/home runs, something weirdly satisfying about skiing down a strip of white dodging all the end of day carnage
latest report
Bookmarking this thread to refer the PdS detractors to, when they claim it's too low to be snowsure wink . Turns out we're a high-altitude resort after all Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
Soll 703 m
latest report
Innsbruck 580m
snow report
@rjs, good one, have now added Petzen (640m in fact!).
@leggyblonde, thanks, added! March 2018 was a great time to be in the Italian Alps (we were in Ponte di Legno with loads of snow there too.)
@alasdair.graham, I agree.
@shep, Morzine still deserves its title of rain capital of the Alps though wink
@cameronphillips2000, Soll is low, but Hopfgarten in the same area is even lower. Innsbruck city is indeed sub-600m, but the pistes don't go that low.
ski holidays
@denfinella, this is a terrific topic to have started. Thank you.
snow conditions
Outside the alps, but snow-sure Narvik in northern Norway starts at 1003m and ends more or less in the Atlantic Ocean. Not only that, being well beyond the Artic Circle you have a few weeks in deep winter when the sun never reach above the horizon... https://www.narvikfjellet.no/en
ski holidays
@shep, Morzine still deserves its title of rain capital of the Alps though wink

Doh (after 10 days of solid rain...)
latest report
Pamski wrote:
@denfinella, this is a terrific topic to have started. Thank you.

Yup Smile
snow report
@JohnHSmith, agreed with others great post!

The last guy to operate on my knee also told me I shouldn’t be returning to skiing thankfully the physio didn’t agree and she saw me last, so I am skiing against medical advice.

In terms of lowest altitude I have skied at, although not the Alps, Sälen in Sweden

Top Altitude: 860m
Bottom Altitude: 352m - 735m
Resort Altitude: 352m - 735m
snow conditions
I’m not sure if anyone spots this one on their way up the Inntal from rosenheim. It is not the biggest (8km) but does have a detachable chair!

It is significant as it seems to be the only skiing to the Inn valley floor? Those with weather knowledge may know better but I assume it survives as it is slightly sheltered position for when the hairdryer strips the snow from the main valley.

Vignette fans may note it is near to kiefersfelden.

Ski resort info suggest 476m but other maps suggest a shade under 500m.

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/oberaudorf-hocheck/
snow report
@s397cyg, that's a good one. I think 500m is about right. 2 minutes from the motorway too!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy