Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
@snowball, Arlberg? The cross has a hint of Austria to it
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, can you get more precise? You can return by train (and taxi too, of course, if the train time-table doesn't suit you).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stuben maybe?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, the hill is the top of Albonagrat and you can ski to Langen. Your go.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

I'll accept any of:

name of the classic steep/verging on extreme line left of centre in the pic
the name of the high point on the same ridge (clue - they are basically the same) (great ski mountaineering peak if approached from the side you can't see)
the name of the high mountain in the background on the right edge of the photo (a subsidiary peak of which is a fairly classic ski peak)

if no-one gets these, I'd take the name of the general area
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arno, I'll go with the Ecrins but since I have done so little there I can;t get any closer without resorting to trawling the internet.

Barre des Ecrins would fit the bill of the description of the background peak, (Dome deNeige being the classic ski peak) but can't quite figure the angle on the summit triangle...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
...actually thinking about it Roche Faurio with the couloir line, and looking onto the north face of Barre, with the seracs that calved a big chunk recently visible if you zoom in the photo...?????
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Standing on the Grand Ruine or ? With as OPS says the Barre des Ecrins visible
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@offpisteskiing, well worked out. The ski line is the Col du Roche Faurio. The peak on the same ridge is Roche Faurio. Peak in the background is Barre des Écrins.

@Idris, it was certainly taken not far from the Grande Ruine but forget exactly where. May have been where we transitioned from skins to boot packing to get to the summit
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, one for the weekend then (quite easy this one...):

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cunningham couloir. Would love to do it!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, that didn’t take long!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@offpisteskiing, you said it was easy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also known as the Prassarelle - nast 2 stage rappel to get in, now worse because the belay point is on the Summit, not the cafe side of the bridge!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another easy one. 3 main routes, left, middle and right. Extra points for the names
snow conditions
Bec de Rosses - Sorry the runs were not realy given names when I last skied it in late '99
snow conditions
The right hand side above the Xavier de Le Rue cliff is known locally as the Dark Side

18yo Danish kid stomping the Hollywood Cliff yesterday snowHead
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNy3eJ2ghA7/?igshid=10tc1senogsgz
latest report
@BobinCH, when watching the FWT there’s rarely a run as good as the Bec de Rosses.
ski holidays
snow report
I've never climbed the Bec de Rosses and probably never will. Looks a bit too extreme for me, even if it were lift-served. I'm not into taking air on steep slopes.

@Idris, that looks intimidating from here, but sometimes when you look from the entry point it isn't as scary as you had thought.... Big glacier down there by the look of it.
snow report
@snowball, you could practice your hopping into couloir technique snowHead
snow report
snowball wrote:
I've never climbed the Bec de Rosses and probably never will. Looks a bit too extreme for me, even if it were lift-served. I'm not into taking air on steep slopes.

Not many people take air (intentionally) at the top Skullie
snow report
@BobinCH, looks horrible, given the exposure! And even further down there don't seem to be any routes without jumping over or stepping down a few rocks bands.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/3lZAyw-8E1c

Bec de Rosses.
snow conditions
Same run, higher up the hill

snow conditions
@Idris, Glacier Ronde?
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
@Idris, Glacier Ronde?
Yup, at the top. The preceding pic is the start of the exit couloir.
latest report
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Idris, have you been ‘a-Courtes-ing’??
latest report
offpisteskiing wrote:
@Idris, have you been ‘a-Courtes-ing’??
Smile. Yes back in '09
ski holidays
That's a steep ski isn't it?
latest report
jedster wrote:

And a long drop..
latest report
Yes... I remember gazing at it when walking in to the Argentiere Hut. Looks even steeper in summer!
snow report
One of my buddies managed to fall, mid first turn and fall out into the middle of the glacier....with one bruise. He fell for so long that his ski partner was able to recover form the shock of seeing him fall. Call rescue, and talk to rescue before he stopped falling. The guy falling, once he stopped and was spat out the bottom, picked himself up and in turning round and dusting himself off. There was the rescue (PGHM) chopper sat in front of him!
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
One of my buddies managed to fall, mid first turn and fall out into the middle of the glacier....with one bruise. He fell for so long that his ski partner was able to recover form the shock of seeing him fall. Call rescue, and talk to rescue before he stopped falling. The guy falling, once he stopped and was spat out the bottom, picked himself up and in turning round and dusting himself off. There was the rescue (PGHM) chopper sat in front of him!

Oh my god!

he must have spend minutes wondering when he was going to come to a crunching halt

terrifying
ski holidays
so (I'm guessing and Anselme Baud's Big Book of Death is tucked away in the Alps) 55% and 1500m but at least it has a good run out?
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Idris wrote:

Oh my god!

he must have spend minutes wondering when he was going to come to a crunching halt

terrifying

The PGHM wouldn't say how far he fell. But they did say more than 690m! They also didn't belive his claims about being ok, where they whisked him away to Sallanches hospital. Who also didn't belive him and kept him overnight. They would only release him to a resposnsible adult (not another 20 something). So a visiting parent (55+) had to be borrowed Wink
snow report
jedster wrote:

It's all relative - one man's steep is another man (or woman)'s warm up... I skinned under it en route to a line further down the basin and seen a set of tracks (think it was Ducroz filming - who incidentally had been choppered to the top) which skied the face in no more than 25/30 turns absolute max..!

- but yes it is steep for most of us mortals... generally considered to be the classic 'gateway to steep skiing' line.

Idris was that the fall that was subsequently written up in one of the mags?? Can remember reading an article - title along the lines of "2 minutes 20 on the Courtes" (ie the estimated duration of fall).

jedster re the run-out, last time I skied it there was a mini-rock buttress just above the bergshrund(s) which would not have been inconsequential if you slid in that direction, plus the schrund in places is multiple and quite big... so a bit of luck needed there (though a bit of speed would carry you I guess!).
snow report
I did wonder about the bergschrund!
latest report
Idris, great story.

Baud gives it 48 deg.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy