Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
@Markymark29, the first time i did it i got caught in an avalanche on the way down near the bottom. A wet snow avalanche nearly pushed me over a cliff! When we finally arrived at the little tea shack at the bottom of le Tour we got a round of applause.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jbob, yup
Powder all the way top to bottom that day Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

This is an easy one but has a tale.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grand Envers?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jbob, did you find your way into the ‘schrund ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, yes.
@Arno, yes.
By the time we realised we needed to exit right rather than left we were close to the schrund and facing the wrong way. A team of three, number one made the turn, number two disappeared down the hole, then my turn. I made it. Number one got a rope quickly to number two and all was well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2nd pitch of the Envers - many a scary morning spent there - seen it done toute shuss!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So its the Grand Envers variation of the Vallee Blanche pitch 2 to be precise. So @BobinCH, or failing that @Idris, to go next.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
next
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The face on the left, the piste in the centre and the mountain in the background. A bonus point for where the photo is taken from
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was the photo taken near cabane de tortin. Then the piste would be Mont Fort. Background Grand Combin. Or I might be miles away. Is bec des etranges in there somewhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jbob, must be right about the Mont Fort piste, but I don't know the name of the off piste slope (though I think I may have skied it).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob wrote:
Was the photo taken near cabane de tortin. Then the piste would be Mont Fort. Background Grand Combin. Or I might be miles away. Is bec des etranges in there somewhere.

Correct. Taken from Bec des Etagnes, which sits above Cabane Tortin

You can see more perspective at the end of this drone video from the Bec des Etagnes

http://youtube.com/v/fo21nSRhhjw
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe @Idris, could do one, or @snowball, failing that I’ll pop one up but I’ll wait.

@BobinCH, Cool video.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another Snowhead I won't name to spare his blushes was skiing the North side with me and fell; slid down and over a small cliff face. He was fine but the rest of the way down the guide was muttering "Why did I bring them down this?"

Idris, do you have one ready? If not I think I probably do.
ski holidays

Hint: Top right is by the top of a gondola lift coming up above and just right of this photo. Largely tree skiing in woods behind me. (I apologise for any deficiencies in skiing style of my friends).
Lots of snowheads have been up this lift and looked out at this from it.
ski holidays
In my last comment I was thinking of snowheads bashes
latest report
Tignes Brevieres?
ski holidays
Grand Massif somewhere ?
latest report
Not France. Horizon had a nice picture of him skiing this in fresh powder on a US website, but it seems to be gone from the old trip-report. The gondola travels up over the trees you ski through.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-04-21 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Well, the photo has been up 3 days, so here is a photo looking back down the valley from the top of the gondola.
snow report
Well, that looks like Corvara, but I don't recognise the colour of the bubbles...?

Boe.
ski holidays
Yes Piz Boe. If the person taking this photo looked down to his right he would see the slope below. That netting at the top (put in a few years ago) is meant to discourage you from skiing it now. Or you can approach from the other side of the gondola station, via the ski tracks at the bottom of the gondola photo, which avoids being seen getting around the netting. I got the bubble photo off the internet.

Your go if you have a photo now?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 15-04-21 17:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@snowball, No pics --- I rarely venture off-piste !!

Someone else can have a go...
latest report
albob wrote:
@snowball, No pics --- I rarely venture off-piste !!
Someone else can have a go...

Here goes something mellow
snow report
Can't remember any name, but at the bottom of here is it the bottom of Cugnai (Val d'I)
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Can't remember any name, but at the bottom of here is it the bottom of Cugnai (Val d'I)

Yes, Cugnai joins the bottom of this pitch from skier’s right so that should narrow it down magnificently for you!
This photo was taken at 2923m and joins Cugnai at 2279m so some 600m+ further down
snow report
@Grinning, looks really nice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grinning, I know I have skied it and stayed a night in the Fours hut, which is near the bottom, but I cannot find my map which seems to be misplaced so I cannot give it a name.
snow conditions
@jbob it was a good day @snowball you have the name: Col des Fours Eh oh! - now with more recognisable Motte in the background
snow report
jbob wrote:
@BobinCH, yes.
@Arno, yes.
By the time we realised we needed to exit right rather than left we were close to the schrund and facing the wrong way. A team of three, number one made the turn, number two disappeared down the hole, then my turn. I made it. Number one got a rope quickly to number two and all was well.

Funny, I have the same picture with the 2 crosses in my phone downloads...

At least get the story straight. I was the only one draft enough to go straight down the smooth steep chalky slope and made 4 or 5 delightful steep turns before the 6th one didn't go so well. Hence semi hanging upside down in the bergschrund with skis jammed across. I also regretted accepting Kevin's advice down at the Montenvers station to go straight back up and do it again!
ski holidays
@HammondR, I was trying to be discreet

wink
snow conditions
You can see my knees knocking post extraction in that picture.
snow conditions
Does this ring any bells?
latest report
Above Pila?
snow report
No.
A short walk uphill and a long run down.
latest report
snowball wrote:
No.
A short walk uphill and a long run down.

I’m watching with interest, my sort of touring.
ski holidays
The run ends far from the resort, and if I said how you can get back everyone would get it. (Well, assuming they have skied there)
latest report
snowball wrote:
The run ends far from the resort, and if I said how you can get back everyone would get it. (Well, assuming they have skied there)

Based on this, Andermatt?
latest report
Ah, no, but I see where you are coming from. Nobody has the right country yet. (but it is the Alps and a slightly out-lying part of a well known resort).
I must admit I am not sure how common this type of cross is with the white circle.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy