Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
JackSkier wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/watch?ref=search&v=219253591987528&external_log_id=f11433b0-47cc-4ccc-8233-cd0b3ae9aa2b&q=mont%20blanc%20live%20test%20approuve%20pente%20raide
This is a good video of how the guides manage it; although that lady had no business on that face!

I bet she tells everyone she skied it too. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Joe Vallone on skiing the Pan : https://provallone.com/blog/le-pan-du-rateau-but-naked-g-n-a-r/936/

I've never done it and suspect I never will. The issue with the fall/die traverse, in my limited experience, is that the adrenaline you get up on the traverse dissipates by the time you need to ski. Meaning that you are not in the right place mentally to commit to the descent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JackSkier, I think it depends a bit on the guide - we've been going as a group of 5 with the same guy for a number of years so he knows us pretty well and trusts us (up to a point at least Laughing ). We don't get to do the Pan but we do do lots of stuff which is spicy enough for me. We did the Glacier de la Meije last time but hired a second guide for that. The skiing wasn't that hard technically but there was a lot of group management because of the objective dangers etc

@gorilla, yes, think that's what happened with me
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arno, I had a rough time on the banana traverse of death in Verbier, following BobinCH and then beatered down the couloir. I then realised that terrain where I might die wasn't for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gorilla, that's pretty much where I'm at. Meadow skipping FTW Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JackSkier wrote:
I skied with a very well known guide there a few years back with a 4-1 ratio, and even with that size we were limited in what we could get up to.

Not Phillipe Andre by any chance? One of my all-time favourite guides. The last time I skied with him he took us down a route to the road a bit to the right of La Vaute which required two belays. Does anyone know what it is called?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowball, sounds like one of the Orcieres lines. We did one of those last year which didn't require a belay. They look completely improbable when you look back up from the valley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
JackSkier wrote:
I skied with a very well known guide there a few years back with a 4-1 ratio, and even with that size we were limited in what we could get up to.

Not Phillipe Andre by any chance? One of my all-time favourite guides. The last time I skied with him he took us down a route to the road a bit to the right of La Vaute which required two belays. Does anyone know what it is called?

No, it was with Joe V, great guide and great fun to ski with. The conditions were not great, as it had not snowed for three weeks or so, which meant that he had to be quite careful on route choice etc. I have also had mixed experiences of guides at La Grave before, some want merely to earn a days wages, have a nice lunch and ski the Vallons and Chancel. Others, like Joe, go above and beyond to make it a really special experience.

Haven't done the route you mention, but I think carrying on beyond the La Voute rappel takes you into the Orcieres.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Might be Orciere de Droites, but I can't find any description. We made first tracks (Phillipe said he chose it partly because several colleagues said they were going to do La Voute). After lunch we went up and skied down to St Christoph - a nice relaxed contrast.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a description of the routes here, along with pictures. Sounds like Snowball's route is Orciere Droite, which I have not skied. The skierslodge route guide shows Voute with two abseils. I remember accessing it with a short traverse and only one abseil.

https://www.skierslodge.com/the-skiing-2/legendary-routes/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gorilla, the glaciers have retreated a long way since those pics were taken and route descriptions were written. I remember Pele working on that bit of the website when I did my only trip to Skiers Lodge in about 2001! The routes were animated and we were all gasping at his mad internet skillz Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
@snowball, sounds like one of the Orcieres lines. We did one of those last year which didn't require a belay. They look completely improbable when you look back up from the valley

I think we went right as there was a queue at the belay point for the left hand variant

Wasn’t a bad choice as memory serves

This is the left hand Option with the belay I think

Would love to ski Pan de Rideau - assume it’s a different kettle of fish in fresh snow versus wind blown boiler plate?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm, not sure this was it. The first belay was longer and the second short and easy. After the second we turned right, I think.
I think it it might be this: (sorry a bit small)

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Vaute must have a couple of different lines in to the 'entrance' (which I take to be the second rappel in Bob's pic above). Certainly when we did it 5 years or so back we didn't need to do the first rappel or walk up to the second. We just traversed directly into the second. Somewhat firm boiler plate and nothing like the soft snow shown above! Great ski though; needed your wits about you at the top
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sharkymark, the glacier has retreated so you only need to rappel to get into La Voute itself now
ski holidays
Yes, I've only ever done one rapel into La Voute. Anyway, he was avoiding la Voute on this occasion. We did it at the end of the morning and there were no tracks.
ski holidays
@JackSkier, sorry to intrude this discussion, I think it was your go.
snow conditions
Quote:

I think we went right as there was a queue at the belay point for the left hand variant

@BobinCH, Are the folks queueing belaying on ice or steep rocks? Crampons or touring boots?

@snowball, is the belay the orange dots?

Snow looks amazing in the couloir.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, I don't know, I got the photo off the internet. Not even certain it is where we were.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@BobinCH, Are the folks queueing belaying on ice or steep rocks? Crampons or touring boots?

Not sure. Suspect it’s rock as it was quite far down. I think the pic in the sun may have been above this point? @Horizon took it
snow conditions
Here’s an easy one. Have to view it in landscape on iPhone to avoid the stretchy picture
snow conditions
Looks like Valluga to me
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

@snowball, is the belay the orange dots?

Snow looks amazing in the couloir.

those orange dots are belays, but they are really old photos (and it was clearly a really big snow year) so the lines have changed a little. The first belay is no longer necessary because you can ski a line a little to the looker's right. Also, the dots for the second belay for the Voute suggest a much longer belay than in reality. They extend all the way down the first bit of the couloir, most of which is skiable
That said, the belay is a good 30 ft. You're walking on rocks for most of it. I don't think there is a real alternative for access - down climbing might be possible but not in any way recommended
ski holidays
viv wrote:
Looks like Valluga to me

I'm at least 99.6738253429% certain you're right.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74643

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1748246
snow conditions
Yes, Valuga, I agree. You have to climb down awkwardly into the little gully at the top. Not the usual way down which goes off to the left, out of sight.
ski holidays
Correct @viv, Valluga West face

As per @snowball, this was the route in
snow conditions
Let's try this one. Not so steep as some, but the photo doesn't do the crevasses as much justice as they deserve

snow report
Not Titlis?
Bit of a wild guess but looks like the chair over the glacier higher up
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, looks like the Steinberg
snow report
Saas Fee?
latest report
@Arno, +1 Steinberg
snow conditions
@jedster, @Arno, yes it's the Steinberg off Titlis (Engelberg). This was the best photo I had that gave a flavour of the run, without giving it away too much, and also being in focus. Next time I'll try to duck down a bit more to hide the chair
snow conditions
.@jedster, your go.
ski holidays
Sorry folks- bit slow and a bit limited by what is on my iPad. Will need to do some digging for more choice.

This is a classic ski touring peak (left hand, middle distance) and there are multiple lines.

https://ibb.co/BqQ1d1Q

ski holidays
Since you've mentioned the Ortler region a few times, I'm going to guess Mont Cevedale
snow conditions
Wilder Pfaff (as the wife calls me)?
latest report
Nope
Wrong country (both of you)
ski holidays
Gran Paradiso - Madonna
snow conditions
One of the Monte Rosa peaks? (In Switzerland not Italy Cool )
snow conditions
@Grinning, Italy is still wrong wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy