Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
I'll give a hint - it is in the Fort William area.

Scotland struck me as one of the few places where there is still potential for first ski descents, without having to be a complete nutter. Scottish ski touring is, however, an acquired taste; an 'easy' 1200m tour is actually not so facile when you realise that you are walking up, and then walking down 1000m of it as well in a bog.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow didn't realise there was so much challenging skiing in Scotland. This from the link snowball posted.

http://youtube.com/v/LO6PHzFe_zw&feature=emb_logo

JackSkier wrote:
Scottish ski touring is, however, an acquired taste; an 'easy' 1200m tour is actually not so facile when you realise that you are walking up, and then walking down 1000m of it as well in a bog.

Can you get wellies with tech fittings. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stop Ban, South Gully.
Ed. STOB Ban

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 23-02-21 13:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball wrote:
Stop Ban, South Gully.

Bingo!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But only because I looked it up. I'm afraid I mostly ski the easier access stuff. I like the idea of the touring but I'm getting too old and unfit. And I want a quicker pay-off.
Mind you, if I lived in Scotland....

Does this count as a couloir? (me at the top). I'm afraid we didn't ski the wall (not enough snow).
Very easy one, probably.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 19-02-21 14:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Barage de Cleuson?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, absolutely.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
Yes, absolutely.

Some guys actually skied down the dam wall a couple of seasons back when the snow stuck to it Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nearly as steep but rather taller:
In 2019 our guide Zeb had his girlfriend, Liv, join us to ski for a couple of days (she is an aspirant guide, and famous as a climber). Two years before, she had climbed up and then skied the East face of the Matterhorn with 3 other women.

http://youtube.com/v/2uVmTNnzZ3U
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gorilla, I think it was your go.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will look at my photo collection tonight. If someone else wants to pick up the baton in the interim then have at it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also, the metal ladder half way down is a dead giveaway. I love that ladder as much as I love the half buried cattle feeder I nearly rammed coming down from the Tete de Boston.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another easy one while we wait for @gorilla,

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowball is that Liv Sansoz? if so Zeb seems to have landed on his feet post divorce Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@snowball, sorry. Been tied up. Talk amongst yourselves.
snow report
Hi @irbis, Well yes, I was referring to that Liv. Though I'm unsure what the effect of Covid restrictions might have been.
Didn't I see before that your tag said you are/were based in Chamonix now, or am I miss-remembering?
latest report
@snowball sadly I am not in Cham, I am in locked down in London, just like you...
ski holidays
@gorilla, have you got a photo yet? Anyone going to name my easy one, or is it so easy nobody can be bothered?
latest report
snowball wrote:
@gorilla, have you got a photo yet? Anyone going to name my easy one, or is it so easy nobody can be bothered?

Vallée blanche Chamonix?
ski holidays
how do you post a photo here? I'd like to contribute
ski holidays
@BobinCH, +1
@irbis, I think there have been some changes on photo posting. Search for photo posting or ask an admin. Then feel free to post after @snowball,’s one’s been guessed. Or go *crazy* and become a super-Snowhead and you get a photo-posting widget
ski holidays
@snowball, were you thinking of idris who is a cham local?

@irbis, follow the instruction here -> https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129142&start=9280#4681810
ski holidays
@BobinCH, though the pedant might say Vallée Noire Happy (skier's right 'Italian' side of the VB...).

I'll keep things rolling with a sequel in the 'dam-shots' series:

Hint: it's not the Cleuson... Happy
latest report
@offpisteskiing, @BobinCH, yes, of course, and as accessed from the Italian side, so Vallee Noire is more specific. @extremerob, yes I was muddling with idris.

This is not the way I have skied by the Zinal/Grimenz dam but I looked it up and I think you can, so Zinal is my answer.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-02-21 13:00; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@irbis, now that you can't use snowMedia Zone you need somewhere else to place your photos first. I, along with some others, have put mine on https://imgur.com
Copy the code (top right of your photo) and add .jpg. Then put between [img] and [/img]
snow report
snowball wrote:
This is not the way I have skied by the Zinal/Grimenz dam but I looked it up and I think you can, so Zinal is my answer.

Bang on.
ski holidays
Despite the narrow view I think this probably isn't difficult. (Me 21 years ago, so no helmet)

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowball, is that the Argentiere glacier in the background?
snow report
Yes, that drop down in to it is very recognisable, I think. The glacier really looks like a raging torrent here.
Over to you.
snow report
@offpisteskiing, on second thoughts I did once ski down that side of the dam. It even looks a bit like me at the back of your picture, and I think I recognise two of the people. That wasn't a Ski Club of GB holiday was it?
snow report
@snowball, it's probably all melted now - the difference in the Vallee Blanche from when I first skied it is crazy. That's probably 25 years ago - I feel old Laughing

Will look at my pics and get something up soon
snow conditions
OK, here you go:

IMGP4990.JPG by Ian Scorah, on Flickr

I had just descended the face in the background and am decompressing. Saying I had skied it would be an exaggeration, although I did have skis on throughout Cool

I think Haggis_Trap took the photo
snow report
Nowadays people are amazed I ski so well................ for someone so old Skullie

Haven't worked out the pic yet.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
OK, here you go:

IMGP4990.JPG by Ian Scorah, on Flickr

I had just descended the face in the background and am decompressing. Saying I had skied it would be an exaggeration, although I did have skis on throughout Cool

Pan de Rideau, La Grave. Amazing how the photo from that angle takes away the steepness of it all - I have a similar photo, and often feel it doesn't do it justice when looking at it. People often declare that the only scary part of the Pan is the traverse to access it, but it is properly steep with a gaping bergschrund at the bottom! I have been told it is getting steeper and steeper as the glacier is receding.
snow report
JackSkier wrote:
Arno wrote:
OK, here you go:

Pan de Rideau, La Grave. Amazing how the photo from that angle takes away the steepness of it all - I have a similar photo, and often feel it doesn't do it justice when looking at it. People often declare that the only scary part of the Pan is the traverse to access it, but it is properly steep with a gaping bergschrund at the bottom! I have been told it is getting steeper and steeper as the glacier is receding.

There you go, that’s what we’re talking about. Bucket list line for me.
The steepness has left the photo but knowing the pitch: full respect, it looks like good conditions too - bet you didn’t hang around there for long taking photos ;o)
latest report
@JackSkier, well spotted
Here's the famous traverse (also by Haggis Trap I think)

IMGP4983.JPG by Ian Scorah, on Flickr

We got pretty lucky with conditions - mini-dump overnight and it was end of season so not too many people around. I think we'd been to an end of season party the night before so everyone was a bit rough around the edges. What better time to take on the Pan?! Laughing

The traverse certainly required your full attention but I have a reasonable head for that sort of thing. I actually got a bit freaked once I got onto the face. It's such a gnarly spot up against the north face of the Rateau

Thankfully the ski out is really nice for a punter like me

Anyway, end of TR, let's have the next pic
snow report
Yes, bucket list for me too. The thing is you have to be in a group the guide feels are all up to it (and in the right conditions). The ski Club of GB holidays in La Grave are now so risk averse they only ski one of the couloirs down to the road, so I have given up on them. Perhaps I need to arrange a holiday to La Grave with only 2 or 3 good skiers, rather than my usual group of 6.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Yes, bucket list for me too. The thing is you have to be in a group the guide feels are all up to it (and in the right conditions). The ski Club of GB holidays in La Grave are now so risk averse they only ski one of the couloirs down to the road, so I have given up on them. Perhaps I need to arrange a holiday to La Grave with only 2 or 3 good skiers, rather than my usual group of 6.

Most guides will do the Pan with a max of a 2-1 ratio, but some perhaps even 1-1. Often they will belay you across the traverse to limit the exposure, which naturally reduces the possibility of doing it in a large group.

https://www.facebook.com/watch?ref=search&v=219253591987528&external_log_id=f11433b0-47cc-4ccc-8233-cd0b3ae9aa2b&q=mont%20blanc%20live%20test%20approuve%20pente%20raide
This is a good video of how the guides manage it; although that lady had no business on that face!

I think to get the best out of La Grave with a guide, one needs to plump for a much smaller ratio. I skied with a very well known guide there a few years back with a 4-1 ratio, and even with that size we were limited in what we could get up to.

Saying that, I did somehow luck into joining a group of two others on the last day of the season a few years ago, and we did the Pan as our first run. I am not sure if that reflects well on the guide or not! I had already skied it before at that point, so perhaps that inspired some confidence, but the other two had not.
snow report
JackSkier wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/watch?ref=search&v=219253591987528&external_log_id=f11433b0-47cc-4ccc-8233-cd0b3ae9aa2b&q=mont%20blanc%20live%20test%20approuve%20pente%20raide
This is a good video of how the guides manage it; although that lady had no business on that face!

The guide was a real anchor - Priceless Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy