Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
Arno wrote:
jedster wrote:
Arno wrote:
@snowball, no worries, it's not mine. I'm the skier but the photographer was @offpisteskiing

anyway, still don't see the name of the line Toofy Grin

@Sharkymark, <cough> first descents are probably a bit unfair unless you were there

It looks like a superb ski - fantastic!
I reckon OPS could have caught you at a more flattering moment tho - stills can be a bit unfair wink Toofy Grin

I thought my form looked OK otherwise I wouldn't have posted it Laughing

It is a great line but quite spicy access. Not long but a bit of an exposed scramble IIRC

I don't mind that - think I prefer it to a steep ski with shark teeth.

It looks steep and given pics tend to understate that suspect it is! I was just having a little tease, looks like one of the moments on steep soft snow when you get a little inside and the downhill ski wanders off slightly - only noticeable because you were snapped in that moment.
I have the feeling (based on not many data points) that these days guides work quite hard on getting their photo skills to the point they can provide flattering momentos to clients - good for customer loyalty Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is a good pic I found on there internet of the entry: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l6irNfQ_uMU/Sc-mi9MoDqI/AAAAAAAAAiI/tWl3GB2VPQE/s1600-h/Valdez+6.JPG
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowball, that one actually makes it look more steep than it is

I quite like this one (a) because it has me in it and (b) because it gets Mt Pourri in the background

IMG_1142.JPG by Ian Scorah, on Flickr
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Arno, cracking photo.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jbob wrote:
@Arno, cracking photo.

+1
beautiful and very atmospheric
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, that's an absolute cracker. This is a fun game. It's a shame it took a global pandemic for the forum to get round to this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
@Arno, cracking photo.

+3
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, @Arno, not a line we’ve had before - line of the longest skin - Pépin: Lines courtesy of http://france2wheels.com/bellecote-north-face-never-on-monday/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Grinning, nice one - I've done Canadiens a couple of times - it's an amazing face

@BobinCH, @gorilla, @jedster, @jbob, thanks - it was taken on my camera IIRC but not by me (obvs). Can't remember if it was OPS or someone else in the group.

Anyway, here is my submission. I think there is something in there which is a dead giveaway if you have been to this place:

by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/scorah/]Ian Scorah, on Flickr
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hairpins on the road so looks like Portillo
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Which would make it something off Roca Jack so I'll say Super C
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Which would make it something off Roca Jack so I'll say Super C

Well spotted sir! Hairpins the giveaway
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got bot all in gnarly couloir pics so someone else have a crack. They are about the gnarliest hairpins I've ever seen given the dead lorries I saw lying between them on the drive up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a look at the Stelvio pass on FATMAP cos of the hairpins Laughing

Here’s our skin and descent track for Pépin

ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, imagine trying to keep up with the Romanian driving mad skillz of Horizon, Irbis and their mate Alex up them!
snow report
@Grinning, looks like the end of the gasex line under Cime Caron in Val T
snow conditions
I'm clearly a day late Laughing
ski holidays
Sharkymark wrote:
I'm clearly a day late Laughing
excusable: minutes, not hours or days Little Angel
latest report
That maybe but this isn't: I'm lost; what line are we guessing at the moment?
snow report
Arno wrote:
jedster wrote:
Arno wrote:
@snowball, no worries, it's not mine. I'm the skier but the photographer was @offpisteskiing

anyway, still don't see the name of the line Toofy Grin

@Sharkymark, <cough> first descents are probably a bit unfair unless you were there

It looks like a superb ski - fantastic!
I reckon OPS could have caught you at a more flattering moment tho - stills can be a bit unfair wink Toofy Grin

I thought my form looked OK otherwise I wouldn't have posted it Laughing

It is a great line but quite spicy access. Not long but a bit of an exposed scramble IIRC

Burst mode would probably be the best option to maximise 'pose-age', but then it is time-consuming enough going through the photos I take in a normal winter, I can't imagine having to do the same with bursts and all the extra images that would entail...!!

@snowball - my lawyers will be in touch shortly for my fees for image use Happy (had a really random occurrence many moons ago when a 2001 photo of me from my very first website turned up on a very well known US ski touring website...!!)

Now I think about it I will need to look up what year that was (2010?? @Arno ??) as I have fairly systematically been watermarking photos that go on the www for a while now...(since the US incident anyway!).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 18-02-21 19:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Arno wow - I just checked - that was 2009 !! The inaugural Steep Vanoise tm !!
snow conditions
Goodness, I've only been gone a couple of hours and the crowd have arrived (and perhaps gone again!)

Bellecote North face: Cairn a couple of times, Canadian once, and Grand Face Nord twice.

Is there a live pic question?
ski holidays
A very famous face, but has anyone skied the gully to the right of the lift station in this pic, with the rock face on skier's left? You can't really see the gully here because it is hidden by the rock face.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 18-02-21 20:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
And here is one to guess: a view from the top and another looking up at the huge-cornice entry from a short way down

ski holidays
Alagna?
snow report
North of Salati heading back down to Alagna?
snow conditions
Wrong country.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
And here is one to guess: a view from the top and another looking up at the huge-cornice entry from a short way down

Easy Gully, Nevis Range?
ski holidays
@snowball's pic at 18:56 looks like the Schindler Spitze at St. Anton, though I don't know the names of the gully. I've not skied any of the serious gullies, but have made first tracks to create the traverse round to the right of the pic to ski back down under the schindlergratbahn. I've also seen someone caught in a slide down the traverse, though fortunately not too serious
latest report
Yes, the first is the Schindler Spitz - an easy one. The couloirs are famous but for quite a few years now you have had to climb over railings or other barriers to go down most of the couloirs. Despite that most are still quickly skied out. The one I mentioned we made first tracks, taken down by a guide, and I wouldn't have felt able to judge its avalanche risk myself. Other than my group I've not met anyone who skied it but perhaps there are others on here. It would be astonishing if there were not, with such an obvious gully right in the middle of St Anton's skiing.

@JackSkier, YES, it is Easy Gully, on the back-skiing at Nevis Range (Aonach More), right by the top of the top lift. A well known challenge for the local skiers. Scotland has lots of good skiing, though nothing has big vertical by Alpine standards. Easy Gully was so called by climbers for whom it was an easy climb.

Over to you.

Usually you can avoid the cornice by going off the left edge and skiing in under it. (not my photo though I think I may know the skier).
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Yes, the first is the Schindler Spitz - an easy one. The couloirs are famous but for quite a few years now you have had to climb over railings or other barriers to go down most of the couloirs. Despite that most are still quickly skied out. The one I mentioned we made first tracks, taken down by a guide, and I wouldn't have felt able to judge its avalanche risk myself. Other than my group I've not met anyone who skied it but perhaps there are others on here. It would be astonishing if there were not, with such an obvious gully right in the middle of St Anton's skiing.

I've certainly skied the first 2 or 3 and am pretty sure I've skied the one you mention too. Can remember skirting round the fence and traversing for a long while before dropping down. Typical, I don't get out of Austria much so couldn't call the other great descents others have put up, as soon as one comes up that I know, I miss it.

Once after a huge overnight dump we were all excited and got off the lift at the top. The guide didn't look too sure about skiing it and told us to wait for a minute. He was jumping up and down at the top for ages (10 min+) trying to get it to release. Other skiers were passing him and skiing down or traversing further for the other descents on that face. In the end he didn't take us down and I can remember feeling a bit cheated at the time, thinking we had paid for a guide yet others were getting to ski where we could have had first tracks only to pass. It avalanched shortly afterwards.
We went over to Rendl and he did the same on another face that avalanched that day too.
latest report
Quote:

In the end he didn't take us down and I can remember feeling a bit cheated at the time, thinking we had paid for a guide yet others were getting to ski where we could have had first tracks only to pass.

As I understand it (limited given there is no way I could ever have been a guide) that is one of the hardest bits about guiding. I went to one of Henry's Avalanche Talks and in response to a question he admitted he had skiied things which on reflection he shouldn't have done because he felt this sort of pressure from clients (not saying YOU broadcast that pressure but some do). He agreed with one of the audience who asked "Should I be telling my guides that they shouldn't feel under any pressure ski lines that they are suspicious of?". Said he felt that he could help the guide make better decisions. A guide I climbed with a couple of years ago said his pet hate was ski clients who get pissed off when he won't go somewhere other people are skiing.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
A very famous face, but has anyone skied the gully to the right of the lift station in this pic, with the rock face on skier's left? You can't really see the gully here because it is hidden by the rock face.

I thought I recognized that pic! From 2010

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74596&highlight=
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
A guide I climbed with a couple of years ago said his pet hate was ski clients who get pissed off when he won't go somewhere other people are skiing.

It's not always possible to get away from the crowds but I'm more likely to get pissed off if the guide just takes us places where others have already been.
snow report
jedster wrote:
I went to one of Henry's Avalanche Talks and in response to a question he admitted he had skiied things which on reflection he shouldn't have done because he felt this sort of pressure from clients (not saying YOU broadcast that pressure but some do).

Must admit we had skied it before but the conditions weren't so great (chopped up mash lower down). When we saw from the lift that there was only one track in there with fresh powder we assumed it was good to ski. We knew it would get tracked out very quickly and it was now or never for fresh tracks. We were pretty ignorant at the time of the risks and how a guide determined whether it was good to ski or not. As if the guide had x-ray eyes and could see every danger and a quick look should be enough - we're a little less ignorant now.
snow report
snowball wrote:

@JackSkier, YES, it is Easy Gully, on the back-skiing at Nevis Range (Aonach More), right by the top of the top lift. A well known challenge for the local skiers. Scotland has lots of good skiing, though nothing has big vertical by Alpine standards. Easy Gully was so called by climbers for whom it was an easy climb.

Over to you.

Usually you can avoid the cornice by going off the left edge and skiing in under it. (not my photo though I think I may know the skier).

Yeah - the skiing at Nevis Range is surprisingly good. Bold Rush on the west face of Aonach Mor is probably in my top 5 most memorable descents.

I'll keep it Scottish with this photo from Jan 2020:

snow report
@JackSkier, great pics
Looks a bit like a gully off the back of Liathach I climbed years ago. Don't think it gets skied too often but that's my guess
latest report
I have really wanted to ski a couple of the Rush gullies since I bought the off piste guide books for Aonach More and Glencoe areas. However I haven't skied in Scotland since 4 or 5 years ago when I first skied Diagonal Gully(which I featured a few pages back).
Of course I already knew Aladins which is easier to find and get back from (top 1/4 below. See the guy climbing at the top. Not my photo). My last time there the top was horribly icy, but after the hip that you can see it was lovely.

Good info on Scottish steeper skiing here http://www.steepscotland.info/index/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 19-02-21 12:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@JackSkier, I don't know that one and can't remember seeing a photo. I'll just say Y Gully, though I've only seen it from a distance. However the mountains opposite look a bit too close.

By the way, JackSkier and Arno, talking of my admittedly limited knowledge of Scottish skiing, do either of you know Craig Cameron? I think that might be him in the Easy Gully photo, 4 back. He is one of the skiers on this rather nice film of Scottish skiing, along with someone I've skied with a lot (but mostly in the Alps) Andrew Napier.
http://youtube.com/v/70OcPt3lnLE

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 19-02-21 12:44; edited 6 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy