Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guess where? couloirs/pitches/descents (not just resort)

Poster: A snowHead
BobinCH wrote:

Looks like a dam? Zinal? Emosson?

Think Weathercam and KenX zone... Photo from another angle (not mine)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Order, order...
We’ve got @JackSkier, in the driving seat and @horizon, with a back-up plan.
@JackSkier La Grave: Pan de Rideau?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JackSkier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I don't recognise it as La Grave but looks suspiciously like Puy St Vincent. I couldn't tell you which line though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That does seem to be a dam in the first photo and I can't think of one in that area that might look anything like that. I am intrigued.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alton Couloir
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PROJECT_MANAGER, you are answering Horizon I presume, and it is not really for me to say you got it correct.

This is all getting a bit confusing: 2 quite different seeming views from @JackSkier, and Horizon's contribution.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowball, even more confusing when 2 of the images aren't displaying for me Puzzled hence me going for Horizons image
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

I’ve done a couple of these, it’s Switzerland but that’s not an entirely helpful clue.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Opps! If I’ve pushed in I will delete it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob wrote:

I’ve done a couple of these, it’s Switzerland but that’s not an entirely helpful clue.

That looks like the couloirs down to Trient - usually full of avalanche debris Skullie
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JackSkier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Alas don’t know that area very well - Serre Che? 2 Alpe? Via Lattea?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
JackSkier wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Alas don’t know that area very well - Serre Che? 2 Alpe? Via Lattea?

It's the Couloir Davin, just down the road from Monetier. Great line, a long slog up though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, We now have 3 people with places we are trying to guess, and 4 images!!!!

@JackSkier. could you confirm that that is a dam in your first photo or are some of miss-reading it? Does the second photo contain the point the first was taken from?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JackSkier, Couloir Rouya (sp might be off)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nope it isnt , had to check my own notes. Couloir Davin, Monêtier les Bains
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
@jbob, We now have 3 people with places we are trying to guess, and 4 images!!!!

@JackSkier. could you confirm that that is a dam in your first photo or are some of miss-reading it? Does the second photo contain the point the first was taken from?

It's a moraine at the bottom of the first photo. The photo was taken near the top of the couloir where it joins onto the Glacier du Casset - you ski down the narrow couloir on the left of my first photo; normally it is much wider but I went on a low snow year.
ski holidays
@JackSkier, Couloir Davin, near the town of Monêtier les Bains
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Id say your right as well. thats the Col Du (de ?) Balm and Croix de Fer (Sp)
latest report
@PROJECT_MANAGER, @BobinCH, yes you’re right. Some interesting skiing, on the right day! The one from the col d balme is often mainly debris.
Sorry for pushing in I hadn’t realised what it was.
ski holidays
@JackSkier, I've not been there but it looks like an exciting couloir.

@PROJECT_MANAGER, you seem to be very good at this!
I'm wondering if I should help here by declaring the result on horizon's one.

Here is another of horizon's photos of that couloir taken when we skied it.
Yes, Alton couloir. The saddle above the couloir is the start of the famous Val Mesdi (sometimes called the Italian Vallee Blanche) that cuts across the Sella Ronda in the Dolomites. Photos taken just on from the Pordoi cable car.

I vote @PROJECT_MANAGER go next because he got two right. (When JackSkier and jbob have confirmed theirs)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 12-02-21 15:35; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions
@snowball, yes please help, I'm drowning in work right now!

EDIT: aha, I see you already did, thanks!
snow conditions
Oops, sorry, @horizon, I should have given you more time. Costin never reported back to judge his photo contribution a short while ago.
ski holidays
@snowball, lucky enough to have been down alot of these. inside knowledge
If this image is to big for your screen dont fear, i will delete and resize and repost

https://i.imgur.com/vqVm37b.jpg
latest report
snow report
Oh God, I am past caring where it is, I just want to be there right now skiing that!
snow report
@snowball, Agreed, that was the last line I skied. March 2020
snow report
How nice is that Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Yes. This is both very entertaining and bad for my mental health. Standard of the photos is really high.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was sure someone else would know where this is. I would certainly like to know. It rings some bells but not enough.
Trees higher than is usual in France. Possibly Italy? Lovely strata, as Monty Python might have said. Not vertical like much of the Dolomites but still a bit reminiscent.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 13-02-21 12:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
This is the view on the way up which may answer some of your questions..
ski holidays
The bit behind the woman's head looks very Dolomitic (that looks rather like the Piz Boe again) but there are no lifts or piste's in sight and I have certainly never had this view...
snow report
OK, having looked at a map (and assuming that was Piz Boe) I am guessing you skinned up to the East from the top of the skiing between Corvora and Arabba (starting at the top of Pralongia 2 and Incisa lifts) and skied down to the road near San Cassiano. I am afraid I just don't have a name for it and have never skied up there.
snow report
Can't contribute on the Dolomites-spotting as it is sadly lacking on my tick-list apart from some summer trekking guiding, but at risk of creating an overlap I will throw in this one.

As a hint, many snowheads will have looked up at this on a relatively regular basis...
snow report
@snowball, it isnt Piz Boe... The background is overlooking the sennes hut
snow report
@offpisteskiing, Val Thorens?
snow report
Oh, never heard of it. I looked at the map and I see it is close to Lake Braies, which I rowed on once.
snow report
@offpisteskiing, Peclet, one of the Saints-Peres couloirs (1 or 2? I can't remember how they are numbered).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-02-21 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball wrote:
Peclet, one of the Saints Peres couloirs.

That’s a great call! Skied one of those in 98 before I even knew what a transceiver was Skullie
ski holidays
@PROJECT_MANAGER, good work.
@snowball even better work. Bonus points for which one! Happy
latest report
I wouldn't have twigged if @PROJECT_MANAGER hadn't said Val Thorens.

@PROJECT_MANAGER, is there a name for the mountain in your photo? Probably your go again. Perhaps in your next one something that you don't have to be touring to see?

While you are looking out your next photo I'll put in a picture of Lake Braies in June for people to gaze at, (which I just mentioned, above, being near your last North Dolomites photo location. I notice it shares the diagonal strata in yours.)

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy