Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is travel to the Alps ok for a none working seasonaire?

Poster: A snowHead
So I normally go live in a ski resort in Canada over the winter and work remotely from there however as we all know the Canadian border is closed to none essential travel. Been a remote worker I cant really claim that my travel there is essential and there isn't a visa that would provide me entry so I'm stuck in the UK.

I'm now looking at the Alps as a base for the rest of winter. Has anyone successfully made it into somewhere in the alps since the new UK lockdown came into effect and the recent enforcement at airports turning away people who are trying to leave on holiday? Strictly I guess that I would be considered to be tourist since I neither have the right to work or live in Europe so I would be refused entry. I don't really see it that way personally, I would be 'living' there for 3 months and self sufficient during my time but officially I'm still a tourist. Pre-Brexit I don't think it would have been a problem since I had the right to live in Europe but what is done is done.

As far as where in the alps I'll consider anywhere. I prefer to stay in small resorts with good backcountry opportunities, I don't like the crowds and particularly in Covid times I would be looking to be based somewhere where I could still tour if the lifts closed. Been thinking about some of the Eastern European resorts or maybe a quiet part of Italy.

Anyone else in the same situation? Anyone need a touring partner? Anyone driving from the UK to the Alps for the rest of the season?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unbelievable rolling eyes

Do you follow the news?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NO, at least not France anytime before the snow melts
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, +1

is this some kind of wind up? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nomadengineer wrote:
... closed to none essential travel .... cant really claim that my travel there is essential and there isn't a visa that would provide me entry so ..... I'm stuck in the UK.

sums the situation quite succinctly. wink

Wouldn't we all love to find a route to the Alps. But sadly BoJo has said no foreign travel. Best of luck with your adventures to get skiing this year, I've not yet given up complete hope, but it's reliant on a shed load of return to normality.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-01-21 12:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is great trolling Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apparently there are a lot of snow shoveling jobs going in St Anton, Austria - just give the Burgermeister (Mayor) a ring. wink Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
terrygasson wrote:
@holidayloverxx, +1

is this some kind of wind up? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

My post or the OP?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx, no, not your post, the op

not sure what planet this person is on!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@terrygasson, I read it as serious given the language used and the user name
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you considered taking a leaf out of Albert Speer's book, walking around a small space with your eyes closed and imagining you are in these places? You could even take it further by supplementing your experience with smuggled in guidebooks, which are exchanged for sheets of scribbled toilet paper to be passed to the publisher?

(I suppose you could update it to A m a z o n and tapping it out on a laptop)

If you had work to go to, maybe. As a tourist, I can't really see a way through at present time. Brexit and the current rhetoric from the Home Secretary just makes it far too easy for the authorities to stop you and ask what you're doing. It is very much guilty until proven innocent if you are stopped, but stockpiling toilet paper to write your fictional memoirs on probably isn't an excuse that has been used yet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Headengel2020 wrote:
Have you considered taking a leaf out of Albert Speer's book, walking around a small space with your eyes closed and imagining you are in these places? You could even take it further by supplementing your experience with smuggled in guidebooks, which are exchanged for sheets of scribbled toilet paper to be passed to the publisher?

Surely a reverse Rudolph Hess would work better, snag some AZ vaccines to take with you (a certain London property trust might have a few for sale or nick some), steal a small plane and fly over. Land on the Champs-Élysées and you would be welcomed with open arms in Europe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's easy, just do like on Top Gear. Buy a Toyota pickup truck, spray a bit of foam inside for buoyancy, attach an outboard motor and drive into the sea somewhere on the south coast of the UK and sail across. Once you are there, attach some French number plates (best to get some made up for every country you will be visiting) and drive to the Alps.

Watch here for a quick how-to on the Toybota construction:

http://youtube.com/v/YVjo6YOT3Zg

You are sure to be able to spend the entire winter there, probably the next few years in fact, accommodation and food will be provided for free and you should get a great view of the mountains (from your prison cell).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swskier wrote:

Not sure whether this is referring to my post or the extremely quick, short and none constructive replies but the old adage comes to mind 'If you don't have something good to say then don't say anything at all". It was barely 2 minutes after I submitted this post that the first replies came in, frankly its astonishing that there are people out there that are ready in an instant to fire out negative comment to complete strangers. It wouldn't be acceptable to behave this way in person so why would it be acceptable here?

We all need something positive to hold onto at this time and I refuse give up on getting to the mountains this year even if it happens late or in some limited fashion. I'd be happy to tour with just one other person for the rest of the season living in isolation never coming into contact with anyone else. I don't see the moral issue with this. My life right now is much the same, I live at home by myself, I don't see any friends or family and I go walking daily up the hill where I live. My intention is to do the same in the alps but with touring skis instead. I'm also totally happy to undergo any quarantine required and abide by local lockdown rules. Is this such a controversial thing to want?

Please can we keep the conversation positive or at least constructive to the topic. By all means if anyone has a moral issue then please explain your point clearly and factually. The public domain is not the place for snap judgments or attacks, there is enough of this out there right now.
snow report
Rosa Khutor.
snow conditions
AFAIK UK citizens are not allowed into the EU due to the Covid situation unless they are residents, I might be wrong
ski holidays
@nomadengineer, no you aren't allowed. You will probably be turned back at the French border without a valid reason to travel I can't even go to my own apartment. It could do with some work done on it, but it will have to wait until we're allowed to travel. I'm hoping for the summer, but who knows?
latest report
@nomadengineer, you're stuck in the UK. Non-essential travel means exactly that. It's not a moral issue at all. It's a health issue.
snow report
@nomadengineer, No, end of. rolling eyes
ski holidays
nomadengineer wrote:
I don't see the moral issue with this..
Basically, its illegal to do so. Kent police have arrested people at Eurotunnel trying to travel abroad for no valild reason. To quote UKGOV https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france, - "Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. You must not travel, including abroad, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes."
snow report
mrvinegar wrote:
AFAIK UK citizens are not allowed into the EU due to the Covid situation unless they are residents, I might be wrong

I expected that much but I haven't got my head around exactly what the new arrangement with the EU means.

Quote:
@nomadengineer, no you aren't allowed. You will probably be turned back at the French border without a valid reason to travel I can't even go to my own apartment. It could do with some work done on it, but it will have to wait until we're allowed to travel. I'm hoping for the summer, but who knows?

I guess this answers the question 'if you already own property in the EU before brexit do you have any right to access it if not a EU passport holder'. I'm sorry for your situation.
ski holidays
@nomadengineer, It's not just a moral issue, it's a legal issue - you are in the UK, I suggest if you need something to hold onto and refuse to stay away from the mountains this year then fly back to Canada as you normally do, and if they let you in rent an RV, and ski there for this season, think about Europe another winter is my advice and stay home like the rest of us, not easy but that's the law right now.
snow report
I Love Popcorn - Eating Popcorn Animated Emoticon @clipartmax.com
snow report
@nomadengineer, current uk gov guidance states this

COVID-19 Travel
Under current UK COVID-19 restrictions, you must stay at home. You must not travel, including abroad, unless you have a legally permitted reason to do so. It is illegal to travel abroad for holidays and other leisure purposes.

hence all the comments above

Currently your reasons are not considered essential

just keep checking https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice to see if you are allowed to go anywhere as and when. There is always next season, the mountains will still be there.
snow report
@nomadengineer," It wouldn't be acceptable to behave this way in person so why would it be acceptable here"

i would say what I said to your face and call you out for even suggesting it. From your post it comes across that you have no morals, no consideration for others, and are willing to break the law ("Has anyone successfully made it into somewhere in the alps since the new UK lockdown came into effect") - all for your own gratification and screw everyone else who has been making sacrifices for months.....not to mention the kick in the teeth to people who have lost loved ones through inconsiderate people like you.
ski holidays
@nomadengineer, take a read of the gov.uk website, you cannot travel, it is illegal. If the UK does allow you to travel then not many countries would let you in either!

I'm amazed you are even asking this question, have you not been watching the news and the horrific deaths globally?

In all seriousness what kind of response did you expect?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 29-01-21 13:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
nomadengineer wrote:
swskier wrote:

Not sure whether this is referring to my post or the extremely quick, short and none constructive replies but the old adage comes to mind 'If you don't have something good to say then don't say anything at all". It was barely 2 minutes after I submitted this post that the first replies came in, frankly its astonishing that there are people out there that are ready in an instant to fire out negative comment to complete strangers. It wouldn't be acceptable to behave this way in person so why would it be acceptable here?

We all need something positive to hold onto at this time and I refuse give up on getting to the mountains this year even if it happens late or in some limited fashion. I'd be happy to tour with just one other person for the rest of the season living in isolation never coming into contact with anyone else. I don't see the moral issue with this. My life right now is much the same, I live at home by myself, I don't see any friends or family and I go walking daily up the hill where I live. My intention is to do the same in the alps but with touring skis instead. I'm also totally happy to undergo any quarantine required and abide by local lockdown rules. Is this such a controversial thing to want?

Please can we keep the conversation positive or at least constructive to the topic. By all means if anyone has a moral issue then please explain your point clearly and factually. The public domain is not the place for snap judgments or attacks, there is enough of this out there right now.

Can I just make a positive suggestion - I think this post would work better with dramatic music behind it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
terrygasson wrote:

One way to find out might be to ask politely rather than judge on limited information and launch an attack. Your comments are unnecessary and hurtful.

For everyone's information I have been working away from home in the USA for the past year, The USA is on Earth to answer the question. I usually travel a lot for work returning home many times a year to to the UK see family and friends but in the light of Covid I made the decision to remain away from the UK and stay at work to stop the spread. My work in the USA finished recently and have been serving out quarantine and the more recent lockdown since I arrived back in the UK and started a new job. The USA has been dealing with the situation differently to the UK and I am still adjusting to living in the UK. Hence why I started this topic to try to understand the Covid/Brexit situation better.

Kindly I ask you to either keep your comments civil not to post at all.

Thanks
snow conditions
@nomadengineer, you have been given the link to check on the rules in the UK.

That should be the end of the thread I guess.
snow report
nomadengineer wrote:
My work in the USA finished recently and have been serving out quarantine and the more recent lockdown since I arrived back in the UK and started a new job. The USA has been dealing with the situation differently to the UK and I am still adjusting to living in the UK.

You probably should have said that up front. It's hard enough keeping up with the current rules in one country, especially with regional variations, that I wouldn't have much of a clue if I rocked up in the UK right now without doing a load of research.

What you can be sure of though, is that the minute another country allows travellers from the UK in to ski, this forum will light up like a Christmas tree Cool
snow conditions
@nomadengineer,

Is your real name David Beckham or Wayne Rooney?

PS Welcome to Snowheads
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:

What you can be sure of though, is that the minute another country allows travellers from the UK in to ski, this forum will light up like a Christmas tree Cool

to be clear my reaction wasn't anything to do with another country allowing travellers from the UK into ski - that's up to them.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, of course. Several things have to line up for anything to happen these days, but I suspect you will be allowed to travel internally (by UK gov) some time before other EU countries open their borders.
latest report
@nomadengineer, there is zero possibility of most non EU citizens (the exceptions are from a few far flung spots like New Zealand most certainly NOT UK) who do not have resident status being allowed entry into the EU except for essential travel eg attending a funeral or commuting to a (full time) job. Until the virus situation changes that is going to remain the case. I am sure if you have pots of money and are willing to put up with various quarantine restrictions you might find a way around all this but in practical terms you are stuck in the UK. Those who deliberately try to avoid the restrictions are increasingly being viewed in a negative light https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/28/canada-couple-covid-vaccine-indigenous-people-jail-time
latest report
@Scarlet, indeed....Flachau awaits, just not even thinking about when that might be possible
snow report
@nomadengineer, With such an idiotic opening post what do you expect? You should not even be thinking about going. Why are you and why do you think you should be allowed to do this?
snow conditions
nomadengineer wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

One way to find out might be to ask politely rather than judge on limited information and launch an attack. Your comments are unnecessary and hurtful.

For everyone's information I have been working away from home in the USA for the past year, The USA is on Earth to answer the question. I usually travel a lot for work returning home many times a year to to the UK see family and friends but in the light of Covid I made the decision to remain away from the UK and stay at work to stop the spread. My work in the USA finished recently and have been serving out quarantine and the more recent lockdown since I arrived back in the UK and started a new job. The USA has been dealing with the situation differently to the UK and I am still adjusting to living in the UK. Hence why I started this topic to try to understand the Covid/Brexit situation better.

Kindly I ask you to either keep your comments civil not to post at all.

Thanks

You'd have been far better staying in the US if you wanted to ski. Why on earth didn't you? The reason you have had sarky answers is that many of us have not travelled anywhere for nearly a year (or at least this winter), not because we don't want to. And that includes people with property in the Alps. But why not assume you are special and therefore more deserving.
latest report
If you have to travel for work you can leave the UK. Most countries base their restrictions on traveller origin, not nationality, so if you can spend a week or two in the right intermediate country you can get pretty much anywhere. Obviously there will be Covid tests and quarantines along the way.

Ironically if everyone did that, quarantining for a fortnight with a test at each end, then this thing would be stopped in its tracks. Whereas instead if everyone spent the morning on an internet forum and then went down the supermarket it'd be much worse.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
@nomadengineer, With such an idiotic opening post what do you expect? You should not even be thinking about going. Why are you and why do you think you should be allowed to do this?

Telling people what they should and shouldn't think about?

Who the f*ck are you?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy