Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Voyager - Folding Ski

Poster: A snowHead
No, it's not April 1st:

http://youtube.com/v/FPwAYiMvZ-w
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The guy going bananas on it trying to get them to snap was entertaining to watch Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice way to advertise them with the attempted destruction. Always thought somelike this was conceptually possible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that is beautifully clever.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
do you think it started as the result of a law night Slovenian drinking session, "Wouldn't it be really funny to ..."?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If they perform then probably not a bad ideal for people with small cars and no roof rack.
Could also be used for a ski tour where you can only boot or snowshoe up. (in freeride touring boots)

Would look good in a James Bond movie.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, 1350 pounds
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After that cheesy 1980s style sales video, I'm mildly disappointed. I at least expected them to fly, saving lift pass and breaking even on costs after about 5 x 1 week trips wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given that I’m not spending ski dollars on anything else this season I’m quite tempted.

Also reminds me I need to get back to Zermatt at the earliest possible moment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I think these are a game changer. They are convenient for many scenarios.

Going on a train/underground from one part of a city to the airport. Small case vs ski bag. Yes I know some of you find it no problem but many will prefer a small bag.

Airline cost of ski carriage not not required. 2 trips a year via EZY or Ryanair and they will pay for themselves quickly. Airlines that have free ski carriage can be more expensive so you can do a FR or EZY

For those that flydrive. No need to hire a big car. Two people in the smallest car and these in the boot/backseat. Saving lots of money on car hire.

For those that on public transport easy to take compared to a ski bag etc etc etc

And just like the video. I could keep these in the office (like mine near Munich) without having a big ski bag around. Then jump in a small hire car (cheap). I could fly to the office once a month, work for a few days, then grab the bag and go to the slopes on the bus on Sat, Sun, Mon then back home. Heck I could even travel to a client then ski at the weekend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As an engineer I'd love to see the mechanism. The whole concept looks great.
On the other hand, you could do the same thing by just renting skis at resort...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wasn't there some stuff leaked about these a while ago?
I like the solution from an engineering viewpoint but is it a solution to a problem that didn't really exist. I remember many years ago someone coming up with a coupling that allowed standard (steel) bike frames to be split folded but still stiff in use. Beautiful engineering but never caught on. Only ever seen them once in use and they was on a tandem that allowed it to fit inside a fairly large estate car.
What do we think of the no compromise claims? Flex looks a bit odd/non-linear in the attempts to break them. Lots in the tips but suddenly less under the bindings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elan have been working on this for a while - first for an access ski with possibly military applications

https://www.wildsnow.com/24728/elan-ibex-tactix-folding-ski-review/

Obviously they've decided that selling it as a punter lifestyle ski is a better bet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty impressive. Any real data on its flex, breaking loads etc vs normal skis? Not that it probably matters to us recreational skiers! Hardly going to test its limits I imagine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ster, at the end of the video a big bloke tries to break them.
snow conditions
Total Cost of Skis, Bag, Etc in the 'Deal'?

Are a pair of Telescopic Poles (to fit in the Bag) Included in the 'Deal'?

Ski Dimensions... Skis Length + Shovel/Waist/Tail Widths?
latest report
@cc_7up, the Tactix is 1500 euros....

https://elanskis.com/eu/ibex-tactix-carbon-ion-12
snow report
@cc_7up, yes, 1600 euros for the whole kit.

Voyager Travel bag
Voyager Rod ski poles
Snow removal brush
Drying cloth

I'm not sure a 1300 euro solution is really a solution for most people, but it's very neat and no doubt we're going to see the gear acquisition plebs cruising blue runs with these and a pair of Shifts on them Toofy Grin NehNeh
ski holidays
cc_7up wrote:
Total Cost of Skis, Bag, Etc in the 'Deal'?

Are a pair of Telescopic Poles (to fit in the Bag) Included in the 'Deal'?

Ski Dimensions... Skis Length + Shovel/Waist/Tail Widths?

BTW, Google is you friend on these questions, plenty of information on the Elan website
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Elan have been working on this for a while - first for an access ski with possibly military applications

https://www.wildsnow.com/24728/elan-ibex-tactix-folding-ski-review/

Obviously they've decided that selling it as a punter lifestyle ski is a better bet.

great share really good to see the mechanism - I would worry about the impact of catching the exposed edge at the point where it folds on a rock and the damage it could cause.

Also reading the wildsnow article and seeing the 2018 publication date and the above video demonstrating the ski - it looks like they are rebranding it more for the urban skier - rather than a compact touring ski.

Would be interesting to see the mechanism in person and even give it a go - but not sold on it yet!
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@ster, at the end of the video a big bloke tries to break them.

Is that an ISO type test then?

I wouldn’t mind seeing them in flesh, another thing for the post pandemic list.
latest report
I kind of feel this is a solution seeking a problem?

The price premium would pay for a lot of baggage charges
The answer to a small hire car is handiracks (way cheaper)
https://www.handiworld.com/handirack/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-dW_oKDL7gIV0O3tCh1D8gjbEAAYASAAEgInXvD_BwE

If you don't like carrying luggage there are these places called hire shops...
ski holidays
I've often wondered why this hasn't been done before. Seems like a great idea.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:

are you being serious or sarcastic?
snow conditions
Cool idea. But I'll stick to my Rip Sticks all the same. Nice skis btw Very Happy
ski holidays
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it's a good/practical to do it. I'll bet a stiff drink it won't be around for long and Elan will never be honest enough to admit how much they'll have lost on it. For it to be effective the tolerances will have to be really tight which doesn't mix with use/durability as one good impact and it's screwed.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it's a good/practical to do it. I'll bet a stiff drink it won't be around for long and Elan will never be honest enough to admit how much they'll have lost on it. For it to be effective the tolerances will have to be really tight which doesn't mix with use/durability as one good impact and it's screwed.

True but the 'impact' thing presumably depends a bit on how people ski. If you spend all your time on the piste and are a relatively careful skier you may not have any significant impacts.
I don't think they'd suit @ValDesire though Laughing
snow report
Ed_sec wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

True but the 'impact' thing presumably depends a bit on how people ski. If you spend all your time on the piste and are a relatively careful skier you may not have any significant impacts.

Sometimes $hit happens even if you're careful - like being speared by another skier/boarder etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They take me back to the late 80's when we were given a pair of adjustable sidecut skis to test, think they were Elan too.....
They were partially split at the front and back 1/3 with an adjustable block above the splits, enabling the sidecut to be varied from extreme carving to almost straight, never took off though! Can't find a picture anywhere online, so maybe I'm hallucinating, this was the 80's in Zermatt Laughing
ski holidays
Found it:

snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Ed_sec wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Sometimes $hit happens even if you're careful - like being speared by another skier/boarder etc.

I'm sure you're right. The big guy was always testing the strength in the same plane where the joint is protected and the strain taken by the join/binding part. I imagine a torsional twist might be harder on it. Also I didn't see much flex under the binding part. Might ski a bit like a giant frame binding.....
latest report
KenX wrote:
They take me back to the late 80's when we were given a pair of adjustable sidecut skis to test, think they were Elan too.....
They were partially split at the front and back 1/3 with an adjustable block above the splits, enabling the sidecut to be varied from extreme carving to almost straight, never took off though! Can't find a picture anywhere online, so maybe I'm hallucinating, this was the 80's in Zermatt Laughing

Now that is a crazy looking ski. Nice work Ken! Shocked
latest report
@KenX, Wasn't that more of a development item from Elan when they were investigating the effects of different degrees of sidecut, much easier for the development dept to produce one adjustable ski rather than them producing a wide range of development skis with different amounts of sidecut? I think their investigations led to their introduction of the Elan SCX in 1993/94, arguably one of the first 'shaped' or 'parabolic' skis with a larger amount of sidecut. Very innovative company. Very Happy
latest report
They seem quite short for an all mountain ski ?

Three lengths - 160 , 166 or 172 ... no guide on elan website as to what length for height/ weight ?

https://elanskis.com/eu/voyager-black-aarhlk20
latest report
Cracking idea, why not?? Most uneven flex across the length of ski i've seen since people used those frame binding things, but this will get plenty of suits from the airport to apres ski.
ski holidays
What a really elegant piece of engineering, using the binding to counter the loss of longitudinal regidity. I was fully expecting to laugh at them but the idea of not having to drag the ski case and lug a backpack of clothes vs everything in a backpack has a lot of appeal.

The only issue will be if they can get the cost down. Starting at €1,500 is fine, the 'latest toy' crowd will happily pay it just to be able to go "Hey guys, check THIS out...", but they will need to get it down nearer traditional ski price to attract volume sales. I mean the €1,000 difference between those and a pair of Elan Ripstick's pays for a lot of extra checked bags...
ski holidays
I wonder how they’ll hold up under regular servicing etc?
snow report
halfhand wrote:

It has, many times, just not lately. At ISPO I remember one of the classic equipment guys had 2 pairs from different time periods.

I made a crappy pair from junk skis 20 years ago, didn't have access to good enough tools and hardware at the time, but then again my touing converters were wood+ barn door hinge!
ski holidays
I'm sure I've seen a previous post on here (though possibly elsewhere online) featuring a collapsible ski, that was split into sections that slotted together....

I remember seeing a video of it packed into a rucksack...This was possibly in the last couple of years - though maybe longer than that since I saw it.

Can't for the life of me find it now though.

In terms of the new Elan version... For me, the price outweighs the advantages.
snow report
looks like there is a snowboard variant as well NehNeh

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy