Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is travel to the Alps ok for a none working seasonaire?

Poster: A snowHead
Headengel2020 wrote:
halfhand wrote:
@nomadengineer, Vith such an idiotic opening post Vhat do you expect? You should not even be zinking about going. Vhy are you and Vhy do you zink you should be allowed to do zis?

Telling people what they should and shouldn't think about?

Who the f*ck are you?

My guess is Angela Merkel.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nomadengineer, I am sorry my reply seemed to upset you, but I found it incredulous that you even had to ask.

in your initial post you did not mention you had been working in the usa, the impression you gave is that you were residing in the uk, which it transpires you are, even if you are in quarantine. even then, I am pretty sure you would be able to find out what the situation is at the moment.

my personal position is that no-one should even be thinking about going abroad this year at all unless it is for emergencies, until vaccinations programmes globally are well under way, and transmission rates are at a very low level.

I understand, that this will not be every ones point of view, but we really need to get a grip of this virus before we start looking at foreign travel again.
at present, Even with valid pcr tests, this does not stop you getting the virus between the time of the test and date of travel, then passing it on to people around you.

I was supposed to be going to the Le Mans 24 hours last June, that was then postponed to last September, and at first it was going to be with a limited amount of spectators. Apparently we was going to be confined to certain areas around the track for the 5 days we would be there, which did not appeal to me at all. I actually decided not to go a long time earlier, even if it meant losing all the money that I had paid for the trip. fortunately all spectators were banned, and our trip has been carried over to this year, but even if it is to go ahead with fans (which I very much doubt), I have told the rest of the group that I will not be going.

I have ski flights booked for feb half term 2022, carried over from this year. if that trip cannot go ahead by then, as they say in Dads Army "we are doomed, Mr Mainwaring"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Headengel2020, they're someone who has been on this site for 15 years and made 14000 posts more than you, so while they're just another user of the site and have no right to special treatment, they've at least managed to fit in for some considerable time, whereas you arrived last month and have annoyed a considerable number of people in a mere 25 posts. As with any club, the usual rules apply - be nice to the regulars, and they'll be nice to you. Put simply, FIFO, i.e. stop trying to be a wind up merchant.

Similar to the OP here, you started out with a post where you said of skiing in Europe this season "I'm of the mind that there is always a way to do something, the question to be answered is to what lengths will you go to do it". Breaking the laws in both places is stupid and selfish enough, but posting here to demonstrate just how stupid and selfish you and the OP are really does take the biscuit. I wonder why your newly-minted Flickr profile that you used for photos of your December trip to Engelberg is named "Sillius Soddus" ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Headengel2020 wrote:
halfhand wrote:
@nomadengineer, With such an idiotic opening post what do you expect? You should not even be thinking about going. Why are you and why do you think you should be allowed to do this?

Telling people what they should and shouldn't think about?

Who the f*ck are you?

More responsible than you. Prick.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ousekjarr,

I have not, and do not, advocate breaking the law. You are mistaking my non-condemnation for encouragement.

I can't see a way through for the OP as a tourist. If there was a working reason and visa, maybe and I'd leave it up to them to decide. As they have posted.. they would abide by the law.

If you think I am being selfish, that is up to you. I'm very discouraged by the tidal wave of nasty self-righteous virtue signalling that follows every such post on this site. I'm even more annoyed by the frequent posts that suggest we should all think the same way. rather than allowing for open and reasoned discussion of posts. It's a witch hunt.

I'll repeat and clarify for you: "I'm of a mind that there is always a way to do something, the question to be answered is to what lengths you will go". To me, those lengths stop short of breaking the law. I don't pretend that others feel the same way.

Mudslinging is most definitely not what I joined the site for, and losing my temper at it just makes things worse. If I can't be discursive and positive, I just won't post.

RE Sillius Soddus, the Life of Brian was in my head at the time. If I ever grow up enough to be allowed on a bash, I'll put it on my helmet...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hold_my_biere wrote:
If you have to travel for work you can leave the UK. Most countries base their restrictions on traveller origin, not nationality, so if you can spend a week or two in the right intermediate country you can get pretty much anywhere. Obviously there will be Covid tests and quarantines along the way.

Ironically if everyone did that, quarantining for a fortnight with a test at each end, then this thing would be stopped in its tracks. Whereas instead if everyone spent the morning on an internet forum and then went down the supermarket it'd be much worse.

Indeed, mate of mine, had to return to from Singapore as his father was ill and then passed away. got caught up by latest lockdown restriction in late December and is now heading back to his family in Singa via Dubai, with 14 days quarantine in Dubai and then Singa before he can see them.

The OP is either just trolling or very stupid/done absolutely no basic research before asking the question. You can only really travel* at the moment to your own country or somewhere you hold residency rights, and even then there are hoops and quarantine to jump thru. *essential work travel, that can proven to be such, excepted.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nomadengineer wrote:

As far as where in the alps I'll consider anywhere.

Nowhere in the EU legally unless you are an EU resident or national. The Belgium and French borders are better controlled now so I doubt you'd get through by chancing it. If you can travel Ireland you might be able to travel on to an EU country with a recent PCR test.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are several things at play here.

UK - current restrictions prohibit you from travelling anywhere outside of your local vicinity for anything other than a legally allowed reason. This includes going abroad. Earlier this week the Home Secretary also made it illegal to leave the country without a valid, legal reason.

Brexit - they do, or at least have, allowed travel between member states, but the UK is now a third country and during the pandemic, entry into any of the EU member states is prohibited for any but a small list of valid reasons. Going forward, UK nationals are also restricted by the 90 day rule, meaning you are only allowed to be in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days in any 180 day rolling period. To stay longer, you would have to apply for a visa.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 29-01-21 16:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:

UK - current restrictions prohibit you from travelling anywhere outside of your local vicinity for anything other than a legally allowed reason. This includes going abroad. Earlier this week the Home Secretary also made it illegal to leave the country without a valid, legal reason.

Brexit - they do, or at least have, allowed travel between member states, but the UK is now a third country and during the pandemic, entry into any of the EU member states is prohibited for any but a small list of valid reasons. Going forward, UK nationals are also restricted by the 90 day rule, meaning you are only allowed to be in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days in any 180 day rolling period. To stay longer, you would have to apply for a visa.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Timmycb5,
Quote:

Timmycb5 wrote:

Hope that helps.

wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:

wink

Whoops. Was trying to edit and quoted by mistake. Now down seem to be able to delete it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nomadengineer, Travel is permitted for work reasons.
One way might be:

1: Take HGV lessons
2: Pass HGV Test
3: Get International Lorry driver job with a company that has routes to the Alps

As you are only permitted to drive for a certain number of hours per week / day / month, if you were smart, you could engineer your layovers to be in the big lorry park in Aosta, or the one in Cham.

Or get a job / internship with one of the International organisations based in Geneva. It would take a real bad-ass border guard to deny you entry if you were going to undertake essential work for UNHCR.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fat chance of getting into Europe from the UK with Brexit, Covid and the "we've just decided we want your jab-juice and until we get it, you can't get what you've ordered 3 months ago" fiasco going on, you might as well be coming from North Korea...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
@nomadengineer, It's not just a moral issue, it's a legal issue - you are in the UK, I suggest if you need something to hold onto and refuse to stay away from the mountains this year then fly back to Canada as you normally do, and if they let you in rent an RV, and ski there for this season, think about Europe another winter is my advice and stay home like the rest of us, not easy but that's the law right now.

Err, no! Please don't.
They won't let you in anyhow, unless you are Canadian or a PR, and even that is about to get hard(er) most likely.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do people think even if travel restrictions are lifted in the UK and resorts begin to open in Europe that we will still be banned to travel to them? Would you have a better chance in Switzerland or Norway in peoples opinion? I'm also not willing to believe this is the end of the season even if its an April touring trip.
snow report
mk28 wrote:
Do people think even if travel restrictions are lifted in the UK and resorts begin to open in Europe that we will still be banned to travel to them? Would you have a better chance in Switzerland or Norway in peoples opinion? I'm also not willing to believe this is the end of the season even if its an April touring trip.

I think anywhere in the EU is likely to be out this season as the UK is, and will be treated like, a third country. The only way this could change is if the pandemic is declared over or the UK establishes safe travel areas again, which I don’t see happening this side of summer. Not sure about the other non EU schengen countries, but they’re probably gbe best bet for a late Easter trip, though I’m not holding out any hope.
snow conditions
@nomadengineer You need to understand some useful guidelines for posting on forums like this, as they'll help both you and members focus on useful feedback.

Location: Your ID doesn't show where your are. So most people will assume you're in the UK. In which case your post looks bizarre, because in the UK you'd have to be a sociopath be unaware of the travel restrictions currently in place. If your ID showed you as in the USA, then people would realise that your question is more apposite. ALso, when people don't show their location, it's 50:50 they're a troll just trying to be provocative. Lesson: say where you are based in your forum details, in your case, perhaps something like 'USA>UK'

Context: A thread isn't a conversation. If it was, you'd have got a shocked response immediately that would have made it clear you'd said something contentious. And you'd probably go on straight away to clarify the background to what you asked. A lot of time gets wasted on forums by people posing open-ended questions with no context and drip-feeding details later on. If you'd said initially that you've only just got back from the USA then people would have understood. But since they can't mind-read, they didn't know that.

(The standard 'why didn't they mention that earlier?' example is for an OP to ask about recommendations for a ski location. Lots of people respond. Then the OP will say 'That doesn't really work for me because we only do ski-in/ski-out.' Sigh (why didn't they mention that?). Then they get a few more recommendations. And the OP will say 'Oh no, we'd never self-cater, my partner will only do catered hotel or chalet'. Sigh. Then a few more people respond. And the OP posts 'Not really, because my partner will only ski blues.' And so on. So it's always best to provide as much context as possible, up-front.)

I hope you'll understand now why your original question appeared either monumentally sociopathic or a troll post and why, although it was neither, you got the abrupt responses you did. And once things became a bit clearer, why, even then, some of the responses were short. It's just that as I said, people can get a bit cranky when they put in the effort to respond only to find it's been a waste of time because the full details render their comments irrelevant. Your circumstances makes your question reasonable, but only when we know what your circumstances are.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 29-01-21 17:47; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, I think it'll be just in time for the school holidays in mid July, it's amazing how these things get resolved at times like that, and all the stars align. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@Timmycb5, I think it'll be just in time for the school holidays in mid July, it's amazing how these things get resolved at times like that, and all the stars align. rolling eyes
Yes, we're planning to go out to our apartment as soon as our stars align, which means 1. Completed the inoculation regime + 3 weeks 2. France & Switzerland allow UK citizens to enter 3. The govt lifts the ban on non-essential travel 4. The FO lifts it's recommendations against travel to F and CH 5. we get our GHIC and 6. Travel insurers give cover to over-65s like us. We're thinking this won't all be sorted before the end of the current winter season and probably not 'till August-September if things go smoothly. But even then, I think there's all sorts of issues that could break the alignment, so to speak.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Yes it’s always weird when stuff like that happens rolling eyes
snow report
@LaForet

Perhaps a little too generous?
I'm pretty sure you can't travel to Europe from the US (or pretty much anywhere to anywhere) without a really good reason either, so why would anyone think they would be able to from the UK?
I'm aware that you can't go travelling anywhere if you live in the UK and I don't live there or intend to.
ski holidays
HORRIFIC DEATHS GLOBALLY!!!!
snow report
And for avoidance of doubt. https://planetski.eu/2021/01/27/uk-government-confirms-ban-on-all-ski-holidays/
snow report
nomadengineer wrote:
[

Please can we keep the conversation positive...

Ok, I'm absolutely positive the answer is still no.
snow conditions
@nomadengineer, just go for it and see how far you get

Oh and take your credit card to pay any fines and wasted petrol

Hopefully you don’t have the virus and pass it to the poor people carrying out their jobs to stop you

Selfish, stupid or not of sound mind ?
snow report
Perhaps take 2 credit cards....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/scores-of-foreigners-breach-lockdown-rules-at-austrian-ski-resort
snow conditions
And the current situation in France. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153818&start=600#4726267
snow conditions
As I mentioned earlier, I’d be heading to Russia. Or perhaps somewhere else in Eastern Europe. You might have to spend a fortnight somewhere else first, but where there’s a will there’s a way. I don’t think the Russians are letting Brits in too enthusiastically at the moment.

Kenya, for instance, has no quarantine on the way in. Apply for a job on a safari park so you have a valid reason to leave the UK. And book a safari. I am certain the safari company will help.

As soon as the Kentish variant gets everywhere we will no longer be the pariah country. And eventually there will be an even more virulent, but non-dangerous strain that will kill off Covid. It will be OK in the end!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nomadengineer, ? Really? Confused
snow report
t4tomo wrote:
got caught up by latest lockdown restriction in late December and is now heading back to his family in Singa via Dubai, with 14 days quarantine in Dubai and then Singa before he can see them.

Is quarantine required in Dubai for travellers from UK with a negative covid test?
snow conditions
Quite so, lighten up people. Were i exploring similar options this is totally the place i would ask for info.
Surley you can all exercise your holier than thou virtue signalling on your neighbors.
And welcome to you @nomadengineer.
Personally looking at some USA options now, but really not sure what it will be like anywhere, the few pics of long liftlines i see are not exactly calling out to me. Maybe i'll see how Montana is looking.
snow conditions
@essex, nothing is coming over holier than thou to me. The majority of us simply understand the law and obey it.

Maybe it's different in New Jersey...I wouldn't know....but I wouldn't expect you to know how it is here either
ski holidays
@essex, do you understand this pandemic? It would appear not. People moving around and coming into contact with others are what spreads the virus. That is why holiday travel is banned here, I'm surprised it's possible in the States, well perhaps in the Republican, freedom at all costs, ones. Take some moral responsibility and stay home, like the rest of us. It's nothing to do with "holier than thou", people are dying, we're trying to stay alive. Travelling right now (unless absolutely necessary e.g. for essential work or caring) is irresponsible, period.
latest report
Well I wonder if going to the Notarie to sign the final act of purchase of a house would let me sneak past the border controls!!!
snow conditions
@Philip1972, I did mine from UK wink
snow report
@Philip1972, do you want to speak past or look for alternatives like signing here or giving the notaire power of attorney?

Or is your post an attempt at humour?
snow conditions
A little attempt at humour.

I will do it via POA, I would just love to be able to go and see my new house.

But just like everyone else, I shall wait.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy